St Patrick's Day and BEER

Options

Replies

• pankybinky
    Options
    Now, the irony is, traditionally pubs are closed in Ireland on St Patrick's day. It being a religious festival and everything.

The pubs haven't closed since the seventies and are open every day except Good Friday & Christmas day. And yes... IT'S PADDY'S DAY!!!!!

That's why I said TRADITIONALLY.

Anyway, I am English and we don't do St Patrick's Day. I hadn't even heard of it until we had an American exchange come over to my school when I was 18 and asked what we were all doing for it, and everyone went "HUH? St What?"

Of course we aren't allowed to celebrate our national saint's day. Partly because apparently it's racist, and partly because he didn't exist and wasn't English. Which doesn't help matters.

I know..'traditionally' they were closed. I thought I acknowledged that when I said that they have opened since the Seventies, presumably that infers that they were closed before this time. Just stating a fact. So you're right and I'm right..Happy Paddy's day to ya.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Saw the heading, and really "yes, please" is the only answer.....but only one beer, and only if I've worked ahead of time.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I try to have a long workout the day i am going to do some heavy drinking. i also tend to stick with light beer, or bud light platinum or going with vodka and diet stuff.
  • SpaceFanMomma
    Options
    I'll be going on a hash ride (about 12 miles on a mountain bike), and we'll have a keg. I'll have a couple of beers, but I'm gonna enjoy them and not feel guilty. Life's too short to get upset about a couple of beers!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    St Patrick's Day is my father's birthday. He dies of lung cancer 5.5 years ago. So Saturday I'll stop by his plot and talk to his ashes... Then it's Corned Beef & Cabbage (homemade, of course) and a beer in his honor. Probably a Guinness cuz that's how I roll.

Sunday my husband and I are doing the first local invitational bike ride of the year in our area. 36 miles of "rolling hills" which normally means hellish hills. Can't drink heavy when there's a big ride the next day. Cycling helps keep me in check.
  • AislingRA
    AislingRA Posts: 56
    Options
    Now, the irony is, traditionally pubs are closed in Ireland on St Patrick's day. It being a religious festival and everything.

The pubs haven't closed since the seventies and are open every day except Good Friday & Christmas day. And yes... IT'S PADDY'S DAY!!!!!

Anyway, I am English and we don't do St Patrick's Day. I hadn't even heard of it until we had an American exchange come over to my school when I was 18 and asked what we were all doing for it, and everyone went "HUH? St What?"

Of course we aren't allowed to celebrate our national saint's day. Partly because apparently it's racist, and partly because he didn't exist and wasn't English. Which doesn't help matters.

Well, you must be about the only English person who never heard of St Patrick's Day. What a very odd post.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I won't be having beer, but I'll likely have a shot of whiskey. I'm also making myself a feast of traditional Irish foods, including boxty (basically potato pancakes), fried trout with mushroom sauce, homemade soda bread, and boiled cabbage. Also, a cupcake.
  • Radcliffe83
    Options
    there are a lot of Irish people on here!
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Having the traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner, REAL traditional Irish soda bread, a beer and maybe a nice Irish whiskey if my hubby picks some up for us. :) Working them all into my budget, so it's all a matter of portion. :drinker:

Hate to burst your bubble, but corned beef is not traditional here in Ireland at all!!! It's boiled ham and cabbage with spuds.
  • mxcatala
    mxcatala Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I celebrate st Patrick's day almost everyday. I do always added my beer to my diary as bad as it looks at time. Happy st Patrick's day everyone
  • Isolt
    Isolt Posts: 70
    Options
    I have to admit (and sorry if this offends anyone), that I do find it a wee bit odd that you guys over the US make such a big deal out of St Patrick's Day......when most of you aren't *actually* Irish and even those with Irish ancestry would probably have to go back several generations before they found someone who was born in Ireland.

I consider myself British, but in fact my Mother and that entire side of her family are Irish and we still own land in Ireland. I would never claim to be Irish though, because I wasn't born there.

Like I said...sorry if it offends, but I've always wondered why the US make such a big hoo-ha out of it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

I know..'traditionally' they were closed. I thought I acknowledged that when I said that they have opened since the Seventies, presumably that infers that they were closed before this time. Just stating a fact. So you're right and I'm right..Happy Paddy's day to ya.

And to you!
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    I have to admit (and sorry if this offends anyone), that I do find it a wee bit odd that you guys over the US make such a big deal out of St Patrick's Day......when most of you aren't *actually* Irish and even those with Irish ancestry would probably have to go back several generations before they found someone who was born in Ireland.

I consider myself British, but in fact my Mother and that entire side of her family are Irish and we still own land in Ireland. I would never claim to be Irish though, because I wasn't born there.

Like I said...sorry if it offends, but I've always wondered why the US make such a big hoo-ha out of it.

Most people who celebrate Christmas and Easter aren't christian and most people who celebrate Halloween aren't pagan. At this point, it's a commercial holiday, plain and simple. It's fun and a good excuse to drink. I don't necessarily understand it, but people seem to like it. It was always a family holiday for us, growing up, so that's always how I've celebrated it.

It's also more about Irish ancestry, anyway. A lot of how it came about had to do with how Irish immigrants were treated, here. It was part of overcoming that. It's a celebration of Irish heritage and what they overcame to become a part of this country. If that's not worth making "a big hoo-ha out of it", then I don't know what is.

P.S.

Five generations. That's how far back I have to go to find someone fresh off the boat.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    Having the traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner, REAL traditional Irish soda bread, a beer and maybe a nice Irish whiskey if my hubby picks some up for us. :) Working them all into my budget, so it's all a matter of portion. :drinker:

Hate to burst your bubble, but corned beef is not traditional here in Ireland at all!!! It's boiled ham and cabbage with spuds.

Corned beef is a distinctly Irish American tradition, having to do with the lower cost of beef in the 19th century and the fact that boiled beef was already a New England tradition. So, it may not be traditional there, but it's still traditional.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 5k in the morning and I think I'll enjoy some irish whiskey in the evening :) I love a good whiskey.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I love Scotch...Scotch Scotch Scotch
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

scotch_tape2a.jpg
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options

scotch_tape2a.jpg

WINNER.

I wasn't so fond of Scotch until my friend let me try some 18-year-old. I forget the name, but DAMN. My whiskey was still better, though.
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have an 8K in the morning sponsored by Yuengling. So I will have a couple of those after. Husband is cooking corned beef and cabbage and we have about 8 friends coming over for that. I do believe I will go over in calories, but I will get back on track the next day!!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

The St.Patrick's Parade was first marched in NYC in 1762! It is a huge part of the history of this city and the whole metropolitan area goes all out for it. Up to 250,000 people march in the parade and estimates of 2 million people line the streets to watch it. So it is not so much a pride in yourself as being born in Ireland but a celebration of the Irish people and what they contribute to America.

Plus who does not like to drink and get rowdy....