to fat to exersize

hey guys i am having a little trouble,

I would love to get out there and run every day to start off my day but i have two problems

1) i have trouble actually leaving my door,
and when i get the courage to leave the house
2) i am so scared people are going to make fun of me like this super fat chick running and puffing and dying

has anyone else had this problem

how did you over come it?

HalP

Replies

• I struggle with the same feeling. What I try to do is instead jog in my own house. If my schedule could be adjusted, I would run early in the morning, before the sun comes up on back roads. (More private). Also, we should both be more confident, atleast we're trying, right? And that's more than some can say. ;)
  • ConquistadorofLife
    ConquistadorofLife Posts: 14 Member
    Thats what my mum says and im like but. . . . yeahh
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I get it, I do. I used to be 250 and very self concious, Hell I still am. The bottom line is F#$K what everyone else thinks. This journey isn't about them, it's about you. You want to run, go run. Put in some headphones and go kill it. When they're still in plus size clothes and you're in a size 2 you'll be the one chuckling.
  • renstwin
    renstwin Posts: 66 Member
    Why not do some workout DVD's in your own home to incorporate some exercise until you feel more confident?

:)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    You are never too fat to to get healthy. You should never feel funny about wanting to get healthy. Hold your head high and get out there. Start out walking and lowering your calorie intake. You can do this. Don't let anyone tell you you can't. :flowerforyou:
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    I run in the dark at evening for this exact reason! But honestly, even if you're the fatty on a run, at least you're running, and not on the sofa stuffing yourself with junk food! Don't be afraid to step a little outside of your comfort zone, but just remember to only step a little bit over than line each day - it's like exercising, build up to it gradually!

Plus, once you've started getting your fitness up a little, you will feel more confident, and then be able to feel a little more relaxed about it - I was actually smiling on my run the other night lmao! (probably looked a right muppet, but I was enjoying it!)
  • ConquistadorofLife
    Scott you're right (and have a nice profile picture) but you are right

Renstwin, i have tried Zumba at home, i think i need to be out of my comfort zone, i just wonder if anyone else had this hurdle

dls thanks you are right also, <3

thanks guys
  • I get it, I do. I used to be 250 and very self concious, Hell I still am. The bottom line is F#$K what everyone else thinks. This journey isn't about them, it's about you. You want to run, go run. Put in some headphones and go kill it. When they're still in plus size clothes and you're in a size 2 you'll be the one chuckling.

LOVE this! ^^^ So true! :)
  • ConquistadorofLife
    I run in the dark at evening for this exact reason! But honestly, even if you're the fatty on a run, at least you're running, and not on the sofa stuffing yourself with junk food! Don't be afraid to step a little outside of your comfort zone, but just remember to only step a little bit over than line each day - it's like exercising, build up to it gradually!

Plus, once you've started getting your fitness up a little, you will feel more confident, and then be able to feel a little more relaxed about it - I was actually smiling on my run the other night lmao! (probably looked a right muppet, but I was enjoying it!)
    Awwh Kermet!!

I really cant wait til i am fit all you guys are soo right
  • kellymarie111
    kellymarie111 Posts: 51 Member
    Hun I totally understand what your saying, but even it was a "skinny" girl running theyd still look anyways! I've been exercising at home, and it's way more comfortable than going out to the big wide world for people to stare at the fat chick walking down the road, even though some may look at "us" and laugh and others may think I'm a total different way and say..."gosh she's big but look at her go, least she's trying" so maybe try doing stuff at home I've been using my wii and its great fun and instead of sitting down watching tv I turn the wii on and even of its 5 or 10 or 1hr at at time at least you'll be doin something. Chin up mate, you'll be fine :-) x
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Just go out and do it chickie. I still feel a little self conscious out jogging but I don't let it stop me. This is my health and I like jogging. If others have a problem with it then its nothing to do with me...its their problem. Good luck and take it slowly. xx
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    It was really hard to go to the gym for the first time. I felt like a freak, sweating from walking 2.7 mph on a slight incline when this chick beside me was doing 3.7 on a high incline.

But ya know what? She didn't care what I was doing because she was so concentrated on what she was doing. That's the way WE need to be - to not care what anyone else thinks because if we keep it up - someday WE WILL be the one doing that fast walk or run beside a person that is much slower.

It doesn't matter where we start out in our journey as long as we START and do NOT stop! Good luck!
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    when I started running, I was almost 300 lbs, I was never worried people would make fun of me or laugh at me, I alway think I inspire every last person who sees me....I envision them saying...wow look at her!! If she can do it so can I!! haha, and now after a year of running it doesn't even faze me anymore.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    put it this way: Do you ever laugh at people or judge them when you see them exercising and they are overweight?
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Scott you're right (and have a nice profile picture) but you are right

Renstwin, i have tried Zumba at home, i think i need to be out of my comfort zone, i just wonder if anyone else had this hurdle

dls thanks you are right also, <3

thanks guys

Thanks. Triathlon in conjunction with learning how to eat has been a welcomed change from the 200 plus pound twelve year old still living inside. Look my experience tells me this, there are going to be A LOT of uncomfortable situations you find yourself in through out this journey let alone life, and if you let what others think or moreover what you feel others think hold you back from experiencing everything you are going to miss out on things you really really enjoy.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    When I go to the gym and I see a very overweight person faithfully coming every day and plodding away on the treadmill, I am proud of them for making the effort! Who cares what everyone else thinks..this is for YOU!:happy:
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    I get it, I do. I used to be 250 and very self concious, Hell I still am. The bottom line is F#$K what everyone else thinks. This journey isn't about them, it's about you. You want to run, go run. Put in some headphones and go kill it. When they're still in plus size clothes and you're in a size 2 you'll be the one chuckling.

This
  • ConquistadorofLife
    put it this way: Do you ever laugh at people or judge them when you see them exercising and they are overweight?

No i would never, but people can be mean!!
  • zdragonone
    zdragonone Posts: 6 Member
    You can start off walking. Get your doctor to help you with a lower calorie diet and put a pedometer in your pocket. See how far you really walk in a day. 10,000 steps is just considered healthy. I was doing about 2,000. Each day I increased it by 100. That's all, just 100 steps. Between that and the calorie cut I lost enough to be able to walk on a treadmill, then start to do strength exercises. I still have not lost tons of weight, but my body fat is down from dangerous morbid obesity (in the 80's) to still high but on the chart now (in the 40's). It took two months and a bit of pain, but I dropped one pant size and it is easier to move. I still don't want to go out there and run, but I am losing fat and eventually the weight will go too.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    My thoughts on it were very simple, I get out there and do what I want to do and I hope others are watching. I was catching my breathe one day {this body was not built for running long distance} in the park and had a guy out of the blue walk up to me and ask I stop running the path by him and his girlfriend who were having a picnic. My first thought was that my bouncing belly must be upsetting, he contiued that his girlfriend saw me and was nagging him about their food choices and why they did not exercise more.
    As Scott said, you are doing it for yourself not them. Get out there, you will extend your life and maybe someone elses.