In place of a road map!

Options

Replies

• Spence_
    Spence_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    That first military thing said I had 12.2% body fat percentage.. I don't thinnnnk so :/

Where abouts are you supposed to measure your waist? Narrowest part? Or near the belly button?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I have only been here a short time (85 days) and it is very confusing to me-I have tried it with higher calories and lower calories and the only way I seem to drop even 1 lb is through the lower calorie way. I just can't wrap my head around eating more calories to lose weight, isn't that how most of us gained the weight to begin with? I exercise a lot and I am trying to eat as healthy as I can but some of the stubborn weight is just refusing to leave!

It's not about eating more then you need, it's about eating more than your BMR.

if you are eating below your maintenance calories you will still lose weight, but it's all a matter of percentages.
    TDEE - 15/20% will give a safe loss, TDEE - 50% won't, so it's all about knowing your energy requirements.
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Good post. I thought I wasn't eating enough, and weight loss has been stagnant for a couple of weeks...Upping my cals a few hundred starting today. It will be nice, too, not trying to figure out how many calories I burned on the arc trainer. :laugh:

Thanks for making it a bit easier to wrap my head around the concept. I'm sure my stomach will thank you too! :drinker:
  • anndunkley
    anndunkley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump :-)
  • cattracy0829
    cattracy0829 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    BUMP - Thanks for posting.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    That first military thing said I had 12.2% body fat percentage.. I don't thinnnnk so :/

Where abouts are you supposed to measure your waist? Narrowest part? Or near the belly button?

1 inch below the belly button!
    =D
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I have only been here a short time (85 days) and it is very confusing to me-I have tried it with higher calories and lower calories and the only way I seem to drop even 1 lb is through the lower calorie way. I just can't wrap my head around eating more calories to lose weight, isn't that how most of us gained the weight to begin with? I exercise a lot and I am trying to eat as healthy as I can but some of the stubborn weight is just refusing to leave!

Where are you on your journey?
    How tall are you?
    Weight?
    Body Fat%?
    How often do you work out?
  • ZabrinaB
    ZabrinaB Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thank you Dan for taking the time to post this information!

Even though you ran my numbers and I have found success eating this way, I still like to read about the hows and whys to reaffirm what I'm doing!

You are EXTRAORDINARY! Thank you again!
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Saving for later! Thanks Dan!
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options

=D

ooooooh I did it at the narrowest part/1 inch ABOVE belly button.... (got 26.6)

then I did the inch below and got 29.9 :noway:

(I also did the "original body fat calculator" and got 26.2, and they even specify 'Waist measurement (at the naval)')
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options

=D

ooooooh I did it at the narrowest part/1 inch ABOVE belly button.... (got 26.6)

then I did the inch below and got 29.9 :noway:

(I also did the "original body fat calculator" and got 26.2, and they even specify 'Waist measurement (at the naval)')

According to the OP's post: The Military BF calc is accurate up to about 2%.

You are most likely in the 26% zone. I also did a different BF calculation and got different results from the military BF.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've had some success raising my caloric intake after weeks of no movement. I'm going to take an even closer look though after reading this.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    bump
  • poison_masquerade
    Options
    Bump
  • justfungrandma
    justfungrandma Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am going to give this a try!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am still lost. If I set my goal on here as TDEE amounts indicated with what you posted, it has me only losing .30 per week.