Dr. Pepper 10

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    seems to me the entire thing is sarcastic ... or, maybe more accurately, is trying for ironic machismo, like old spice. it didn't work well and the product tastes awful, I hear.
  • Kristin2984
    Options
    I was disappointed in the taste. Was expecting something similar to the love I felt for sprite zero and coke zero but it still tasted like a fake version of dr pepper.
    I wont buy it now that I heard about the ad campaign. I hate crap like that.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    seems to me the entire thing is sarcastic ... or, maybe more accurately, is trying for ironic machismo, like old spice. it didn't work well and the product tastes awful, I hear.

I'm just curious.. Why did you (or your "friend") decide to take a sip (or slug?) of Old Spice?
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    That commercial drives me nuts. Normally I never care about that stuff...But everytime I see it I'm just like are you kidding me right now? There's another soda now too that their commercial basically says the same thing...Can't remember what it was though.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    first ... there's not a "." after the "dr" -- something true dr pepper fans know.

but, more importantly? I think they were counting on viewers understanding sarcasm.

Are you new here? :wink:

The purpose of it was to market Dr. Pepper to men (sorry; grammar teacher-- can't do it.), so where is the sarcasm in that?

I'm a journalist. you've gotta write it the way it is.

(unless you are me and don't feel the need to use the shift key when typing online.)

it's kind of like adidas, which has no caps, even if it is the first word of a sentence.

Don't start ts0ck...that's the Queen...you can't win

uh-huh ... because I'm a journalist. and a man. so I can't be wrong.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I love that commercial. "It's only got 10 calories. 10 manly calories!" Cracks me up every time.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options

You capitalized "I."
  • kymberly316
    Options
    Since it has real sugar and aspartame, it tastes better than diet dr pepper, but not as good as real dr pepper. I didn't realize it had aspartame until after I had bought a 12 pack. I am not a fan of the taste of aspartame. I finally just gave up all sodas and switched to water.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    not a fan of the taste of aspartame.

Neither am I.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

You capitalized "I."

yup. I capitalize the important words. examples would be I, Montana, Texas, BBQ, etc.
  • muscular_dude
    Options
    out of curiosity... how many ladies have tried it?

be honest.

I think the ad was to make women so curious that had to run out and grab a bottle. IMO
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I've had it. Not bad.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    When I heard that commercial my first thoughts were "wow someone in their marketing department needs to be fired."

Seriously.

I want to try it because it's 10 calories but... "it's not for women" so I can't.

lol

does it taste any different than diet dr pepper? I hate diet drinks... they taste so ... fake.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    when i seen the commercial,i never took as a slight to women i thought it was gay happy hour for to good old boys no women aloud they need a few cals for theirs hard activity so i said ok i can deal with that
  • mommamindi
    mommamindi Posts: 273
    Options
    I used to drink Dr Pepper 10, since those commercials I quit. My husband also stopped. Its completely rude and disrespectful.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I think they were counting on viewers understanding sarcasm.

I think it's more a play on the "manly" lite beer and soda commercials... it's making fun of them, guys.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Am I the only woman who isn't offended by this? I just thought it was a joke...or am I not reading far enough into it?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I don't get the uproar. Advertisers market to their target audience - there's a lot of diet beer ads right now targeting men and no one throws a fit about that. Let the men have the Dr Pepper 10 - it's not nearly as good as diet dr pepper anyway.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It's funny - I had a whole different take on their strategy. To me, I thought they were trying to attract women to the product by using sexism to "deny" them access. I think their most-wanted-response was for women to say "OH YEA? WATCH THIS!" and run out and buy a bunch.

Epic fail, either way you look at it. I hate people using psychological tricks to try to modify my behavior.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Am I the only woman who isn't offended by this? I just thought it was a joke...or am I not reading far enough into it?

You aren't the only one, no.