How do you feel about Diet Soda?

Options

Replies

• gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    go with what works. personally any diet soda increases my appetite through the roof. i may treat myself to one in a pinch 1-2x/month and feel guilty afterwards. i figure i made so many great healthy changes in my life why would i continue to drink chemicals. to each their own. i know many elders who still smoke and never get cancer, just as there are 30 somethings fighting it. all our bodies are different, my philosophy is why chance it.

I agree! I swear I can feel a difference when I drink them.... like a mental fogginess... Possibly the artificial sweetener? I have the same outlook, why chance it?

BTW: I had the same outlook on smoking and I threw them suckers down the toilet after 9 years. I've never felt better. :)
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    Please see current avatar.

hehe. :)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    diet soda= EVIL... fake sugar= EVIL. you drank soda because you craved sugar, diet soda and fake sugars coat your tongue and actually make you crave MORE sugar and since you didn't get the sugar you were craving when you had a soda you're more likely to go eat ie a candy bar to get that sugar you were actually craving

Not for me. I drink diet soda sometimes when I want caffeine and the taste, without the sugar calories.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    who loves (diet) orange soda?!!

Kenan and Kel.... oh the 90's. <3
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Me!
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    diet soda= EVIL... fake sugar= EVIL. you drank soda because you craved sugar, diet soda and fake sugars coat your tongue and actually make you crave MORE sugar and since you didn't get the sugar you were craving when you had a soda you're more likely to go eat ie a candy bar to get that sugar you were actually craving

doesn't work like that for me. I crave caffeine not sugar. And Diet Coke gives me all i need.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options

kelllll loves (diet) orange soda!
    I do, I do, I DO OOOO!!!!

Exactlyyy! lol. :)
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I can't have artificial sweeteners due to migraines, which are bad enough from birth control. That, and it tastes like carbonated blargh to me. :/
  • milphog
    milphog Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    To each his own.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    Diet Pepsi & I are good buds.
    Sometimes that's all I have for breakfast(all I have time for)
    So I'm kinda in love with diet soda. I've actually grown to dislike regular. too sweet.

Me too! Makes my teeth feel gritty like I want to brush them constantly.... yuck. :(
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    Haven't drank any in 4 months. ^.^
    I don't think i could drink it now without my stomach being upset. The only think i drink lots of is water.

Congratulations.... today is day one without. I have no cravings and I'm gonna sound crazy but I swear I feel better already!
  • patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Up until about six weeks ago, I was drinking 4-6 diet sodas per day, which I am sure had to have been problematic in some way other than to my wallet.

I have slowly decreased my consumption over the past six weeks and am now drinking one or two diet sodas per week. :) I have started to TRULY love water.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    What about the sodium in Diet Soda causing water retention compared to just drinking water instead....? I mean, it's only 40 but multiply that times 10-12 cans a day! Woah! Not sure if there is truth to this.

Just thought I'd ask. :)
  • milphog
    milphog Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I feel that diet soda is bad for me because it tastes like *kitten*. That, and it doesn't go well with Jack.
    [/quote
    Having never tasted it I can't compare but I have tried diet coke and jack.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Diet soda encourages you to eat more, since there is so little satisfaction derived from diet soda. The only acceptable artificial sweetener is derived from stevia and is considered a natural sweetener. Aspartame, nutrisweet, splenda, saccharin and the other artificial sweeteners are not considered safe sweeteners. One should use caution when selecting diet soda and diet drinks to be sure they are selecting safe drinks.

There are also issues with regular soda, the only safe sodas are the ones made with sugar, high fructose cane sugar (HFCS) is not a safe sweetener and is banned in most of the rest of the world, except for the US. Research is showing that HFCS leads to obesity and as everyone knows, obesity is rampant in the US and Canada.
  • Mirdir
    Mirdir Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I drink a couple cans of diet coke a day, It's my caffeine fix. I don't drink alcohol and I hate coffee so I'm not going to guilt myself over some bubbly water and aspartame. It doesn't make me crave sugar and I don't actually like how regular coke tastes.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    NutraSweet is an addictive substance, so most likely those defending there drinking of diet soda are most likely NutraSweet addicts. Aspartame is another name for NutraSweet.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners and have read enough studies that link them with serious health risks. So for myself and my family, I am against them.
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    no soda. ever. not even once.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I like diet pepsi and diet 7up, those are the only two. Actually I REALLY like them! Can't stand regular pepsi, but give me a can of diet and im on cloud 9. However, I get nasty headaches if I drink too much, so I don't keep it in the house, it's just something I get if we go out to eat.
    This isn't personal experience, but my cousin has lost about 160 lbs now over the past 2 years, she guzzles diet coke. 5-6 cans a day easily, she claims none of the side effects you read about, and it certainly hasn't slowed down her weight loss. For her it's the only way she keeps herself from eating high cal sweets.