Options

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I think it's wrong.

Who am I? Nobody.

Does my opinion matter? Probably not.

But yeah in my unprofessional opinion it is ALLLLLLLLLLLLL WRONG!

You're losing muscle by the way... Do you care about that? I would be scurrrred!
  • twinlaced
    twinlaced Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine for rapid loss. I consume less. However, I wouldn't have posted about it though, because you're going to get bashed by 90% of people on this forum who think their ways are always the right way. Do what you want to do. It's your body ffs.
  • millissa1
    millissa1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    She is not encouraging anyone she is just talking.....
    I thought this website was about support...
  • _AshLynn
    _AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Why would you come here and brag about your unhealthy and unsustainable weight loss?

Why would you report such a bratty comment? Seriously, there are a lot of people who eat around 1,000 calories per day. I do and I have several people on my friend's list who do. Just because your huge and need to eat more doesn't mean that other people do. Get over yourself. Don't comment just to be rude. There are many people who do this. You should try it, maybe you'd have better luck. You have no proof if they are doing anything to their body. If they eat correctly and get everything they need in their diet then there is no problem. Your body needs nutrients not calories. Go by whats being put in vs the numbers.
  • millissa1
    Options
    I say lets leav her alone. She just started a week ago. Personally, im giving her 3months tops and hopefully she ll give us some feedback. Some people learn the hard way.

I agree.
  • twinlaced
    twinlaced Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Why would you come here and brag about your unhealthy and unsustainable weight loss?

Why would you report such a bratty comment? Seriously, there are a lot of people who eat around 1,000 calories per day. I do and I have several people on my friend's list who do. Just because your huge and need to eat more doesn't mean that other people do. Get over yourself. Don't comment just to be rude. There are many people who do this. You should try it, maybe you'd have better luck. You have no proof if they are doing anything to their body. If they eat correctly and get everything they need in their diet then there is no problem. Your body needs nutrients not calories. Go by whats being put in vs the numbers.

Exactly. Many centenarians have actually cut their intake in half. If she wants to consume 1000 then fine. Jeesh
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    She is not encouraging anyone she is just talking.....
    I thought this website was about support...

It is, but not for 1,000 calorie diets. MFP will actually tell you when you post your food log that going under 1,200 calories is not healthy. And in the guidelines for the forums, they tell posters specifically not to encourage potentially harmful diets:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) No pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia posts, groups, profile names, or profile bylines. Photos intended to promote or glamorize extreme thinness are also not permitted.

I think this could easily fit under "unsafe weight-loss techniques."
  • millissa1
    Options

Exactly. Many centenarians have actually cut their intake in half. If she wants to consume 1000 then fine. Jeesh

I ate less tham my requirement until i hit just under my goal weight (i did not excercise at all) - i only had to do it for a few months. when i went under my goal weight, i increased my calorie intake to what it shoyuld be. so i was 145 and then i went down to 118 in a few short months by eating 1000 calories or less. once i hit that 118 - i didnt look pretty mind you and loss my bumpy - i increase my intake and began to excercise. I feel good and can see how my body is taking shape. but weghing 145 and 150 was very depressing. I am not saying this is the roght way to go. But different strokes for different folks.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options

You also have no proof that they are /not/ doing something to their bodies.
    You should try it, maybe you'd have better luck.

I never realized that losing weight on MFP was a competition. :huh:
  • brasslady1
    brasslady1 Posts: 113
    Options
    Is your weight loss good?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    really disheartening to see people so rude and arrogant...we are all here for various reasons she is just starting her journey..kudos to you pros who have MASTERED the art of weight loss and protion control..you should be billionaires by now..jeesh.....no matter how many calories someone is eating no matter what diet they are on..no matter how they choose to use mfp ..everyone deserves some level of respect and compassion...you do not know their circumstances and really do you think anyone would feel open to explaining anything with comments like these?
  • angiebarker
    angiebarker Posts: 127
    Options
    You are putting your body in starvation mode. it will slowly affect your organs. i suggest bumping your calories to atleast 1200
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    so i've been eating 900-1100 cal per day and i don't feel hungry or tired or anything. i feel great. i also do cardio for 5-6 times a week ( for about 30 minutes )
    i'm 5'5 tall,156 lbs
    i don't feel like my body needs more because i feel full all the time.
    is this wrong?

I felt normal eating 400-700 net calories for months. That doesn't mean it was enough to sustain my body. And, in the time I was eating that little I didn't lose any weight.

You should not be eating below your BMR if your goal is to burn fat. Up your calories, slowly if you have to. Your body will adjust as you retrain it to want the proper amount of food.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I could never survive on the little.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    so i've been eating 900-1100 cal per day and i don't feel hungry or tired or anything. i feel great. i also do cardio for 5-6 times a week ( for about 30 minutes )
    i'm 5'5 tall,156 lbs
    i don't feel like my body needs more because i feel full all the time.
    is this wrong?

Well done you. You're starting BMI is over 25 so you have a bit to go at.

As long as you eat enough protein you won't waste muscle tissue and despite what people may say your body is still running on 1500 or 2000 or whatever calories it's just you aren't putting all of them in your mouth.

Eat a good variety of foods and consider mutlivitamin supplements too.
  • countryrayne
    Options
    In college I lost about 100 lbs. I started out doing it in a healthy manner but the more I lost the slower the progress became so I just kept cutting calories. It got to the point that I was only eating a grapfuit and 1/4 cup of cereal everyother day. At this point I completelly quit losing weight. My body was starving. It ruined my metabolism and my health. I was too weak to workout. I was too weak to even think properally at my office job and I always felt like I was about to pass out. I was truley sick. The worst part of it is I was not able to keep the weight off. As soon as I started eating again I gained weight like crazy. I would recomend that you see a nutiritionist so that you do not fall into the same trap.
  • allycat54
    allycat54 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I did that for awhile and it worked but then it stopped working. I started eating more and eating my exercise calories and the weight came off, no more plateau.
  • Fergie21
    Fergie21 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    really disheartening to see people so rude and arrogant...we are all here for various reasons she is just starting her journey..kudos to you pros who have MASTERED the art of weight loss and protion control..you should be billionaires by now..jeesh.....no matter how many calories someone is eating no matter what diet they are on..no matter how they choose to use mfp ..everyone deserves some level of respect and compassion...you do not know their circumstances and really do you think anyone would feel open to explaining anything with comments like these?

Well said.
  • wingsandgills
    wingsandgills Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It is, but not for 1,000 calorie diets. MFP will actually tell you when you post your food log that going under 1,200 calories is not healthy. And in the guidelines for the forums, they tell posters specifically not to encourage potentially harmful diets:

Just to clarify, MFP does not say eating under 1,200 is unhealthy. They say it is difficult to receive adequate nutrition at those low levels of caloric intake (true) and MAY lead to your body entering starvation mode. They don't make any hard statements like "this is unhealthy" because this isn't a medical website and because eating around 1,000 calories a day is not necessarily unhealthy. My dietitian has me on a roughly 1,000 calorie protein-sparing modified fast. I just think people wanting to eat that little should be consulting with a doctor or registered dietitian.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Please pay attention to what others on here are saying to try to educate you (not the mean ones). Their comments are based on known science - your current diet is very unhealthy. Your body needs fuel to function and to exercise, which comes from food. You are in starvation mode. This causes loss of muscles and bone mass, and will affect all the other non-fat parts of your body in a very unhealthy way. It will slow your metabolism to the point that you will need even less calories to move that scale and your hormones will become out of whack. Exercise will be less efficient at burning calories, because you have tricked your body into conserving energy by storing it for later and you will lose endurance. Build your caloric intake to at least 1200 and eat at least 1/2 your exercise calories back if you are at that calorie level. Instead of focusing on as few calories as possible, focus on the types of foods you are eating - lean meats and other sources of protein, fruits and vegetables and steel mill variety whole grains.
This discussion has been closed.