How much weight did you lose before you bought new clothes?

Options

Replies

• acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    At 15lbs, I needed new shirts, 20lbs, I needed new pants. By 30lbs, I basically needed a new wardrobe. My pants were falling off. I'm down two pants sizes and almost two shirt sizes at 45lbs. So, I'm getting a few items, but not going nuts. I have a very small wardrobe right now.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have dropped 4 dress sizes (still about 2-3 to go) so I had to buy new clothes!!

I tend to buy cheap clothes from charity shops, or from peacocks / primark so I don't mind throwing them away when they don't fit anymore
  • Karren188
    Karren188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This sounds crazy, but I bought some new clothes at the start of my diet. I had been putting off buying new things because I kept thinking "I'm going on that diet, and it will be a waste of money". I am just getting started, but the new outfits, new underwear and bras are making me feel better about myself and more positive about my weight loss possibilities. I told myself this would be the last time I buy this size and it was definitely worth the investment. I say buying new outfits all throughout the journey can help you transition smoothly, and can also offset the cost of buying a whole bunch of clothes, vs. a few transitional outfits to carry you to the next milestone.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I've been buying new clothes all the way along, and now have a wardrobe full of size 10-14 clothes as opposed to the size 18-22 I had when I first started out.

I keep clothes for several months after they no longer fit because I like to at least try to get my wear out of them, but then I will take them to my local charity shop. I'm starting to buy more clothes now, as I am getting to the point where I'll be at my goal weight soon!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24lbs total, and I've had to buy some pants (mine were literally falling off). I've also purchased some short sleeve shirts for the warmer weather, since I didn't have many to start with. But, I've been buying everything on clearance since I don't expect to be able to wear it long. I have another 36lbs to get to my goal.
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    My first goal was to lose 25 lbs by April 1st, (ultimate goal is to lose 50 lbs) and I've reached my goal...a little early actually...and just went shopping this past weekend. I bought 3 shirts and a dress..and I'm SO not a dress person. My jeans are falling off of me, but I wear a belt for now, and will buy shorts by next shopping trip.
  • shell514
    shell514 Posts: 12
    Options
    Just to keep up your motivation, I'd buy myself an inexpensive outfit or 2 for the interim. Getting into a smaller size even if only 1 size smaller has a way of being very motivating. I lost 9 lbs and bought myself a new work out outift. It made me feel way thinner than I am and got my butt off the couch and onto the road to run. I also have an extensive wardrobe of stuff I have outgrown that I am hoping will become new again soon. Good luck and keep up the good work!
    :happy:
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have to buy clothes to look professional at work. However, I find that wearing skirts is awesome. Pants and dresses can look baggy and sloppy, but skirts can be belted and a bit more forgiving. I also shop at thrift stores a bunch!
  • lme0627
    lme0627 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well I started buying "new" clothes after about 15lbs down. But by "new" I mean new to me but I am a big thirft store shopper and this is great way to buy clothes while still losing weight and not spending a lot of money on items that hopefully will not fit in a few months. I go to thrift stores, yard sales, swap with freinds, and shop on Craigs List and eBay.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've made the mistake of buying new clothes along the whole way going from 14 to buying 12s to buying 10s to now 8s.

I bought sooooooo many cute clothes last summer that I hardly wore (as we don't get much of a summer here) and now they are too big :(
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 100 lbs. I didn't buy new clothes, at first, until I had dropped 50 lbs, and gone from a 20/22 to a 16. I quickly discovered that skirts/dresses lasted me longer than jeans, even though I'd rather wear jeans. When I got into a 14 I bought a few of those loose fitting maxi dresses, and a pair of stretch jeans in black and in denim - those lasted awhile until the waist was ridiculously big.

I'm not sure if you have to have a working wardrobe or not, but for me, just a black skirt with a few pullover type dressy blouses and the dresses got me through two or three sizes. I didn't want to spend any big money until I was at my goal weight.

I'm in between an 8 and a 10 now and unfortunately spent alot of $$ on size 10 skirts, pants and jeans that are now too big. More because I am weight training and dropping inches vs. actual movement on the scale. So I am being careful again about what I buy, especially on the bottom! Tops are easy - a size medium is pretty universal - and so is a size medium dress, depending on the style of it.

Good luck and congrats on your loss so far!
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have lost 17 and went down a size, so I bought some new clothes. I won't need to buy much when I go down in size anymore, I have plenty of clothes in a size 6-8.

I was pregnant and in maternity clothes, so I bypassed size 10 completely. I had to get some capris the other day, since my size 12's were baggy.
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I shop spring and fall most years. This spring I bought in new sizes (happy dance) but it equaled out at about 25 pounds but I only had 35 to lose so 25 was 4 pant sizes for me.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 100 lbs. I didn't buy new clothes, at first, until I had dropped 50 lbs, and gone from a 20/22 to a 16. I quickly discovered that skirts/dresses lasted me longer than jeans, even though I'd rather wear jeans. When I got into a 14 I bought a few of those loose fitting maxi dresses, and a pair of stretch jeans in black and in denim - those lasted awhile until the waist was ridiculously big.

I'm not sure if you have to have a working wardrobe or not, but for me, just a black skirt with a few pullover type dressy blouses and the dresses got me through two or three sizes. I didn't want to spend any big money until I was at my goal weight.

I'm in between an 8 and a 10 now and unfortunately spent alot of $$ on size 10 skirts, pants and jeans that are now too big. More because I am weight training and dropping inches vs. actual movement on the scale. So I am being careful again about what I buy, especially on the bottom! Tops are easy - a size medium is pretty universal - and so is a size medium dress, depending on the style of it.

Good luck and congrats on your loss so far!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    well let's see, I lost 70lbs during my pregnancy, and after I had her I had to get a few clothing items, but then shortly gained 25.5lbs back and was able to wear some of my bigger clothes again. Since September of 2011, I've lost 65.5lbs and I wore my old clothes as long as I could before I started buying anything, I waited till my pants wouldn't stay up. I lost about 40lbs before I bought anything new. I didn't really start buying things until right at Christmas time and after Christmas. I bought my first new top in November the day before Thanksgiving so I could wear something nice to Thanksgiving dinner and not look sloppy. Now I'm addicted to shopping. I enjoy moving down in pant sizes and trying new sizes on lol.
  • Sjvarley123
    Sjvarley123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    ive lost 21lbs to date ( 7lb on mfp) and had to buy new workout pants ( trousers) when i had to hang onto the waistband through my zumba class to stop them falling off!!

Ive bought new jeans along the way as my old ones looked like pyjamas, and have had so many people notice my loss since i have had trousers that fit!

Apart from that ive been getting the odd thing on ebay and raiding my wardrobe where i have clothes in a selection of sizes :blushing:

I suspect i'll be wearing some strange outfits come summer as some of these clothes i havent fitted into for over 10 years! dont want to buy much though til ive reached my goal
  • htrl877
    htrl877 Posts: 49
    Options
    i bought two dresses the other day (lost 33 lbs) and they fit just a little bit tight. That way when i reach my goal weight they'll fit :)
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have worked a deal out with the owner of the consignment shop - of course that was when I was gaining weight, but now that I am losing she has offered to work a trade (with a small fee) if I bring her back my bigger sizes! see if you can work a deal with the owner! my lady is always especially gratefull for my work clothes - dress pants, nice tops etc as those bigger sizes seem to be the hardest for her to come by. Lately i have discovered that skirts (with elastic i can pull tighter and re-pin), cardigans and t-shirts seem to last thru the most size changes.
  • Jaloth
    Jaloth Posts: 28
    Options
    I lost about 15 pounds before I bought new things!! It was because I had too!! Buy clothes on sale and that way you will not feel so bad when you have to downsize again!! I Have to buy new clothes next month because I am going away and have nothing to wear so My mother in law is buying me somethings and by that time I am hoping to be down by 25 pounds ( that is total)!!! I have a freind that says that buying a new shirt or jeans at every ten pounds lost can be a reward!! Just go buy clothes that are on sale and you feel even better then you do now!!
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I actually went and got some of my larger work pants tailored. I have BIG hips and a big booty (lol) so finding pants that cinch in at the waist is always difficult for me anyways.