"Paleo diet" - 70% fat???

Options
1121314151618»

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    human sacrifice were common even as late as the celts and germanic tribes in europe.

Now this thread is getting interesting!!! :laugh:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/bones-provide-irrefutable-evidence-that-ancient-britons-were-cannibals-692882.html
  • gshinkle
    gshinkle Posts: 20
    Options
    Err, all those species around then are extinct... I'm just saying, if we evolved from creatures like this, then why is it all of the sudden different.

I'm not arguing that grains are steroids. I'm saying that unless you have an allergy, I don't see the reason why grains are bad for you. I eat grains all the time and for a good part of my life. Never had a problem with it. A lot of people as well do not have a problem with it.

All of a sudden? No no no...we've only been using grains as a dominant food source for 10,000 years. Homo-sapiens have been around for 200,000 years. Within these years, I don't doubt people got their hands on corn and oats, but they were not likely staples of their diet as they are in modern times.

Grains cause inflammation in the body. Persistently eating grains can lead to chronic inflammation, whether you notice it or not. This inflammation is linked to a host of ailments including heart disease, allergies, joint problems and so on. They also break down into glucose much more easily than most natural foods which can cause insulin surges which can also lead to other problems like diabetes. They're also loaded with lectins which do all sorts bad stuff - like binding to intestinal lining and causing leptin resistance.

Just because you do not plainly see an immediate problem does not mean your body is not suffering. Lots of people don't see any problems...until they end up with diabetes for some strange reason in their 40s or realize they have some clogged arteries in their 50s, or start developing digestive problems in their 60s. Yes, some people will be more greatly impacted than others, but that doesn't imply you aren't going to be even remotely affect in your lifetime but a high consumption of grains.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/

The article explains why grains are bad. It also links to a couple of actual scientific studies. I have some more scientific studies of my own lined up, but I'm far too tired to dig them up and go into detail with them. But don't worry, I'll put it on my to-do list and assuming my boyfriend doesn't arrive too early tomorrow, I'll do it tomorrow morning. If he arrives earlier than expected, I'll post them Monday morning.

Most of those studies are people with celiac disease. The one's that are not really don't have much of a conclusion. I tried to find other studies in google scholar but have not come up with any results.

This leads me to strongly believe you didn't actually click on all of the links or read the entire article. Yes, the gluten portion had a lot of celiac studies, but the links provided supporting the idea that lectins and phytates (things which grains contain an abundance of) are harmful to the body had absolutely nothing to do with celiac disease or gluten in general.

I'm disappointed. I thought if I provided some resources, they would actually be read. But I just received a phone call and don't have much more time before I need to head out. Don't worry about finding articles on google scholar. I'll find them for you come Monday morning when I have the time.

I went through it again, maybe I'm missing something? I'm looking for studies not articles.

Read it again, then, because you're clearly missing what I'm talking about. The ones I'm referring to are studies listed in scientific journals. They are not simply articles.

That aside, allow me to break down several things in grains that are cause unfavorable health conditions:

Lectins: A lot of things have lectins, and our body utilizes them to some extent. However, plant lectins in high concentrated amounts are also toxic and they are most concentrated in beans, cereal grains, some seeds and some nuts. So what can high levels of lectins do? Well, they can cause nutritional deficiencies, immune reactions,and gastrointestinal distress. Basically, they bind themselves to the lining of our stomach causing leptin resistance - which may very well lead to obesity among stomach issues.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20800693 (*Note that Abrin, mentioned in this study, is a plant lectin)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21255629 (*Note that this is actually a study trying to figure out if the lectin Ricin toxicity would aid in cancer treatments as it creates extreme oxidative stress and is a very potent cell and DNA killer - which might be okay for killing cancer cells, but imagine what it can also do to healthy cells)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21483776 (*Note that Concanavalin A is the plant lectin)

Phytates: These are basically phosphorus stores from bran (part of grains) and some seeds. They are indigestible and prevent the absorption of many nutrients. Since phytate is an antinutrient, it can cause nutritional deficiency.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21508424
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20150599
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18214018

And since it appears the negative effects of gluten (even on non-celiacs) has been addressed, I won't bother with it - unless you find that you still need more proof on the matter.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    http://indianapublicmedia.org/eartheats/fat-bad-thought/

Sounds like an interesting read. Let's all read it and discuss it. ;)
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I thought it was interesting that the article was written by a vegetarian!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

Agreed. Fruits, veggies and lean protein is the way to go, not fat free! Makes me sick when junk food companies label their stuff "fat free"
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    “For many people, low-fat diets are even worse than moderate or high-fat diets because they’re often high in carbohydrates from rapidly digested foods such as white flour, white rice, potatoes, refined snacks and sugary drinks.”

I wish the article would have explored the comparison between low-carb diets and low-fat diets that are higher in complex carbs as opposed to the examples above. It seemed to make the leap that if you're eating low-fat, you're automatically eating lots of white flour and sugar.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    “For many people, low-fat diets are even worse than moderate or high-fat diets because they’re often high in carbohydrates from rapidly digested foods such as white flour, white rice, potatoes, refined snacks and sugary drinks.”

I wish the article would have explored the comparison between low-carb diets and low-fat diets that are higher in complex carbs as opposed to the examples above. It seemed to make the leap that if you're eating low-fat, you're automatically eating lots of white flour and sugar.

Good point! But I still found the lack of evidence for any low fat diet being beneficial intriguing
  • undrznith
    undrznith Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I liked the article, but I actually like the articles at the end that are linked even better. They have more in depth information. I honestly do think that the nutritional studies are going in the right direction, but it is going to be a long and hard issue to get people to actually start taking it seriously.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options

Agreed. Fruits, veggies and lean protein is the way to go, not fat free! Makes me sick when junk food companies label their stuff "fat free"
    I know! My friend would eat gummy life savers because they were fat free. Yes, people, sugar is fat free!
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    QUOTE, QUOTE, QUOTE, QUOTE, QUOTE.......

Anyways, did anyone notice that this whole thing started from "Someone mentioned that the "Paleo diet"..." and "According to this person,.."

Just sayin.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    QUOTE, QUOTE, QUOTE, QUOTE, QUOTE.......

Anyways, did anyone notice that this whole thing started from "Someone mentioned that the "Paleo diet"..." and "According to this person,.."

Just sayin.

I have mentioned it several times now..............I was the one that made a comment on another thread about what was working for ME.

Now this whole debate has went on and on, evolved and on and on some more. This thread has evolved more in a short amount of time than we humans have in general.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Err, all those species around then are extinct... I'm just saying, if we evolved from creatures like this, then why is it all of the sudden different.

I'm not arguing that grains are steroids. I'm saying that unless you have an allergy, I don't see the reason why grains are bad for you. I eat grains all the time and for a good part of my life. Never had a problem with it. A lot of people as well do not have a problem with it.

All of a sudden? No no no...we've only been using grains as a dominant food source for 10,000 years. Homo-sapiens have been around for 200,000 years. Within these years, I don't doubt people got their hands on corn and oats, but they were not likely staples of their diet as they are in modern times.

Grains cause inflammation in the body. Persistently eating grains can lead to chronic inflammation, whether you notice it or not. This inflammation is linked to a host of ailments including heart disease, allergies, joint problems and so on. They also break down into glucose much more easily than most natural foods which can cause insulin surges which can also lead to other problems like diabetes. They're also loaded with lectins which do all sorts bad stuff - like binding to intestinal lining and causing leptin resistance.

Just because you do not plainly see an immediate problem does not mean your body is not suffering. Lots of people don't see any problems...until they end up with diabetes for some strange reason in their 40s or realize they have some clogged arteries in their 50s, or start developing digestive problems in their 60s. Yes, some people will be more greatly impacted than others, but that doesn't imply you aren't going to be even remotely affect in your lifetime but a high consumption of grains.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/

The article explains why grains are bad. It also links to a couple of actual scientific studies. I have some more scientific studies of my own lined up, but I'm far too tired to dig them up and go into detail with them. But don't worry, I'll put it on my to-do list and assuming my boyfriend doesn't arrive too early tomorrow, I'll do it tomorrow morning. If he arrives earlier than expected, I'll post them Monday morning.

Yes, my Doctor told me very similar information. She also said that other than heart disease, arthritis is the 2nd most cause of inflammation in the body.

For many years arthritis was thought to be caused due to the simple aging process. WRONG...........it is due to chronic inflammation in the body, mostly caused by grains.

My husband didn't believe me and had achiness and creaking in his left knee. I told him to not eat any grain products at all for 2 weeks and see if it clears up................well, he had no more achiness and was ready to start going to the gym with me.
  • annav007
    annav007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'd like to personally vouch for it - I've been doing it the last two weeks, and the pounds started coming off. As far as those scales that measures body fat/muscle/bone density, I've lost body fat, maintained muscle (haven't been weight training as much), and upped my bone density. I have the same energy I did before, and still enjoy coffee and bacon. I enjoy it, and it's easy to do, as well. Most of the fats that I've logged are from coconut oil, meat, eggs, nuts, and coconut milk. It's easy to at least get 50/40% fat - just stop buying lean meats and drizzle a little oil on after you cook. My size 10's are two inches too big, and I'm proud to say, my size 4's can now button up! Score for paleo.
  • borys12
    borys12 Posts: 98
    Options
    I am doing paleo / warrior / dietintermittent fasting combination for 1 week now. Feeling very well, for sure lighter, I'm not hungry at all. My workouts are fine. In this first week lost 2kg, and my first meal is about noon , and this is only a few vegs. The first standard meal is about 6pm - vegs, meat, coconut oil. Next and last meal is after workout or before bed.

Next very important healthy point. From the time of throwing away all crap, my psoriasis disappearing. And for years
    nothing helped me like just proper food.

That was my point, for me it works. I can't see why we people have to eat so much and so often.
    You may disagree, but I will follow it.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I dropped 4 lbs last week eating 60-70% DELICIOUS fat. I've been eating Paleo/Primal since January.
  • elcy
    elcy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Eskimos eat about 80% FAT daily and they are some of the healthiest people on this earth. They don't have the heart disease, Diabetes or other ailments that burden us Americans...............

They also have the largest brains.

Sources, please! I've NEVER heard that "eskimos" are the healthiest population with the biggest brains. In fact, calling someone an eskimo has NOTHING to do with regionality.

Seriously?? Try google or go to the library!
  • k12kyj
    Options
    Isn't it funny how most cattle in northern Europe are Grain fed now and all of a sudden the beef produced is high in bad fats ??
    Probably just coincidence that cows are becoming fat just like the population who eat the very same grains.
    IN fact , Has anyone noticed that grain fed caged poultry produce eggs which are high it omega 6 fats ( the bad kind of fat ) when their free range counterparts produce lovely eggs rich in omega 3 ??
    again , probably just coincidence .