WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2012

Options

Replies

• tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am so thrilled that i figured out how to find this continuation! I completed my 8K Saturday in 1:06. about 20 minutes faster than I thought I could. But I didn't walk any of it. I am so proud of myself! But I gained a pound this weekend. I over indulged in many ways. So back on track this week. Cruising in 34 days so I need to keep my focus on working out and eating healthy. I found that shepherds pie is not healthy - LOL. But now I think I will run a 5K on Cinco de Mayo. At least I know I can run the whole way!

Lisa - I am glad you can now get your life back and regain the closeness with your son. That was a very tough situation you were in.

Meg - I might look into your hot pants. Sounds interesting.

Kacki - What did you have for dinner at your friends house last night? I am hoping since she told you not to bring anything that she had something healthy for you.

BarbieCat - I don't even own ankle weights! You are so motivating!

Jb - Is Strong Women Stay Young something I can have on my Kindle? Or are there exercises that I need to look at?

Well, This is a new week! I am hoping to run and/or exercise every day and make sure I drink my water. I will log in every day!. I hope you all have a great week! I love chatting with all of you.
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    just marking my spot, been in a funk this past week. Have a good week Ladies
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning Monday. Here we go into another great week...actually it's the greatest week of all because it's the first week of SPRING! Yippeee! So excited for the weather to warm up! I noticed a difference in the cloud pattern yesterday, big puffy ones, some black as night, dropping hail and snow pellets along the way, unlike the socked-in-slate-gray clouds we get here during winter in Portland. There were patches of blue sky, streaks of sun here and there, and on my hike I noticed the giant white trilliums are blooming out in the forest. :flowerforyou:

I read a good article posted on MFP about starvation mode and what happens to our metabolisms when we eat too little, and tips for good dieting. It includes 7 Smart strategies for fat burning and metabolic health, and states the importance of weight lifting ... Eat More, Eat Natural, Eat Often and Regularly, Use Carb Cycling, Take Diet Breaks, Cardio and Weight Training. Worth the read if you have time. It's fairly long. One except I especially hit home:

"For many non-athlete women, “lift weights to lose weight” doesn’t even compute. But weight training is so important for metabolic health and better body composition, that if you were forced to choose one or the other – cardio or weights – the weightlifting would be a NO BRAINER decision."

Here's the link. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/208407-how-to-repair-a-damaged-metabolism-stavation-mode

@ tallen, yes, there are exercises you'll need to look at in the Strong Women Stay Young book so you'll need to get yourself a copy.

Everyone have a great, great day, I've gotta scoot. Be good, Salad Sistas :bigsmile:

jb
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday, dear Ladies!

It is snowing, snowing, snowing and the temperature has dropped, so maybe we'll have a few good ski days left this season after all. I'll find out soon!

Jaks: I am so sorry you are struggling...put one foot in front of the other and keep going! We're here for you:flowerforyou:

Tallen: WTG on the running! I am sooooooo impressed!

jb: Thanks for the link to the 7 smart stagegies for fat burning and metabolic health...I will read that for sure.

Westernjoy: Good to hear from you and your horseback riding/walking sounds so nice! Glad your weather is good!

Regarding dinner last night. My dear friend served Yorkshire pudding with beef, english peas, potatoes and mashed rutabaga...then apple pizza(which I LOVE). Sooooooo, at least there were a couple of vegetables, which I tried to fill my plate with, but it was not exactly health food! Thankfully, I had LOTS of exercise yesterday and hope to do the same today.

Off to get out the door! Take care:heart: Kackie
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Happy Monday. Just making my spot...... dentist appointments for both kids and just got in from Costo.

Kackie, I hope your blood sugar evens out. Mine has been in trouble since I had my son...... everything else was ok until last year. I know I'm on the right track since I feel so much better. I took a small candy bar last week while my son was getting his hair cut and felt crazy sick within 10 minutes. Then sleepy!! Can't do sugar any more..... it's hard but worth it to feel better.

jb: Thanks for the link to the 7 smart stagegies for fat burning and metabolic health. Printed it out for something to read this afternoon. I'm with you on the weights. I bought resistance bands at Walmart by Gold Gym. Still figuring out a rountine, but I can see improvement in my arms already.

Off to get the bus. Need to catch up tonight. Happy Monday everyone! Keep logging in and learning. It's so worth the commitment.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Monday, Monday!

Marcelynh, glad your mammogram came out okay:smile:

Nancy- it's those bra victories that keep us going, well that and getting into those clothes that have been in the back of the closet YEAH you and that jacket:drinker:

Amanda- sorry you have a cold, but glad your Mother's Day was wonderful:smile:

Meg, I'm sure that with all you are doing helping split the wood you are building some serious muscles:wink:

Schelly- your Wii game walk sounds fun:love:

Kackie- it's amazing that our friends with out trying can make our eating healthy such a challenge:noway:

Joyce - our #2 son gave us P90x a couple of years ago, but I haven't put it in the player...I really need to do that, but I'm afraid that it will overwhelm me and then I won't do what I need to...maybe after I've lost a bit more I will get my excercise act together and just do it:huh:

Jane-glad your PT is going well and that you are getting stronger:drinker:

jb-:drinker: that wine will get you everytime!

We went and saw W.E. yesterday, well I had read about it so I knew what to expect, hubby didn't so he really disliked it. I wish that there had been more about Wallis & Edward, but the story line was jumping from the current people story and their story so it was like you were watching two movies at the same time, probably not worth the money to see it but I'm glad I did.

I think that corned beef and cabbage dinner last night really gave me a sodium overload, my hands were really swollen this morning, but now I've had a lot of water to drink and they are finally back to normal, with my wedding ring twirling around.

I didn't get in as much exercise as I would have liked over the weekend and it wasn't until yesterday that all my eating got out of hand...back to the real world today, logged and planned today and am drinking my water.

Everyone have a good afternoon and evening, keep it moving, drinking plenty of water:drinker: and logging that food.

Laura80111:smile:
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For anyone interested...here is the site for the Hotpants. Yes...I did wear them while working in the woods. I also wear them on the treadmill, and when I clean. Fortunately, my current jeans are baggy enough so I can put them on under my jeans or sweats.
    I had found a Groupon Coupon and got them for $25 .... I probably wouldn't have spent the money on them if I didn't have the coupon...but now that I know they work...I would go at the full price!

www.zaggora.com/

Have a lovely evening ladies!
    MEG
  • scompton54
    scompton54 Posts: 116
    Options
    Greetings All

I have TWO daffodils out in my front garden and the lilacs buds are bursting out! I love that it is so warm but am afraid what a hard frost might do....this is totally out of character for March in southern Ontario and I worry for my farmer friends.

Having said that, with snow gone, I have been out on my bike twice the last couple of days. The swans are back at the Bay front and the trails are full of happy people enjoying the warmth. It's amazing to bike in mid March in T shirt and shorts and I have to say I am loving it! Makes up for the truncated X country ski season.

Tallen: Hats off to you

Nancy: Good on your bras. Mine are looser but the last place I lose is on my chest and belly but I definitely have saggy *kitten* in my jeans.

I am loving my weight training.......when I look at my back, the back boobs are definitely going and I have just started doing intervals on the treadmill......1 minute a slow jog and 2 minutes a fast walk....I can feel myself getting stronger which spurs me on.....as do all of you. I read what you are all doing and think....I can do that!

Back to school today but it was all okay although a lot of students seemed to have decided to continue their March break.....wish I could have!

Good luck to everyone this week. I have lost what I gained while away but the scale hasn't gone down this week......but there's always next week and I know I am getting stronger every day.

Sarah
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    checking in hope all are stoked for a great week!:flowerforyou: marking a spot so I can find you all. :happy:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: jb, that was a great article :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: thanks for finding it and sharing it with us.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I don't know if any of the information was new to me, but It was great to see it all together in one place. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: it makes me crazy when someone says they're staying within their calories and not losing weight and you look at their food diary and the food is three fast food meals and beer and cupcakes

:bigsmile: I had a busy day including my weight training routine which is now taking over an hour because I added some new stuff. and I'm doing some of the lifts a little slower :bigsmile: now it's time to watch Dancing With the Stars so I'll see you all tomorrow.:heart:

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where it was 28 degrees this morning and sunny all day :bigsmile:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Morning all

Just marking my spot on Part 2 for later, haven't had time to read all the post in this part yet - nearly 3 pages already :noway: :noway:

Need to get ready, exercise video awaits, I'm trying to be good and get some time in every day. Who said if you do something so many times it becomes a habit??? Still trying to get into that habit :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: hey ho onwards and upwards.

Chat soon.

Viv :heart: :heart:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,
    I miss one day and you guys just go crazy. I had an awesome interview Friday and things are looking positive. I hope I don't jinx it. I will keep you posted.

Robin, Bodi boy and Ritter bit.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,213 Member
    Options
    Good Tuesday morning, everyone!

I finally decided to sit at the computer for a bit so I could catch up on the message boards - this one is always a challenge after a few days' absence! I love reading all the news and encouragement.

Tomorrow is going to be a tough one - my husband is having his second knee replacement surgery (the first was in January), but I am leaving to fly to North Carolina where I have 3 concerts to play over the next week. DD will be in charge of getting her dad home from the hospital and taking care of him until I get home on the 30th. We'll leave home for the hospital at 5 am (it's an hour and a half away!) and then my flight to Charlotte leaves Montreal at 5:30 pm. Hopefully I'll have time for at least a few long power walks around the airport once my luggage is checked in.

Today, though - out on the road! It is finally warm enough and the thaw has progressed to the point where the gravel roads are not complete mud sinks in most places. I am thoroughly sick of the stationary bike in the house, and will set out to do my intervals on the road, hoping my legs won't complain too much about the change. I just got a new strength routine last week that is whipping my butt, so this will just add to the potential for some quality moaning and groaning! It cracks the kids right up.

The best result of all the exercise over the past few months - when I practice (I'm a flutist), I really notice how much having very strong abs helps everything. They have always been more or less strong just from playing, but working them hard has made a huge difference. More power! Mwa ha ha ha! Feels awesome.

Nancy - lentils! Best easy salad ever:
    cooked lentils (green or brown, not so good with the orange ones)
    yogurt blended with Major Grey chutney, or other mango chutney
    cut up any other veggies you want with the lentils very small, or just keep it simple and use the lentils and yogurt dressing.
    let it sit for a while - eat it up!

I also make a dish my family has named "lentil mishmash" if you want more recipes, let me know -- I'll post it. It was the best way I ever found to make my kids eat tons of vegetables when they were younger, and they still love it.

hope you get good news from your interview, robin, and have a wonderful day, everyone -

liselyn
  • yclayton
    yclayton Posts: 44
    Options
    Had a great day in the PNW no rain, sun on and off. Went Hiking with the horse hiked 15 minutes rode 15 minutes. Walked up all the hills. Did that for 2 hours.
    Joyce

wow my horse would love it if i walked up some of those hills i ride her on! she is lazier than i am...lol...but b/c of my knee i can't really mount and unmount without a block....well i could try but i might end up walking all the way back to the barn...i could do it on the pony tho, he is much shorter! sounds like you had a great hike!
    yvonne
  • yclayton
    yclayton Posts: 44
    Options
    Tomorrow is going to be a tough one - my husband is having his second knee replacement surgery (the first was in January), but I am leaving to fly to North Carolina where I have 3 concerts to play over the next week. DD will be in charge of getting her dad home from the hospital and taking care of him until I get home on the 30th. We'll leave home for the hospital at 5 am (it's an hour and a half away!) and then my flight to Charlotte leaves Montreal at 5:30 pm. Hopefully I'll have time for at least a few long power walks around the airport once my luggage is checked in.

-

liselyn

yikes! knee replacement! have had that done and unfortunately am one of the few who did not have great results...just the luck of the draw i guess, as i know my doctor is a good one, he put my ankle back together when i broke it into a million pieces and have had no trouble with it at all. anyway, where are you playing? my daughter lives in charlotte and i was born there! hope all goes well with your husbands surgery and you have a safe and productive trip.
    yvonne
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    SPRING HAPPY SPRING! :flowerforyou:

Back to solid-gray-socked-in-and-raining sky this morning in the beautiful PNW. After several years of complaining about it I've come to the conclusion that it does no good at all, so I've changed my thinking to thanking. We'll never have a water shortage, and Mother Nature is doing an excellent job of tending her lush forests of evergreens. Now I wish she'd come up with some sort of creature that would love to feast on slugs. "Slug" contains the word "ugh", and rightly so. The last couple of springs were so wet that each day when we'd look in the garden, every little seedling had disappeared overnight. Must have replanted certain things at least 5 times. Slug bait didn't help. Might be time to spread some diotomaceous earth and oyster shells. Anyway, I got off on a tangent there didn't I. :tongue:

Day 1 yesterday of strength training. :wink: I did the leg movements without using ankle weights since I don't have any yet, but I'll just get used to the moves until I find some. Also did the section of additional exercises later in the book, all which I could do fairly well, but the push ups (from the knees) kicked my patootie! :grumble: Ooooh-weeee baby I'm weak in the upper bod when it comes to pushing my own weight off the ground. Poco-a-poco, I'll get better. I've always done counter or wall push ups, but they're nothing compared to the real tomato. The other exercises w/ 3 lb weights went fine. Feelin' good this morn. Will strength train again on Thurs. See what you've started?? :laugh:

Down a pound this AM YAY :bigsmile: Want to hit 65 lost by May-something. 6 to go! :bigsmile:

Liselyn, the lentil/veg salad is on my agenda, thanks for posting that! Mmmm-hmm, love lentils, love chutney! And lord knows I love my veggies :happy:

Love reading what & how everyone's doing, I look forward to it in the mornings. Definitely better than the newspaper! But it does gobble up the time, I just glanced at the clock. :noway: Must get moving!

Great day to all, Happy Spring!
    jb
  • Laura80111
    Options
    e:flowerforyou: Happy Tuesday,

Sarah- :laugh: saggy *kitten* jeans:laugh: :laugh:

Viv-yep me too, wondering when the exercise becomes a habit:huh: and I want it to be a fun habit:wink:

Robin- hoping that you get positive results from that interview:flowerforyou:

Liselyn- Have a safe trip and hope that hubbys knee surgery goes smoothly:heart:

Last night when I got home I was so ready to do my kettlebell exercises but after being home 5 min and listening to the VM I was too stressed and decided I needed to do cardio instead to rid myself of the feeling building up in me...it worked and I did feel better after.

I'm trying an experiment to see about this belly fat. So many articles I've read lately have been saying that if you eat more yoguart and milk that it helps...so I'm giving it a try. I love it for breakfast with about 1/4c of granola...but I will say I miss my eggs:sad: I just love how full they make me feel and I have several ways that I do like to make them, maybe after a bit I will make the yoguart my snack and then back to my egg dishes...will see:ohwell:

Everyone have a good day, keep moving, logging and drinking:drinker: your water!

Laura80111:smile:
  • Laura80111
    Options
    :flowerforyou: jb Good for you and doing the weight training...so inspiring!
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all, Happy Tuesday :happy:

I think I may have overdone it on the lentils and hummus and raw veggies– :sick: my digestive system is definitely upset. Oh dear.

My wallet has been missing since Saturday afternoon.:grumble: I’ve searched the house and have only one hope left – perhaps I left it at the butcher shop on Saturday, they are closed Sunday and Monday so I could not check. It’s a mystery. I still have a driver’s license because I keep it in the car but everything else is gone. The real moan is that I just put all the new Medicare cards in on Friday morning. :noway: If I don’t find it today I will have to begin the tedious process of cancelling and replacing cards. I would not have minded a new driver’s license photo, I only have one and a half chins now instead of three! :ohwell:

There is snow in the yard again, winter just won’t give up this year.:grumble: My wee snow drops and crocuses are buried.

Has anyone heard from Virginia lately? I miss her posts. Genealace?

Michelle, when I do pushups I am on my toes. My goal is to get strong enough so I can do a set of 10 with toes and hands on the floor, all the way down. :explode: Right now I have my hands on a step-exercise bench with 3 steps under it.

Tallen, congratulations on your 8K! :flowerforyou: I know you can find a healthy version of shepherd’s pie, if you want to. But the 5K on Cinco de Mayo is probably more important.

Kackie, enjoy the spring skiing! We are getting more snow here too, but I don’t really want it in my front yard.

Sarah – “I can feel myself getting stronger” --- yes! That is what keeps me going. I also like what I see in the mirror – can’t wait for real muscles! You are going to have to invest in new jeans soon :happy: no more saggy-bum!

JB and Barbie, I also thought that the writer of the article really called it on people who say they are eating within their calorie limits and can’t loose weight. :noway:

Liselyn, I hope your concerts are a success :flowerforyou: and your husband’s knee surgery went well. I’ll be watching for updates. I will also be trying the lentil salad. Thanks.

JB, Michelle – we could make push-ups a group goal. Keep me posted on your progress. My workout today does not include them, but I might throw in a set just to see where I'm at.

See you all on the other side.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Had a great day in the PNW no rain, sun on and off. Went Hiking with the horse hiked 15 minutes rode 15 minutes. Walked up all the hills. Did that for 2 hours.
    Joyce

wow my horse would love it if i walked up some of those hills i ride her on! she is lazier than i am...lol...but b/c of my knee i can't really mount and unmount without a block....well i could try but i might end up walking all the way back to the barn...i could do it on the pony tho, he is much shorter! sounds like you had a great hike!
    yvonne
    Just to let you know. I had to find a hill. Can now mount from the right but still struggle from the left. Knee is getting stronger. Joyce