When I see overweight people running...

Options

Replies

• mowink55
    mowink55 Posts: 10
    Options
    I think 'way to go for taking control of your life'! Keep going. No one is going to take care of you but you.
  • mowink55
    mowink55 Posts: 10
    Options
    So true!!!!
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just wanna high five them and say 'you rock'.

it's one thing to be inspired by a fit person running, you know to think, i want that body, i want that healthy lifestyle, the self discipline, etc. but seeing an overweight person running inspires me to believe that I can do it too, to find that drive to push myself, and that's where it all begins.
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    To the person who was worried about jiggling and people judging you for it, I say this: Jiggling is just your fat crying. If you're not jiggling, you're not running hard enough...and that goes for anyone, overweight or otherwise. Honesty, I don't judge people getting their jiggle on. When I'm feeling self-conscious, I tell myself, "Make that fat cry!!" :sad:

funny. :bigsmile:
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    We don't leave our houses in our birthday suits because we might get arrested or in trouble with the law for in decent exposure...lol.

I'm so sorry that you struggle with this. But you will need to get over caring what others think and focus on the big picture! There's always someone who will have something negative to think or say, but you choose to either take it or leave it.

There are 400 lb people every season of the Biggest Loser weighing in in front of millions of viewers. I'm sure they had to get over it quick if they wanted to be there and get the weight off.

If you still care about other seeing you run then perhaps running in a secluded park or trail or on a treadmill at home is your best solution until you begin to build up more confidence in yourself. There's a lot of motivational music you can play as well.
  • CrazyLazyStylist
    CrazyLazyStylist Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm not on BL, but would feel like all eyes were on me weighing in if I was. Its a different situation there, youre surrounded by people with the same problem as you. When I workout I'm surrounded by people who are maintaining or have 'those last few pounds' to lose. I am a minority in size working out...And OK, about the birthday suits, my point was we all care to an extent. We dont all wear bikinis out just because its a hot day (no arrests here)

It can make me feel uncomfortable. Thats just me.

Anyhow, I went to a way more populated park today, and didn't feel like all eyes were on me. Thanks for everyones great comments!!
  • BigDfromNJ
    BigDfromNJ Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When I see someone overweight working out I think,..." WOW good for them,!", in fact If I'm also jogging along and pass them, I say "Hi" and tell them to "keep going you're doing great"! Don't be afraid to work out in front of people. I have found I now have a regular group of folks who jog/walk at the same time I do. I consider them my workout buddies even though we only say hi in passing. A month ago someone stopped me to tell me how great I"m doing and they can really tell I'm shaping up. It felt so good. So I say, get out there and jog away!:smile:
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I run C25K too, I'm still "obese" and I've made it to the end of week six.
    I run in the gym on a treadmill and now I feel incredibly proud when I'm running and the "fit" skinny girls next to me can't run as long as I can.
    I'm happy to be fitter... Thinner will come.
    Focus on you, I feel an affinity with other overweight runners. You can do it!
  • confuzzledwife
    Options
    I feel the same way you do, it's kind of funny. I know what you mean about people parking their cars and just looking or staring.. I have actually left the track when that happens, I hate it and I don't want anyone looking at me. That being said, I ended up doing my workouts at home, on my TV when no one in the house is up to see me exercise. lol.. pathetic I know.. BUT.. if I REALLY want to get out, (actually, I'm a walker not a runner), but I wear headphones and just get lost in my favorite music and drown everyone else out!

When I see overweight people doing anything physical, I envy that they are out there trying to do something good for themselves, and they're not shy like me... I never thought anything bad of anyone exercising.
  • ALHicks
    ALHicks Posts: 145
    Options
    I am overweight with about 100+ pounds to lose and I am on week 5 of the couch 2 5K. I think they should be happy for me because I am out there trying to do something about my situation. If they want to think negative things then I think they need to spend more time on themselves and not worry about me.
  • 5Btieden
    5Btieden Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Honestly...I have never seen an overweight person run for exercise. Maybe running after a kid or after an animal, but not for sport. But I HAVE seen an overweight person biking and it was back when I was under 20. I didn't have very nice thoughts. Mostly "keep going fatty". Little did I know that "I" would be the fatty one day.

I started the C25K program in January and had to work up the nerve to run in front of people. I have been running in front of a group of older people for a while now in an old school gym and since the weather is improving I have started to run around town as well. Yes, I definitely do worry about what people think. But as long as I don't have to hear their comments, I will be ok.

I am afraid to join the gym in the town I work in because they have a huge window where you can see people exercising. I don't want people to drive by and think "keep going fatty" if they see me working out there.

Now that I am an overweight person trying to get healthy again, I am so proud of ANYONE I see out improving their health! I feel SO much better now that I am working towards that goal too!! Sorry if I offended anyone with my thinking but that is how I USED to feel.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    BTW people who park their cars and don't get out are buying/selling/doing drugs... or getting head, so they usually aren't paying attention to you unless you are a cop... I just wait until it is dark to go running, cuz I know damn well that I look ridiculous.
    Edit: I can't spell.
  • jdcraik
    jdcraik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I run marathons - I run about 40 miles per week - I often run 20 miles at a time - I have read at least a dozen books on running form, sneakers, strategy and work outs - in short I'm somewhat of a running snob.

When I see someone overweight running all I can think is "GREAT, GOOD FOR YOU - KEEP IT UP!!" I know world class runners (including a former Olympian) who feel the same way so . . . "GREAT, GOOD FOR YOU - KEEP IT UP !!"
  • buttercup922
    Options
    I have more respect for anyone who is older or overweight out there running or in the gym.

*My biggest inspiration was when I saw the Biggest Looser competitors run a marathon. *

That's what made me decide to try my first 5K. Since then I've become a bit addicted to races; they keep me committed.

Thanks to all those who aren't the "ideal" looking runner/gym rat, I think it's harder to overcome the insecurities of appearance than just trying to work out among all the hard core work-out people and blend in.
  • katherinemm31
    Options
    When I see overweight people running, I am jealous. I used to run before the knees and bladder started complaining.

I'm thinking it would be way more embarrassing to pee your pants while you're running than just to be seen running. :laugh:
  • Dstny1957
    Dstny1957 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am in awe and amazed, basically when I see anyone regardless of their age or size running. I have a back injury, and was told by my orthopedist.....no running. I didn't listen and being an avid walker, I thought I would try running. I started VERY slowly, and ended up really messing myself up. Went to another Dr. (he was an Ironman/Triathlete) and he said OMG, stop running. I was really disillusioned and depressed. But I had to repair the damage I had done, and start walking again. I know I cannot try running again, but I am so impressed by people that can run. So go out there and run, run your butt off! If you can do it, please do. I wish I could. I still do the 5K's I'm in the back of the pack, but I walk the fastest that I can, and work my hardest. That's what counts!
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    I weigh 312lbs, and I run C25k three times a week at the gym. I sweat like crazy, get red an the face, and make horrible faces towards the end of my running intervals.

There are always going to be people who stare. Most of the people at my gym are either elderly, body-builder types, or the stereotypical soccer mom's with the near perfect bodies; not too many of us fatties. Sometimes people look over while I'm running and give an encouraging smile. Sometimes they look surprised. A trainer actually came up to my girlfriend and I a couple of weeks ago, and told us what a great job we're doing.

That being said, there are *kitten* everywhere. Some people watch as though they're waiting for me to keel over. I have been next to skinny people who increase the speed on their treadmill every time I do. I ignore them. I'm not running to impress anyone, I'm running because I want to be healthy.

There's this one lady who we've see working out most days for the past month or so. She probably weighs more than I do, and I wish I could tell her how much I admire her drive and what she's doing without sounding creepy.

When I see a fat person running, I want to give them a big, sweaty hug and tell them that they're doing a great job. I wish society was a little more accepting of honest compliments; I always worry that people will be offended and think that I'm mocking them.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am that overweight person running and everything you have read on here is SO true!!! I cannot tell you how it 'spurs' me on to have people ask me 'Are you walking at all? Is this your 2nd lap? Go girl Go!'
    So much so, I ran 2 extra miles on Thursday just so I could tell the guys who thought I was on my second lap that it was actually my 4th! I ran 6.2 miles for the first time in 3 months and then walked another mile:)
    I promise you people will be very supportive and you will encourage THEM!!!
  • jomiley23
    jomiley23 Posts: 76
    Options
    It's motivation but discouraging at the same time. It makes me feel lazy! LOL I'm overweight and top heavy so I sit there and wish I had the guts to go do that. But over all, GOOD FOR THEM!

Yeah...I'm more self conscious about "bounce" than I am about being overweight. All my friends who run are itty bitty. But I have two big time runner friends who are not, and they inspire me.
  • mistyrn83
    mistyrn83 Posts: 19
    Options
    AMEN to that!!! I want to throw things when someone looks a "smaller person" and says," why are you worrying about exercise, your skinny???" UMMMM Hello doesnt mean they are healthy by any means!!!