body image issues with boy children

Options

Replies

• JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, I can ease your mind. I grew up with a very judgmental mother when it came to how I looked. She would often cut me down about what I looked like. I wasn't fat but she made me feel like I was ugly and unworthy. Additionally, when I was picked on in school and would tell her about it, she'd say "It's because you are so unfriendly". She definitely didn't provide a soft place to land.

What you are doing, based on your description, is completely different. As long as you put the emphasis on health and not appearance you are doing your kids a service rather than causing them harm. Relax.

Wow...sorry about that :( I have a grandma like that too.. Yes it can be rough!!!!!!!!!!!!! I definitely don't do that..in fact I tell then they are gorgeous every day..smelly but gorgeous and praise each of thier unique talents!!!

And to the poster that called this an NSV!! Awesome!! I do to ;)
  • londanfudd4eva
    Options
    what does smh mean
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Speaking from a different perspective, when I was growing up my mum always made the healthy choices for myself and my sister.

By no means was/is our family a beacon of perfection, but I can honestly say that we had the best start in life. We had treats of course - in our packed lunches we could choose a bag of chips OR a small chocolate biscuit - never both. We had one treat a day, a healthy breakfast, lots of fruit and veg and a balanced meal at night. Food was never an issue because my mum made sure that our diet was balanced.

So many parents use food as a bribe these days - or a reward but they don't realise they're ingraining that into their childrens perceptions of food and healthy eating.

I think you're doing absolutely the right thing. Whilst I can honestly say we never discussed calories or things at home (probably because my parents weren't aware of them haha) I think it's good your sons are showing an interest in their diet and health. It's good to hear this, as I worry so much about children these days being overweight not from a body image perspective, but a health and longevity perspective.

Good on ya! :)
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Boys get eating disorders and have body image issues. Not saying that what you are doing will cause those tings, but yes it is possible.
  • JenAiMarres
    Options
    what does smh mean

It means "Shaking my head"...i had to look it up...I'm not fluent in forum trash talk!!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what's to shake heads about?!

This thread is actually making a point - tons on the forums are just ridiculous harping on about carbohydrates and protein and eating back exercise calories. This is an important issue.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Boys get eating disorders and have body image issues. Not saying that what you are doing will cause those tings, but yes it is possible.
    Sure, if they're already predisposed to that (eating disorders are not just social issues) and if she's telling them on a regular basis on fat & disgusting they are. BUT she's made it a point to say she tells them how wonderful they are and how much she loves them DAILY. She's just worried about her obsession rubbing off badly.

OP- Are you're boys asking if you love them? If you think they're fat? If they disgust you? Or are they asking honest, health centered questions? Those should be your concern.
    Sounds to me like you're raising fabulous little boys that will (someday) be amazing, FIT, HEALTHY men. Good for you!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Educating your children about nutrition is excellent. As you should be. But sounds like you have some reservations. Maybe you just need to sort out exactly what messages you're giving them. Interesting thing to ponder really.
  • JenAiMarres
    Options
    Sure, if they're already predisposed to that (eating disorders are not just social issues) and if she's telling them on a regular basis on fat & disgusting they are. BUT she's made it a point to say she tells them how wonderful they are and how much she loves them DAILY. She's just worried about her obsession rubbing off badly.

OP- Are you're boys asking if you love them? If you think they're fat? If they disgust you? Or are they asking honest, health centered questions? Those should be your concern.
    Sounds to me like you're raising fabulous little boys that will (someday) be amazing, FIT, HEALTHY men. Good for you!

Yes I know they can get disorders and that's why I definitely had/have a concern...but yes I am in general a very positive person with them and everyone for that matter...

And in answer to your questions..definitely no they don't ask if I love them.. And we don't even say the words "fat", "ugly" or "stupid" so good point :)!! And yes all of their questions come from a place of genuine curiosity...plus my oldest is interested in gaining weight and growing tall...and I see him making a real effort to eat just like dad!
    Thanks for the reassurance :)
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    I think it matters how you as a parent handle it. It sounds pretty benign to me. When I was young my mother forced me to diet even though I didnt need to. this caused major problems for me later on ie eating disorders for years screwing up my metabolism so bad that then caused me later to be obese. This is a different matter all together. I would maybe just put a focus on how important it is to love yourself no matter the weight and everyones perfect weight is different. My son unfortunately is overweight...He is a great kid though. My husband hasnt always supported healthy eating making it hard for me to instill any kind of healthy lifestyle. when I started doing my thing...my son followed suite. Hes doing a fabulous job and we have talks about loving ourselves and how important it was...loving ourselves also means eating healthy to maintain this marvelous temple God gave us to house our souls. Unhealthy body unhealthy soul. It is the same with your kids. Them knowing the difference between turkey bacon and regular bacon and talking to their grandparents is a benign thing. The thing with him asking you a very honest question about cottage cheese to lost weight or to be healthy...could be a different thing. Maybe he was concerned for you yourself. Ya know...and only you know this answer. I am very open with my kids. I told them I had an eating disorder what that meant and what happened and how important it is that it doesnt happen with them that if they ate healthy and loved themselves and moved their body everyday they would be ok. From what you said you have been a dieter as a lifestyle up and down i would do some soul searching on that and then talk to your kids about it so that part doesnt repeat with them. Otherwise sounds like smart kids...
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    Id like to add, my son told me yesterday he was choosing to eat lighter he does count his calories 2200...because he was allowed to eat fun food on his birthday...I go just make sure you are eating enough calories it is important to still grow. He goes dont worry mom, im not going to not eat i like food too much. lol I am just choosing to eat better for my body. I like all the "healthy" foods (he puts his fingers in quotations. lol He says hes not concerned about his body he likes himself. Goes I am a good person I try to be a good person all the time...lol My friends like me, and when I am older if I am still "paunchy" because of genetics then god will send me the right woman for me so it wont be a problem lol. My point is he has a healthy view of himself. Just have a sitdown and talk to your kids and find out how they view themselves.
  • luvsdeals
    luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've got 6 kids and I think all parenting is a matter of balance. I don't talk about "trying to lose weight" or calories or proteins or all of that. right now I'm the mom and I make all the food and they eat what I serve. They know they eat "healthier" than some of their classmates and that we like to eat a lot of veggies and fruits because they have so many good things in them that our bodies need to work well and stay healthy. When we're eating dinner they'll ask, "What does spinach have in it that makes it good?" or "What about strawberries?"

I think if we as parents model health that's great. If we're modeling appearance only that can be dangerous. We eat well because we want to be well and live well. And I think messages like not wanting having a baby "ruin" our body or things like that can be subtle (or not so subtle) and kids can pick up on them. We need to remember the end goal is ultimately health--right?
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is not the first thread I've seen with parents worried because their kids are taking an interest in what they eat. I don't see that you're worried because your skinny kid looks in the mirror to examine himself for fatness or talks about being too fat/ugly/weak! I see that you're worried because your kid takes an active interest in nutrition! I would be proud instead of worried. Love the cottage cheese question!!! He's wanting to know why you made that choice to know if it's a choice he should make--that's a WAY GOOD thing! There is no way most people can live in this society without understanding something of calories vs nutrition! We're no longer out on the farm eating beans and onions for about every meal like my mother grew up doing. There are Ding Dongs on every corner and no societal norm that says not to get one (and a Coke) every time you get gas or a newspaper. The problems kids have with body image are partly just how people are--to a degree everyone (if they're normal) feels that they don't quite measure up, but mostly because of mean-spirited or just ignorant people trying to change behavior through shame and manipulation rather than by teaching and training. I have five kids, the youngest is 16. We live 'out' and have livestock and so my kids grew up knowing that what goes in is a big part of health. We talked a lot about getting out and doing things being good for people as well as aging horses. My kids know that health is what you do, and sometimes just what happens in spite of what you do, it's not part of what makes you worthwhile.
    Also, I think it's important that we look for what is really true about our selves and our situations. I am overweight, to the high end of 'normal' now, but have been obese more than I'd like to admit. I don't have a problem saying I'm fat when I am--I'm also in debt and I talk too much (as if you hadn't figured THAT one out by now). Beating myself up over my weak areas is not productive--but neither is denying that I have weak areas. Another poster talks about 'balance' and I agree, and want to add 'tone' and 'value'. Speak the truth in love, to yourself and others. And YOU don't value body image over things of consequence, like character, integrity, work ethic and love--and your kids will be more likely to value the things of value also.
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I wonder why some people not only write one rude comment, but feel like they have to write two rude comments? Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves.

I come onto the message boards to help other moms and other women, while others come onto the message boards to make fun of others!

Jen, keep educating your sons about nutrition and teach them to treat others with kindness and respect!

smh is a rude comment? oh ok ....smh again ...
  • fitby38
    Options

I think maybe my verbiage in my original post is what set off the "smh" comment(s) I tend to speak dramatically...I said I am "highly obsessed with my figure" when really I meant" I am very conscious of my figure". Who knows!?!?

you are correct!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    IMO...I think its great...I`m sure your kids will be eating as healthily as you and your hubby are. Getting kids to question what they are eating is a good thing, if all children did this maybe the obesity crisis would be nowhere near as bad as it is.
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    I think you're doing right by them by keeping the family's lifestyle healthy. Growing up, my family ate junk food and fast food and all of us were overweight to some degree. I have 2 kids now, a boy and a girl, and I want them to be healthy and fit from the get-go and not have to worry about needing to lose weight. There's nothing wrong with helping your kids understand what a healthy diet and exercise regimen looks like!

Keep up the good work, mama!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that your kids understand nutrition, calories, and portion size. As long as they aren't worried that about how they look, it shouldn't be a huge issue. That said, tone down the talk of calories and up the talk of nutrition. 11 years old is a bit young for them to be so obsessed that they carry on conversations with adults about it...
  • fitby38
    Options
    I think it's great that your kids understand nutrition, calories, and portion size. As long as they aren't worried that about how they look, it shouldn't be a huge issue. That said, tone down the talk of calories and up the talk of nutrition. 11 years old is a bit young for them to be so obsessed that they carry on conversations with adults about it...

ditto this ^^^ ... well said
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

I agree with this as well.

I have two sons, one is 18 and he has become "health conscious" on his own. I didn't need to direct him much. Especially in today's body obsessed society. My other son is only 4 so his health choices are mostly mine at this point.
    If you are in control of your children's food choices....which most parents are, then there should be no worries as to talk of calories etc. They should only be worried about kid stuff IMO. A well balanced meal should be the responsibility of the parents. Calories, protein, carbs, and so on are not dinner conversation in our house...I would rather discuss how their day went and what things they did. I think if your kids are picking up on your "health talk" to the point that they are trying to have discussions about it, then maybe, just maybe there is cause for a little concern. I would at least tone down the conversations in front of the kids.