In place of a road map!

Options

Replies

• 6kate2
    6kate2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump. A lot to read and process, hopefully I will manage!!
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info! :)
  • aotto87
    aotto87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    My main confusion in calculating TDEE and the deficit is whether or not to eat my exercise calories back. I have a sedentry lifestyle (desk job) but work out four times a week.

If my BMR is 1500 my TDEE is 1800 at sedentry and 2100 for more active. I would think at sedentry I would eat them back but not if I've already calculated them into my TDEE, is that right?

So if I ate 1800 cals a day and didn't eat any exercise calories back (about 350/session) would that create a big enough deficit for weight loss? Or should I create a 20% deficit from that number and eat all the exercise cals? I would think eating at 2100 there would be no deficit at all?

I understand the concept - it's just all the possibilities I find so confusing!

If you read the chart on the results page it says the amount of workouts.
    4 workouts=Moderate activity.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    You are saying I can visit several websites, wear out the batteries in my calculator, and do it your way
    OR
    I can follow MFP's way.
    I've lost 33 #, reached my goal in November 2011, and have maintained since then.
    I'm sure you mean well, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you don't like MFP's way, build your own site.
    Thanks anyway.

Congratz on your weight loss!!

But...

Haters to the left!
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    bumping.
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    This is saying I should be eating 2466 to LOSE weight.....I've eaten that many calories in a day and I either maintain or gain. Maybe one formula doesn't work for everyone?
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    This is saying I should be eating 2466 to LOSE weight.....I've eaten that many calories in a day and I either maintain or gain. Maybe one formula doesn't work for everyone?

That seems a bit high but we don't know your BMR or TDEE.

Chances are that it over estimated your TDEE.

A good rule of thumb is 20-15% under your TDEE for fat loss and keeping Fats and Protein at 30%. So you may just have to figure out your spot that fits your goals.
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

A good rule of thumb is 20-15% under your TDEE for fat loss and keeping Fats and Protein at 30%. So you may just have to figure out your spot that fits your goals.

Well I put in my stats: 35 y.o., current weight 228.8 lbs., BF% 38.3, and I tried to put my ultimate goal weight as 155, but it gave me a warning message that I would be eating below my current BMR if I did that and suggested an intermediate goal. So I put in 180 and it gave me a BMR of 1754. I exercise 5-6 days/week, but I looked at the "moderate" category and it said 2466.

So if I use 2466 and subtract 20% of that, I'd get 1973....is that a better number to use? I thought the idea of the website and the chart is that you don't have to alter anything on it.
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Well I put in my stats: 35 y.o., current weight 228.8 lbs., BF% 38.3, and I tried to put my ultimate goal weight as 155, but it gave me a warning message that I would be eating below my current BMR if I did that and suggested an intermediate goal. So I put in 180 and it gave me a BMR of 1754. I exercise 5-6 days/week, but I looked at the "moderate" category and it said 2466.

So if I use 2466 and subtract 20% of that, I'd get 1973....is that a better number to use? I thought the idea of the website and the chart is that you don't have to alter anything on it.

The formula is base on your age/gender and lean muscle mass vs fat% but not everyone has the same metabolism obviously.
    1973-2100 would be a better idea in my opinion but like I said you have to adjust it to how it fits your goals. However, it's NEVER a good idea to go below your BMR like it suggested.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

The formula is base on your age/gender and lean muscle mass vs fat% but not everyone has the same metabolism obviously.
    1973-2100 would be a better idea in my opinion but like I said you have to adjust it to how it fits your goals. However, it's NEVER a good idea to go below your BMR like it suggested.

Also remember if you bump cals up you'll have water weight for a few days.
    A gain isn't really a gain because of that.
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    saving to read til I get it!
  • Behl9
    Behl9 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Ok so I did the calculations on the fat2fit site. It says:

Katch-McArdle BMR -- 1336
    And then gives me the 5 levels of activity. Since I work out 5X per week for 30mins (since January) it seems I should be looking at the moderately active? I just do 30mins light cardio (started C25K a couple weeks ago, then do the stationary bike the other 2 days, burn about 200cals per workout).

If so, it says I should be eating around 2200 per day. 1750 for sedentary, 2000 for lightly active.

The Harris-Benedict BMR calculation says 1832.

I'm confused, lol. I went from 1290 to 1420 this week, but it appears I need to go even higher, to at least 1700 and then eat my exercise cals back?

Thank you to anyone who would be willing to help me out, I appreciate it :) I have 85lbs left to lose, so I want to learn how to do this right now, so I can be in the right place as I get down to my goal.

:flowerforyou:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Also remember if you bump cals up you'll have water weight for a few days.
    A gain isn't really a gain because of that.

I bumped up my cals 2wks ago, small loss on the first week, HUGE gain this week. Huge 2.8kg.

I know it's water weight (I also had DOMS)... but I understand how people freak out and yell "I upped my calories and gained, I have to eat 1,200."

I'm tracking my weight each week for a month, and then adjusting my calories up or down depending on the outcome, as I understand these are all estimates including the number of calories that we consume.

I prefer the number of calories I'm eating now, compared to the 1,200 I got when I first started out, so I hope that 2.8kg comes back off again next week!
  • craig1970
    craig1970 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TopazCarey
    TopazCarey Posts: 263
    Options
    bump