WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2012

Options

Replies

• jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

The weather has finally turned warm here in the Albuquerque area. So, DD and I took the young dogs for a walk. They were "singing" for joy for the first 15 minutes until they settled down.

Mom turned 94 yesterday and old age is just starting to really show on her and she is starting to feel it too. We had a nice long facetime call with family from Minnisota, ordered out pizza and ate dinner with her and Dad. Hubby didn't come back there and join us and that is his issue.

While I am not at the weight on my ticker yet, I did finally drop 1 pound of the 15 pounds I put back on. Another 3 pounds and I will match my ticker.

Just realized that since I can get Netflix on my pc and Ipad, that means I don't need the TV or the Wii to do exercise. Silly me!

Happy Sunday and Happy Spring to all,

Jeannie
  • yclayton
    yclayton Posts: 44
    Options
    happy sunday ladies!
    i have been super crazy busy the last few days....unexpected overnight guest, may fave sil, on thur night, then friday working like crazy on barn catch up, having a friends 2 kids over to play on the pony and planning my sisters 50th bday party....she is surviving stage 4 breast cancer and is doing so well they call her sort of in 'remission', except the drs say they will never SAY remission of stage 4, but....close enough! then on sat down to the lake to celebrate my brothers new lake house. lots of bad weather, wind, rain (4 inches in 2 days), hail, etc yesterday and today. our pastures are flooded and our trainer is frustrated by the weather b/c we can not ride or work on this squishy ground.
    missed so much on posts...so

good job to all that are feeling good and looking good!

hang in there for those who feel they are not quite getting it right now!

sending lots of prayers and white light to those you are sick, injured or down (including joyces horse)!

the next couple of weeks are going to be busy for me as well....this coming week hope to make it to charlotte to see a new friend, farrier is coming, lily is coming on friday for her second horse show on sat, then on sun we will meet her mom, dad, and bother luke at the zoo for an afternoon of fun, then both children will be coming back home with me for a week! lots of planning to do, menus for the kids, easter projects for us to try, pony riding, etc.

i took the pony out to trail ride this week on wednesday, as it had rained alot and trainer wanted an advance notice of the trail condition before she took out one of the really green horses to work on trailing....got down to the creek which is usually only about knee high on me when i am wading....yikes! it was running high and fast. we started to cross, but when i got all four of thunderbolts feet in the water, about 1 length in, the water was up over my knees while mounted! thunder was not impressed, and as the creek does get deeper towards the middle, we just decided not to cross on that day. i was afraid that if he lost balance, or stepped in a hole, we would be swept downstream! it has been many years since that creek has been that high. we used to take our larger horses swimming across it, but htey were used to it, and had much more milage on them, plus it didnt used to run so fast. so....looks like no trials for a feew days til it calms down. arena is flooded too so no riding today!
    havent done great on my calories, or my exercise either, but so far the scale isnt telling....it isnt going down, but not up either so i will take it. muscles are feeling 'itchy' to work out!
    another storm blowing in about now, first day in weeks it has had a bit of a chill in the air (and by that i mean not 80- degrees!)
    gotta run feed and clean before it starts hailing again.
    hope everyone has a good week!
    yvonne
  • vickimieth
    vickimieth Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, and thanks to barbiecat for pointing me in this direction...

My name is Vicki, and although I haven't posted here before, I've been on MFP since just before the New Year. I'm a nurse (Infection Preventionist, among other things), at a state hospital here in Arizona - and I've had weight problems my whole life. Partially metabolic, and partially (mostly) because I eat when I'm unhappy... a lot, and all the wrong things. I *love* food.

I wanted to come out of hiding (so to speak) now that I've got a little success going. Today is hard, because I recalculated my calorie numbers & lost 110 calories I can have a day. EEK! Medical problems (arthritis, asthma, & fibrimyalgia) make a lot of exercises difficult to impossible for me, so this is going to be a challenge.

Thanks for adding me to your group!
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The show was awesome last night. I laughed so hard last night I am actually sore this morning. If you don't know Jeff Dunham you should look him up on Utube. We didn't get home until after one in the morning. I haven't stayed up that late in ages.

Now today it is off to Daddy's birthday. I am glad he quit traveling long enough to have a birthday at home. So far this year he has been to south africa, florida, the panama canal, then they just went to palm springs to celebrate their 5 year meeting anniversary and they visited freinds in california and Arizona. I am so thankful that he has the means and the stamina to enjoy his senior years so much. I can only hope to be half as fortunate.

Have a great day ladies. And in the words of Peanut "Dat's good, dat's good, dat's GOOOD!
    How lucky I love Jeff :) would love to see him in person
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hi gals, just checking in again. Been off resting my back again, got to be a rule or something to the effect that when you get on a good roll something trips you up and then you scamble to get up again. Any hoo back to the basic exercises to ease the muscles into working order without stress on the spine. Weight has been going up again, guess I have been swelling up and not noticing too much. Too I love my soda crackers with a little soup. That is going off the shopping list for ever, rice crackers are better. Taking Syntha - 6 protein powder with Vege greens mix, helping with the vitamin- mineral boost at lunch and at bedtime to curve the hunger for morning. I feel much better for this mix. This weekend has flown by so fast, seems the hours are minutes, hope the next twelve days go just as fast.
    Back to very cool nights and days for a bit, our Maple Syrup production is suffering from the too mild temperatures. I'm not one for the stuff, but it is a Canadian thing, I hate to see Mamma Nature change that. Since though three-quarters of the national population is senior or getting very close, we do like to see less -40 and more -2 with no ice.
    Going to try to get some of my "kids" pictures on my profile, we have a new toy in the house and it spurred a party!

Take care all...

Marilyn
  • kilime50
    kilime50 Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi Ladies

Have been reading some of the posts and you all sound so connected and motivated!! Room for one more? I am new on here, just 5 days in and looking for somewhere to connect. I am going to be 51 tomorrow and I need to get a handle on my life and weight. I have been logging my food for the last few days and started walking further every day.
  • dlpappas
    dlpappas Posts: 14
    Options
    Hello ladies.
    Just joined MFP yesterday and really need some help. Hope this works, and I'm going to give it my all. As you all know, the older we get the harder it is to lose weight, but now I have medical challenges to add to it! I was diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica, have been on prednisone for a year now and have gained about 30 lbs during that time. That's over and above the 25 lbs I needed to lose before that!

Don't know if any of you have been on steroids, but for me I'm hungry all the time and if I try to ignore it I feel lightheaded and sick to my stomach. I talked to a nutritionist who said not to ignore the hunger and eat little 100-cal snacks. She also said that the results of anything I try - dieting, exercise - won't show up for about 6 weeks! How depressing is that! For a couple of weeks I tried real hard, lost 3 lbs, felt motivated, and the next week gained those 3 lbs back PLUS another one! All of this - weight gain, pain, puffiness - is making me frustrated and disgusted with myself. :cry: The good news is that the dosage is about half what it was in the beginning, so maybe the side effects won't be as bad now. I saw my doctor the other day. Of course she was very unhappy with my weight increasing every time I see her. She's the one who suggested MFP! I see her again in 6 months and want so badly to lose SOMETHING by then!! If any of you have any experience with prednisone and have any tricks to lose weight while on it, I'm all ears! :smile:

Best wishes to all of you in your pursuit of your goals, and congrats to those who are have such great successes. Loved reading your posts and look forward to being part of the group.

Diane
  • brunsda
    brunsda Posts: 78
    Options
    Marking my place. I will check in with you tomorrow.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Today is my birthday and I am 66, an age I never expected to see. I feel better, happier, and healthier today than I felt at many times when I was a lot younger. I give a lot of credit to what I learned from all my friends on MFP and the encouragement and support I’ve gotten to challenge myself to be stronger and more fit.

:flowerforyou: Realpure, I never thought I’d be able to use anything heavier than 5 pound weights but consistently doing weight training three days a week was what got me using heavier ones.

:flowerforyou: Jb, I loved hearing about your planting. We had a small farm in NW California for five years and I loved the planting and the great vegetables we had for our use and to sell at the farmers’ market……your post makes me nostalgic for those days….best wishes for continued success with your weight training….if you stick with it, you’ll surprise yourself before long with the additional weight you will be able to handle.

:flowerforyou: Frogmama, chicken noodle soup sounds delicious

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, how great that your mom is still around at age 94

:flowerforyou: Vicki, welcome. I’m glad you found us……..as you are figuring out what kind of exercise you can do, always remember “if you’re moving, you’re losing” so even if you’re not doing all the fancy mega-calorie burning exercise, just getting out of your chair is a step in the right direction.

:flowerforyou: Marilyn, I loved what you said about taking soda crackers off your shopping list forever……I have a lot of foods that are not allowed in my house.

:flowerforyou: Kilime, we definitely have room for you……I hope you will check in daily and let us get to know you.

:flowerforyou: Diane, I’m glad you’ve joined us……..never, never, never give up…….you’ll find solutions that will work for you….make changes a little bit at a time.

:bigsmile: We are doing an Isagenix cleanse day today……low calorie cleansing beverage four times during the day plus some special snacks (all chocolate flavored:bigsmile: ) and lots of water…….it makes for a good rest day. I slept late, walked the dogs, and have been doing some “no brainer” chores like laundry and picking up pine cones in the yard. We watch TV and hang around with the dogs until an early bedtime.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where it was 33 degrees this morning and sunny all day
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    happy birthday barbie!.
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies

Have been reading some of the posts and you all sound so connected and motivated!! Room for one more? I am new on here, just 5 days in and looking for somewhere to connect. I am going to be 51 tomorrow and I need to get a handle on my life and weight. I have been logging my food for the last few days and started walking further every day.
    happy birthday
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Barbie
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Today is my birthday and I am 66, an age I never expected to see. I feel better, happier, and healthier today than I felt at many times when I was a lot younger. I give a lot of credit to what I learned from all my friends on MFP and the encouragement and support I’ve gotten to challenge myself to be stronger and more fit.

happy birthday, barbie,....you are an inspiration to me....thanks for all your suggestions and recommendations.....hope you had a great day.....:flowerforyou:
  • kckramp
    kckramp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well its official I gained 1.2 pounds, I am planning on it coming off this week.
    When Cocoa and I walked today the skys opened up and poured on us. We survived, just a bit on the soggy side.
    Happy Birthday Barbie.
    Virgina glad you are back, sorry to hear about the your biking accident.
    Hope everyone has a great week.
    KC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Today it was chilly so I stayed inside and cut down two more tablecloths. Two more to go and I'm finished (for now, that is...until I find some more tablecloths on sale cheap).

Barbie - congrats on the great choices at the lunch. I'm not crazy about breads or desserts, either. That is...unless dessert is a piece of fruit....which it usually isn't. Today it was chilly so I stayed inside and cut down two more tablecloths. Two more to go and I'm finished (for now, that is...until I find some more tablecloths on sale cheap).

Barbie - congrats on the great choices at the lunch. I'm not crazy about breads or desserts, either. That is...unless dessert is a piece of fruit....which it usually isn't.
    happy, happy birthday. May you have many many more!

realpure - let me know what you thought of "Hunger Game". I've heard mixed reviews about it. Of course, everyone around here (NC) is going "Hunger Game" crazy. Have a great time, and don't forget to take your own snacks!!!

jb - my aunt and uncle lived in onion country. If you go to the store, you'll find that most of the onions were grown in Pine Island, NY which is where they were. My uncle and cousins used to work in the onion fields. hmmm...radishes...haven't had those in a while. Thanks for suggesting them to me again. Whenever I do lateral arm raises, I don't use more than 5lb weights because anything more and I lose my form. Guess those delts just aren't as strong as the anterior and posterior ones.

Did an hour of balance games on the Wii today. Wish sometimes that each segment was longer. Tomorrow I'll do a bit of yoga and then take the extremepump class.

Yvonne - that's awesome about your sister!

I can't believe how Easter has snuck up on me! Went to buy cards for the kids (thought I had more time to send Bryan his, but oh well) Bought two Dove solid easter bunnies to put in Jessica's basket and another one (she may give it to Zac, or to someone else). By the time I was done, I paid $1.54 for both of them. Unfortunaely, the card store is close on Sundays. I was thinking that maybe they would be open since the store in the mall closed and it was open on Sundays, but no dice.

Vickie - welcome! And thanks barbiecat for pointing her here. Keep posting, we're all here for you.

Why is it that it seems so very easy to put the weight on, but it seems to take FOREVER for it to come off???

kilime - welcome! You'll get to that Great Wall! And we'll all be there with you, even if it is just in spirit!

diane - welcome! Fortunately, I haven't had any need for any experience with predisone. But I'll be keeping my eyes open

Say, I know people on this board have a Wii. Does anyone have the game "fit in Six"? I bought it but now am wondering if it's worth the money

Well, going to watch "Desperate Housewives" and then get to bed (I tTiVo it so that I can fast forward thru the commercials)

Michele
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARBIE:flowerforyou:
  • kilime50
    Options

• kilime50
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Barbie and thank you for the warm welcome.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Barbie! You continue to inspire.

Have been MIA and no way can catch up on the posts but had to announce today is day 1 of Strong Women Stay Young ('nother Barbie inspiration). My Chiro advised against the Overhead press, but did the other 7. Was surprised at how hard some were, and delighted at how others were so "easy" I had to add more weight for the second set. Can feel it already, good thing 2 days off between sessions is recommended... ;)

Cloudy but warm today so dragged my lazy butt outside and messed about in the raised beds. Planted carrots, beets, turnips, lettuce, mustards, arugula, easter egg and watermelon radish. Seed is all more than a year old so we'll have to see what comes up ;) Will check at the Co-op for pea seed (both snow and shelling), too late to order. Also need to find (and till) an out of the way corner for a parsnip bed. Love those parsnips, grilled on the Foreman. Yumm.

After skipping 8 days of mat work, finally got back down on it yesterday, but not today. Tomorrow for sure!

Loved all the NSV's related to bra size. Expect back pain to reduce as the burden does :)
    Hugs to ALL,
    animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the AHMOD who WILL be size 10 one day
    March: get down on that mat EVERY day. Average 10K steps/day. Let it be. Really.
    2012: dance more, bark less and CHECK IN!!!
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies,
    happy happy birthday to barbie. i hope your day is special. only barbie would do a cleanse on her birthday. good fir you. forgive the typing . typing with one hand cause holding byron with other hand, recorded weight this morn and measured. weight is coming off slow but lost lots of inches. got a lot of exercise yesterday. went to gym in morn then walked to daughters house to eat crawfish. then walked home, then walked for hour with kenneth and heather to oractice for a 5k we r doing sat, so tired. ate leftover soup fir sup then bed. have a great day ladfies'
    vickim