WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2012

Options

Replies

• Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I'm in GRAND BABY HEAVEN!!!!:love::love: :love:

Walked all over Chicago and you are right...chasing a 3 year old is WORK!!! So think any extra calories I didn't figure correctly at our nice dinner out are moslty gone:tongue::tongue: *(I forgot...3 year olds do not WALK....they RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tongue::tongue: )

Happy Weekend and love to all of you! kackie:heart:

congrats on your new grand daughter, and enjoy them both!!!!!have fun:flowerforyou:
  • susanp15
    susanp15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just saw this board and need to join. I'm 53 and 5'2" and joined MFP 50 days ago. It helps keep me accountable and I'm more aware of what I'm putting in my mouth! I've lost 5 lbs. so far; so I believe that it will be a slow but sure weight loss. A week ago I also started exercising with the "Beachbody Slim in 6 program". My biggest inspiration has been my best friend, who has been very successful with MFP.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Plateau City

I've been out of town for awhile, visiting a place called Plateau City. It's not a bad place, really, it's fairly laid back and by no means a tourist trap. The streets aren't lined with brightly colored items for sale, or postcards. You can't find any candy or jewelry anywhere. There are no little tents or canopies set up along the roads with wares for sale or carts being tended by food vendors. I miss the aroma of corn dogs. There might be an occasional whiff of a solitary pine tree. Flowers don't bloom very often in Plateau City. I think I saw a rose blooming there last time I visited. Just one rose, dirty, dusky pink in color and not the least bit fragrant. The street lights are on at night but are rather on the dim side.

Plateau City is located up at the top of a very steep slope which takes weeks and possibly months to climb. Once you reach the top you'll find the landscape is flat and mostly barren, much like a mesa in the southwestern states. On the ground are stones and dirt. Dust storms blow the sand up into your face every so often, reminding you that you're visiting a place you're not accustomed to and one you don't want to remain in for long.

It's a place I don't really care to visit, but for some reason I've been forced into going there several times on my journey. This time seems like the longest, most drawn out of all. There's no going up, no going down. I'm stuck there. I've been looking all over for a trail leading downward towards the lower valleys which are teeming with enthusiasm and success.

One thing to consider about Plateau City is that it might be akin to the neighboring town of Maintenence. I think I'll take note of this fact and store it away for future reference. After all, there will be a future once I've left this dismal, flat patch of ground.

:bigsmile: Have a great weekend everyone, hope we all make plans to hang out with the Salad Sistas. I paid them a visit twice yesterday, they were so glad to see me.

jb
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday :glasses: Today my BFF and I are heading to Santa Barbara for a girls weekend away. Today normally is my weight in day but I will wait for next Saturday, this week had alcohol, some bread and those DARN Girl Scout cookies. I will try to watch this weekend but I am not going to let it ruin my fun. Monday is a new day. Will get in lots of walking, so that should help.

JB- love your post you are so witty.

Kackie-GrandBaby Heaven is my reason to lose weight. I have a 3yr old GS and a GD due on April 5th. I want to be able to get off the floor when I play trucks and dolls with her when she gets here.

Barbi-started doing squats, do 10 while my coffee is brewing, do 10 when I dry my hair, still need to find that book on strength will work harder next week with WII to work on strength.

Happy Weekend, will try log my food on my phone.

Sherry
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Ah, it’s Saturday. :happy: I am on the couch, looking south, and I can hear birds singing in the maple tree. Time to refill the bird feeders.

Not just Saturday, but the first day of Spring Break. I have two weeks off with DH and J’Boy. No specific plans. We'll work on the house renovation projects, do some skiing, cook some good food, keep up the workout schedule…all at my own pace. :smile: Sigh of contentment.

Division 6 classroom report: We never got to measure volume using water displacement yesterday! We got caught up in calculating % of error between estimates and actual measurements. My students were surprisingly intense and having such fun that I just went with it and we spent the whole lesson on question one.

In the afternoon they painted designs on their Hoplite (ancient Greek soldier) shields and watched the movie “Clash of the Titans”. Well, the boys watched the fighting scenes. :wink: The girls just painted and talked. The classroom is now ringed with 1-meter diameter cardboard shields decorated with terrifying paintings of medusas, gorgons, evil eyes, three headed dogs, harpies, minotaurs and one blue dolphin (she’s such a sweet girl! :heart: ).

Have I ever mentioned that I really enjoy my job?

On the fitness front, I attended a spin class, then came home and ate pizza (but righteous pizza, thin crust vegetarian with ½ the cheese) and had a beer with clamato juice. At 7:15 I was suddenly too tired to do anything, not even finish the crossword puzzle DH and I were working on. :ohwell: I went straight to bed and slept until 7:00 this morning. I think it must be the weight lifting! Gotta say I feel great today!

Blissfuldrake I am glad to read that Vic is safely home.:flowerforyou: Love the idea of a “Certified Therapy Puppy”.

Realpure – “I saw so many frail women when I was getting rehab.” Oh, I am so there with you! I am 5’1” inches tall and small boned – my wrists are about 4” around. If there’s one thing I am determined not to be it’s frail. No, no, no.:explode: I also agree that taking medication for chronic pain can do more harm than good. On the other hand, chronic pain can take a big slice out of the joy in life, so one has to find a balance. I have arthritis in my feet and manage the pain in a variety of ways but try to take as few meds as possible because I’m afraid if I can’t feel it I might do more damage.

Lynn, your work experience reminds me that not all the suffering in the airport security line-up is endured by the passengers.:grumble: Great to be back at spinning! I just discovered it and I think it’s great.

Michele, Oh church food! :tongue: Not the place for fine nutrition, but a fine place for friends and fellowship. I have learned to avoid the after service tea, now I just do a walk through and say hi on my way out the door.

JB, Plateau City does not sound like a fun place to spend Spring Break, I hope you find a way down soon. :flowerforyou:

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • graycatbird
    graycatbird Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    HI, everyone! I just joined this thread -- just joined MFP about a week ago. I saw a mention of those darned Girl Scout cookies on here, and I can identify! My food was going really well until the GS cookies arrived. Time for me to get a grip.

My name is Sue; I'm 65 years old and live in Portland, Maine. I love to garden and am getting really excited about spring coming!

I've struggled with my weight and overeating my whole adult life. I've finally gotten myself into the habit of exercising, but am still struggling with the food. I'm reading "The Mayo Clinic Diet" (from the real Mayo Clinic, not one of the many diets that are not from the clinic), to try to get a plan going that emphasizes good nutrition more. Any one else have any experience that that diet? The first part, where you supposedly lose weight very quickly, is just too strict for me, so I'm not doing that. I need moderation, or I'll end up in a big backlash! It's happened to me more times than I care to think about.

Anyway, I'm trying to get more involved with MFP in order to increase my motivation. This looks like a great group!

Sue
  • TeTeAngel
    TeTeAngel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! March is half over, but hopefully I can still join you. I really need some support, so any friend request would be great. I have been on MFP for a couple of months. I had a good start and have now come to a stand still. I am feeling a bit low about that. Perhaps having people I support and that support me will get me going again.

My March goals are: Walk 3 days with strength training
    Dance exercise 3 days

My birthday is March 21st. Hopefully I will have less of me by then. I am looking forward to working with you guys!
  • geesdubya
    geesdubya Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's mid March, but I would love to join you guys!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Plateau City

I've been out of town for awhile, visiting a place called Plateau City. It's not a bad place, really, it's fairly laid back and by no means a tourist trap. The streets aren't lined with brightly colored items for sale, or postcards. You can't find any candy or jewelry anywhere. There are no little tents or canopies set up along the roads with wares for sale or carts being tended by food vendors. I miss the aroma of corn dogs. There might be an occasional whiff of a solitary pine tree. Flowers don't bloom very often in Plateau City. I think I saw a rose blooming there last time I visited. Just one rose, dirty, dusky pink in color and not the least bit fragrant. The street lights are on at night but are rather on the dim side.

Plateau City is located up at the top of a very steep slope which takes weeks and possibly months to climb. Once you reach the top you'll find the landscape is flat and mostly barren, much like a mesa in the southwestern states. On the ground are stones and dirt. Dust storms blow the sand up into your face every so often, reminding you that you're visiting a place you're not accustomed to and one you don't want to remain in for long.

It's a place I don't really care to visit, but for some reason I've been forced into going there several times on my journey. This time seems like the longest, most drawn out of all. There's no going up, no going down. I'm stuck there. I've been looking all over for a trail leading downward towards the lower valleys which are teeming with enthusiasm and success.

One thing to consider about Plateau City is that it might be akin to the neighboring town of Maintenence. I think I'll take note of this fact and store it away for future reference. After all, there will be a future once I've left this dismal, flat patch of ground.

:bigsmile: Have a great weekend everyone, hope we all make plans to hang out with the Salad Sistas. I paid them a visit twice yesterday, they were so glad to see me.

jb

Enjoying a quiet Saturday Morning:flowerforyou:

Jb- I'm sure that everyone on MFP at some time or another has been to both "cities" and not because we have wanted to visit there:grumble: and I know we have never packed the right luggage to get there:wink:

Kackie- I'm sure that every 3yr old needs a tee shirt that has "catch me if you can...." on the back :laugh: Glad to hear you are enjoying those grandbabies.

Lynn- I know that when my parents were alive and came to visit me and I watched them through security that my Mom was always nervous about what the security would smell when they checked her:blushing: and I'm sure that woman was equally embarresed too.

Hubby has just left to take his guns target shooting giving me time alone here at home...I love being home alone after a week at work, something I don't get very much. I'm wondering if it has something to do with being an only child that I love it so much:huh:

Yesterday was our #1 Sons 35th Birthday, it seems like yesterday we were just 22:noway: and hanging out at the hospital, where oh where does the time go? I miss seeing him on a regular basis since he & his wife live in Las Vegas, but it is only a 12 hr drive away...we just have to plan when we take that trip.

So last night hubby wanted to go out to dinner and so we splurged and went to Red Lobster, I somehow managed to keep my calories in check and the scale was the same this am. I am planning on hitting the cookbooks this weekend and make somemore kitchen experiments in low fat, low calorie, high veggies and keeping my fingers crossed they are all successes that hubby likes:wink:

Everyone have a good Saturday, I'm off to test "drive" my new kettlebell exercise DVD let's all keep moving and :drinker: drink your water:drinker: it really does make a difference.

Laura80111:smile:
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies. I just got on a computer for the first time in 4 days. I'm accompanying my DH, who is at a lawyers' conference in South Beach/Miami. While he's been in lawyer classes, I've skipped all the tours and other activities for spouses, and I've been walking and hitting the hotel gym, so I've been able to get lots of exercise. I think I can recommend accompanying someone to a conference and spending all your free time exercising as a sort of fitness splurge. Also I've been fairly successful staying on track with my diet, but I very much miss the organic food I'm used to eating at home in California. Many of the meals at the conference are buffets and banquets where there's little or no choice except to eat or not eat what's there. (I've been able to stick to my low carb regimen at the breakfast buffet by eating scrambled eggs and sliced tomatoes, but I never eat whole eggs or even non-organic egg whites at home, and I feel like if I have to eat more eggs tomorrow, I might gag.)

South Beach is an interesting place to stay for 4 days if you're on a fitness quest. There are a lot of very fit people of all ages out on the biking/jogging/walking path and in the fitness courses in the park. That's been pretty motivating to me. The fellows are amazing-looking, and I've seen some awesome, muscle-building women working out in the parks. In Lummus Park, there is a public, free, outdoor gym, which I tried once. I even did some of my daily partial push ups outdoors, on the low wall of the walking path. While out on my walks, I also stopped to socialize with a lot of dogs and their people. It seems as if half the dogs here are terriers and Yorkies seem to be especially popular. I've also seen some Standard Poodles, which, of course, made me miss my two a lot. The weather here has been mild, in the low, 70s, but I wonder how the Standard Poodles cope with summer heat here!

We're flying home tomorrow, so I will probably have to go without exercise, except for walking through the airports. I will have to seize whatever opportunities turn up to burn calories. Maybe squats while standing in the security line, Barbie ; D

Judy
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday Afternoon Ladies...

Busy day & week here in SC...but I'm thrilled with my diet/exercise results. This morning at weigh-in I am finally under 175 lbs! Woo Hoo...17 pounds lost since January 3rd! Happy Girl Here. I may even make my 25 pound pledge for Losing Pounds for Hounds!

Worked those HotPants on the treadmill yesterday morning, and this morning under my jeans while I mopped & treated our (what seems like acres of) hardwoods. I am loving them! I really can feel the heat that they generate. Am hoping to see some inches gone when I re-measure in two weeks.

Hubby is fixing a seafood medley tonight...he's already warned me that "butter will be involved".

Have a great weekend ladies...

MEG
  • brunsda
    brunsda Posts: 78
    Options
    Happy Saturday evening..

Welcome to all the new ladies!

Blissfuldrake-glad to Vic is home. :flowerforyou:

Lynn-great that you were able to go to spin class YAY!!

Michele-oh yes those fat-filled fish fries on Friday nights. Sounds like you made the best choices you could. Good for you!:smile:

Sally-glad to hear you are feeling better.

Kackie-sounds like you are having a great time with those grandbabies. So happy you are able to be there.

jb- I just don't understand why they don't provide maps..??? . :bigsmile:

Sherry-enjoy your weekend away. It sounds wonderful.

Nancy-I always enjoy it when students take lessons in an unexpected way. It is so great when they are engaged like that. Enjoy your spring break.

Judy- when you mentioned doing squats in the security line, I could just imagine some curious stares. Then I thought...wait a minute, Judy may just start a new trend.

Meg- congratulations on being under 175 pounds!:happy:

My BF left Tuesday to move back to Connecticut. :cry: I am going to miss her. Work was stressful this week. Had dental issues to deal with for myself and my son.:grumble: Had some surprise phone calls that were not expected and brought unwelcome news. The good news is I stayed within my calorie goals most days and got exercise in.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Dawn
  • mynewfuture
    Options
    I am new to mfp. i would love to join this group. hope to make friends, better my life and be healthy while here.
  • scompton54
    scompton54 Posts: 116
    Options
    I went for what is probably the last cross country ski of the year today, given the weather forecasts. I'm taking my skis east when I go visit my girls and other family in Montreal and Ottawa but doubt they will make it out of the car. I am going to have to figure out how I will get my exercise in as I like the extra eating calories that exercise gives me. As expected, I have dropped 2 pounds this week after no loss last week,,,,,that's the way it goes with me. I'll be entering my food on my phone app but am not sure if I can post here.

Welcome to all the newcomers.....this thread has been great for me as a motivator to keep on working it and a great source of information. I get inspiration not only from the posts but also reading others' food diaries and exercise logs....great ideas abound.

Wishing everyone a great week!

regards

Sarah
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hi! asking for prayers for a friend of mine of 30+ years.Found out she has a kidney tumor.They are doing surgery Mon.
    Hope everyone is having a good week-end.
    HUGS
    jane
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Welcome Susan! Wow! We used to live in Stroudsburg! Went back up recently for a funeral and we couldn't believe how 611 had grown! Traffic was bad when we were there, but it must be a real nightmare now. When my kids were little, they used to go to ESU for Kids. Do they still have that program? Glad your friend turned you on to MFP. Keep posting and you'll get more support than you ever dreamed of!

jb - LOVED reading your story. You have a real way with words!

kackie - have fun with that grandbaby. Bet you'll come back having lost a lot of weight with all the running around you'll be doing

I made this sunburst cheesecake for this guy at the Y. It's his birthday this Wednesday. Not real healthy, if you ask me. Bur it looks good

Welcome Sue! Just last night Vince said "a sad thing has occurred. I just opened the last box of Girl Sout cookies" Fortunately, it's not the kind I like.

teteangel - of course you can join! We're so glad to have ya! What kind of dance exercise do you do? Same for you, geesdubya, of course you can join

Did an hour of yoga today. Tomorrow I'll do an hour of hula hoop on the Wii

Dawn - sorry about this week. Sounds like you did well under the circumstances

mynewfuture - welcome to a great bunch of gals

We had a neighborhood get together tonight. I brought beef stuffed shells. As usual, I made too many, but we can have leftovers so I'm not concerned. What did surprise me was the fact that I had absolutely no desire for any of the desserts and it didn't take a lot to fill me up. Unfortunately, there weren't any veges (boo hoo). This get together is for the adults, the one in October is usually for the children. At that one there is very little decent food, mostly hot dogs and hamburgers. Personally, if I don't go, I won't be real sorry. But I do like the one for the adults, maybe next year I'll bring a veggie tray. I didn't realize that the lady whose house it was at is selling to Body by Vi protein shakes. Someone gave me a sample.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • cowgirlzride
    Options
    Nancy I am loving your all around positive thoughts. Sandi
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm in GRAND BABY HEAVEN!!!!:love::love: :love:

Walked all over Chicago and you are right...chasing a 3 year old is WORK!!! So think any extra calories I didn't figure correctly at our nice dinner out are moslty gone:tongue::tongue: *(I forgot...3 year olds do not WALK....they RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tongue::tongue: )

Happy Weekend and love to all of you! kackie:heart:
    They move so fast. Imagine we use to move that fast.
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! Glad to find a thread for "women of a certain age". I turned 57 in January and joined MFP 5 days ago. I've been working on losing 35-40 pounds for the past six months and I'm within 5 pounds of my goal, BUT... now I've been reading about how lifting heavy will get me into the shape I want to be faster, even if I don't lose those last five pounds. So my goals for the month have changed:

• Find some cheap weights somewhere - craigslist from someone who gave up or bought new, maybe?
    • Buy a copy of New Lifting Rules for Women and READ IT!! And watch some of the videos other members
    were kind enough to provide in this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/520056-strength-weight-training-don-t-go-to-gyms-and-limited-spa
    • Start cutting back on the cardio and increasing the strength training
    • Take a picture of how I look now so I can see what difference it actually makes

I am determined to have a bikini body by July and our 35th anniversary vacation in Hawaii!

I look forward to getting to know all of you in the months to come. =)
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Michelle, You so inspire me.The way you can cook and not eat it. Or just limit yourself. I too love to cook. I'm getting better at not over indulging. I look at lowering fat and lower salt.
    welcome to all the newcomers. If support is what you are looking for you have found it.
    Joyce