MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    lots of great runs today -- well done to the tempo crew. all very impressive!

msarro - i second (or third, or fourth) the advice: GO DO THE RACE! i did Race for the Cure a few years back just as an easy jog with a bunch of friends. not every "race" has to be at goal pace; enjoy the day with your friend.

shuntae -- nice job! if i'm reading that right, you were well under pace for almost all of them. going out fast is just human nature; i still have to fight that after more than 25 yrs of running. you did great.

julie -- way to outsmart the treadmill! you're just too clever to let it dictate your pace to you :wink:
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    julie -- way to outsmart the treadmill! you're just too clever to let it dictate your pace to you :wink:

yea yea -- that's the accounting nerd in me shining through! I'm actually a little disappointed in myself that I didn't calculate EXACTLY so that it would have averaged out to my goal pace of 8:43! :laugh:
  • bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    i wasn't going to say it, but i'm actually very disappointed as well...hopefully you'll have a better report next time.

oh btw -- Happy Birthday Shuntae! way to get out there, even though you could have taken the perfect day off excuse.
  • jabdye
    Options
    Woohooo Shuntae! Great job on the tempo run....they are definitely the hardest runs in the whole training program (at least that's what I think!)

And don't ever be sad about the pace -- you are doing awesome! Speed will come later -- but LOOK AT your DISTANCE!!! Woohoo!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Congrats on a GREAT JOB!!!

Thank you; that really made me feel good! I've figured out that I really hate tempo runs, but they work. I'm just not used to doing them, so I need to get the whole maintenance thing down. I always have to tell myself that I may not be as fast as other people, but I am doing a lot more than most...case in point, the girls I work with.

That said, my long runs are still my favorite. I love seeing how far I can go each week. :bigsmile:

Long runs are my favorite too! I run with a friend on my long runs -- the same friend that will be joining me in the 1/2 in Sept. And she asked for a copy of my training schedule because she has seen an improvement in me. :blushing: I really don't "feel" better -- but she is a firm believer that whatever I'm doing is working. With that said -- the tempo and speedwork days must be what's doing it because the rest of my runs are easy. To put things in perspective -- I've only been running for a little over a year and if you had told me then that I would be considering doing a full marathon I would have laughed at you :laugh: Can't wait to cross that accomplishment off my bucket list!
  • jabdye
    Options
    i wasn't going to say it, but i'm actually very disappointed as well...hopefully you'll have a better report next time.

oh btw -- Happy Birthday Shuntae! way to get out there, even though you could have taken the perfect day off excuse.

You can expect some major calculating to be going on for my next run. I might even need to pull out the abacus!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Woohooo Shuntae! Great job on the tempo run....they are definitely the hardest runs in the whole training program (at least that's what I think!)

And don't ever be sad about the pace -- you are doing awesome! Speed will come later -- but LOOK AT your DISTANCE!!! Woohoo!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Congrats on a GREAT JOB!!!

Thank you; that really made me feel good! I've figured out that I really hate tempo runs, but they work. I'm just not used to doing them, so I need to get the whole maintenance thing down. I always have to tell myself that I may not be as fast as other people, but I am doing a lot more than most...case in point, the girls I work with.

That said, my long runs are still my favorite. I love seeing how far I can go each week. :bigsmile:

Long runs are my favorite too! I run with a friend on my long runs -- the same friend that will be joining me in the 1/2 in Sept. And she asked for a copy of my training schedule because she has seen an improvement in me. :blushing: I really don't "feel" better -- but she is a firm believer that whatever I'm doing is working. With that said -- the tempo and speedwork days must be what's doing it because the rest of my runs are easy. To put things in perspective -- I've only been running for a little over a year and if you had told me then that I would be considering doing a full marathon I would have laughed at you :laugh: Can't wait to cross that accomplishment off my bucket list!

Same here on the disbelief about the training business. Now I have it in my head that I want to run a full marathon by July 29, 2010...my 30th birthday. If anyone told me just a few months ago that I would consider that, I would fall over laughing. I still can't believe that I am actually training for a half!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options

Thank you! My birthday was actually yesterday but I wanted to do my run today since we're going to the Cheesecake Factory tonight and I am going to need all the exercise cals I can get. :laugh: (Still didn't take off yesterday, though...I had a couple birthday sweets.)

I confess...as much as I love running and working out in general, I do have the occasional ulterior motive. :wink:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Whoa!!! This thread is hopping the last 2 days! :happy:

Yesterday was an off day for me. Cat to vet, DD #1 to oral surgeon, and #2 's DD 18th birthday!

So, today was a cross training workout ~ 2 mile run, 5 mile cycle, interval weights/plyometrics and pilates. Tomorrow will be about 6-7 mile run. I must make myself watch my pace!!! Going for 12 on Saturday so I can't leave it all out there tomorrow!

Shuntae~ Happy Birthday! Darn you though!! :wink: I took off DD's 18th birthday...now I'm wracked with guilt! :laugh: Can't take too many of those off though...DD# 1 turns 19 Saturday and DS #2 turns 20 next Saturday! Waaaayyyy too much cake around this place!!! :tongue:

Got my INSANITY series yesterday. Looking forward to starting it next week. I've heard good things about it increasing running times.

Ok, gtg, DD #3 needs to get to the dentist!

Have a great day everyone!!!

Becky
  • lettuceb
    lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Swelling from knee tendonitis is almost gone and have new shoes with custom orthotics to try out (been wearing them around the house). I am dying to get back out there but will take it slowly, might try going for a fast paced walk tonight or tomorrow and see how the knee holds up :happy:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options

Shuntae~ Happy Birthday! Darn you though!! :wink: I took off DD's 18th birthday...now I'm wracked with guilt! :laugh: Can't take too many of those off though...DD# 1 turns 19 Saturday and DS #2 turns 20 next Saturday! Waaaayyyy too much cake around this place!!! :tongue:

Haha, don't feel guilty...I took off Tuesday for no good reason other than that I just felt like it!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options
    Swelling from knee tendonitis is almost gone and have new shoes with custom orthotics to try out (been wearing them around the house). I am dying to get back out there but will take it slowly, might try going for a fast paced walk tonight or tomorrow and see how the knee holds up :happy:

Ouch! I hope your shoes and orthotics work out for you. Good luck on your walk!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I survived!

6 mile tempo run: warm up; 4 miles at 12:10 (don't laugh :blushing: ); cool down.

My HRM doesn't do splits, so I manually stopped and restarted my clock after each mile, and only paused long enough to do that.

Warm-up 12:13
    Mile 1 10:36 (fastest mile time ever :bigsmile: )
    Mile 2 11:14
    Mile 3 12:17 (crappy time, but I was proud of myself for not quitting when I thought my legs were going to fall off)
    Mile 4 11:55 (not good, but still under pace)
    Cool-down: 13:40

I have got to work on not trying to come out so fast so I don't die by the time I get to the middle and end. 12:10 is actually a really comfortable pace for me to sustain for a long time, so I should work on maintaining it rather than feeling like I *have* to go faster. The speed will come in time, I guess. Either way, definitely proud for not quitting.

Way to go Shuntae! I am so proud of you for A getting out there and B not quitting.

When I read your post, I giggled because after 2 solid years of running I still go out too fast. It doesn't matter what kind of run I'm doing. I struggle to hold myself back. I am just so excited to be running. As you get stronger, you won't notice too bad late in your run that you went out too fast.

If you want to try to slow that first mile, try taking walk breaks to help slow you down a little.
    One thing that I do to help slow myself down during that first mile is to run the hilliest part of my route first.

Keep a log so you can watch your times are improve. You have improved so much already.:flowerforyou:

Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoyed your special day yesterday.:heart:
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL!!!! The fast running vibes worked! But I have to say at mile 4.5 of my 5 mile tempo I was struggling -- but started laughing at an earlier post when someone said WWMFPRCLFD (What would my fitnall pal runner's club friends do!) and I pushed on! didn't want to have to come in this morning and report that I couldn't do it! SO.....

I DID IT!!! Yeeehaww!!!!

7 mile tempo run
    1 mile warm up
    5 miles (was supposed to be at 8:43 pace but my treadmill had 8:49 and 8:41 -- so I ran 2.5 miles at 8:49 and 2.5 miles at 8:41)
    1 mile cool down

Feels good to have accomplished that tempo after last week. Whew! Must've been all the good vibes -- thanks again!
    Julie

I knew you would!!! Don't you love the way you feel once the agony is over?? :tongue:
  • hessied
    Options
    Went and ran some intervals yesterday on my 10k program. Also, apparently a friend of mine from high school has finally gone into remission from thyroid cancer, which became lymphatic cancer. In celebration, she is going to be running the Livestrong 5k in Philadelphia. I'm considering running, but at the very least I'll be showing up. I suppose I'm kind of shy to run my first *real* 5k, plus I detest running in hot weather :laugh:

Still, its a good cause so I think I'll go. Besides, whats the point of training for a 10k if I haven't run a 5k yet??

You should go and run with your friend. Don't think of it as a race, just go and enjoy your friend's company and encourage her on. You can always just think of it as another training run and you donated money to support a good cause.:wink:

Yeah! What Sherry said! :bigsmile:

Go for it!
  • hessied
    Options
    I survived!

6 mile tempo run: warm up; 4 miles at 12:10 (don't laugh :blushing: ); cool down.

My HRM doesn't do splits, so I manually stopped and restarted my clock after each mile, and only paused long enough to do that.

Warm-up 12:13
    Mile 1 10:36 (fastest mile time ever :bigsmile: )
    Mile 2 11:14
    Mile 3 12:17 (crappy time, but I was proud of myself for not quitting when I thought my legs were going to fall off)
    Mile 4 11:55 (not good, but still under pace)
    Cool-down: 13:40

I have got to work on not trying to come out so fast so I don't die by the time I get to the middle and end. 12:10 is actually a really comfortable pace for me to sustain for a long time, so I should work on maintaining it rather than feeling like I *have* to go faster. The speed will come in time, I guess. Either way, definitely proud for not quitting.

Shuntae - This is great! You did it and if you average your times for each of those four miles at tempo, you'll find that you were running well under the 12:10 pace recommended by RW. That's awesome!

Happy belated birthday to you! Enjoy your dinner tonight! :flowerforyou:
  • hessied
    Options
    Got my INSANITY series yesterday. Looking forward to starting it next week. I've heard good things about it increasing running times.

Becky

Becky...

Let me know what you think of Insanity. It looks great, and I'm thinking about it, but I'd like to hear what other people think before I committ. :happy:
  • hessied
    Options
    Did a little over 8 miles today. Ugh. Another hot one here in PA!

Happy running everyone!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    EGADS I missed a bunch! I was too busy for ONE day....ONE day people and there are 78 posts to go through LOL

I am about to flip out . I have not been running for days since I have been busy, busy, busy. Today it's raining but unless it starts lightening, I am running or I will explode! It's amazing how yucky you feel if you don't get to run after your body is used to doing it.

I did go to my meeting about the fun run and yep, it's in stone...I am definately coordinating it. I got lucky though. There is this one guy who has been the local town runner for years and years. I've always admired him but never had the nerve to speak to him. Well, he was on the Folk Festival committee and volunteered to help me out. And he brought up a lot of good points...wow, I did not know that there was sooo much to it!

I went over some of the ideas you guys gave me in earlier posts with the committee. LOL, they were impressed by my "well thought out plan". LOL, it is all thanks to you guys. Thanks so much for being such a great place for a resource. You all have so much to offer...I only hope that I can give back in return.

Anyways, I have not waded through everyone's posts but will do that here in a little bit - hopefully I won't get too busy. My computer is down at home so now work is the only time I have to log in and post. I should fix it LOL, but since I work on computers for a living, I am dragging my feet on it. I do not want to work on computers again after working on them all day long.

Take care all and happy running!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Have you seen a dr yet? Remember lots of ice and ibuprofen too. Good luck and let us know how you made out.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options

Becky...

Let me know what you think of Insanity. It looks great, and I'm thinking about it, but I'd like to hear what other people think before I committ. :happy:

Absolutely I will report in! My favorite review for it is the following...
    *When I am doing INSANITY and :
    I can breathe, I swear out loud...a lot
    I can't breathe, I swear in my head...a lot*

That one pushed me over the edge and I HAD to get it!

A heads up, if you go for it, Jessmomof3 is a beachbody coach and you can save almost $20 in shipping by ordering through her!

Becky