Guide: Properly lose BODY FAT % (For Women)!

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    In response to the question above - you should probably be somewhere around 2,200 but then re-look at your BMR when you have lost a few more lbs you should probably cut the deficit to nearer 500 calories (I.e the amount below your TDEE) when you have a little less to lose.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Check this link.
    It makes life much easier!

>>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ Do the Military Body Fat Calc first, then the BMR tool. The BMR tool will give exact calories to eat on a daily basis. Add 20% to this number to get your TDEE. For Fat loss plans set up macros at 30% Protein/Fat each.<<<<<<<
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Check this link.
    It makes life much easier!

>>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ Do the Military Body Fat Calc first, then the BMR tool. The BMR tool will give exact calories to eat on a daily basis. Add 20% to this number to get your TDEE. For Fat loss plans set up macros at 30% Protein/Fat each.<<<<<<<

Just tried it and it makes more sense than the regular BMR/TDEE and it would help a lot of people on here. You should create a thread about it if you haven't already.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    This link was the first one I used after my 2 whole days at 1200 cals.
    I love it!

I think I will start a thread on it now.

=D
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Seriously bro, eating are your bmr while burning that much daily is horrible advice. She burns as much as me in a day. She will lose muscle mass by eating that little. She needs to be eating 2400-2600 calories a day.

She already takes 1700 calories a day, I asked her if she was fine with that (which seems very low to me for what she posted) but your BMR and TDEE are both estimates based on a webpage; everyone has different metabolism rates...

1) Your age. Your metabolism may slow down about 5% per decade after age 40 if you are sedentary.
    2) Gender. Men generally burn more calories at rest than women.
    3) Your proportion of lean muscle mass to fat mass. The more lean muscle mass you have, the higher your metabolic rate will be.
    4) Heredity also plays a part in your body’s rate of metabolism.
    5) Thyroid problems may also cause your metabolism to slow down.
    http://www.thefitnesspersonals.com/blog/?p=167

I made a suggestion that she needs to up her calorie intake, HOW IS THAT BAD ADVICE? I told her it was ultimately her to decide and that her intake seemed very low to me at the moment.

Almost everything in fitness has to do with research because YOU have to decide what's good and bad for you, keep an open mind because what may work for me won't always work for you. RESEARCH RESEARCH and RESEARCH, it's not up to me to decide how many calories you need to take in and vice-versa,

Yes, I understand the variables in metabolic rates. I understand that your metabolism slows down when you age and it does that because your body loses muscle mass as you age. But TDEE is always TDEE. I don't have to exercise or have as active of a lifestyle to burn 3000 calories. And my BMR is 300 calories more than hers. But if she workouts out for 2 hours or has a very active lifestyle, it doesn't take away from the fact that our TDEE's are about the same. Which means, our caloric requirements are very similar.

Another thing you have to consider is creating large deficits is a equation to maintain body fat and not lean muscle mass. Its good that you said she should increase calories, as I agree, but to the extent is where I disagreed. It's still always better to take 20% off of TDEE (as you or dan noted on the next page). This applies to all ages. I have used this method with 18 year olds and 40 year old women with the same result. They cut body fat and didn't lose any lean muscle mass. A combination of adequate protein and heavy weight lifting along with a 20% reduction from TDEE is a successful key to losing fat and maintaining lean muscle mass. But burning 3000 calories and eat 2000, even if your BMR is 1700, is a key to maintain body fat and lose more muscle. That is what I was trying to say.
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Seriously bro, eating are your bmr while burning that much daily is horrible advice. She burns as much as me in a day. She will lose muscle mass by eating that little. She needs to be eating 2400-2600 calories a day.

She already takes 1700 calories a day, I asked her if she was fine with that (which seems very low to me for what she posted) but your BMR and TDEE are both estimates based on a webpage; everyone has different metabolism rates...

1) Your age. Your metabolism may slow down about 5% per decade after age 40 if you are sedentary.
    3) Your proportion of lean muscle mass to fat mass. The more lean muscle mass you have, the higher your metabolic rate will be.

I made a suggestion that she needs to up her calorie intake, HOW IS THAT BAD ADVICE? I told her it was ultimately her to decide and that her intake seemed very low to me at the moment.

Almost everything in fitness has to do with research because YOU have to decide what's good and bad for you, keep an open mind because what may work for me won't always work for you. RESEARCH RESEARCH and RESEARCH, it's not up to me to decide how many calories you need to take in and vice-versa,

Yes, I understand the variables in metabolic rates. I understand that your metabolism slows down when you age and it does that because your body loses muscle mass as you age. But TDEE is always TDEE. I don't have to exercise or have as active of a lifestyle to burn 3000 calories. And my BMR is 300 calories more than hers. But if she workouts out for 2 hours or has a very active lifestyle, it doesn't take away from the fact that our TDEE's are about the same. Which means, our caloric requirements are very similar.

Another thing you have to consider is creating large deficits is a equation to maintain body fat and not lean muscle mass. Its good that you said she should increase calories, as I agree, but to the extent is where I disagreed. It's still always better to take 20% off of TDEE (as you or dan noted on the next page). This applies to all ages. I have used this method with 18 year olds and 40 year old women with the same result. They cut body fat and didn't lose any lean muscle mass. A combination of adequate protein and heavy weight lifting along with a 20% reduction from TDEE is a successful key to losing fat and maintaining lean muscle mass. But burning 3000 calories and eat 2000, even if your BMR is 1700, is a key to maintain body fat and lose more muscle. That is what I was trying to say.

You're right, I agree with you 100%.

However, with TDEE you HAVE to exercise the way you set it up. So If you calculated with 0 days of exercising - you have to take calories off from the days you did and if you calculated with 5 days of exercising - you CANNOT just skip a day...you have to be consistent with both your diet (caloric intake) and activity.

That's the only problem with TDEE.
  • kaitlynnme
    kaitlynnme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
  • MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Saving to read later :flowerforyou:
  • kaitlynnme
    kaitlynnme Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I would like to add that what psulemon has stated above helped me considerably. I think he may have posted a quote from me somewhere in this thread. I had a hard time wrapping my head around the thought that eating more could help you lose. But he explained to me all that he has shared here and I started applying it to my lifestyle. When I first increased my calories I gained weight. I was at a point were I was so frustrated and it could have been so easy to give up and decrease my calories because that is what made sense in my head. But I stuck it out. It took probably a good 6 months for my body to trust that I was going to feed it and so that it would start letting go of my fat. I was not overweight by the number on the scale but I was completely skinny fat and felt miserable. I began to lift heavy, eat really clean with 40/40/20 ratios and eventually added in hiit a few times a week. In a matter of 12 weeks, I went from 154 at 28% to 153 at 24%. I really couldn't believe it. During those 12 weeks I was frustrated with the number on the scale because it wasn't moving. But this goes to show that it is not all about the number. I think the biggest lesson for me was not to give up. It takes time. For some it might take a few weeks for some it may take months but don't give up because your success may be just around the corner and you don't want to give up just before you get there. I will retest my body fat in another 8 weeks or so and am hoping for more fat loss. If not, then I will reassess, change things up and keep going.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    This is the reason most FAT people give up. You are making it too difficult.

PLEASE NEXT TIME YOU TITLE THIS FOR WOMEN USE FEMALE EXAMPLES. Women are totally different, we have different needs and our bodies work differently!! This is more harmful than good!!!

1. Eat healthy. Fresh fruit. Fresh Veggies. Limit Oils/Fats/Sweets. Eat lean meats/remove skin.
    2. Portion your food. Use your hand/palm as a guide. Most restaurants will give you a double portion. When I eat out I eat half or a third.
    3. Exercise. Opt for higher output to longer lengths. 15 minutes at high intensity is way better than 1 hour low intensity.
    4. Believe in yourself. Tell yourself I CAN instead of saying i CANT

Do not focus on numbers focus on your effort. Effort will get you there.

Listen to your own body, push when you can -- stop when you cant go further.

Focus on good fuel (not just calories) stop eating junk food or prepared foods.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    tigerpalm.jpg

Sigh...

An "overdose of carbs" that would "readily be stored as fat" would typically have to be around 800 grams a day. The only thing cutting carbs does is shift water weight around by reducing glycogen stores. It has absolutely nothing to do with fat loss.

You might want to spend more time researching medical journals, and less time researching a bodybuilding forum.

I dont reaserch medical journals but my cloths dont lie and when I eat under 80 carbs a day and those carbs are coming from fruits vegitables and nuts my belly looks a heck of a lot different than it does when i eat carbs.. so to each there own

So what are your suggestions? Help us out.
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    Thanks!
  • psuLemon
    Options

You're right, I agree with you 100%.

However, with TDEE you HAVE to exercise the way you set it up. So If you calculated with 0 days of exercising - you have to take calories off from the days you did and if you calculated with 5 days of exercising - you CANNOT just skip a day...you have to be consistent with both your diet (caloric intake) and activity.

That's the only problem with TDEE.

This is why I always suggest calculating TDEE over a weeks span and include exercise into your TDEE. This is what I do and what I do with all the people that ask for advice. Weight loss isn't a daily activity so you can't treat it like one.
  • bns1990
    bns1990 Posts: 2
    Options
    How do I calculate my BMR and TDEE?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    This is the reason most FAT people give up. You are making it too difficult.

PLEASE NEXT TIME YOU TITLE THIS FOR WOMEN USE FEMALE EXAMPLES. Women are totally different, we have different needs and our bodies work differently!! This is more harmful than good!!!

1. Eat healthy. Fresh fruit. Fresh Veggies. Limit Oils/Fats/Sweets. Eat lean meats/remove skin.
    2. Portion your food. Use your hand/palm as a guide. Most restaurants will give you a double portion. When I eat out I eat half or a third.
    3. Exercise. Opt for higher output to longer lengths. 15 minutes at high intensity is way better than 1 hour low intensity.
    4. Believe in yourself. Tell yourself I CAN instead of saying i CANT

Do not focus on numbers focus on your effort. Effort will get you there.

Listen to your own body, push when you can -- stop when you cant go further.

Focus on good fuel (not just calories) stop eating junk food or prepared foods.

Women are NOT different than men when it comes to weight loss or burning fat. The are only medical variables. We all have a metabolic rate, we all have a TDEE and a deficit is the item that makes us lose. If you have an intolerance to carbs or a thyroid issue, then you have to make minor tweaks. I have seen women lose on less than 100g of carbs or over 200g of carbs.

From personal experience with working with hundreds of people on here, if you do heavy weight lifting, eat below your TDEE by 20% and have moderate macro's of carbs/protein/fats, it is a recipe for success. I have used the same techniques with men with the same success. The biggest variables with women is mental blocks. Men don't have as many issues as working with higher calories but women fear food (in many cases).

If you can explain to me how women are different, I would be willing to change my view, but I haven't seen any data that suggest they are.

ps- the only difference is men typically have greater lean muscle mass, but you account for that in your metabolic rate.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    How do I calculate my BMR and TDEE?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • apretz1
    apretz1 Posts: 18
    Options
    bump
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options