Asians trying to lose weight

Options

Replies

• Hopelessbird
    Options
    I am an "Americanized" asian - asian face but American size. I have bigger frame, hands, shoes (size 9 American), boobs, hips and bootay. I have been one of the tallest person in my family since I was 11 years old.

Some cannot tell I am asian, I have been mistaken as Indian, Filipino, Mexican and Brazilian. I look like a generic brown person.

I was just reading your post. "generic brown person" I love when we all can speak about race openly. This is an interesting thread. Thanks for letting me read.

Great for "what are you game"; bad for air travel. My record for getting frisked is 4 in CDG (at checkin, while looking for my gate, at the gate and in the tube/tunnel thing 2feet away from the plane).
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :wink: I am not asian ...but if any of my friends or relies... tell me about my weight ..and they are chubby themselves , i just say in a nice way ...Hey what mirror you looking in ? I shore would like to borrow it ? And laugh it off ...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Then again i am 64 yrs old ...so i dont have to respect my elders as much as young ones do ..:smile:
    My inlaws use to give me heaps about my weight ...but now as they are older ...i tell them about all the wrinkles they have ...maybe put a little weight on to smooth things out and they dont like it ( chuckle ) ...or i point out that gravity hasnt been kind to you over the years ...
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My mom tells me to lose weight to find a woman, too funny.

I don't want to be skinny but I would like to be on the lower side of my bmi, for my health reasons.

I agree that parents/family can be blunt but they mean well. I started telling my young nephews to watch what they eat, so it's a vicious cycle.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    :wink: I am not asian ...but if any of my friends or relies... tell me about my weight ..and they are chubby themselves , i just say in a nice way ...Hey what mirror you looking in ? I shore would like to borrow it ? And laugh it off ...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Then again i am 64 yrs old ...so i dont have to respect my elders as much as young ones do ..:smile:
    My inlaws use to give me heaps about my weight ...but now as they are older ...i tell them about all the wrinkles they have ...maybe put a little weight on to smooth things out and they dont like it ( chuckle ) ...or i point out that gravity hasnt been kind to you over the years ...

LOL. My husband teases his aunt back, except then she sent the ill wishes my way. I remembered when she said "you just wait until qtiekiki has kids, then you'll see.". I couldn't believe it.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It is shameful that the Ameican diet is what causes weight gain and health issues! Asian diets are very healthy and are linked to less diseases! I salute the traditional Asian diet!:drinker:

Please do what is best for YOU! I wish you all the best this life has to offer!:flowerforyou:
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I'm half Asian so I don't fit into their "tiny" stereotype. In Taiwan, I was refused a cabin because the clerk was afraid I would rip their clothes by trying them on. I was so embarrassed.

I find the really thin Asians are weak. My neighbour is Chinese and she is quite thin. She tells me she has weak arms and legs. She can't do pushups or squats. She has a treadmill but can't walk on it if there is a steep incline. I wonder if being weak is a good price to pay for being so slim and feminin .... she constantly needs a man to do things for her, like put a dish in the microwave (hood range) because her arms can't hold a plate of food above counter height.

My legs were the bain of my existence. I dream of fitting into ski boots or rainboots. With the weight gain, I added flabby arms to the my petpeeves.
  • THINandFABULOUS
    Options
    Hi All,

Are there any other Asians out there trying to lose weight? What are your goals for weight and sizes?
    Doesn't it SUCK being the chubby Asian in the group? Growing up, all my friends were consistently 105lbs!! I was at least 30 lbs heavier than that in high school!! I've also got a larger frame that most Asians...I wear 27" waist jeans and will probably never fit into anything smaller thanks to my wide hips...but I suppose curves come with their benefits too :)

I think my ultimate goal weight is 115 but I'd be happy between 115-120 at 5'2 1/2 :)
    at 125 lbs, I can STILL only fit into size XXXL when I go back to China. "Miss, I'm not sure we carry your size..."

Mom was constantly on me to lose weight and catch a man...haha !

Now that I've got one she doesn't want me to get too skinny because it's not good for bearing male grandchildren...

This was definitely my favorite thread to read through because it was something that I could relate to. First and foremost, I just want to say that I'm proud of you for having such a positive attitude about the remarks that your family and relatives make about your weight. In a sense, it is comforting to know that there are others that are going through similar situations.

I would just say, lose weight, eat healthy, exercise and most importantly do it for you. Do it to make yourself happy. From what I've observed, most Asian parents and families are very critical and will always be of their children regardless of how well they do. Like you said, it's SO hard to receive a compliment from Asian parents.

For my family, being fluffy is NOT acceptable- much less being overweight or obese. My sister and cousin hear it on a DAILY basis from my parents and grandmother. We sit at the dinner table and my grandmother will look to my cousin (who's 5'0, 125lbs) and make a snide mark, "Why are you eating? You've already put on so much weight." -_- And when we're out, they'll make remarks about other people's weight. It's very tough growing up in a family where weight is a topic that's constantly being brought up and dwelled on.

Granted, a lot of it is probably cultural because most Asian cultures emphasize "saving face." There's a lot of pressure to excel academically, look thin and be the "ideal" child. Hopefully, as the new wave of Asians become more assimilated into American culture where there is less emphasis on weight and body image and it's more acceptable to love your body as is, we'll be able to teach our children that the number on the scale does not validate the person you are, but rather, your intellect and character.

You can't change what your parents and family members say about your weight and appearance but you can change your attitude and perception about how your perceive things. But from what I've read so far, I think you've got a pretty good grasp on thing. :) Keep it up. :)

Best of luck to you. <3
  • THINandFABULOUS
    Options
    It's been a journey to get back to this weight...but with our culture and background...I'm constantly thinking how thin is thin enough?? I don't want to be a stick or lose my curves but I feel like I still have a little more to go. I hate going overseas and feeling like a cow and most of my friends/relatives are super tiny...like 95-105lbs so even being 20 lbs more than that seems like an enormous difference on a short frame...

I try to keep myself in check, being realistic and healthy about my ultimate weight goal. I use this site to see what I'd potentially look like at different weights at my height. I think I've settled on 115-120, preferably closer to 115...but sometimes I wonder...could I do 110?? Most of my friends are lighter than that...but probably not on my frame...

www.mybodygallery.com
    Don't compare yourself to them. Just be the best that you can be.
    Agree. Just be the best version of yourself.

You were born an original, don't die a copy. :P
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    It is shameful that the Ameican diet is what causes weight gain and health issues! Asian diets are very healthy and are linked to less diseases! I salute the traditional Asian diet!:drinker:

Please do what is best for YOU! I wish you all the best this life has to offer!:flowerforyou:

I disagree because Asian diets consists of refined white carbs (specifically rice) & a lot of the foods are high in sodium & oil. I know this because I live in Philippines where rice & oily dishes are the star of every meal.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I am an "Americanized" asian - asian face but American size. I have bigger frame, hands, shoes (size 9 American), boobs, hips and bootay. I have been one of the tallest person in my family since I was 11 years old.

Some cannot tell I am asian, I have been mistaken as Indian, Filipino, Mexican and Brazilian. I look like a generic brown person.

Well you do look Asian to me. Filipinos are Asians & there are Mexicans & Brazilians who look Asian because their Native American genes is dominant. Not to mention that there are lots of Asian people living especially in Brazil so that explains it.
  • THTchristina
    THTchristina Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am Asian and am pretty average but have never been the thin one in my groups of friends, so although weightloss is not my main concern, I would like to slim down as well.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Part of me empathizes with all of you because I know what it's like to feel massively out of place...but part of me is secretly relieved that I'm not the only one who struggles with this and envies others who seem to be so naturally thin.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    What is more appalling to me are Asians trying to "lighten" their skin. When I was in the Philippines a couple of years ago and went to the main studio where they record popular shows, I couldn't believe how "white" the Asians on the show were. And it's prevalent in all Asian shows now. They actually ingest pills or use injections or creams to do this.

Ironic really because they are trying to be more "American like", but here in America we're all trying to get tanner.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sweetrice12
    sweetrice12 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Tell me alllllll about it!! :)

I have heard it all and know exactly how it feels. Kinda glad I am not alone. I started this weight loss journey to show those people up but now I am only doing it for myself. Some days are still hard. I just know that if nothing is done, I will only be hurting myself in the end (health wise).
  • sweetrice12
    sweetrice12 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The worst thing about being asian and being overweight is eating all that rice. I grew up eating rice like if it was breathing air. It just comes naturally now with everything i eat from eating it with eggs, hotdogs, sausages, any thing.

Exactly this! I grew up eating white rice for breakfast, lunch, And dinner!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    The last time I was in Japan, I had to ask for rice. These guys actually did eat much of it. If they did, it was a really small side dish of it.
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Omg it's so nice to know others going through the same thing as I did. I know that sounds bad, but I mean with the whole family and friends pointing out how fat you are, or which parts got really HUGE. I guess it's totally an Asian thing.

I'm half Japanese but I have a small bone frame compared to Americans. I used to be skinny all my life, but things took a turn with my health and I gained weight a couple of years ago. I went home to visit family in January and boy oh boy did I get the how could you let yourself get so big, omg how fat you are, etc a few times. I mean I know I was huge, but jeez people I didn't need to be reminded more of it. Also just walking around Tokyo I felt like damn XL Supersized Godzilla.

I remember kids behind me making boom boom sounds of me walking. I started speaking Japanese to my brother and they just shut up and ran off. My friend later said why didn't you yell at the kids. I thought it'd be more embarrassing for me to get upset at the kids for doing that and making a scene.

Though back home I don't feel too bad, but most of my friends are Asian and stick thin and petite. I feel like King Kong's and Godzilla's offspring when we hangout. It was annoying that some thought I gained weight from binge eating, and I would tell them, I gained weight from health reasons. And they'd be totally shock that I would eat actually less than them. Now that I've lost some weight and exercising I'm not as HUGE, but still big, just don't feel like Godzilla big, so it's not as bad now.

BAHHHHAAAAAA!!! (my arnold laugh from happy days, lol) !! I am half Japanese and my mom is straight from Japan. When I was a child, all the Japanese freinds and family would tell my mom that i just had a 'lot of baby fat'. Can you imagine telling your friend that her kid has 'a lot of baby fat'? Well the Asians DO! I was constantly told which body parts were getting bigger, puffier, flabbier. My one thigh was the size of both my mom's put together! From first grade on up, I refused to wear shorts- even when it was 100degrees! Yes, I too felt like Godzirra. Worst part: Looking back at pictures shows I WAS NOT FAT!! I only WISH I were that size again! Oh, just remembered another thing. My mom even pointed out I had fat FEET! Fat Feet? Aw Jeesh.

So, now that I'm a mom and gramma I guess its time to pass the torch. I will immediately call my three daughters and tell them how fat and puffy and Godzirra- like they are! (you know I am kidding....)

:bigsmile:
  • shicken684
    Options
    I'm laughing at this thread. My g/f who was born in korea and adopted by a white American family somehow is facing a lot of the same problems as you with traditionally Asian parents. Every time she gains a pound or two her mom is on her *kitten* saying how shes getting fat, and needs to be skinny to find a man(I don't exist to her parents yet). Rest of her family is your typical overweight American, but since she is supposed to be a tiny Asian girl she gets bombarded with insults the moment she is 4 or 5 pounds over weight. I find it hilarious but I can tell it bothers her sometimes. I might have to show her this thread. It appears her parents wanted to give her a true traditional Korean upbringing.
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My nickname in Korea was Buddha. Www.flickr.com/photos/madriver

OMG!!! Reminds me when I was a kid they referred to me as 'Takanohana' who was a famous Sumo Wrestler in the 60's!!!!! WTH??!! :sad:
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Ha, I'm part Filipina and people are like 'Oh' because they don't expect me to have 'weight' issues!