WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2012

Options

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Today I am soooo sore from all the laughing from Saturday. I can't believe how much my I hurt. It was an absolutely wonderful weekend and I am motivated to have a great week.

Have a great day ladies,

Robin, Bodi boy and Ritter bit.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Well - A new week and back to school for me. :happy:

DH, J'boy and I had a great time over the weekend. There was a little fitness room at the hotel and I got my 5K in on Saturday, then celebrated the day with rich food and fine wine. Celebrated all weekend, in fact. :love: I do enjoy spending time with my dear man.

:ohwell: I shall now draw a line, firmly under the month of March to date and begin anew.

Guess what? No? I found my wallet! :happy: I pulled open the drawer on the dining room side of the kitchen eating/work bar when I was setting the table last night and there it was! It must have been pushed across the counter into the open drawer, the drawer was shut and poof! wallet gone until the next time I used the place mats to set the table. I've replaced most of the important cards but it's nice to the mystery solved.

No time to respond to individual posts this morning, I am not back in the habit of getting up early yet. The alarms are ringing in the bedrooms and we'll soon be on the road to work.

Happy, happy springtime. :flowerforyou:

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

Who will follow all the rules today!
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Belated Happy Birthday, Barbie! I missed that yesterday, because I only looked at MFP on my iPhone, and the iPhone MFP app doesn't show discussions.

You inspire us all! (Cheering!!!!!)

I sit at a computer more hours per day than I like at work, and it's nice on the weekends to avoid that thing.

I woke up this morning thinking about which exercises I wanted to do first when I got out of bed. I do believe I have become addicted to exercise. That's a good thing, isn't it?

Barbara, that's a pretty awesome raised bed vegetable garden.I would have never thought of cooking parsnips on a Foreman grill. Do you use any particular spices for that?

Nancy, my son did the same thing with his wallet on Christmas Day. He had moved his car from indoor parking to metered space in front of his apartment building while he ran upstairs to get an armload of gifts. When he got back downstairs, his car window was broken. He assumed he must have left his wallet in the car after he took out his card when exiting the lot. He canceled all the cards in his wallet and ordered a new driver's license, and then .... a week later he stuck his hand in the pocket of the jacket he'd worn on Christmas Day, and there was his wallet.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Barbie!

The people who administer the benefits at my old company are so incompetent. First they cancelled my health insurance even though I'd paid my bill on time. Then I called and they said they'd reinstate them and call me when it was done and send me a new certificate of coverage. But they didn't. I called again and they had reinstated them but not done the other stuff. But they never told the insurance company that I was reinstated. So they are starting to bounce my charges. I email them and tell them that I have coverage and to check with the benefits administrators. So they do. And those morons tell them that I DON'T have coverage.

So I call up again and I get the person who told them I didn't have coverage and I give him heck and he says he'll put in an urgent request to send my info over to the carrier. Well, it's been two business days and the carrier is still showing me as not having coverage and rejecting claims.

I'm going to give it one more day so that it's really exactly 48 hours (not counting the weekend) and I will call again.

This is so stressful and so frustrating.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I finally have a fun filled busy weekend. tonight we drive to the tacoma dome and see Jeff Dunham.:laugh: :laugh: He is soooo funny I can't wait. Then tomorrow is my father's 90 birthday party at a great seafood restaurant. This is a much needed break from the monotony. :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Happy Windy Monday All,

O hubby and I just love Jeff Dunham, we have most of his DVD's, a Peanut bobble head Doll and a Walter bobble head Doll as well as his book. We were able to see him last year and laughed all evening and all the way home:laugh:

Barbie happy belated Birthday:flowerforyou: only you would do a cleanse on your Birthday...you dedication really puts a lot of us to shame...and then inspires us to be bettter:happy:

Welcome to those of you that are new:flowerforyou: glad you found us.

Not really time to respond to everyone this morning as I got to work late due to an accident on the freeway:grumble:

Well once again my weekend wasn't what I wanted:angry: but was a bit better than past ones. One of these days I'm going to manage to string together 7 whole days in a row of eating right, drinking plenty, and logging it all with a dash of exercise:wink:

Son #3 & DIL came for dinner Friday night for hot tubbing and movie watching (watched the latest Clash of the Titans) then they spent the night. He took her to breakfast Saturday morning to celebrate their 5th Anniversay...I'm wondering where the time has gone it seems like it was yesterday that we were in Alabama with the family for their wedding. So much has happened since then:ohwell:

Son #2 spend last week in Dodge City KS with his Army Reserve Unit for his Spring break and he was pretty pleased with how they are coming together, I'm happy for him, just wish he'd have a full time place then I wouldn't worry about them so much:huh: I'm sure it's a Mom thing.

Yesterday hubby was "checking me out" and said he could see where my exercise and food watching is paying off:bigsmile: every bit of encouragement helps.

Everyone have a good day, let's keep moving, logging our food and drinking plenty of water:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • yclayton
    yclayton Posts: 44
    Options
    yikes what a couple days....yesterday i walked into the ladder to the attic and have a big ole knot on my forehead :grumble: ...and today jazz dumped me in the creek. :devil: last time i came off a horse was 10 years ago...thank goodness it was in the creek and the water broke my fall! but now my cell is drowned.:grumble: and i am going to be plenty sore....banged my bad knee...well actually both knees...so i am hobbling around a little, wanting to eat chocolate for comfort...but i think i will go take some ibuprofen and ice my knee...scared to wonder what tomorrow will bring! :ohwell:
  • kilime50
    kilime50 Posts: 37
    Options
    Evening ladies,

I want spring back, c.c.c.cold here today! I still did my walking but my hands were frozen. I even managed to do 3 sets of push ups today, first time in months.(years?)

The twins were so funny today, they got these cute little binoculars over the weekend and insisted on taking them with them when we went out to go to their friends house. They were bird watching! The birds were only 3 feet away and the kids kept taking the binoculars down to figure out where they were supposed to be looking!

Well, have to get going, meeting some of the girls for b'day drinks. Just how many calories are in a glass of scotch anyway...?

Why oh why can't water come with flavour? It would be so much easier to drink the 8 glasses!!!

Catch you tomorrow.

Jillian
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies...
    Happy Birthday a day late Barbie! You're amazing!

Well...my statement about feeling confident which usually leads to disaster was spot on...well not disaster, but definitely an eye-opener. So today back to minding my p's & q's & calories, downing my water, and 2 miles on the treadmill this evening. Tomorrow is WW weigh-in, and I really don't want to show a gain...which could be real possibility. Then a week from tomorrow is the final weigh-in for my Shedding Pounds for Hounds challenge. I REALLY need to be on my best behavior for the next week.

Just a quick check-in. Welcome new folks, you'll love this group!

MEG
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!Making slow progress with the knee .See the ortho dr tomorrow.
    If you pray,please pray for my good friend who is having her kidney removed because of a tumor.
    Have a good night!!
    HUGS
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    I'm back after most of 3 weeks gallivanting - to the Bay Area to help celebrate my dad's 90th (along with 50 or so others of his immediate family). We had a great slide show of his life. Lots of fun to watch, especially for those of us who were there for most of it. The grands might not have been as entranced but, altogether, it was a wonderful tribute to him.

Then I went up to Reno with my two DGD's in tow to visit my niece, get to know her 17-month old - she's a real cutie - and visit with my sister who came down from Winnemucca. After that, we all went to the family cabin at Lake Tahoe where I actually sledded (just 3 runs but still). Lots of fun but, whew, I'm glad to be back.

Barbie, you are so dear to me. I hope you had the happiest of birthdays. You have done a great job. The biggest victory is keeping it off. That's got to be the best birthday present of all.

Take care everyone. It's so nice to be here.

Mimi SVQ
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Barbie...so sorry my greeting is late!

It's been a rough few days. I think I have a pinched nerve in my neck--pain, like a toothache is going down my arm. It subsides and aleve helps but I feel grouchy and naseous. I have an appt with a chiropractor on April 4th. I am frustrated with getting my exercise in and not aggrevating my shoulder/neck/arm. Being on the computer was very uncomfortable...that is a first!!

I will be back.
    Sally
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Evening is here. DH is off to practice with his barbershop quartet and J’boy has disappeared the way teen agers do, after they are fed. I have time to pick up the threads of our MFP conversations. I am watching the clock too, in fact I am going to pause here and set the timer. No more than ½ an hour at the computer without a break.

On Saturday I slipped away from DH for half an hour in a shopping mall (:happy: ) and got a great deal on my favorite perfume, Tresor, from Lancome. A tiny bit of retail therapy. We spent a great deal of time in hardware stores, filling up the cart and the card with the supplies we need for the basement renovation. DH seems to enjoy having me with him, even though I don't really understand all the talk about pex cable, and gfi outlets and cement board :huh: . Life could be worse.

We visited a wine bar on Friday eve, live music and a lively crowd and went to a tapas restaurant for dinner on Saturday, so I got my fill of great food. :drinker:

Return to school was uninspired, but we’ll get back into the routine soon enough. All those grade 7 boys seem to have grown another six or eight inches in the two weeks since I've seen them. :noway: Sheesh. I am almost the shortest person in the class - but I'll always be older and I'll always be smarter - at least that's what I say to them when they start to loom over me.

MacMadame, I am sure you totally rock geekdom! :wink: I had to look up “Magic, the Kingdom” to know what you were talking about. Too bad you can’t use the magic to beat the benefits battle game.

KC, you will get back on track. :flowerforyou: As Red Green says, "I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together."

Jipsy Judy your garden sounds lovely. We don’t have a garden, just things in pots, but our neighbours race the deer & raccoons and other critters for the harvest. One of the blessings of living in the country, I guess. :ohwell:

Salad Sistas: I made a yummy grilled salad yesterday and used the leftovers to make a Caesar salad today. :smile: Tomorrow it’s the rest of the poached salmon with something green and crunchy for lunch.

:happy: Congratulations on the G O A L frogmama! :flowerforyou:

Love you driver’s license story, Virginia, it’s got to feel fantastic not to be hiding anymore. :happy: I’m glad to read that you found the Bermuda shorts you were looking for.

Beth, glad to have you back. I was thinking of your posts about loosing your wallet while I was looking for mine. Did you ever find it?

Being awake in the middle of the night makes me crave toasted peanut butter sandwiches – with or without pickles. :huh: That’s one reason to go to bed early, no?

Kakie, “enjoying being out there with no need or desire to compete” – Oh yes! I feel that way on the ski hill too, and in other aspects of my own life. I think 50+ is the perfect age to really enjoy life! :love:

Barbie, I do lunges with weights in my hands as part of my regular workout. Squats with barbells --- but I sure don’t do 100 a day! You are inspiring.

JipsyJudy, I think I’m addicted to exercise too. I plan my days around it, and six months ago no one could have convinced me I’d be saying that out loud and seriously! :noway:

Take care of yourself, yclayton, that’s enough of falling off and falling over for one season.

Welcome back Mimi, so glad to hear you had a good trip.

Time to move! :wink: Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    :flowerforyou: Nancy, that’s a great story about finding your wallet….a few years ago Jake lost his wallet and after visiting all the stores he’d been in and checking all over the house, he got a new drivers’ license and credit cards and social security card and then found the wallet on the floor of his closet way back in the corner where it had apparently landed when it fell out his pants pocket when he hung them up.

:flowerforyou: Barbara, I hope you like the “Strong Women Stay Young” workout as much as I do

:flowerforyou: MacMadame, I feel for you in your frustration with your health benefits……I’ve been having a similar fight with my bank this week.

:laugh: :laugh: It took me awhile to figure out who Jeff Dunham is and then hubby reminded me and I started laughing immediately and went to watch a few of his videos on YouTube.

:flowerforyou: Laura, congrats on the great response from your hubby.

:flowerforyou: yclayton, best wishes for a speedy recovery from your injuries without the help of chocolate

:flowerforyou: Jillian, do you do full body pushups?

:flowerforyou: Mimi, I’m so glad to see you back and happy that you had a good trip, but I hope you won’t go anywhere else for awhile.

:flowerforyou: Sally, I’m sorry to hear about your neck and even sorrier to hear that the chiropractor can’t see you until next month

:flowerforyou: JipsyJudy and Nancy, I agree with you about being addicted to exercise. Today a young friend of mine who is training for a marathon said that she and her best friend are going to make shirts for the run that say “Running is my drug of choice”

:flowerforyou: On the subject of squats….I’ve been doing at least 100 a day for over 90 days. I do them in groups of 20 spaced out throughout the day, not all at once. I do them while I walk the dogs, brush my teeth, watch TV, fill water bottles with the PUR water filter. On weight training days I do some of them holding five pound weights or with five pound dumbbell raises or with ten pound dumbbells on my shoulders. Every day they get easier

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :heart: :heart: Thank you for all the great birthday wishes. Your friendship means so much to me.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where it has been raining most of the day.
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday, I told my DIL from the time she told me she was Pregnant that today would be Paisley's birthday, we will see if Grammie is correct.

Started the morning with 20 wall push ups 20 squats and some twists and stretches, Had date last nite and we had chinese so today lots of water to flush out the system. Going to try to get to book store tonite (if no baby) lol for Strong Women.

Drink your water Ladies
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday good news day! :bigsmile:

Always a good day, Tuesday is, due to the fact that the scale goes back down after being up a little from the weekend. Just when I think I've overcome my tendencies to overeat, a weekend comes prancing in and proves me wrong. :grumble: Not sure what it is that kicks in and says EAT MORE on weekend days. Subconciously congratulating myself for doing so well through the week? Could be. Silly thing, celebrating with food. But it's a concept quite deeply ingrained from childhood, eating just for the fun of it. My dear dad loved cookies and of course I was right there next to him with my paws in the cookie bag. I still have issues with sweets, once I start, well, you know what happens. :blushing:

:Barbie, happy belated! :flowerforyou: Hope your day was wonderful. You had a small farm and grew your veggies, oh how nice! Whereabouts in NW Cal were you? I spent many years there, Santa Rosa area, and Point Area, and even farther south in Santa Cruz and Salinas. I grew up in So Cal. My hubby and I both enjoy the heck out of gardening, we try to grow just about everything we can think of from asparagus and artichokes to edamame and eggplant. In the summer we're always busy roasting peppers and eggplant on the BBQ, which we freeze afterwards for use during the winter. We usually grow about 40 pepper plants, several varieties, make our own chili powder, and canned diced green chilies. I do a mountain of canning in late summer and fall.

Michele, how interesting your aunt and uncle working the onion fields. I'll tell you, growing them in NW Oregon is a challenge, but we've managed to have some excellent results in the past. Giant, beautiful bulbs that store for 6-8 months. The last 2 years, however, the cold spring temps caused 80%-90% of the crop to bolt, which meant no long-storage onions, and the mildew was horrific as well. I get so upset when a crop fails! :sad: I've had to chop pounds & pounds of onions for the freezer on years like that. Which is ok, I use them all year in cooking. Years ago when I helped an old-timer with his gardening in Montana, he told me, "'Taters and onions, all a feller needs." :laugh:

Yesterday's strength training went very well, using the ankle weights was no problemo. First thing I thought of this morning when I woke was that I forgot to do the lunges! :noway: I'll do those this morning, can't leave those lil babies out of the routine. :bigsmile: Push ups, though, ugh!! I did 8, took a rest, did 4 more, took a rest, then forced myself to do 3 more. Why are they so damned difficult! :explode: Geez I can't believe how weak my upper bod is. But it'll get better, I know. Maybe I should do 3 or 4 every morning with my other exercise routine.

Spent all day gardening in the sun yesterday, woohoo! Wearing a T shirt even, wow what a treat. My neighbor came out to say hello, said "You look great, Joanie, I hardly recognize you!" which of course put me on cloud nine and dissolved any leftover guilt I had about minor overindulgences on the weekend. :wink:

Sorry to hear a few of you have had accidents, ouch! :flowerforyou: Ice helps. I tripped and fell (hard!) last July, still have a sore shoulder. I found a bicycle helmet out on the street the other day, and thought gee, not a bad idea for me to wear a helmet when I start riding my bike, in case I fall down go boom. God forbid. But I'll take finding the helmet as a sign. If no one comes to claim it, I guess I'll give it a try.

Nancy, SO glad you found your wallet, yay! What a relief. Hope your week back to school goes well. We're on spring break here now :tongue: and I'm loving having a lighter schedule. I do have to teach a few make-up lessons this week.

Welcome to everyone new, and good day to all. Salad Sistas! Don't forget your dark, leafy greens. Ever looked at the potassium levels in a cup of swiss chard? :noway:

Peace and carrots,
    jb
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies- I read over your posts & was wondering if you're a "group" -I searched but could not find you all lised under "groups" . Of course I'm fairly new to this and definitely not super computer savvy. Wondering if you have room for one more over 50. I 'm a 56 year old mother of 3, no grands yet. Looking for support along this very difficult journey. Please let me know how I can find your posts again since you're not listed as a group. Wishing you all continued success. :flowerforyou:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Tuesday all!

MacMadame, so sorry you are having Insurance issues:grumble: hope they are resolved soon...me I just wish we had insurance...hubby no job..no insurance:sad:

yclayton- OUCH:flowerforyou: sorry to hear about your fall, hoping you aren't too sore.

Jillian- so were you able to find out how many calories are in scotch?:huh: :huh:

Jane - prayers for your friend:flowerforyou: glad you are doing so well with your PT.

Mimi- it's always good to see you back, it sounds like it was a wonderful trip. :glasses:

Sally- oh neck pain can be the worse there is, hoping it goes away soon:drinker:

Nancy- YEAH! the wallet is found!... BOO it was found after you replaced everything...doesn't it seem that when ever you lose something it's always after you replace what's been lost that you find it...seems to happen that way everytime:grumble:

jaks-we look forward to hearing when that baby arrives:love:

jb- I completely understand your weekend issues:sad: and then dealing with it on Monday and glad for Tuesday to see that you are back where you should be.....it seems like I always have the best of intentions on Friday and by Sunday I'm kicking myself...unfortunately it's not been enough because I just keep doing it:blushing:

Yesterday the winds were awful here and there are some fires in the foothills. Last night the house smelled like a campfire and we had to turn on the air conditioning to clear it up....this is NOT a good sign if we are having fires in March:noway: Our house is quite a ways away from the foothills where the fires are, about 45 minutes away, so we were quite surprised that it was that bad at our house. I just looked out my window and the trees are starting to move...so it may be another windy day, they are expecting 450 firefighters here today to help fight it too.

Today Hubby has volunteered to watch our youngest grandson while our DIL goes for her monthly OB/GYN appt. He was putting together a game plan, put up the kiddie gates to keep him in the family room & kitchen, pick up the dog food and anything else that he tends to get into and keep cheerios handy for snacks:laugh: :laugh: They ought to have a good time.

All of you doing the weights is quite inspiring....we do have free weights and a weight machine in our basement with all the other exercise equipment....I'm guessing I should get to doing some lifiting too...I used to do that years ago...so I know it's good for me...it's just getting started:blushing: :blushing:

Everyone have a good day, let's keep moving, logging the food and drinking all our water:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! Looking forward to our Spring Break........starts on Saturday! We are all ready for some unscheduled fun. Hoping to catch up on sleep and exercise every day.

Barbie: Happy Birthday! You are so inspiring and always bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for cheering us all on and proving that it is possible. Hope you had a lovely day!

Michele: The Hunger Games was good. It was fun to be with a group of teens to watch. I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much without their over the top excitement. I really liked the book. I'm one of those who rarely thinks the movie is as good as the book. Except with The Help! Which I LOVED both!

Nancy: So happy to hear you found your wallet!!

Mimi7grands: Welcome back! I've missed you! Your Dad must have been so thrilled with his birthday celebration. How wonderful to be with so much family to celebrate.

Welcome to all the new faces! Keep logging in and making good choices. I have not lost as much as I'd hoped by now, but I know I'm developing habits that will keep me healthy over the long haul.

It's getting warm enough most places to get moving outside which I always find so much eaiser to commit to. I'm not a gym person. I love the wind in my hair and the sun on my face. Good for the soul.

:drinker: Drink up!
  • JipsyJudy
    Options
    Hi ladies- I read over your posts & was wondering if you're a "group" -I searched but could not find you all lised under "groups" . Of course I'm fairly new to this and definitely not super computer savvy. Wondering if you have room for one more over 50. I 'm a 56 year old mother of 3, no grands yet. Looking for support along this very difficult journey. Please let me know how I can find your posts again since you're not listed as a group. Wishing you all continued success. :flowerforyou:

Welcome! This isn't a group, so the best way to make sure you can find it easily is to make a post (as you just did). Then it will appear whenever you click on "My Topics". When we get to the end of month (coming up) Barbie always posts a link to the new discussion she starts for the next month. Then you have to post something in the new discussion, so that one will also pop up in your "My Topics" list.
  • JipsyJudy
    Options
    Yesterday I was talking by phone with an old friend who told me the best unlost "lost item" story yet. She lost her Blackberry. She looked and looked and finally gave up a got a new one. About a week later, she pulled a cookbook down from a shelf in her kitchen and noticed that it had a bulge in it. There, in the middle of the cookbook, was her Blackberry. She realized that the night her Blackberry disappeared, she'd been cooking for visitors. She must have put her Blackberry down on the open cookbook, and then when she was rushing to clean up the kitchen, she closed the book with the Blackberry in it.

This same friend (another Barbara) also told me about a conference on health she recently attended where a speaker made the statement, "Sitting is the new smoking." I need to remember that one! At the conference she also learned about a "treadmill desk". Just Google that. You can build one yourself or order one from amazon.com for under $600. Apparently, if you walk just under 2 miles per hour, you can work as if you were sitting at a desk and you'll burn 150 calories per hour while you do that.