has anyone here lost weight without having a gym membership?

Options

Replies

• saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    20 of the 28 I've lost thus far was without a gym membership. I walked the malls, large stores, did some stuff in my house and bought my own dumbbells to start weights. The only reason I went and got a gym membership was I have a 63 year old mother who is the only one who can drive and she gets worn out very easily from just driving me to here and there to get my cardio in and I can't opt to walk the neighborhood because the street I live on, I kid you not, is packed with drug dealers and gang members who often have shoot outs in the evening. It was just safer and easier to sign up to the gym only a mile away so my mom can rest and I'm not at risk for being hurt by my psycho neighbors.
  • askme12
    askme12 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Last year I lost 40lbs in 3 1/2 months without a gym membership. I watched what I ate, jogged at a park 3x a week and lifted weights 3x a week.
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yup! No Gym For Me!! Too Intimidating!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I'm debating on if I want to get a gym membership or not. I would rather work out at home, but I feel like I would become more fit or even lose weight faster if I joined a gym rather then working out at home.

If your heart is set on going to the gym, then follow your heart to see if that's where you really want to be. Before committing to a gym membership, call your city hall to see if they offer a free gym. Where I live, we have a free gym sponsor by our city hall. It doesn't have classes. If they don't have one, you might want to check to see if they have other gyms in your city that offers a cheap membership. We have gyms out here that charges between $10.00 to $12.00 a month. The one that's $12.00 a month, it costs $2.00 more per class you want to take.

Again, follow your heart and go to the gym if that's where it's leading you. You might not like the gym. You can always create your own gym at home. I have my own gym at home. I used to go the free gym, but I like working out at home.
  • alysonleanne
    Options
    I walked/jogged/now run and I have used the 30 Day Shred and Insanity. I'm 73lbs down with 20 more to go.
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    Don't know where you live but spring and summer are coming and there are a lot of outside activities that you can do
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I don't really have time to go to the gym anymore between school and sleep, since my gym's packed until 11 at night anyway. I've been losing weight by working out at home. I don't have any machines, either.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership (I can't afford it) and have lost all my weight by myself. I do workout DVD's, walk and run and count calories and so far I'm down 14.7kg which is about 32 pounds.

I just wanted to add that I'd love a gym membership as I love swimming and spin class but it isn't practical for me as I'd need to shell out more money getting someone to look after the kids!
  • sschoolfield
    Options
    No gym membership for me...down 47 pounds and counting.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I've never had a gym membership (just not practical for me) have always managed to keep fairly slim, and plan to lose the weight ( already started) I have on me right now the same way. I do alot of walking and zumba. If you can afford some gym machinery for home, or a good set of weights,bonus.
  • narutoboy1996
    Options
    no you don't need a gym membership to lose weight i lose't 64 lbs im 16 yars old i run a mile every day and do sit ups,push ups and play basekball
  • narutoboy1996
    Options
    good job i use to wight 257, 70 lbs over wight now im 14 lbs over wight and it was not easy
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    There are also alternatives to gyms. Maybe Zumba, Yoga or Kickboxing classes. All 3 would be amazing.

Good luck.
  • ADTeachTX
    ADTeachTX Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    All 79 pounds have been calorie restriction only! No gym. I know at some point that I will have to encorporate exercise but I don't know if the gym route is the way that I will go. Best of luck to you what ever you decide to do!
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Down 51 lbs and never set foot in a gym. Actually, the first half of this weight was through diet alone and the second half included a little walking.
  • rockyluv88
    Options
    I had a 300$$$ gym membership aNd never used it. I went on Craigslist and for 300 got a treadmill , weight bench and set of weights. I use it almost daily! Saves me 30 min not having to drive to the gym and I can wear whatever I want! Less excuses too!
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Me!
    Lots of walking away the pounds videos, calorie counting and 30 Day shred :3
  • StrongHeart
    StrongHeart Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm debating on if I want to get a gym membership or not. I would rather work out at home, but I feel like I would become more fit or even lose weight faster if I joined a gym rather then working out at home.

Last year, I lost 53 pounds with just diet - hardly any exercise at all.
    Actually my weight loss slowed down when I joined the gym this year.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options

Yes, I lost 30 pounds a few years ago eating right & exercising at home, gained it back when I started working again, stopped working out & started eating out all of the time. Now I have a treadmill & I have been losing doing my cardio at home & strength training at home....with of course eating healthy again
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I made a home gym.