You are a Runner, NOT a Jogger!

Options

Replies

• callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I went on a beer run last night. I felt very good about myself.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    thank you for this. Runners rock.
  • amikad
    amikad Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that comment...I am just starting out running and starting at a slow pace, but i am beginning to enjoy it now that i know it doesn't have to be a full on sprint...
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Saving to read later! Thanks!
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Excellent. Slap in the face that I needed after my 6 year old and I just got back from a walk and intermittent run, I told her she was running and I was just hobbling due to my knee and I kept saying now I'm going to jog. But your right it is running, even if I look funny doing it at 250 pounds. Thanks, I needed that.
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    that is wonderful!!!! i'm a runner!!!!! three words i never thought i'd say
  • dslynn8
    dslynn8 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm a Runner!!
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I didn't get this feeling of being a runner until Saturday during my 5k. I was looking around at all the seasoned runners becoming nervous. I had the proper attire and looked like "a runner", but I felt like I was an intruder and simply playing dress up. My close friend who runs 3-5 miles every other day was getting pumped up for the race ahead of us and gave me some great advice, "it doesn't matter how quick you make it across the finish line, but that you simply finished. Roughly 70% of this nation would never have the determination to do what you are doing today. So turn up your jams and lets kill this!" It made me feel great. I took my place in the middle of the group while he took a place up front, and prepared my music and runkeeper app. I looked all around me and realized, finally I may have became apart of something great. The clock on the time starts and the bell rings. We all take off at our own paces and I prepare for my biggest accomplishment yet. I hit my first mile and I am under 3 minutes for my goal. I am ahead of where I want to be. I kept up my pace for the second mile and allowed myself a slow comfortable jog for the last bit. As I was making my way to the finish line becoming 92nd out of 300 runners, I had that feeling of I am finally a runner and apart of this close knit community. A community that not only runs for themselves and to stay fit, but a community that runs for others. This race was dedicated to the American Cancer Society. I want to thank them for not only looking for a cure for Cancer, but allowing me to be apart of this community and giving me the chance to show that I too, am an accomplished runner.
  • shellsie_j
    shellsie_j Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    I didn't get this feeling of being a runner until Saturday during my 5k. I was looking around at all the seasoned runners becoming nervous. I had the proper attire and looked like "a runner", but I felt like I was an intruder and simply playing dress up. My close friend who runs 3-5 miles every other day was getting pumped up for the race ahead of us and gave me some great advice, "it doesn't matter how quick you make it across the finish line, but that you simply finished. Roughly 70% of this nation would never have the determination to do what you are doing today. So turn up your jams and lets kill this!" It made me feel great. I took my place in the middle of the group while he took a place up front, and prepared my music and runkeeper app. I looked all around me and realized, finally I may have became apart of something great. The clock on the time starts and the bell rings. We all take off at our own paces and I prepare for my biggest accomplishment yet. I hit my first mile and I am under 3 minutes for my goal. I am ahead of where I want to be. I kept up my pace for the second mile and allowed myself a slow comfortable jog for the last bit. As I was making my way to the finish line becoming 92nd out of 300 runners, I had that feeling of I am finally a runner and apart of this close knit community. A community that not only runs for themselves and to stay fit, but a community that runs for others. This race was dedicated to the American Cancer Society. I want to thank them for not only looking for a cure for Cancer, but allowing me to be apart of this community and giving me the chance to show that I too, am an accomplished runner.

Great Post!! And congratulations on your Run!! This was inspiring to read!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,273 Member
    Options
    It used to be jogger wasn't a derogatory term. It is true that in the last few years there does seem to be a bigger thing about being a runner. I like this post. I have been transitioning into seeing myself as a runner. I even have a blog about the day I was running in the middle of winter in an icy rain. As I got half way around the lake I passed another runner going in the opposite direction. He was the real runner. I was surprised when he said hi to me in a comraderie way. I realized he recognized me as a real runner. That cold winter morning he and I were among the very few out there running. Now could you tell MFP I am a runner. Everytime I log my run it says I was walking very briskly.
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Great post thanks for sharing :-)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS!! I have been saying i was jogging because i didn't feel like 5-5.5mph was running, but I guess it is!! :) Thanks!!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I never thought about it this way - just never saw my slowness as running. Thank you for posting this!
  • bloodlesscoup
    bloodlesscoup Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree totally! The last race I did, I started off SO slow (to conserve my energy and I was weary of the pain I've been feeling in my shins) that I was keeping pace with power walkers for the first mile. But I never ONCE thought I was "just jogging." OWN YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS!
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for sharing. I too am a runner. At least we are lapping the people on the couch right?
  • dorkynerd
    dorkynerd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I needed to hear this. Thank you.
  • geeksrule
    geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    What a great post! I'm a runner too!!!
  • edgehn
    edgehn Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    wow i so needed this. i run/walk in intervals.. and i never say im a runner because i feel like im not running the whole time, but i love this! really made my day!