Ladies- can you walk in heels?

Options

Replies

• Tanyawhite30
    Options
    Love wearing heels! Makes me feel sexy! I wear them all the time when I leave the house.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I wish I could walk in heels. First I'm 5'9 1/2 and my hubby is 5'10" so if I wear them I'm taller. Second I've never really tried that often so I am unsure of myself in them. I feel like a linebacker walking! hahaha

Any suggestions, because I love the look of them. Sexy and classy.

i'm in the EXACT same situation as you, and I live in NM where (generally) people are shorter than average. When I wear heels, I totally stick out.....but my husbands cousin mentioned something the other day (she's 5'9") because she wears heels....she said that her height isn't changing anytime soon and she would rather rock an awesome pair of shoes then wear flats her whole life. She's right! I've bought 2 pairs of heels / wedges since. So, my lesson is "OWN IT!!" :heart:
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Love heels, just practice and take long strides when walking in them. It'll get easier.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I can't wear heals because I have hyper mobility syndrome in my legs and feet. I need flats :( Would love to wear heals!! :(
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    To work, I don't. I work around a bunch of horny prior military men and all my heels look like they would provide me added height to get up the pole. I have a couple pair of Work heels, but they are mostly 5" with 1" platforms....... I wear them out all the time though. Gone bowling in them, dancing, out to eat...... whatever. If I am dressing up, I am wearing heels. I am 5'9" and it makes me REALLY tall, but I love them.
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    I love high heels. But I'm 5'8 and I hate being taller than all of the guys around. Makes me feel like a friggin' giant.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I love low heels or a chunky higher heel. More support=easier to walk.
  • SaraBunny518
    Options
    Im 5'8" and LOVE wearing heels!!! but practice makes perfect
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7-5'8 if I stand up straight (which I am working on lol) my hubs is 5'11 so I tower over him in heels but they make me feel sexy and with my self esteem I need all that I can get. I don't care if I feel like a giant I love heels/shoes in general.

But yes I can walk in them, though over the years I haven't worn them too often so I have had to "relearn" how to walk elegantly lol
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have child sized feet (and hands, I'm such a freak) so heels usually aren't an option for me. On rare occassions I can sometimes find 1-2 in heels when visiting Europe, but in Canada it's darn near impossible for me to find adult looking shoes in a child size 3!

Ergo, I wear flats. A lot. I dream of the day when I can find a shiny pair of heeled boots in my size!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i don't like heels. i think they are stylish but impractical. so i don't wear them. thus, i can't walk in them. i think they are awesome if you like them though. i have super wide feet which makes it harder to walk in those thin little heels
  • stormy68
    stormy68 Posts: 5
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/112616-effects-high-heel-shoes-skeletal/

Check out the website above. I am a physical therapist and wear sneakers everyday. I wear heels only for special occasions. I used to wear them more when I was younger. The website will help you decide what is best for you.
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am a die-hard shoe *kitten* and majority of my 100+ collection are 4" heels or higher. They are a must in my everyday life. They make me walk taller & make my legs look FAB!! I was ina car accident a year and half ago and seriously hurt both feet. It was almost a month before I could wear tennis shoes on both feet & another 2 months before I could get into my heels. It was torture to me!

It can take some practice...I recommend starting off with 2&a half inch or so and just work your way up as you get more & more comfortable. But don't be afraid of the 6-8" range either...they may not be practical for everyday use, but they make awesome 'up in the air' shoes :wink:
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I can hardly walk in a work boot.. heels end in a horrible disaster with me falling infront of blind guys... and yes.. I have fallen infront of a blind guy before.
  • denveralexis
    denveralexis Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love heels!!! They're amazing :) My mom calls them hooker heels because I love tall ones ;)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I walk two miles in heels every day! Sometimes more! I have high arches so they're more comfortable than flats, though there is a limit to how high I can go.

My problem is shoes with backs that end just above the heel-- most pumps, sneakers, and ballet flats fall into this category. They rub and rub against my ankle until it's raw and bleeding. Does anyone else have this problem? Usually I just stick with boots and shoes that don't have backs.
  • hastenbeck
    Options
    i too am learing to walk in heels as my new fella is a foot taller than me at 6ft 4, its getting easier the more i persevere but flats are so much more comfortable lol x
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I LOVE heels. I wish I could wear them more, but flat foot I'm 5'10 so I HATE looking like an amazon :(
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I can, but I think I look awkward while walking..as I can't see myself from an outside point od view xD
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I can walk jump run in heels. But my feet hurt after a while, normally I just bite the bullet because I look so darned cute =D On my 21st birthday I wore 5inch heels for 8 hours straight (the entire time totally wasted) and I only fell once, but that was because every single person in the bar got me a drink, I don't think it was because the shoes. Alcohol really cuts the pain of wearing heels, haha

I think the trick about walking in heels is to try to walk sexy, you can't hold your hips still and lift your feet at the knee, this is what leads to the "clomp clomp clomping" that someone mentioned. It may sound silly but start by walking in heels with very exaggerated hip movements side to side. Then try to pull it back to a more comfortable swing of your hips. You can't try to tuck in your butt and not swing your hips. Heels are made to make women feel sexy, so strut your stuff!! Stick out your nice round butt and move those hips like you want some attention =]

This evening I hope to go shopping with a friend for some new jeans (because I currently own 3 pairs that fit and 15 pairs that don't) I really want to wear these awesome strappy sandals with 4" heels, but it will probably hurt by the end of the evening. Oh well, the pain will be worth it!

Also, I'm 5'6 and my bf is somewhere around 6'1 or 6'2 so I never have any problems being taller than him. I've always dated tall guys because I like to wear heels and not feel weird with them