eating 1000 cal and feeling great

Options

Replies

• emmieanataylor
    Options
    i wake up every day feeling like i have eaten a tonne a bricks the night before and i couldn't go the grocery store as i didn't have the energy. i.e my muscles ached more if i ate more and didn't ache when i ate 1000 cals.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    What exactly ARE you eating? Your diary is closed so you are really asking a pointless question here. If you are eating two cupcakes a day.., then yes…., it is wrong. If you are scarfing down veggies with some protein all day long, then you probably don’t have a problem. But seriously, if you are truly doing cardio that much, you would naturally be hungry. It BS to say otherwise.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    this will work when you first start a diet program...its kind of a shock to your body and you will lose...but your body will adjust and then you wont lose anymore....its better to make yourself eat and exercise...even if you have to grab a handful of almonds to up your calories....this is the key to long term weight loss success.....and i know its hard to get used to the idea of "if i eat more i will lose more"....but that is what has worked for me.
  • mczwright
    mczwright Posts: 62
    Options
    Are you doing 30 minutes of cardio at one time? I do 30 minutes every day but break it up in intervals. Like, morning - 10 min, Noon - 10 minutes, Evening - 10 min. Just make sure you get your protein and plenty of water after each exercise. If you eat "super foods" like eggs and yogurt and celery, they will help boost your metabolism and are very low calorie.

Remember to drink plenty of water!!!

Sometimes I don't reach 1200 calories but I listen to my body. If it says I'm hungry, I'll eat. I'm not gonna force food down my throat just to reach some number.

Listen to YOUR body. Not what everyone else tells you.
  • silkysly
    Options

I'm being rude because I don't want people to see this thread and get encouraged to starve themselves skinny like you are doing. There is a million threads on this forum addressing why this is a unhealthy and unsustainable weight loss method.

If this is working for you, well, good for you. Just don't come here and encourage others to follow in your foot steps.
    I think some people think weigh loss is the goal & for some reason they think the ends justify the means. The bottom line is…, it’s about being healthy. Common sense would say she knows it wrong to eat that little of food. She wouldn’t have posted the question if she thought she was doing the right thing.
  • amy_marlene
    amy_marlene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    What exactly ARE you eating? Your diary is closed so you are really asking a pointless question here. If you are eating two cupcakes a day.., then yes…., it is wrong. If you are scarfing down veggies with some protein all day long, then you probably don’t have a problem. But seriously, if you are truly doing cardio that much, you would naturally be hungry. It BS to say otherwise.
    i eat whole grains,vegetables,fruits,protein,good fats and drink lots of water
    yes i'm doing 30 minutes of cardio 5-6 times a week
  • amy_marlene
    Options
    Are you doing 30 minutes of cardio at one time? I do 30 minutes every day but break it up in intervals. Like, morning - 10 min, Noon - 10 minutes, Evening - 10 min. Just make sure you get your protein and plenty of water after each exercise. If you eat "super foods" like eggs and yogurt and celery, they will help boost your metabolism and are very low calorie.

Remember to drink plenty of water!!!

Sometimes I don't reach 1200 calories but I listen to my body. If it says I'm hungry, I'll eat. I'm not gonna force food down my throat just to reach some number.

Listen to YOUR body. Not what everyone else tells you.
    yes i'm doing 30 minutes of cardio at one time.
    i'm eating eggs and yogurts :) and drinking lots of water
  • silkysly
    Options
    Open your diary if you truely want help...
  • amy_marlene
    Options
    the ONLY reason why i posted this is because i wanted to hear other people opinions on how i feel and see if somebody had the same or similar experience.
    that's all. i didn't want to promote anything or bragg around with my 'unhealthy eating habits - starving mysel'
    i don't think i'm starving myself. i have 5-6 meals a day. i eat veggies,fruits,whole grains,meat,yougurt,rice,almonds,eggs,integral toast,peanut butter,milk,... and drink lots of water and exercise 5-6 days a week.
    am i really being so unhealthy as all of you are saying? i think i'm not.
  • Tanishhaaaaaa
    Tanishhaaaaaa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP, I was only eating 800 - 900 calories, because I wasn't hungry, but then I stopped losing weight.
    It was hard, but now I've upped my calories to 1200 - 1300, I'm losing MUCH more (: (:
  • amy_marlene
    Options
    Open your diary if you truely want help...
    most of the stuff are not logged on english so it would be pointless unless you're willng to translate 90 % of my diary.
  • mczwright
    mczwright Posts: 62
    Options
    the ONLY reason why i posted this is because i wanted to hear other people opinions on how i feel and see if somebody had the same or similar experience.
    that's all. i didn't want to promote anything or bragg around with my 'unhealthy eating habits - starving mysel'
    i don't think i'm starving myself. i have 5-6 meals a day. i eat veggies,fruits,whole grains,meat,yougurt,rice,almonds,eggs,integral toast,peanut butter,milk,... and drink lots of water and exercise 5-6 days a week.

Try not to think about numbers and think about if you feel healthy or not. Just stay away from empty carbs like white bread and white rice and junk food. These foods will raise your glycemic level (blood sugar) and make you feel refreshed for a little while but you'll crash afterwards.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of screwed up hormones!
    Seek help!

Your leptin levels are probably very low so no fat loss.
    Ghrelin is probably screwed so you wont have any hunger issues.
    Cortisol is probably running rampant so you are most likely losing lean mass daily.
    Its possible that down the road you wont be having any kids and youll be going to get hormone replacement therapy.

To break this pattern, start eating 2k a day for the next few months and you should bounce back just fine.
  • silkysly
    Options
    If you think you are not, then why did you ask? Seriously…, any doctor or professional nutritionist will differ with you. At your height & weight, you need more than 1,000 calories a day to be healthy. Period. I need more & I’m only 117 lbs.

Ps…, Eating what you say you eat, 5 or 6 times a day would amount to more than 1,000 calories a day. Trust me, I eat super healthy & know my numbers. (I'm done.)
  • amy_marlene
    Options

Ps…, Eating what you say you eat, 5 or 6 times a day would amount to more than 1,000 calories a day. Trust me, I eat super healthy & know my numbers. (I'm done.)
    lol i just said what kind of food i'm consuming,not that i'm consuming it all every day
  • amy_marlene
    Options

Its possible that down the road you wont be having any kids and youll be going to get hormone replacement therapy.

oh cool
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You need to learn to eat for your body but to eat enough to sustain it. If you keep to such a low calorie intake, you will end up back where you started eventually...been there, done that and got the proverbial t shirt, having suffered eating disorders for much of my life and I am still battling to find a healthy way of eating that maintains my weight where I am healthy but comfortable in my skin. I can tell you that although eating that number of calories will lose weight, it will also make you much more prone to binge eating, and prone to picking up every virus going around as well. It is also a slippery slope that could lead to anorexia if you were to keep reducing that number which is how I ended up in my late teens.

I suggest upping to at least 1300 for the sake of your body. It won't put on weight, so don't worry about that. And it is so easy to do even if you aren't very hungry, as others have said. A tablespoon of peanut butter adds close to another 100, or just a 100g bag of trail mix can add 500-600. A chocolate bar a day, would add around 250 or take to eating avocados as they contain a lot of nutrition and a few hundred calories.

Feel free to message me if you ever want support and an understanding ear, since I have my own battles with the binge eating and food in general.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

lol i just said what kind of food i'm consuming,not that i'm consuming it all every day

Sounds like you're on your way to skinny fat. Low metabolism and flabby body. Good luck with eating this way forever.
  • amy_marlene
    Options
    You need to learn to eat for your body but to eat enough to sustain it. If you keep to such a low calorie intake, you will end up back where you started eventually...been there, done that and got the proverbial t shirt, having suffered eating disorders for much of my life and I am still battling to find a healthy way of eating that maintains my weight where I am healthy but comfortable in my skin. I can tell you that although eating that number of calories will lose weight, it will also make you much more prone to binge eating, and prone to picking up every virus going around as well. It is also a slippery slope that could lead to anorexia if you were to keep reducing that number which is how I ended up in my late teens.

I suggest upping to at least 1300 for the sake of your body. It won't put on weight, so don't worry about that. And it is so easy to do even if you aren't very hungry, as others have said. A tablespoon of peanut butter adds close to another 100, or just a 100g bag of trail mix can add 500-600. A chocolate bar a day, would add around 250 or take to eating avocados as they contain a lot of nutrition and a few hundred calories.

Feel free to message me if you ever want support and an understanding ear, since I have my own battles with the binge eating and food in general.
    it's nice to see somebody being kind.
    thank you for your advice :)
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    As a lot of people mention it's unhealthy, one of the main problems is burning lean muscle, muscle that is needed to function and for health, especially the muscle around your heart.

I know how hard it can be, I was under eating for years, initially when I first started, which was after dieting normally for years, being impatient, and very young, thinking my life would pass by and I would remain overweight I kept cutting my calories until I was on around 700 - 800 a day on average, I'm 5'10" and quite a big build so that was really restrictive. I maintained this for over two years and was full of energy for those two years, and then I slumped, it got worse, I could barely move, I had no energy and I gained weight and carried on gaining even though my calorie intake has stayed fairly low, rarely above 1500 but more often around 1100. In fact I've restricted what I ate so much that I would start to binge eat at weekends but still only going up to around 2000.

If you are binge eating when you aren't restricting this is something you seriously need to sort out, seek a professional. I'm eating more food now than I have in a decade and I'm losing weight. I exercise quite a bit too now as I have the energy to. I now try and have what I like all within my calroie/fat/carb goals along with plenty of fruit and veg.

I would urge you to try and get your net calories up to 1200 which is still quite low for your height and weight, just add some more fruit and veg. I would open your diary, if people seriously want to help they will either work out or translate the food listed themselves.
This discussion has been closed.