Guide: Properly lose BODY FAT % (For Women)!

Options

Replies

• Cherishanne
    Cherishanne Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump - thank you for posting some useful information :)
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I've been allotted 1200 by MFP. I did the calculations using an online calc and here are my results:

TDEE: 1718
    BMR: 1431

How accurate are these online calculators?

So according to this my calorie intake is much too low. What do you suggest, o wise ones? I am new to both TDEE and BMR.

The online calculators are an estimate so they aren't the most accurate but they do give you an idea of your range.

You really have to find your calories where you're losing weight/getting toner without losing too much strength. But the main points is to not go over your TDEE (obviously) and don't go too under your BMR or you may lose lean muscle mass.
  • nutandbutter
    Options

Op- you know that article is from 2001. Spend some time in the nutrition section instead of the misc if you really want to learn.

The a whole post is about the basics of body fat % which really isn't brain science and nothing significant has happened in the past 3 decades to change the rules of it.

If you look at articles from 2012, they will say almost the same thing. Please feel free to add what you find will help and criticize what I wrote...just don't post something saying I'm wrong without any reasoning behind it. We are all here for help and everyone's body is different so TAKE EVERYTHING WITH A GRAIN OF SALT when it comes to fitness.

Perhaps I should have been more clear. Most of the articles on bb.com are filled with broscience. A major change in the last several years is meal timing. Something you advocated in your initial post. I assumed you were a miscer since your inspiration is Zyzz. I'm being dead serious when I say head to the nutrition section and just read. They know their **** there.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You are making this WAY too complicated for every. Here is the simplest way to cut body fat"

1. Figure out BMR
    2. Figure out TDEE (include exercise into your TDEE, so you don't need to eat back exercise calories)
    3. Cut 20% from your TDEE

Here is the results:

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"
  • handslikestars
    Options
    bump for later
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    so my TDEE is 3181. my BMR 2052. i have been eating in the 1500 cal range but last couple months my weight loss has slowed. anyone have thoughts on where i should be at calorie wise? 41 male weights 4 days/week for an hour cardio on those days for about 20 mins. and 2 other days walking for 60 mins.

id like to lose as close to 2lbs a week as possible.

thanks.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I've recently plateaued on my body fat percentage.
    I can't seem to move it AT ALL even though I do cardio for an hour fives times a week.
    And not moderate cardio, my shirt is soaking by the time I'm done.
    In addition to 30-45 minutes of weight training by myself and with a trainer.

I calculated my TDEE and BMR.
    TDEE: 2899
    BMR: 1685

Should I not stay at consuming 1200 cals a day?
    Should I bump it up to maybe 1500? 1600?
    You should be at about 1800 cals consumed.
    At least 100 cals above bmr if not more...200-300.
    or 500-1000 below your TDEE to lose wt...which would be 1899.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    so my TDEE is 3181. my BMR 2052. i have been eating in the 1500 cal range but last couple months my weight loss has slowed. anyone have thoughts on where i should be at calorie wise? 41 male weights 4 days/week for an hour cardio on those days for about 20 mins. and 2 other days walking for 60 mins.

thanks.

based on your#s...500-100cals below your TDEE...which is 2181 to 2681 a day consumed.

2lbs would be 2181...
    but remember...your bmr and tdee are estimates...
    you may have to tweak it up or down to suit your actual BMR.

...with 1500 cals your metabolism could have slowed. Give it a few of weeks of eating above your est. bmr to catch up. Your wt will fluctuate but when it hits that sweet spot..you'll start losing again.
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *bump*
  • cathryn42dogs
    Options
    bump
  • psuLemon
    Options

thanks.

Take your TDEE and cut 20%. Start strength training. Cardio is for heart health. ST is for muscle and cutting fat. ST is more practical in your daily life and will burn more calories in the long run.
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Op- you know that article is from 2001. Spend some time in the nutrition section instead of the misc if you really want to learn.

The a whole post is about the basics of body fat % which really isn't brain science and nothing significant has happened in the past 3 decades to change the rules of it.

If you look at articles from 2012, they will say almost the same thing. Please feel free to add what you find will help and criticize what I wrote...just don't post something saying I'm wrong without any reasoning behind it. We are all here for help and everyone's body is different so TAKE EVERYTHING WITH A GRAIN OF SALT when it comes to fitness.

Perhaps I should have been more clear. Most of the articles on bb.com are filled with broscience. A major change in the last several years is meal timing. Something you advocated in your initial post. I assumed you were a miscer since your inspiration is Zyzz. I'm being dead serious when I say head to the nutrition section and just read. They know their **** there.

Not everything on BB.com is broscience but you're right a lot of it is.

I have pointed out in the first paragraph that this the BASICS of fat loss %. If you believe there is a better way to set up meal timing for fat loss, please go ahead and let us know exactly what it is.

Zyzz being my inspiration does not mean I spend time in the misc section. I have not posted one post on BB.com in the misc section or even pay attention to it. He is just someone who motivated me to start working out so please don't judge people based on 0 information.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

thanks.

You should really be at 2100 - 2200 calories. This allows for a 1000 calorie deficit which theoretically is a 2lb loss per week (but adjust as you continur to lose weight - less than 50lb to go, you should drop to 500 calorie deficit) and also keeps you above your BMR. Be patient with the increase in calories - it may take a couple of weeks to see the benefits.
  • nutandbutter
    Options

Not everything on BB.com is broscience but you're right a lot of it is.

I have pointed out in the first paragraph that this the BASICS of fat loss %. If you believe there is a better way to set up meal timing for fat loss, please go ahead and let us know exactly what it is.

Zyzz being my inspiration does not mean I spend time in the misc section. I have not posted one post on BB.com in the misc section or even pay attention to it. He is just someone who motivated me to start working out so please don't judge people based on 0 information.

Because these are not the basics. You're making it much more complicated than it needs to be. See what psulemon posted:

You are making this WAY too complicated for every. Here is the simplest way to cut body fat"

1. Figure out BMR
    2. Figure out TDEE (include exercise into your TDEE, so you don't need to eat back exercise calories)
    3. Cut 20% from your TDEE

^ that is the basics.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Bump to read comments later
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Ok, break it down for my brain to understand.
    Currently, MFP has me set up to lose one pound a week at a base of 1560 cals a day. (sed. job, I use a HRM and add cals when I work out) I suppose I keep at that rate of a pound a week, I don't weigh in every week.
    My BMR is 1646.
    My TDEE with moderate (3-5 days of excercise) is estimated 2586.

I'm 5'8, 190 pounds, and 27 years old. I have a large amount of body fat to lose while also building muscle.

Now I'm lost as to what you're suggesting. Am I to be consuming between 1646 and 2586?

Your calories should be (IMO) around your BMR (1646) as you're trying to lose weight but you can't overdo it by going too much under because you will lose some muscle mass you already have. So that's the basics of it but you really need to find that sweet spot where you're still losing weight but not losing strength/recovery at the gym - because your BMR is an estimation everyone has a different metabolism.

Thank you :happy:
    I've been wanting to build muscle and burn the embarassing amount of fat from my midsection and rear. I'll play around a little with it all.

Not to be a downer, but it's going to be fairly difficult to burn fat and build muscle. Both are different approaches. You burn fat with caloric deficits, you build muscle on a caloric surplus. But you can make those muscles more visible.

BTW, just take your TDEE and cut 20%. As well as lift weights.
  • chachalita8
    chachalita8 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump