Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat and put away the damn sc

Options

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    If you drop 1lb of fat and 1lb of muscle from the same height at the same time, which one will hit the ground first?

Depends on how hungry I am.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Where's the fat vs muscle pic when you need it.

look... below :smile:
  • madhusky
    madhusky Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    not really sure but it would be messy ;)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    OP, just fyi a virtually identical post to this is made almost every week, and it's oft repeated throughout threads. If you haven't seen it yet then I'm surprised.

That said, it obviously bears repeating.
  • madhusky
    madhusky Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you drop 1lb of fat and 1lb of muscle from the same height at the same time, which one will hit the ground first?
    not sure but it would be messy ;)

(that quote should have been included on my previous post! blonde moment,)
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    When people say that muscle weighs more than fat, they mean per unit volume. No one thinks 5lbs. of anything does not weigh 5 lbs.
    Exactly!

I can be as pedantic as the next person, but even I don't have a cow over this one. Everyone understands what is meant by "muscle weighs more than fat" so why get so bent out of shape that they don't say "for the same volume". It's implied.
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Good lord, I'm so tired of seeing this over and over again. I have NEVER heard anyone argue that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat. I don't think many people are that stupid. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat, by volume. THAT is what people are referring to when they say muscle weighs more than fat, and they would be correct. They're saying exactly what you're saying, they're just using different words.

That said, I like your bit about obsessing over the scale :)

My sentiments
  • PunkRockDad
    Options
    I guess I picked the wrong subject for my 1st post on these forums.....damn, you guys are like pitbulls....:bigsmile: I like it.
  • heylatimer
    heylatimer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have been having conversations on this with other friends and there is something I cannot explain, or find an explanation for - there has to be one.

What causes someone to lose 17 inches (combined) but not lose any more than 1lb of overall weight over a 3 month period? This is the kind of situation that leads to the muscle weighs more than fat discussion.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    When people say that muscle weighs more than fat, they mean per unit volume. No one thinks 5lbs. of anything does not weigh 5 lbs.

Quoted multiple times for emphasis.
    I don't know why people argue 1lb=1lb, when we know this is what they mean

When someone says muscle weighs more than fat they are implying by volume, when something is implied you don't have to stated it "(by volume) muscle weighs more than fat" is how the statement should be taken.

This.

This entire "debate" makes me want to gouge my eyes out.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

^ Yup.

:drinker:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I guess I picked the wrong subject for my 1st post on these forums.....damn, you guys are like pitbulls....:bigsmile: I like it.
    LOL...for the record, just don't pick "lose vs. loose" or 'should I eat back my exercise calories" or the HGC diet as your second posts...hahaha.

Welcome to the forums though (it can be ugly sometimes) :drinker:
  • Skeemer118
    Options
    You-must-be-new-here.jpg

I :heart: you! :bigsmile:
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I have a bigger problem with people telling those who are in a caloric deficit/exercising and didn't lose weight (or even gained weight) that they gained muscle.

This argument of the weight of muscle vs fat is irrelevant.
  • PunkRockDad
    Options
    I have been having conversations on this with other friends and there is something I cannot explain, or find an explanation for - there has to be one.

What causes someone to lose 17 inches (combined) but not lose any more than 1lb of overall weight over a 3 month period? This is the kind of situation that leads to the muscle weighs more than fat discussion.

Because you are replacing the fat with muscle. Muscle takes up less space for the same amount of weight. I guarantee that the said person who lost 17 inches has a much much lower body fat% than when they started. Much lower.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

my #1 guess would be they are not measuring the exact same area, it is very hard to get the same measurement in the same place consistently. On the second one they probably want to see results so the pull the measuring tape tighter too.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options

Well that all depends if we're in a vacuum or not :wink:
  • Skeemer118
    Options
    If a pound of fat drops in the woods & no one is around to hear it....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Because you are replacing the fat with muscle. Muscle takes up less space for the same amount of weight. I guarantee that the said person who lost 17 inches has a much much lower body fat% than when they started. Much lower.

Yes, but it is very hard to gain muscle while in a caloric deficit. I would guess the person made mistakes and maybe lost less inches, and they were new to strength training, as when you are new to lifting you can have "beginners gains". But after that you will actually lose muscle as you lose weight.