Paleo -- ur doin it wrong.

Options

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Meat intolerance or meat aversion? I've never heard of anyone that cannot consume meat, but know plenty personally that have serious health issues, and 2 that have almost died (quite literally, not being flowery for forum posting shock value) due to consumption of wheat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Meat intolerance or meat aversion? I've never heard of anyone that cannot consume meat, but know plenty personally that have serious health issues, and 2 that have almost died (quite literally, not being flowery for forum posting shock value) due to consumption of wheat.
    Thousands (probably millions) of people have meat intolerances. Do you honestly think every single vegan or vegetarian is doing it for ethical reasons, and not for health reasons?

People can be just as allergic to meat as any other food source.
  • Marll
    Options
    Thousands (probably millions) of people have meat intolerances. Do you honestly think every single vegan or vegetarian is doing it for ethical reasons, and not for health reasons?

Again, I've never actually heard of such as issue nor seen anything on actual meat/protein alleries. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but there seems to be a much higher likelyhood that someone would be allergic to grains or have other issues such as imflammation related to grains. I'd love to see some references to said meat intolerances, as I'm actually interested in learning more.

And while you generally come into these types of threads with a very combative tone, I'll answer your (likely rhetorical) question. I personally believe that most vegetarians and vegans eat the way they do because they have been told that it's better for their health, have ethical issues killing animals to eat them, been lured by a member of the opposite sex, or just like to feel superior and tell others how barbaric it is to kill for food. While many people that eat clean vegetarian diets do feel better, I think that's just as attributable to cutting out junk than not eating meat.

Do anti low carbers also go into the vegan/vegetarian threads and talk about "You're doing it wrong, it's all about calories in vs. calories out!" or "You know you shouldn't cut out food groups"? I've yet to see that happen, though when you're a vegan it's totally cool to cut out "food groups".
  • tigersword
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/357313-meat-and-a-protein-allergy/

As for examples of people who have one, Bryan Danielson, professional wrestler. He was basically forced to turn vegan after a constant skin rash and weakened immune system was caused by his body's inability to process meat proteins properly. He had just attributed it to constant wrestling and mat burns, but eventually a doctor diagnosed him and told him to eliminate all animal products.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Again, I've never actually heard of such as issue nor seen anything on actual meat/protein alleries. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but there seems to be a much higher likelyhood that someone would be allergic to grains or have other issues such as imflammation related to grains. I'd love to see some references to said meat intolerances, as I'm actually interested in learning more.

And while you generally come into these types of threads with a very combative tone, I'll answer your (likely rhetorical) question. I personally believe that most vegetarians and vegans eat the way they do because they have been told that it's better for their health, have ethical issues killing animals to eat them, been lured by a member of the opposite sex, or just like to feel superior and tell others how barbaric it is to kill for food. While many people that eat clean vegetarian diets do feel better, I think that's just as attributable to cutting out junk than not eating meat.

Do anti low carbers also go into the vegan/vegetarian threads and talk about "You're doing it wrong, it's all about calories in vs. calories out!" or "You know you shouldn't cut out food groups"? I've yet to see that happen, though when you're a vegan it's totally cool to cut out "food groups".

I agree.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this will go about as well as my thread on Paleo went and mine lasted 600+ comments before getting locked

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/522226-let-s-talk-about-the-paleo-diet

I prefer sticking hot needles in my eyes.

Going to go warm them up now.
  • Marll
    Options

As for examples of people who have one, Bryan Danielson, professional wrestler. He was basically forced to turn vegan after a constant skin rash and weakened immune system was caused by his body's inability to process meat proteins properly. He had just attributed it to constant wrestling and mat burns, but eventually a doctor diagnosed him and told him to eliminate all animal products.

Ok, so there are cases in which this exists, however in the same article you will see:

A meat allergy is an uncommon food allergy: Ninety percent of food allergies are related to soy, wheat, peanuts, fish, eggs, tree nuts and milk, according to MayoClinic.com. Uncommon food allergy....

Also:

Asthma and Immunology says that some people can form a meat allergy from certain carbohydrates and proteins found in some meat products. Notice the reference to MEAT PRODUCTS. They again reference carbohydrates in meat in the article, which is likely possible when you are eating processed meat products and not pure meat. I'd be willing to bet that you feed those same people a nice grass fed steak and not some processed stuff they'd probably not have the same reaction.

Further, has anyone looked at what passes for "meat" these days? Go to the store and pick up just about any packaged meat, even when it says something like "Breakfast sausage links" and see how much soy and wheat are in them. It's not only shocking, but practically criminal.
  • Judanjos
    Judanjos Posts: 87
    Options
    This is how I pretty much have to eat to lose weight. I can't really eat bread or pasta at all or I won't shed a Lb. Also, I have a low tolerance for pork and beef. Too much and I just get super nauseated and become a unwilling bullemic about 12 hours later. NO bueno. I have to stick to chicken, veggies, fruit and some potatoes and I lose like a boss :)

In other words I can not tolerate pork at all, whole, mixed, bacon...etc. And more than 2oz of real beef and I'm down for the count.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Some of our ancestors have been eating grains for far longer than others. This perhaps has something to do with how some groups of us does better long term on meat intensive diets than others (no doubt everyone can lose weight on a low/no carb diet; that's biology, and is not sustainable long-term).

While realizing that anecdote!=data, I'm resorting to anecdote. I'm from India. Our diets tend to lean vegetarian, very carb intensive. Food allergies and intolerences are practically unheard of. The immune system is a complex thing, and blaming grains (for instance) for allergies is extremely nearsighted.
  • jessiepilot
    Options
    You think Primal or Paleo is ridiculous or crazy? Then don't eat that way! These posts and the arguments about how bad or good these lifestyles are crack me up - to each their own and who cares what the next person is doing? It's all about finding what works for you. Primal has changed my life - my weight, my labs, my health, my energy - its what works for me, but if you think it's a fad or it doesn't work for you who cares?? To each their own!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression early humans were basically scavengers. More akin to say...goats or buzzards...than a fierce predator.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm disappointed by the distinct lack of vitriol towards the OP that the pro paleo folk normally have towards posters who dare question the superiority of their diet.

cd06051be57324e7452ee5806801548713eed8fc.jpeg
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tigersword
    Options

Ok, so there are cases in which this exists, however in the same article you will see:

A meat allergy is an uncommon food allergy: Ninety percent of food allergies are related to soy, wheat, peanuts, fish, eggs, tree nuts and milk, according to MayoClinic.com. Uncommon food allergy....

Also:

Asthma and Immunology says that some people can form a meat allergy from certain carbohydrates and proteins found in some meat products. Notice the reference to MEAT PRODUCTS. They again reference carbohydrates in meat in the article, which is likely possible when you are eating processed meat products and not pure meat. I'd be willing to bet that you feed those same people a nice grass fed steak and not some processed stuff they'd probably not have the same reaction.

Further, has anyone looked at what passes for "meat" these days? Go to the store and pick up just about any packaged meat, even when it says something like "Breakfast sausage links" and see how much soy and wheat are in them. It's not only shocking, but practically criminal.
    So you choose to ignore the word protein to focus on the word carbohydrate? Even wheat allergies are PROTEIN allergies, not carbohydrate allergies.
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Throwing my two cents in here.

At least for me, I would burn out on a Paleo diet.

If you can stick with it, and you are happy, why not.
  • mikedhatz
    mikedhatz Posts: 15
    Options
    Speaking from my experience, with little-to-no change in my lifestyle (meaning no increased exercise) I managed to lose 8 pounds in the first two months by switching to a Paleo/Primal food diet. I didn't stick with it, because I got deployed and eating paleo is difficult when you're in the Sand Box, but there was a lot that I noticed when I switched.

1) Increased energy with less grogginess in the morning

2) Less feelings of cravings, like I wasn't getting hungry as quickly, and when I was I was a lot more satisfied with a piece of fruit

3) The aforementioned weight loss

4) Less crankiness when I was hungry

5) Better overall health, in terms of immune response (I didn't get sick at all for the entire 6 months that I was on it)

6) As soon as I went back to the former lack-of-diet the weight came RIGHT back on.

So for me, this diet is ideal. I don't know if it is for everyone, but I like it!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The biggest take away for me from the paleo diet is not having meat based meals. For cavemen, if you shot a deer, you got meat that night. If you didn't (which they often didn't) you didn't. They wouldn't have had meat three meals a day like we do. I generally try to keep two of my three meals a day meatless, since it just seems healthier to me, plus it encourages me to eat more fruits and vegetables. I think the emphasis paleo places on fruits and vegetables is great too.

I guess I just don't see a need to eliminate dairy or grain. Both are healthy in moderation and when you eat the right kind, so I don't see a need to eliminate them.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I agree with the OP in that just because we were eating certain things ages ago, that doesn't mean we were designed to eat just those things. We ate those things because that's all there was to eat. I believe the human body was designed to eat just about anything. Moderation is the key. I don't believe in any diet that excludes whole categories of foods. And by "category" I don't mean fast or processed foods.
  • amyhollar
    amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You think Primal or Paleo is ridiculous or crazy? Then don't eat that way! These posts and the arguments about how bad or good these lifestyles are crack me up - to each their own and who cares what the next person is doing? It's all about finding what works for you. Primal has changed my life - my weight, my labs, my health, my energy - its what works for me, but if you think it's a fad or it doesn't work for you who cares?? To each their own!

Some of us care because we are deeply disturbed by the billions of animals that are dying to feed people who *PREFER* (notice I didn't use the word "NEED") to eat this way. Not to mention the massive environmental harm the meat industry is causing to the planet we all have to share, even those of us who want nothing to do with it. The idea that what you personally prefer to eat (animal flesh) is something that shouldn't bother the rest of us compassionate citizens of this planet is absurd. It affects everyone!
  • amyhollar
    amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It also cracks me up how many of you seem to think you know EXACTLY what "cavemen" were eating. The Paleolithic period was a massive time period, and we know very, very little about it.