Want a 25-calorie (per cup!) replacement for rice?

Options

Replies

• yearofme
    yearofme Posts: 9
    Options
    bump
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I tried this tonight and learned a few things.

1) Texture is key. Best to just use the flower portion. Using the stalks made it hard to get pieces all the same size. Some were too chunky and didn't cook as fast, leaving some of my 'rice' crunchy.

2) Depending on your recipe you will probably want to season it after you cook it. I didn't and it was quite bland.

3) You aren't going to fool anyone into thinking it's actually rice.

4) It's really expensive pound for pound compared to rice.

I used this with a thai peanut sauce (one of my absolute favorites) and I'd say the results were just OK. I'd rate it 4/10 for flavor and texture. It's main redeeming quality is the low cals, but I also got hungry again about an hour and a half after dinner because it was basically like eating celery with peanut butter for dinner. Didn't quite cut it. I might try mixing it with rice next time.
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • billthekill
    Options
    Bump
  • mirfan25
    mirfan25 Posts: 45
    Options
    Will definitely try it! Thanks!
  • tina219
    tina219 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chloeuhoh
    Options
    I tried this tonight and learned a few things.

1) Texture is key. Best to just use the flower portion. Using the stalks made it hard to get pieces all the same size. Some were too chunky and didn't cook as fast, leaving some of my 'rice' crunchy.

2) Depending on your recipe you will probably want to season it after you cook it. I didn't and it was quite bland.

3) You aren't going to fool anyone into thinking it's actually rice.

4) It's really expensive pound for pound compared to rice.

I used this with a thai peanut sauce (one of my absolute favorites) and I'd say the results were just OK. I'd rate it 4/10 for flavor and texture. It's main redeeming quality is the low cals, but I also got hungry again about an hour and a half after dinner because it was basically like eating celery with peanut butter for dinner. Didn't quite cut it. I might try mixing it with rice next time.

I haven't tried this yet, but I think it would definitely be better mixed half half.
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    thanks!
  • joynova
    joynova Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FrancesOReilly
    FrancesOReilly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks a million.. Defo gona try this.. Great way to keep my favourites low cal/ProPoint..

Also, what the cauliflower sub to mash?? Never of that.. Same as this but add water??
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Not to hate on cauliflower, but with my Puerto Rican Heritage comes the love of rice and I will always eat it. I just make sure that
    the macro nutrients from it fits into my daily meal plans.. and its a fantastic source of carbs for a pre-workout meal.. I do like cauliflower I just don't think its a good enough substitute for rice at all.. Texture and taste are way off to call it a substitute for me.. but that's just me.. :bigsmile:
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Brock56
    Brock56 Posts: 1
    Options
    Just discovered cauliflower as potatoe substitute . Bake fresh or frozen in oven for 20 min in pan srayede with pam or drizzle olive oil .Also add garlic fresh or ground , pepper and sea salt. When done add a little skim milk ,mash and whip , adding more spices , delish!!!!
  • ShoeDeahva
    ShoeDeahva Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Trying later . . .
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    bump
  • rhogar00
    rhogar00 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rhogar00
    rhogar00 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    sounds interesting, but i am a rice lover so ill give it a try.... hmmm now if someone could find me a cheat for cheese and tortillas...

Mission Yellow tortillas - 80 calories for 2 and a wedge of light swiss laughing cow cheese are great!