Diatomaceous Earth

Options

Replies

• angdan31
    angdan31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to eat pool cleaner -_- .... really?

There is a FOOD GRADE DE that has a high concentration of Silica. DE is basically ground fresh water fossils and diatoms. Totally organic and multi purpose. If you research the benefits of a high silica diet, I think these people are onto something.

I'm actually looking for people who are researched and experienced in using DE.... not people who are trying to school me on why not to use it. Thanks.
    Ooh...wrong move.
    This thread is about to turn ugly. Hang on while I grab my popcorn.

And go!
    HaHaHa I love this site sometimes...
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I think you have an awesome sense of humor and wit. I know you didn't mean to but you gave me some things to smile about on a very painful night - so thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • pantherman34
    Options
    I didn't take the time to read the other replies, but there are two types of DE. The first type is the non food grade. It is used as a pesticide and general pool cleaner. You obviously do not want to ingest this.

The other type of DE is food grade. This is mainly used to feed to animals (mixed with water) to kill pesticides in their stomach. Some people do consume DE food grade mixed in water as a dietary supplement. Just make sure its food grade >.<

On a complete side note though, I always spread DE where the walls meet the floors in my apartment as a safety control for bed bugs.

/enjoy
  • Crystalmac82
    Crystalmac82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think you have an awesome sense of humor and wit. I know you didn't mean to but you gave me some things to smile about on a very painful night - so thank you. :flowerforyou:

Well that's kinda sad :( I'm sorry you're having a rough night. I have some rusty sand for you, if you want.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Well that's kinda sad :( I'm sorry you're having a rough night. I have some rusty sand for you, if you want.

As long as you don't make me poo it, it's a deal. lol
  • Crystalmac82
    Options
    I'm not going to eat pool cleaner -_- .... really?

There is a FOOD GRADE DE that has a high concentration of Silica. DE is basically ground fresh water fossils and diatoms. Totally organic and multi purpose. If you research the benefits of a high silica diet, I think these people are onto something.

I'm actually looking for people who are researched and experienced in using DE.... not people who are trying to school me on why not to use it. Thanks.
    Ooh...wrong move.
    This thread is about to turn ugly. Hang on while I grab my popcorn.

And go!
    HaHaHa I love this site sometimes...

AAAAAAAAND GO! Tee hee...
  • Crystalmac82
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hey, good luck fighting the MFP-ers. I appreciate you staying polite despite less than pleasant feedback. It's very classy of you.

Hey, thanks !! I was searching for something specific....... I finally got it !
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Fascinating. We use DE sometimes at work, but we have to take care to make sure the leachables don't make it into our final product, which makes its way into people. We take great care in designing processes to do this. Part of the problem of depending on DE for anything is that since it's mined from the earth there's a ton of lot-to-lot variability - both in efficacy of what we're trying to do and the leachables profile. And some people just munch on the stuff.
  • Crystalmac82
    Options
    Fascinating. We use DE sometimes at work, but we have to take care to make sure the leachables don't make it into our final product, which makes its way into people. We take great care in designing processes to do this. Part of the problem of depending on DE for anything is that since it's mined from the earth there's a ton of lot-to-lot variability - both in efficacy of what we're trying to do and the leachables profile. And some people just munch on the stuff.

Apparently it's all the rage in Asian countries as a beauty product. The silica is awesome for hair,nails and skin....they have no FDA, so............ who knows. I like to blame it on The Man.
  • Megandarae
    Megandarae Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'm not sure...I only learned about this substance a few days ago and that was when I googled "how to kill/prevent cockroaches"...I don't think that's your intended purpose. Be careful!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    All of this because I watched a guy add a scoop to his Kefir smoothie on youtube :grumble: Maybe I should have brought it up on a holistic living website. But then all the granolas would be telling me to "DO IT !!!! " Where do you find facts people ??!!
    I see a lot of things on YouTube. Doesn't mean they're a good idea to do.

You said you were scared. You posted your question here instead of the granola website knowing here would be negative responses.

I think you have your answer. The question is how much attention and drama and conflict is needed first? You got to four pages. Is that enough?
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of things on YouTube. Doesn't mean they're a good idea to do.

You said you were scared. You posted your question here instead of the granola website knowing here would be negative responses.

I think you have your answer. The question is how much attention and drama and conflict is needed first? You got to four pages. Is that enough?

A thousand times this.
  • pursuinghappy
    Options
    I don't know anything about it but I DO recall gathering either 4 of 8 of these in Zul'Drak.

WoW references when you're not expecting them are ALWAYS the best.
  • terrirz
    terrirz Posts: 53
    Options
    Jeezus Christ, why can't people just eat FOOD anymore?

sigh.png

Yeah..this..:ohwell:
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Honestly, something used to filter swimming pools, where you are supposed to wear a mask to filter it, is NOT something that I would be ingesting.

They do have one for human consumption I have used it I used to put it in a glass of water and just drink it down does not have a pleasant taste and it was a while ago so im not sure it did anything I cant rememeber I drank it for about 3 weeks or more it is suppose to get rid of any kind of micro organisims in your system......... It kinda tastes like dirt ....
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about it but I DO recall gathering either 4 of 8 of these in Zul'Drak.

LOL!!!! :laugh:
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options

WoW references when you're not expecting them are ALWAYS the best.

I came for the odd title, i stayed for the unexpected wow reference.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I could probably get a big batch of rat poison and slap a label on it saying it will cause weight loss. Overweight people would stand in line to buy it. Let's quit being taken for fools and lose weight in a healthy manner without throwing our hard-earned money in the pot with the other $$BILLIONS made off of our desire to be slim and healthy.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Check on earthclinic.com you can read about it, and it's a forum so people give their experiences with natural products they've tried.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Pulled from this link:

http://absorbentproductsltd.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/food-grade-vs-pool-grade-diatomaceous-earth-the-dl-on-de/
    What is the difference between food and feed grade diatomaceous earth?

Although these two types are very similar there is one very important distinction between them. Food Grade DE must meet certain specifications regarding heavy metal content. To be considered Food Grade, the Diatomaceous Earth must not contain more than 10mg/kg of arsenic and no more than 10mg/kg of lead.

Just because the presence of arsenic and lead is greatly reduced does not change the fact that arsenic and lead are both present in food grade diatomaceous earth. Therefore, you are essentially poisoning your body in the name of weight loss. Any product that promotes weight loss in any way that is not to the overall benefit of the body is not well received by the people on these forums. The "food grade" diatomaceous earth is a trade-off type product in which you give up some part of your health to improve some other part of your health. That is not the purpose of this website.