WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2012

Options

Replies

• lucyimile
    Options
    I am discouraged and do not know why I am still at the same weight. I stay under the caloric goal or right at it. Does anyone have some sage advice. I have been on for 2 mos now. I have bought the fitbit to be sure I am maintaining an acceptable activity level which I do need to step up but is not bad.:tongue: My sleep is interrupted a great deal but I don't know if this would contribute to the weight. Please help
  • scompton54
    scompton54 Posts: 116
    Options
    Mazaron; I love curried lentils. I have made lentil burgers for my veggie daughters and they were pretty good. Lentil salad is also pretty delicious.....a traditional one or a tex mexy thing with tomatoes, cilantro, corn, hot peppers and avocado. I saw a recipe for a lentil risotto but I haven't tried it but it also looked pretty good.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Sarah! Curried lentils...the whole world of Indian food just flashed before my eyes. Thanks!
  • scompton54
    scompton54 Posts: 116
    Options
    I am discouraged and do not know why I am still at the same weight. I stay under the caloric goal or right at it. Does anyone have some sage advice. I have been on for 2 mos now. I have bought the fitbit to be sure I am maintaining an acceptable activity level which I do need to step up but is not bad.:tongue: My sleep is interrupted a great deal but I don't know if this would contribute to the weight. Please help

Hi lucy and welcome! Getting enough sleep is important to weight loss as is drinking enough water, exercise and watching what you eat. Sometimes our bodies hold onto the weight for a while before they decide to give it up. Try and up your exercise a bit and mix it up as in, not doing the same thing every day. Take your measurements and you may see that they are changing with exercise, even if your scale doesn't.

And the best advice I can give you.....don't give up and keep on coming here for support. This is a fantastic group!
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Top of the evenin' to ya ladies..

Back from the woodlot and I can actually still move. Hubby & I split a bunch of wood that was already cut to length when we got there. Then while he cut more, I loaded the truck with the split stuff. I wore my hot pants under my jeans...and by the time we got home...they were wet-pants (sweat my dearies...not an accident;0). I must throw out here that I am LOVIN' them! I'll measure myself on Wednesday, which will be two weeks using them. We worked for about 3 hours, came home unloaded & stacked the wood in the truck...moved wood that needed to get to the woodshed and then sat down and had a beer. And it tasted soooooooo good. I'm not really a beer drinker...but I think Paul Bunyon would approve. :drinker:

So...tomorrow it's back to the woodlot; but we've recruited hubby's brother. We need a bigger saw to finish up, and this will mean that there will be a MAN to help get the log splitter back up the slight incline to the truck. My lack of strength was almost the root cause of a very unpleasant situation...however, we figured it out, and got it done...no feelings were hurt and I didn't have to cry :laugh: :sad: :angry: :laugh:

Dinner tonight at Bonefish Grill...so should be able to make good choices. All in all a great day...and we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Welcome to the new friends logging, I laughed out loud as I read through the posts. My heart goes out to those not feeling well, or with family not feeling well. To my strength training sistas...I admire your talent...and sure could have used you guys today! To those struggling...keep your chins up...YOU CAN DO THIS! My fingers are getting skinny...Just noticed I've been on this computer for an hour. :huh:

Later lovelies!

MEG
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Hello Ladies!

Wow 10 pounds weights!!! Amazing Barbie. I am just realizing how weak I've become. I bought resistance bands so I'm not sure how much I'm lifting but my body is telling me it's WORKING. I'm trying to get better form with all my moves which I'm sure will help too.

Thought I'd share a great article I read if anyone else is struggling with pre-diabetic issues.

http://www.naturalchoicesforyou.com/site/680805/page/219656

This mirrors everything both of my doctors have told me about insulin resistance. I have made huge strides in my cholesterol in the last 2 months. Down 55 points!! Still trying to get my blood sugar in line, but I’m encouraged that something is working.

Welcome to all the new faces. For those of you who are going through hard times I hope things get better very soon. Wishing each of you progress on meeting your goals. I always find inspiration here to keep plugging away each day.

Happy Weekend!
  • brunsda
    brunsda Posts: 78
    Options
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Welcome all those of you that are new here. :flowerforyou:

Congrats to all who have lost weight.
    Tallen-looking forward to hearing how you did on your run.
    KC-Hope your daughter gets the placement she wants!
    "Paulette Bunyon"-Thanks for the laugh!
    Laura80111-thanks for the encouragement.:happy:

All those of you having a special evening-enjoy enjoy enjoy!
    Have a great night.

Dawn
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It's been a busy two days but I wanted to check in to our board. When reading the posts, my attention focused on the new people with struggles. I am so glad you are on this board and on MFP. I have found, for me..that reading and getting lots of great suggestions have helped me to keep on trying. My losses are slow but they do happen. I have needed to regroup but coming here, setting goals and participating on the boards has made it so much better for me.

I am feeling so much better so that is a good thing. I have gotten to the gym this week and that is good. I did overdo my weights and have something going on in my neck/rt shoulder. I do have a strength training class tomorrow morning (it is great- very small) and I will talk to the trainer there. I did up the weights on the workout I did on Wed and that may have done it. I am doing heat and Aleve and it seems better.

I'll be back tomorrow....have a good night...Happy St. Patty's Day!

Sally
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:bigsmile: Amanda, Happy Mothers’ Day tomorrow. I did some research and found that Mothers’ Day in the UK is celebrated on the 4th Sunday of Lent. I’m glad that you will be honored and not just honoring someone else. I hope you will be feeling well enough to enjoy it.

:flowerforyou: MEG, it was because of my inspirational friends on MFP that I learned to limit myself to 30 minutes sessions on the computer. JIpsyJudy wrote a post yesterday about what she does on her mini breaks from the computer.

:flowerforyou: Sarah, welcome back from your trip. I’m glad you had a good time and are back in the healthy eating and exercising mode.

:flowerforyou: Dh, welcome to the most supportive and encouraging group of friends. I started with a lofty goal and with the help of these women, I learned a lot and lost a lot of weight.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, a friend of mine who suffered from occasional depression told that the best thing anyone ever told her was “you can’t get over depression lying on the couch” so your suggestion about making an exercise commitment fits right in.

:flowerforyou: Realpure, the weight training program I started with says to start with light weights until you learn how to do the exercises correctly. Then add more weight each session or two until you are using weights that challenge you when you do two sets of 8 repetitions.

:bigsmile: I got to sleep late this morning and go for the walk with the dogs in the daylight which is a great treat for all three of us. We’ve had rain with sunshine midday. I fixed corned beef and cabbage and it turned out great with lots of leftovers. Jake wants to make corned beef hash tomorrow.

:bigsmile: While I did my weight training we watched two episodes of “Law and Order UK”, a show we get on a Canadian channel…….it has all the great twists and turns of the US version of “Law and Order” with English characters and laws. The good part of doing my weight training at home is I get to be with Jake and the pets, the bad part is that the dogs keep pestering me and wanting me to take them for a walk (which I did after I finished).

:bigsmile: After being away for two weekends in a row, it is so nice to be home for the weekend, just the two of us and the pets.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where it is has been sunny and rainy today.
    My life today is so great today it should have background music (maybe the Clint Black song “Spend my time”
    “I’m gonna spend my time like it’s going out of style….”
    March goals:
    *walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning no matter how cold, wet, windy, or snowy.”
    * Yoga three days a week
    *100 squats a day
    *strength training two days a week (three would be better)
    *17,000 steps a day

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
    "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Hi lovely 50+ friends....haven't posted for a while....but I just wanted to give those of you who knew about my issues with my son's girlfriend an update.....

My son asked me a couple of weeks ago if my husband and I would help out with her application for a defacto visa.... I said no and explained to him that from my perspective I couldn't see that it is going to be an ongoing relationship and we didn't feel we would be able to say what they wanted us to....he was disappointed but respected my reasons....I also told him that I wouldn't be able to have her stay with us again if she was to come back here (she was due to go home to Iceland on april 2)..... after that she avoided me for a while but then it was my birthday and we had a dinner and she was ok...it broke the ice and we just avoided the "visa" issue.

Then 2 days ago we had a huge incident..... she was across the road at a neighbours house drinking while my son was home in bed.....she ended up not only flirting and then kissing another neighbour but going into his house (bed)....the first neighbour found out and she was furious...this woke me up...I got up and confronted her...tears, abuse (from her)....I let her go up to my son as there was no point creating a massive scene in the middle of the night while she was drunk and told her to tell my son what she had done.

In the morning I talked to both of them (my husband was away so I had to do it on my own)...and I told her it was unacceptable and she was not welcome to stay in my house any longer....she tried tears, the excuse of being drunk, anger and then finally "butter wouldn't melt in her mouth" agreement (this for my son's benefit I guess)....but I stood firm and told her to pack her stuff and leave that day.

My son had to go to work and I went out although I made sure my other son was in the house as I didn't want her there alone....first son then came home and picked her up and took her to a hotel...and she changed her flight and left yesterday for London.

My son came home and has done a forensic cleansing of his room.....almost no sign she was ever there other than one small photo...we've had a hug and a few words but not talked in any depth yet....I don't think he actually knows the full details of what she actually did either as I'm sure she wouldn't have told him all...I guess it will come out in time and the neighbour will talk to him and let him know what happened (not the one she went to bed with)..... my husband has spoken to him and he thinks he will be fine....21 y/o man...he'll get over her, etc, etc....I just hope he isn't scarred by her and I also hope that she doesn't still try to manipulate him....it was his first girlfriend ever, first sex, 18 months, first love...you know the thing.

I feel relieved that after nearly 10 months in my house she has finally gone and I am looking forward to being able to have a conversation with him without him running off to her....she was definitely trying to create a wedge between us...the neighbour told us she was being very critical of me and trying to get him to argue with me....which he wasn't as we are (were) very close...I just hope we can get close again.

I haven't resorted to too much emotional eating although I did have some chocolate last night..... and I went for a big 5km run last night which helped get my mind off it for a while...its amazing how consuming something like this can be.... as a parent you just want your kids to be happy and it is so hard when you can see that they aren't yet they somehow convince themselves that they are....he really tried to make it work with her and would always do what she wanted even when she was completely unreasonable (for those who didn't read original posts about her she had punched him and broken his nose in a jealous rage because he talked with a mate about another girl's looks).....oh how I wish I had been so strong and kicked her out back then!

Sorry this post is just about my circumstances....I do read most of the posts on the thread but just find it hard to keep up with personal replies....but i love and support all of you on here and love being a part of it...even if it is from a distance...and I am grateful to have somewhere to unload all this stuff safely :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:heart: Lisa
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ***Lucy*** hang in there it is tough I know sleep is crucial to weight loss and releiving stress is as well. I have a friend who works with me right now helping me to get strong enough to work harder down thw road He is a personal trainer so I completely trust him and we take it slow as to not cause injury and set me back even more My point is I weighed my self after about a month of working out with him and got so discouraged because I had actually gained 5 lbs I didn't say anything to him at first just got depressed and stressed out about it. Once I finally cme clean and told him what was going on he first of all explained that it was more than likey muscle gain and it was more important how I was feeling then he took my scale HaHa! literally took it out of my house we marked the wieght and set a reminder in our phones to weigh in some time at the end of April But the biggest focus needed to be how did I feel and just today I put on a pair of pants that I have never been able to wear before I actually accidentally bought the wrong size and now they fit Try to look at the beginning as laying a foundation for fittness and some where in the near future you can start adding the main floors and the second story and so on Good Luck Get lots of rest and don't give up :bigsmile:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Good Morning ladies

:frown: Been feeling a bit discouraged myself lately, but I think it was Nancy who said we should look back every now and then. Had a look at the food I was eating in January, and I think I understand now why I am not losing any weight!! I need to make better choices from the cereal I eat for breakfast to the snacks. In fact I need to get back to thinking about the calorific value of food again.

:flowerforyou: Welcome to the newcomers this site is amazing. Always plenty of advice and inspiration. I'm even thinking of getting some weights to add to my exercising :noway: :noway: my body could do with some strength training. Plus my "hibetties" could do with some toning :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:heart: Lisa I'm sure you and your son will get back the closeness you had before all the drama!

:flowerforyou: Happy Mothers Day to all in the UK I am lucky enough to still have a mum, I'm planning to go over to see her later today. Already had a card myself from my lovely daughter Heather, I'm sure my son will have been prompted by his partner to at least get a card :bigsmile: they have started to visit every Sunday, but wonder if they'll manage to fit both sets of parents in today.

:embarassed: :embarassed: It must be an age thing that I can't remember her name, but has anyone heard from ???? who was looking after her mother - she was quite depressed the last time she posted. I often think about her and wonder how she is - honestly :embarassed: even though I can't remember her name. Don't you just hate it when you can't remember names etc. :grumble: :grumble:

Well time is moving on I'd better get started. Need to go to the shop for the morning paper and then prepare some veggies for our dinner. Chicken breasts are slowly cooking in the crockpot.

Love to all :heart: :heart:
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Lisa, we had a similar circumstance in one of our son's lives. You do get through it and rebuild! Don't be discourages - it just takes time.
    Gail
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    1106148alp9la54mu.gif

Happy Mothers Day to all my great friends in the UK.....you deserve extra pampering today.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Mother's Day to all in the UK:heart: and happy Sunday as well.

Only time to say HI.

Lisa - Thank you for the up date, time heals all and I'm sure that your son will come around:flowerforyou:

Chicklet? Where are you? Has anyone heard from her? She's not on my friend list so I don't have the means to send her a note but maybe someone else does, just wondering how things are going with her and her Mom:ohwell:

Much to do today, have the corned beef in the crockpot, as hubby didn't want it yesterday so I just put off our St Patty's day celebration one day, although since I'm half Scot and half Irish I would say that I celebrate it all the time:wink:

We are going to see the Madonna movie W.E. this afternoon, DIL & Son #2 saw it yesterday when we had their kiddos and said it was good, not great especially if we are expecting something like the Kings Speech...which we aren't. I just love movies that go into period pieces....I guess that is why we are enjoying Downton Abby so much:bigsmile:

Everyone have a good day, welcome to those that are new:flowerforyou: and those lurking:flowerforyou: join us. Drink your water:drinker: , keep moving and logging your food and we will see you all tomorrow on part two as this is almost at 500 posts.

Laura80111:smile:
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Wow, take a week off and you come back to a whole new thread. :)

Got up this morning and decided to walk instead of run. So I walked 6.6 miles instead of running 3.5. Works out okay for me. :)

Been quite warm and I'm busy with gardening.

Had to go back for a second mammogram and it came back "clean" with a recommendation of a follow-up in six months instead of 12. The "spots" they found they feel are directly attributable to my having lost so much weight. The dense breast tissue just didn't show up with I had the extra fat. I guess this is a good side affect? But it sure made me worry a bit. I'm now the same age my mom was when they found her cancer (not breast cancer though) and it does make you think a little more than you should on it when you realize that. Anyway, the second squishing... more like squeeze beyond belief..... came out good.

Have a great Sunday everyone.
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday.
    I'm reaching out...I am almost 50 (August) and in the last 18 months have lost 80 pounds. I hit a rough spot at the end of October and have not gained or lost since. My daily exercise has been sidelined a few times for a cold, knee injury and stressful situation, but for the most part I've been reasonably consistent. Lately trying to change it up. Want to lose another 40 pounds.

I wish I had more time to browse forums but it just isn't possible...a quick check when I'm logging in is much more realistic. So what I'm looking for is friends in a similar place...need the motivation and encouragement but can't be here every single day.

Let me know if you're interested...
    :smile: thanks
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Wow, is it Mother's Day in the UK? I'll have to tell DH. :smile:

Itsgood--congrats on your big loss! and welcome.

Wondering if this rain/snow/sleet/hail will ever end, I want to play golf!

Liz in WA State
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Wow, take a week off and you come back to a whole new thread. :)

Got up this morning and decided to walk instead of run. So I walked 6.6 miles instead of running 3.5. Works out okay for me. :)

Been quite warm and I'm busy with gardening.

Had to go back for a second mammogram and it came back "clean" with a recommendation of a follow-up in six months instead of 12. The "spots" they found they feel are directly attributable to my having lost so much weight. The dense breast tissue just didn't show up with I had the extra fat. I guess this is a good side affect? But it sure made me worry a bit. I'm now the same age my mom was when they found her cancer (not breast cancer though) and it does make you think a little more than you should on it when you realize that. Anyway, the second squishing... more like squeeze beyond belief..... came out good.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Congratulations on that NSV (reduced breast fat) which will also lower your risk for breast cancer. I didn't think about it before, but losing breast fat ought to be one of my goals too. I should start tracking my bra size!