40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,959 Member
    Options
    I (re-)injured myself, yesterday, Becky....so, I know EXACTLY about the "wince" part. OUCH!!

In late august last year, I pulled something that affected my neck, upper back and shoulder on my left-side. 2 days of immobility, followed by 7 days of chiropracty and then 3 times a week for about 3 weeks. Intense.

This time, the pull isn't as bad....but, sleeping was horrible last night. I think I'll just work through it with Advil and stretching.

BUT, I'm also 100% determined NOT to stop my work-outs....coming off this vacation has already hurt my progress too much. I can still easily work-out my lower body - I'm kind of worried about how to tailor my upper-body work-outs. But, I'm a smart girl and I'll figure it out.

There's lote of runners showing up here.....I'm jealous since we got another 10 cm of snow last night!!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You are such an inspiration Beeps. Here I am not exercising for two days because of some sore muscles. But, I really think that I over used them during the weight class. I was really concentrating on working my core and I think that I over tightened them at that time. I am so sorry about your pain. I just about always have upper back, neck problems due to stress. Try turning your neck from one side to the other and then bend it to each side as if you are trying to touch your shoulder with your ear.

I'm 42 and I still can out sprint my U14 Girls soccer team, "old people rule, kids drool!" YES !!!!!!!
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    Beeps I had hurt my lower back a few years ago, I found that playing soccer had helped out quite a bit, I guess the running, stretching and loosening of the muscles helped.

Do you have a rowing machine at your gym that may help that upper neck area.

I like to think the more I move and keep my muscles going the better off I am, muscles are meant to be used, not sit in a chair.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hello All...47 in May. Fairly new to the boards, but not new to weight loss. Have one son all grown up and now I get to focus on myself and my husband.

I love Zumba, Just go a pair of Jazz shoes (highly recommend!) and they are great. Very easy on the knee joint when dancing to Zumba.

I have lost over 55 pounds since July of 2011, (not doing MFP), but working with my doctor on a diet he specializes in.

I have an exercise ball I sit on in front of the TV or Computer so I can pulse, wriggle, and roll my hips, thighs, and core. It has really helped a lot!

I just got back from the store. Needed new bras because the old one were sagging on me. I was so excited to be able to buy from Victoria's Secret! The demi bras are great! Gals, doesn't it feel so good to have a new bra! It really is the little things like that which make losing weight/inches so worth it!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Swissmiss - I think concentrating on "working core" is key. (It is for me, anyway.) The more often, whether exercising or throughout the day, I just suck in my core, the more support my lower back has. Since this is a trouble area for me, I *do* spend an inordinate amount of time focused on this.

Mellow, we do have rowing machines. I just did a bent-over BB row today, and it was fine. The only exercise I ended up modifying was the one-armed DB snatch. I just did back squats, instead. And, I was fine!

Congrats on the weight-loss, LPC - that's a BIG DEAL and you should congratulate yourself!

One of the things I do, at the end of every work-out now, is ROLLING. When I started, I had to use the softest, spongiest roller they had. But, I have progressed and I'm onto a pretty solid one. It is AMAZING what a difference it has made to my IT band.

Who knew??
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm heading to the gym for some light cardio and some MAJOR stretching time. THAT is what I notice the most about being over 40 - I have to devote WAY more time to stretching than I ever did in my 20's and 30's.

Anyway....my new challenge for this week (and ongoing) is to focus more strictly on the nutrition piece. I kind of went off the rails in Hawaii and I certainly haven't come back into the "strictness" that I had prior to the trip. I feel better when I eat better - this I know. Now, I have to have some mental fortitude to just "do it".

First tough challenge will be NO snacking as I head into the premiere of "mad men", tonight, lol.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Welcome LPCoder. Congratulations on your weight loss thus far.

Beeps, you are so right about stretching! I am so, so bad when it comes to my stretching. While doing P90X, the x-stretch and yoga helped. I need to make those 2 workouts part of my weekly workouts while I'm marathon training, I just don't. The odd time I do them, I feel so good, and wonder why I don't do them more often!!
    Just like the eating - I too feel better when I eat better, but then i eat junk. UGH! I eat healthy foods, and through in some junk. If I kept that out, I'd be where I want to be...just need to do it as well!

I did my long run today. First have was good, second half not so much. Have been having some issues with pain on the bottom of my feet. Some runs, no pain, other days, extreme pain. Not sure what it is.

Have a great night all!
    Silvana
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Silvana, I am no doctor but I do suffer from a condition with the bottom of my left foot. I have trouble pronoucing the problem and certainly can not spell it. Try stretching our your food before putting any weight on it.

:flowerforyou: Beeps, I don't see any problem with relaxing your routine while on vacation. You will get back to it soon. Core work is my favorite. I love it when the instructor has us do that. It is always at the end of the session. Spinning also works the core. So, I am thinking that the combination of the two is what has my back acting up. My chiropractor could barely get my back to move. He says my spine seems to be locked up. He wants to see me again this week.

:flowerforyou: LPCoder, welcome to the thread. I have to agree with you on the jazz shoes for Zumba. That is what I wear also. Most people wear regular workout shoes. But, with those, I can't get a feel of the floor. One girl in my class even wore toner shoes. I don't know how she could dance in them.:noway:

MellowGa. you are so right about stretching out the muscles. And, that just may be contributing to my achy back. I don't do enough stretching.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I've got an ongoing foot problem, too Silvana. For me, though, when I REALLY use the foot (i.e. a long cardio session), it's totally fine DURING the session. But, then, about an hour or two afterward (and for the remainder of the day), I'm nearly limping the pain is that bad. I'm wearing my orthotics day, night, and all the time. No barefeet, ever. Still, it's been 5 months and I'm sick of it. (yes, I've been to the doctor - she says plantar fasciaitis; yes, I've been to the physio therapist - she's given me exercises, which I faithfully do, and no relief). I'm fine with just "living with it" at this point - it's been 5 months. But, I'm worried that it may be putting stress on other joints (hip, knee) unnecessarily - and THAT is why I want it to go away!

swissmiss - weird that your chiro could barely help!! My chiro is a dream-dude who can make anything better. Mind you, I'm not going to him for this particular injury - just waiting it out. I did sleep better last night and didn't start feeling the "throb" until about 5 am.

Today is a weight-lifting day. Yay!
  • mary127
    mary127 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone,

After a busy weekend helping with moving son home for spring break, daughter's drumline comp, chili cookoff @ church, visiting homebound in-laws, etc etc, it felt great to get out and jog this morning. Rained all last night and this morning was beautiful out (just in time!) :smile: Eating was also thrown off a bit this weekend and will be a little challenging while my son is home this week but I'm going to enjoy & do the best I can.

Beeps and swisswmiss, hope your aches & pains are getting better. There always seems to be something going on with me too, but some days I can tolerate it more than others. Today my knees decided to be kind to me rather than hate me :laugh:

Welsome Saintsfan, sharon & LPCoder. LP, I also LOVE zumba...my Wed morning class always puts me in a good mood and I'm better at handling whatever comes my way that day. I should look into jazz shoes. Any particular brand or website good to check out?

Have a great week everyone
    :flowerforyou:
  • LPCoder
    Options
    Mary123: (LP or LPC is fine **giggle**) I have Capezio's Canvass top. I like the support this particular model has. I found that there is no twisting of the knee joint. You need to order a half size up. Thank you for your friend request.

Beeps & Swissmiss: I hope your struggles with your bodies get better. I used to get heel pain and once I lost weight, it went away. I can now wear heels without problems to either foot or back.

sdereski: Thank you for your welcome.
  • quiltbugj
    quiltbugj Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I'm 48 years old, with two married daughters and 1 1/3 grand-kids! (newest due in Oct 2012) My passion is Kettlebells. I hired an RKC certified trainer last June and love my workouts. I've gained 20 pounds since Thanksgiving because you can't out-train the amount of junk I've been eating! I actually eat and cook healthy - it's the binging on "cookies, cakes and candies" that is my undoing! Several years ago I lost 25 pounds, gained it all back.

Glad to be here and thanks for all of your inspirational posts!
  • Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi all! 40 ++ here. 2 more weeks then the big FIVE O. Figured if I couldn't win at fighting age at least I can fight my fat. 11 lbs down since holidays, 6 here at MFP. Love to check in on ppl my age!
  • LPCoder
    Options
    Welcome Agefyter! Great job on the weight loss!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Despite my "injury", I made it through my weight-training just fine. I didn't even have to alter anything...which was unexpectedly AWESOME! And, I just found out my company is doing a "fitness challenge" as part of the "corporate challenge"...so, I am IN LOVE with this idea!!

I think the BIGGEST detractor from my success is the LACK of real-life accountability. So, with work-mates around me shaping up during the next weeks, this will help me A LOT.

Tomorrow at lunch is the meet-and-greet - so I have to sacrifice my cardio work-out to see what it's all about...but, I'm willing to do that for the greater good!

I'll fill you in when I know a little bit more about it.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Beeps, I am so glad for you. My company also has weight loss challenges going most of the time. Love it when a business is concerned with the employee's health.

:flowerforyou: Agefyter, I have to agree. That is a wonderful loss.

quiltbugj, welcome. Stick with us and you should see the pounds leaving.

I was rather good yesterday. Ate well and got in 2 hours of exercising. Hope today goes like yesterday.:bigsmile:
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    Hi all - just turned 47 last month and decided to change my lifestyle. Out with junk food and in with healthy food (not that I ate a whole lot of junk/processed food anyway) and portion control. I'm a chocoholic and have found that I haven't been craving it. Am doing strength training 3 times/week and Couch to 5K training the other days. My goal is to run my first 5K in October. Have lost 14 lbs so far and will be tagging this thread to get some ideas :happy:
  • dawnblu
    dawnblu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Howdy! 42 for a few more months... from Indiana. Hoping to lose at least 22 more lbs to hit a healthy BMI... lost 8 so far. I love to eat so now I work out in order to eat more. I started water aerobics in January at our new YMCA. It's addictive and very easy on the joints. We go three times per week for a 60 min workout... I don't mind working out but hate to sweat so the water is great!

I have hip and back issues so for now walking and water aerobics are my mainstays. I'd like to do more and as the weight comes off, I feel better. My blood pressure has leveled out and I'm looking forward to my annual physical to see if I can get off the maintenance meds.

Planning our third annual trip to WV in May to go White Water Rafting and Gravity Zip Lines... love adventure more in my 40's than I ever did before. I'm sure as I get more fit I'll want to more and can't wait for the rush! The 40's rule!! :wink:
  • LPCoder
    Options
    Welcome dawnblu! I love rafting! I love canoeing/kayaking even more. I go up to the boundry waters when I can (which is not nearly enough!) Good luck with your weight loss!

Hi JSheehy! doing a 5K by October is a very attainable goal. I love hazelnut with my chocolate!

I work with a doctor on my weight loss, and just came off of a 20 lb drop. Now my doctor wants me to maintain the weight for 3 months, then I will do another 20 pound drop. This is the third time I have done it this way and it is working well for me. It keeps my body guessing, and in the maintenance phase, I learn how to eat really well, with tasty whole foods, fruits and vegetables. It is not the losing part that has always given me trouble, but the living after that messes me up! LOL!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I think you are correct, LPC, that "maintenance" is often the hardest part of the journey. (I haven't struggled with my weight, but for my friends/acquaintances who have, this seems to be their anecdotal evidence, as well.)

I'm having a crap day at work. That's all I'm going to say about that.

dawn - ziplines scare the crap outta me....but, my husband is an adrenalin junkie - so he's into all that stuff. We have ziplines through mountain-tops where I come from!

JSheehy - congrats on making smart(er) choices - it all starts right there!

swissmiss - 2 hours of exercise sounds very impressive - good for you!