Should men get paternity leave from work?

Options

Replies

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    They already have that option here in Canaduh. Mat leave is 52 weeks paid (capped percentage of your prior income and your job must be held for you while you're gone. Men can take paternity leave but however many weeks they take is deducted from the mother's 52 weeks.

WHATTTTT??????? We get 6! 9 max, but the last 3 are without pay!

Yep! And if you're lucky, your job will top up the pay for the year. However, both the gov and workplaces have rules about how many hours/months you have to accumulate before you're eligible for first or repeat births.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Yes. My brother got a few weeks of leave when his son was born. I think it helped his wife a lot to have another adult around to run errands, help with certain chores, and just to give her a break every now and then. Plus, I think fathers deserve time to bond with newborns, too.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    They already have that option here in Canaduh. Mat leave is 52 weeks paid (capped percentage of your prior income and your job must be held for you while you're gone. Men can take paternity leave but however many weeks they take is deducted from the mother's 52 weeks.

True story :)
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think a few days should be sufficient.. I mean they didn't blast the thing out of their crotch but they were involved in the baby making.

HAAAAAAA this made me spit, well spit, all over the keyboard. Like projectile laughing. Guffawing even. I ADORE the visual that women are blasting babies out of their crotches like WWII heavy artillery. :heart:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yes. As badger mentioned, it is already in place in Canada and certain EU countries.
  • ColCul
    ColCul Posts: 53
    Options
    It's parental leave in Canada. Mom or Dad can take it, or share it, even when you adopt. You are paid 55% of your salary and some companies top it up. I loved my years off of work!
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    In the US, men are eligible for Family Medical Leave (unpaid, unless they choose to use paid time off, which is not required by employers to offer/allow), the same as women. Part of that Act is not just to physically heal yourself, but also to take care of family members, or bond with a new baby. This is goes for either a direct-born child or an adopted child. Not to mention, (most) new dad are also adjusting physically to a new schedule and new demand in the household, which can affect ther ability to perform on the job. I think it is a good thing for both mom and dad to take the time to get used to the new baby and get into the new routine.

Sorry... my HR hat slipped on there for a minute...
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think it's a good thing. I wish I had it. Not necessarily the 12 weeks my wife had, but at least a couple of weeks would have been nice.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Most fathers are eligible for 12 weeks of Paternity Leave under FMLA.

And they absolutely should have paternity leave.
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Not a parent, so not sure I count.

My brother had a couple of weeks off, he helped mummy and baby and bonded. I think it's quite important, he would have been devastated to have to leave straight away.
    Certainly, when I have a baby I would love to have my parter there to support me for first week or so. Also it must be very hard for new dads to be sleep deprived and then work full time.

:flowerforyou:
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    In the US, men are eligible for Family Medical Leave (unpaid, unless they choose to use paid time off, which is not required by employers to offer/allow), the same as women. Part of that Act is not just to physically heal yourself, but also to take care of family members, or bond with a new baby. This is goes for either a direct-born child or an adopted child. Not to mention, (most) new dad are also adjusting physically to a new schedule and new demand in the household, which can affect ther ability to perform on the job. I think it is a good thing for both mom and dad to take the time to get used to the new baby and get into the new routine.

But if women get PAID maternity leave, do you think men should get PAID paternity leave? That's what I'm asking, I guess.

FMLA isn't paid.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    luckily I work from home, so I have more time than most fathers to bond with my 2 girls.

I do think it's necessary to allow this, but who pays for it? The private company, higher taxes as in europe?

The US already allows time off as per FMLA, but it's unpaid.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    I think a few days should be sufficient.. I mean they didn't blast the thing out of their crotch but they were involved in the baby making.

HAAAAAAA this made me spit, well spit, all over the keyboard. Like projectile laughing. Guffawing even. I ADORE the visual that women are blasting babies out of their crotches like WWII heavy artillery. :heart:

I say that because I have YET to have one. I am sure that I will describe it in other ways once it happens =)
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options

But if women get PAID maternity leave, do you think men should get PAID paternity leave? That's what I'm asking, I guess.

FMLA isn't paid.

Who pays? In the US the company pays, but doesn't have to, for either men or women.

I get 3 days paternity, paid, as per company policy.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My company has maternity and paternity leave. Both are paid and the same amount of time.
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    They do. It's called FMLA, look it up.

I'm aware of that. It's not specifically "paternity" leave, though. Women have "maternity" leave. Should men have "paternity" leave?

Maternity or paternity leave are usually company-specific. The woman's medically-allowed time off is usually capped at 6 weeks (unless there are problems), which may or may not be covered under short-term disability/maternity leave policies. After that time, they switch to personal leave time, since FMLA allows them to be off up to 12 weeks, if they meet the criteria.

Paternity leave would not be covered under a sick-time/short-term disability, unless he somehow figured out a way to push that sweet baby out of his [censored]. It would just be covered under the Family portion of FMLA.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options

I say that because I have YET to have one. I am sure that I will describe it in other ways once it happens =)

No, you were pretty much right.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

FMLA isn't paid.

It is ONLY paid at the employer's discretion. Your employer is under no obligation to pay you a full six weeks. I was paid for 2 weeks of my six weeks of leave, for example. That, was my two weeks of vacation time.
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Oh no, I think you're right on. ::pew pew pew::
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    In canada you have 52 weeks of parentla leave

18 must be taken by the mother (in my case as a surrogate mother)

The rest can be taken by both parents or by the adoptive parents.