When to Have the Marriage Talk

Options
12346»

Replies

• k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    my husband and i planned when to have that talk, shortly after we got serious in our relationship, and after we learned he would be moving away for school. knowing it would either be "get married" or "four years long distance"... i told him i wouldn't wait 4 years for a 'maybe' without some kind of commitment. he understood and proposed before he even left for school. :)

it was easy for us.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    PS (doing this here in case it gets lost): I think you NEED to have THE Talk as soon as possible!

You are obviously stressed about it enough that you are posting here. I think it will be a relief no matter what the conclusion is.

Let's say you want to get married and have kids -- no exceptions. He doesn't. It will be a relief that you WON'T have to start over in your 30's and feel you wasted your 20's on a relationship that had no future.

Following the above situation again, if he DOES want to get married and have kids, then it will be a relief that the talk was said and done. Make sure he isn't fibbing just to make you happy though. Sometimes people will lie about things hoping overtime the other person will forget, give up, etc.

Unless you think he doesn't want to have the talk because he might propose, I think you need to have it.
  • louigie15
    Options
    Is marriage what you really want? Is marriage what he really wants? You say you are both career oriented but be honest, most people get married to be a family and have children. If that is your idea of marriage he may not have the same thoughts about marriage and is worried you will want to have children soon after. You are already in your mid twenties and trying to pay off your student loans. Personally I think you are ready to settle down and start a family and he isn't so he says you aren't financially ready. I am not sure when anyone is anymore. My wife and I met in Nov 73, fell in love and got married in Jul 74. We are still married today and still not financially ready for a family or marriage but we have worked it out for going on 38 years. We have three children, 76, 78, and 1980.

Our biggest asset has always been our ability to talks about any subject. If your botfriend is unwilling to discuss then I would really say he has issues and you should probably look for someone who has the same ideals as you and wants the same things as you. When you find him he will probably still have concerns about money, children and the rest marriage entails but he will be willing to discuss it. You are still young and have time to go this route if you choose.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    yes, he should be willing to at least say yes, this is where our relationship is going - or it isn't. the fact that he's not willing to discuss it at all is a red flag to me.

That being said, a lot of men are afraid of even talking about it because they fear committment - and he is still young ifyou're only mid 20's.

I am 29, my boyfriend is almost 32, we've only been together 6 months but we have already talked about marriage. I don't know if it has anything to do with us being older or not.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    "I don't know if I am being a stereotypical girl or not. I just don't want for us to date for 3-5 more years, all the while this is up in the air, and then he decides that he's not a marriage guy or I'm not the girl for him. Then I'm early 30s and have to start over -- not the worst thing in the world, just not what I want for my future."

would you rather find out in 3-5 years that it isnt going to work and then have to go through divorce and start over?
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the responses. Not discussing it after this long is surely a red flag!!! Try as much as is humanly possible to take your love and emotion out and look at it logically. If it was your friend in this situation, what would you say to them? Me and my husband were talking marriage after two months. You should know where he stands. This may sound mean, but you don't want to wake up in your thirties, still with this guy with no committment. If you are wanting marriage and a family, there is nothing wrong with that at all!!! Don't compromise.
  • lexidell46
    lexidell46 Posts: 143
    Options
    I didn't find the right guy until I was in my 40's Ask your self are you in love with the idea of being in love, Or are you in love.I wasted 11 years on the same type of guy. But I did not marry him. Good luck, Just giving you the benefit of my experience.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    A couple of people question the need to get married and I think that's a valid question. I remember being in my mid 20's and wanting to get married (yes I remember what I said before, give it a second) but in hindsight, I only wanted to get married and have babies and have the house with the white picket fence because that's what you're "supposed" to do when you're in your 20's and it was what a few of my friends were doing. I was in that whole "always a bridesmaid, never a bride", poor-me mindset.

My point is (I'm also a rambler), think also about why you want to get married. Is it because youre nuts about this guy and you want to spend the rest of your life together and want that to start a.s.a.p. or is it because you feel like it's what you "should" be doing.

Lots for you to think about...good luck hun...
  • MoLove2025
    MoLove2025 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    MAKE HIM TALK ABOUT IT....if its something you want you need to know how he truly feels about it so you can move forward with him or without him. Im 25 and me and my boyfriend have been together for 2.5 years also we might not agree to when exactly it will happen ( i say in about 3 more years and he says sooner) but we both know we want it to happen.

Its the same with children......those two things can be a deal breaker for a relationship because they are things that most people want and if the significant other doesnt agree its a waist of time.

DONT WAIST YOUR TIME WITH SOMEONE WHO DOESNT HAVE THE SAME GOALS ABOUT MARRIAGE AND FAMILY AS YOU!!!
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    "The right time to have the marriage talk is when you're prepared to walk away if he doesn't tell you what you want to hear."

Great advice. Another good one was his answer yea, nay, or not sure does not make EITHER OF YOU a BAD person. It just makes you not in the same spot. That's ok- find someone in the same spot or even a better spot. Or be alone- not the worst thing in the world.
    I will tell you this: If you want a guy who let's you in to how he feels or what his intentions are they are out there! My fiance asked me to marry him all the time before he actually popped the question. It was great practice! He still asks me- although some days I'm not sure why he wants to be with me- haha! I would live with him in a cardboard box, I would live with him on the moon. I expect nothing but his partnership with me. He's a great partner. When I started saying I wasn't ready for the actual wedding (I wanted to pay off my car debt first) but I wouldn't mind an engagement ring, he didn't freak out- which was good because if he had I probably would've left. I don't want someone who isn't all in with me. I wouldn't have hated him for it. Turns out he had already been trying to get advice about a ring from his family. We got engaged at 18 mos, our wedding will be at almost 4 years in. I would say we've been acting like we were married since the beginning. I think pretty much everyone knew. Everyone is different- but if that is the story you want or need- it's out there. Don't settle for Mr. 80% or 90%. If you love your boyfriend and want to be with him regardless- stay! But if you need one thing, and he needs one thing- and you both can't figure out how to get to where you are both happy- RUN! and log the calories- haha! My gut feeling is that every guy who has ever really wanted me has let me know, without a doubt. Everyone else was just trying not to hurt my feelings but as a result was wasting my time. YOU DESERVE TO HAVE YOUR NEEDS MET! Now go get your happy...

ETA: I think there is no making him talk about it... you kinda have your answer already as to how he feels (aka he doesn't want to talk about it). So I would just do what feels best to you. Move out, heartfelt break up text, or if you can be content with his answer and boundary he's set at this point, DROP IT and go with the flow.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would re-word the question. I would ask what is expecting out of life in general, does he want to have a family eventually? See if your long term goals and his long term goals mesh. He may not be ready for marriage, do he hears the word and shuts down. But, talking about long term goals, that is a different approach. And if he does want to get married one day, then my question would be, do you see us getting married someday? If he is not sure, then you have an answer. When you are with the person you are meant to be with, there is no doubt, esp after 2 1/2 years.

Wanting to know where you stand is normal, and I don't blame you after dating for 2 1/2 years. It is important that he can discuss what he wants from the future with you, if he can't then there is a problem and you may want to evaluate your relationship.

Good luck, and I hope things work out for you.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Let's turn this around for a minute -

Why do *you* WANT to get get married (ever)?

I'm not asking this as a "marriage is bad, you're crazy to want it," but rather as a "what are the reasons it is of such importance to you?"

Then, use that previous comment's advice of "when really big stuff comes up, do you truly envision (with your head) yourself with this person?" to answer "is he the right man?"

Marriage, in my opinion, is highly advantageous for things like end of life decisions, finances, borrowing (for things like cars and homes), and a number of other things (in a legal context, marriage is essentially a meta-contract for something like a thousand other contracts). However, breaking the marriage contract can be messy, even when the split is (relatively) clean, mutual, and mature. In short, it is by no means a decision that should be made lightly, or solely because "that's what people do."

If you love him and really do want to spend the rest of your life with him, what reasons do you have for making marriage part of the equation? If you can provide sound, logical reasoning for it, then he might be more open to it, but you'll probably need to broach the topic more in a "what is your vision of our future?" sort of way, instead of expecting marriage to be a part of the discussion.

As for being financially "ready," I think you're confusing "marriage" with "wedding." If anything, your finances get better when you get married, thanks to tax breaks and pooled resources (though arguably, you can pool your resources without being married). What most people go crazy on financially is the wedding - a ring that costs 3 month's rent, a dress that costs nearly as much, and a wedding as a whole that you'd be paying off for the next three years.

Guess what? You don't need any of that to get married. You need $50 and a couple of friends, a 20-minute trip to the local courthouse and the marriage contract is signed and goes into effect.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you're afraid of being alone, and maybe of not ever having kids. I wouldn't be surprised if you've read some of those stories where women wanted to wait until they got their career to where they wanted, only to realize at 35 or 40, their chances of a healthy pregnancy, or having kids at all, have severely diminished for one reason or another and decided that you don't want to be like them. It's perfectly valid to feel that way, but staying with someone who doesn't share your goals of starting a family, regardless of whether marriage is at all involved, is not really going to help your cause.

My other thought is that you like the *idea* of GETTING married, and/or of having a wedding. If that is the case, then you need to seriously rethink your motives for wanting to get married, because the wedding only lasts a day or so (or a week, if you're from India, but even that is a short time in the grand scheme of things), the marriage is supposed to be the rest of your life.

That said, if/when you want to bring the topic up with him, do it in terms of the future and NOT of marriage. It's pretty obvious he's deathly afraid of the "M-word," so don't bring that up right now. Instead, talk about things like pooling resources, getting a place together, his thoughts on having kids (carefully! This is another one that can get you the same reaction), make it clear that you're talking on a 5+ year timeline and just want to make sure you two are on the same page.

If he's not, then determine whether you would rather stay with him anyway, or break it off. If you decide to break it off, the sooner you do it, the better, before resentment sets in and bad feelings poison what would have otherwise been a civil and clean break. Doing so may also leave you both with the open door to a future relationship, should your goals align better in the future. After it's done, don't fret about it. Mourn your loss, if needed (it does take time to recover from a long and serious relationship), then move on and enjoy your life.

Que sera, sera. What will be, well be.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Why would he want to get married? What benefit does get get out of this one?
    Do you live with him? Are you saving yourself for marriage?

Its like having your cake, and eating it too.

We don't live together, and NO, I did not save myself for marriage. As far as I know, that hasn't stopped men from marrying their "ruined women" before.

Most people want to get married because they love someone. The benefit is being with that person you love every day, starting a family with them, and going through life together. I would hope that's his benefit for marrying me.

You can do all this without the waste of time and expense that marriage is. It's a piece of legal paper that traps you. Why do that do either of you. Just be together and be happy, have a family, buy a house, do the whole thing. Why is marriage such a thing. I don't get it.
  • Ticktockman
    Options
    A lot of guys see marriage as possibly good, possibly bad, definitely scary. Your boyfriend might not know what his long term plans for marriage are. There are good and bad aspects of marriage; many guys see that and are ambivalent about it. When I was in my mid 20s, I really had no idea when or if I wanted to be married. I just knew that I wasn't ready for it right then.

If he really doesn't know what he wants, then asking him to discuss his feelings is asking him to make a decision. He risks losing you by saying he doesn't want it. He risks leading you on if the day that he's ready for marriage never comes. This might explain why he's stalling.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing your boyfriend or saying that you don't have a right to know what he's thinking. He needs to be able to talk about it and be honest with you whether he wants it, doesn't want it, or has no idea.
  • DynamicDiva
    DynamicDiva Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Does he flat out say he wants to get married with someone some day or does he completely avoid the topic of marriage?
    If the latter is the case then at least for now he is still keeping his options open to play the field.

He completely avoids the topic, but also says things about how he could never find someone who loves him like I do, who puts up with him like I do, who he could love as much as me, etc etc. Conflicting statements going on!

There is nothing conflicting about this statement. Based on what I have read thus far. It appears as though your boyfriend has made it quite clear where he stands. Most men know if you're the one by the 1 year mark. Secondly, what he is saying is that there is not another woman that is going to let him get away with what you have thus far. Maybe he just loves what he is allowed to do with you (meaning string you along). Personally, I just would not be okay with a man just telling me that he wants to marry me someday and we never finalize an agreeable time frame. You both have to want the same things and the fact that he is not willing to even discuss a guture with you should be a HUGE red flag. I mean, it's been 2.5 years already. Sometimes men just hold on until the find something they believe to be better. If I were you, I would continue with my life as if you have no future because basically you don't----there is no meeting of the minds. Make the necessary career strides to get where you need to be and make the money necessary to get yourself in a better predicament---so that when the next guy comes along---your financial status is not an issue.

Now I wish you guys the best and my comments are based soley on your view of your situation only--not his, but I would say that "He's just not that in to you."
  • DynamicDiva
    DynamicDiva Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    A man will know if wants to marry you or think that your "wifey" material in a matter of months . 2 1/2 years is a long time and u let him get comfortable. My advice , give him a timetable ultimatum and gauge his reaction. See if he's scared to lose you.

I agree with Dave. A guy I dated before told me the same thing. And he said that they definitely know within the first year. He and I are not together though because he wanted more than I did and I didn't want to waste any more of his time. Even though I communicated to him in many ways that I did not want us to live together and that I wasn't taking his talks about marriage seriously, he obviously thought that I was just talking. Long story short--I knew that it would never go any further than it had (and this was 2 years later). So I would suggest that you reassess your relationship and make the necessary decision for you.
  • watchthescale
    watchthescale Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ever heard the saying "he's just not that into you". I think you should see the writing on the wall. If the guy were really into you there would be no need to have this conversation. He'd be crazy about you and you wouldn't be able to stop him from talking about it. The key word in that quote is "THAT". He may like you alot... but if he doesn't want to discuss marriage, then he isn't into you the way you need someone to be.