eating 1000 cal and feeling great

Options

Replies

• thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's wrong. And yes you CAN force yourself to eat more to be healthy. You can do anything you set your mind to!! I fear you may have to learn the hard way though :/. You'll lose as much muscle as you do fat with a very low calorie diet. Muscle IS metabolism!! You have to fuel your body better. Good luck hon. :)
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    Listen to YOUR body.

I hate this advice, and I'll tell you why.

I "listened to my body" when I was about 26 years old and had just split with my boyfriend. I only ate when I was hungry. I wasn't dieting. My weight wasn't on my radar at all. And I went down to a frightening 102 pounds at 5'5. I was wearing clothes from the children's department.

I "listened to my body" when I was about 36-37 and my parents died. I only ate when I was hungry. But this time around, "when I was hungry" was a lot more frequently. And I went up to a rather chunky (for me) 160 pounds at 5'5.

My body is stupid. I don't listen to it any more.

i feel the same way. My body and my brain do NOT communicate very well! My brain could convince my body it was not hungry and vice versa. I have struggled with every eating disorder in the book, and I'll tell you right now that I've never been happier with my body than I am right now eating 1500-1600 calories a day of REAL food.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

There have also been a lot of published books that have done the body harm.

Yup - and they become the "fad" diet of the decade. I remember back in the 1980's the "you are what you eat so cut out all fat" diets. Then came "carb restriction and don't worry about calories" Then MAYO, grapefruit, egg, and numerous other "diet of the day" plans.
  • mczwright
    mczwright Posts: 62
    Options
    Are you doing 30 minutes of cardio at one time? I do 30 minutes every day but break it up in intervals. Like, morning - 10 min, Noon - 10 minutes, Evening - 10 min. Just make sure you get your protein and plenty of water after each exercise. If you eat "super foods" like eggs and yogurt and celery, they will help boost your metabolism and are very low calorie.

Remember to drink plenty of water!!!

Sometimes I don't reach 1200 calories but I listen to my body. If it says I'm hungry, I'll eat. I'm not gonna force food down my throat just to reach some number.

Listen to YOUR body. Not what everyone else tells you.
    tigerpalm.jpg
    Terrible advice. Your body adjusts to what your brain tells it. You can decide to only eat a head of lettuce a day, and your body would adjust to it and accept it. You die of malnutrition and starvation, but hey, you're listening to your body, right?

You have a BRAIN for a reason. The brain controls the body, the body doesn't control the brain.

You can crave junk food, and think that's what your brain wants, when really your body wants sugar. So, eat natural sugar, like an apple. If I'm full and can't stand the thought of eating another bite, I'm not gonna make myself miserable by eating just to reach a number.

Yeah, your body adjusts, that's why obesity rate is so high. People think they Need to eat more than what their body needs.

I'm just giving advice that I'm using. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong. I'm not saying you are right or wrong either. And, I'm not trying to argue. Just clarifying.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    You won't lose for long at that low a calorie intake.
    not being rude or anything but i know a lot of people who lost lots of weight on this intake and haven't gained it back
    Well lucky them. Except they're not lucky because they're not adequately nourishing themselves. And that's if they're even being honest about their intake.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Speaking of trying to encourage someone to do something... ..,, .......,
    Why would you come here and brag about your unhealthy and unsustainable weight loss?

why are you being so rude?
    i'm NOT bragging about anything. I'm just saying how i feel and asking people for advice. that's all.
    i guess i should be apologizing for not being hungry o.O

I'm being rude because I don't want people to see this thread and get encouraged to starve themselves skinny like you are doing. There is a million threads on this forum addressing why this is a unhealthy and unsustainable weight loss method.

If this is working for you, well, good for you. Just don't come here and encourage others to follow in your foot steps.
  • watboy
    Options
    Me too
    You won't lose for long at that low a calorie intake.
    not being rude or anything but i know a lot of people who lost lots of weight on this intake and haven't gained it back
  • watboy
    Options
    So so true. Instead of offering advice poor girl gets beat up. Nowhere in her post did the OP encourage people to eat 1,000 calories.

I'm being rude because I don't want people to see this thread and get encouraged to starve themselves skinny like you are doing. There is a million threads on this forum addressing why this is a unhealthy and unsustainable weight loss method.

If this is working for you, well, good for you. Just don't come here and encourage others to follow in your foot steps.

Possibly, without knowing her background, a little more support would be warranted here, as she just joined less than 2 months ago, and you have been here over a year. I know for myself that there is a HUGE difference in what I thought in the course of a year here. Just a thought?
    [/quote]
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Listen to YOUR body.

I "listened to my body" when I was about 26 years old and had just split with my boyfriend. I only ate when I was hungry. I wasn't dieting. My weight wasn't on my radar at all. And I went down to a frightening 102 pounds at 5'5. I was wearing clothes from the children's department.

I "listened to my body" when I was about 36-37 and my parents died. I only ate when I was hungry. But this time around, "when I was hungry" was a lot more frequently. And I went up to a rather chunky (for me) 160 pounds at 5'5.

Well your body is the only body you have. Look after it, do not insult it and it will last you a lifetime ;)
  • lizb41
    lizb41 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi...i haven't read any of the other replies so i may be repeating others but i would say no...it's fine. I was doing the same and stayed between 800 and 1200 cals a day for nearly four months, mostly averaging abouit 1000. I asked my GP and he said as long as i felt ok and adjusted my calorie intake when i reached my goal then it was safe and healthy....much healthier than my previous diet!!!
    I managed to lose over 60lbs in the 4 months doing that....then it started to get tougher so i joined weightwatchers and have lost 16lbs in the past 5 weeks, which i'm happy with.
    i would say you should listen to your body and if you need more some days then have it and the same if you feel you need less...do that too. Don't be swayed by some extreme views you see on mfp (although there is also lots of great advice too) as it could mess up your determination...just keep doing what works for you for as long as you can and good luck x
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    hey if your body says its ok right now then its ok right now just like when your body says "!!!!feed me!!!" you sould also do just that!!:smile: all tho you should try to eat some high nutrant foods and take an awsome multi vitamin non the less
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options

There have also been a lot of published books that have done the body harm.

Yup - and they become the "fad" diet of the decade. I remember back in the 1980's the "you are what you eat so cut out all fat" diets. Then came "carb restriction and don't worry about calories" Then MAYO, grapefruit, egg, and numerous other "diet of the day" plans.

Exactly! I wasn't trying to be rude I just remember a lot of the more recent fads like "The Adkins Diet" I have watched so many friends do this and fail because they lose the weight and then put it back on quickly because they start eating carbs again. And it seems like just the littlest carb to them packs on so much weight.
  • lizb41
    lizb41 Posts: 17
    Options
    oh and one more thing.
    i have a binge eating disorder since i was 12.
    so i don't have any eating habits. the only habit i have is overeating all the time.
    so for me this is a lifestyle change.because i don't know how to eat 'normal'.

keep doing what you are doing - you don't need anyones permission or approval....sounds like you're taking control of bad habits, which i did also, and that can only be a good thing.....it will work, and it will stay off if you keep eating healthily x
  • wingsandgills
    wingsandgills Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you are only eating 1000 calories or a little less, you should really go check in with a doctor every now and then. They can do blood work and check on your vitals to make sure you're staying healthy. I am on a doctor-supervised medical fast that has me eating about 800-1000 calories a day mostly in high-protein, nutritionally-balanced supplements. So it IS possible to eat only 1000 calories a day and remain healthy, but you shouldn't do it without a medical professional keeping an eye on you!

About five weeks into my fast, I had to temporarily suspend my fast and eat a diet of 1800 calories. This was because they did some blood tests and my liver was showing signs of irritation (~400 ALT). It turned out that some days I was eating just one too few supplements and I also wasn't staying hydrated enough. During this time I felt absolutely amazing, never hungry or tired! At 1000 calories it's kind of a tight rope walk. Be careful and talk to a doctor!

You don't have to tell them you're doing a 1000 calorie diet, but just that you want to make sure you're staying healthy on your diet and want some occasional checkups and blood work done. You can also look up "protein-sparing modified fast" and do a little research on how that works. Also "very low calorie diet." People do use these methods!

BTW, I think doing a protein-sparing modified fast (what I'm doing) can be really helpful for binge eating disorder. It really forces you to confront the problems that were leading to your overeating. This way you can learn what needs are not being met that you were soothing with food. Good luck to you!

Edit: Holy crap! I just read through the comments here, and some people on MFP are apparently rude and vicious! Honestly, I think moderators should disable posts asking for calorie/nutrition advice because none of us will take legal responsibility if our advice ends up harmful to the OP. I can't believe there are no moderators in here when there are intentionally malicious posts or posts using pure scare tactics to coerce the OP into changing her diet. Wow! There's a ton of what my (registered) dietitian calls "internet dietitians" in here too... people who mean well but have gotten all their info from 3rd-hand sources on the internet. At least I learned early to never come to the forums for advice. Phew! (/rant)
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I just read recently... 1 lb fat = 3500 cals... 1 lb muscle = 600 cals! On low cal diets, you drop weight faster bc it's usually muscle.

Typically as women, we tend to focus on the scale # but if you'll quickly see for yourself in the success stories section... The gals that lost slower, retained more muscle and their bodies are firmer with less cellulite than those weighing less who lost faster.

Just a little food for thought. :)
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Why would you come here and brag about your unhealthy and unsustainable weight loss?
    I say lets leav her alone. She just started a week ago. Personally, im giving her 3months tops and hopefully she ll give us some feedback. Some people learn the hard way.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Listen to YOUR body.

Well your body is the only body you have. Look after it, do not insult it and it will last you a lifetime ;)

There's nothing wrong with fitting into childrens sizes! I did as an adult before I had kids. Hope to fit in those sizes again once I'm done having kids.
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    Let me tell you a story. I started out at 220lbs. I was losing weight by eating 1700 calories a day and adding 45 minutes at the gym in addition to my 4 2-5 hour dance classes a week. Then I started cutting it down till I was eventually eating what you were eating or less.

I felt great. You know why? Because I was running on adrenaline because lack of food caused me to stop sleeping. This spiraled into a 15 year eating disorder. There was a study done on healthy men. i forget what state. They cut their calories down to what you were eating and within weeks most of the men were preoccupied with losing weight, hoarding food, and showing all kinds of eating disordered behaviors

I am now having to go get blood work every 3 months and take all kinds of supplements in addition to changing my diet because my vitamin D is constantly low, I could have died from how low my iron was, my potassium is frequently low.

Does this sound like a nice future for you?
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

My thoughts (I'll be repeating some other people's comments here).

On 1000 cals or less, you won't feel hungry. I don't get why, but you won't. I know you say you can't force yourself, but if you want to get healthy, you'll have to try and give it a go. I was on about 850-900 calories, no way was I hungry. But I'd done it for so long, well, other stuff started happening. Fainting, incredible tiredness, dizziness, seeing weird, tiny little stars around my eyes all the time. Some people lose their hair. My nails are foul, I've no muscle tone - essentially (and it upsets me to say this in public, even under a pseudonym - I am weak). I know you feel great, but you won't forever. It actually can't be maintained, because, simply, you'll continue to lose weight and die, or your body will intervene.

What I mean by that - you said you've always been a binger. Me too - big style. That's how I got so heavy (if you're looking at my ticker, don't - this is my second time on MFP). I've got to be honest, I was pretty proud of myself for being on less than 1000, and (another awful thing to admit) - I felt superior. If someone said they ate their BMR, I'd think I was awesome for having the "strength" to eat less. But back to binging - some people starve, other people, well, their bodies take over. After about 18 months of this 'less than 1000 rule', Lord, I was hungry, man! My body wasn't interested in my mind's goals. It was more than cravings, I can't say what it was. But I had to eat! No choice. Well, you get that yourself, you know what binging is like. It takes over. So I gained 40lbs. Which, you know, was a killer for my self esteem and my superior attitude! People who do it slowly, steadily, and healthy will keep on losing their weight, and when I was first on here, still my MFP pals were losing their lbs, while I was gaining. Kind of a kick in my superior teeth. But, they are the winners.

And now, I admire them and I'm trying to be like them. I deliberately add people who eat their exercise cals and aim for their BMR. They inspire me. (You can probably tell I have an eating disorder, so I add pro-recovery folks as well). These people have taken the time to educate themselves and learn the basic dos and don'ts. I didn't, and I'm wondering where exactly my arrogance came from!

As for losing weight - of course you're losing weight. But the scales don't measure your fat loss, they measure other loss. I mean, the scales basically only measure your gravitational pull to the earth :) If I didn't eat for a few days, there'd be no food in me, none at all, so I'd weigh less. I might lose water as well, so that would be more loss. And I've mentioned muscle - long term, you'll lose muscle tone and stuff (I'm just learning about that myself).

Example - I once measured my body fat. I was close to my goal weight (back then, it was super low). My BMI was about 17, and my body fat - can't remember the figure, but I do remember it was the high end of normal. So, scales said underweight, body fat didn't match it. So scales and numbers going down don't give you the full picture.

Right now, I'm aiming for 1300 calories with the long term goal of eating my BMR AND exercise calories (scary). A few days ago, I was hungry for the first time. I am still losing weight, and I'm still not exactly doing it the healthy way. But I remember - last time I was this weight, my jeans fit fine. Now, at the same weight, they're too big.

So yeah. I know it's hard, I know so well how it's hard. But listen to people, this isn't the way to go. You may feel great, but over time you'll gradually feel less great, so gradual you may not even notice it. That was the hard bit for me - feeling great, or believing I did, despite knowing I was exhausted most of the time. It just didn't register, not quickly enough at least.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Most of us are not nutritionists or doctors, so no matter what anyone says about how much they've researched the topic, it doesn't substitute talking to your doctor about your weight loss plans. In fact, almost every diet recommends that you talk to your doctor /before/ starting a weight loss plan. A doctor may want to take some blood work now and then later to make sure your body is working as it should. Trust /that/. Don't believe the stories you want to believe or ignore the advice you don't like. A lot of us have food issues. That doesn't make us mentally unsound. But it does mean we need to take care of how we lose weight, and no one can give you better--or more correct--information than your doctor. If you're not willing to see your doctor, then you aren't willing to hear an honest, researched answered. You're only looking for confirmation and validation of /your/ diet--whether it's healthy or not. There have been cases of people following low calorie diets, but the ones who want to be healthy and responsible follow these diets under the care of a healthcare physician. There really isn't any excuse for not seeing a doctor to draw up a healthy weight loss plan unless you really only want to do what you want to do--not what's necessarily good science, healthy, or well-planned.
This discussion has been closed.