WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2012

Options

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I'm back after most of 3 weeks gallivanting - to the Bay Area to help celebrate my dad's 90th
    Mimi SVQ

I just celebrated my dad's 90th on Sunday with about 20 of his new Seattle friends (he has only lived up here for 5 years)

I am glad to see you back.

So I am still in the running for the job. I am on to the next step of meeting all the managers I would be working with. Then hopefully and offer will follow. Thanks for wishing me luck and I hope you can keep your fingers crossed for me just a little while longer.

I received my kettle bell and work dvd's last week. Now I just need to start using them.

Much love ladies,

Robin, Bodi boy and Ritter bit.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was talking by phone with an old friend who told me the best unlost "lost item" story yet.

When I was about 14 we moved from Wisc. to Calif. We had movers pack us but we did the transporting ourselves. I had a box of school clothes that I packed. When we unpacked it was no where to be found. We filed a claim and I got to go shopping :bigsmile:

3 years later when my dad was getting ready to sell the airplane that he had been building but hadn't work on since we lived in Wisc. He found a box shoved up inside the nose of the plane. It was my box of missing clothes. Of course the clothes didn't fit me anymore.

That's my best lost item story. :wink:

-Robin
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Wow! I love you ladies! I haven't been able to get on here much lately but I did just spend the last hour catching up. (And yes I am at work).

Things are going ok for me. Still not working out as much as I should. Starting to do some arm exercises with the weights. Can sure feel it. Yes, BarbieCat I am going to go buy the book. I really need to stop being so lazy. My cruise is in 26 days (but who is counting) and I was hoping to be at 190 because that is where I was last May on my cruise. But I came back from the cruise and stopped eating healthy and working out. Gained almost 25. So now if I lose 7 more pounds I will be back to cruising weight. Hope I am better about everything this time!

First of all and of the utmost importance - HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO BARBIECAT!!!! How was the cleanse? I have never done one, but feel like I could use one.

KatDuck - Mammy is cute. My grandson is almost 9 months old and I wonder daily what he will end up calling me. Congrats on 6 months of blissful happiness!

Virginia - My daughter graduates Medical School in June, but I remember so clearly when she was 16. Just be glad you raise a smart responsible girl! And I can't wait until I way what my license says. LOL.

Kacki - How did the 3-year-old do at skiing? Hope you got pictures.

Smichaud1 - You sound like you enjoy running. Wish I enjoyed it that much. We keep signing up for runs hoping I will start to love it.

Jb - Wow, what a garden! I am happy with a few tomatoes. I can't even get them to grow long enough for me to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

RealPure - Glad you enjoyed the movie. My daughter is going to see it again this weekend. I might have to read the books. I also think the book is almost always better than the movie. But the Green Mile was an exception for me.

rjadams - It is great that your dad is still so active and traveling. I can only hope hubby and I are like that too.

Vivki and Kilime - welcome, this place is addicting. I find myself in bed wondering how everyone is doing if I haven't visited for awhile.

Vickim - good luck with the 5K. Do you run them often?

Nancy - Did yous say you ran an 5K race, or do you just run 5K? Either way, Congrats.

YClayton - Hope you are doing better.

Jane - My prayers to your friend

Sally - Hope you are doing better too.

Have a great week everyone!
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Barbie- Happy Belated Birthday

Hope all of you are having a good week. Quite a bit cooler here this week than it was last week when we broke record high temperatures for 6 days in a row! Hopefully tomorrow will be back in the 50's. I have been out with DH looking for a new car for him. He currently drives a Honda Pilot and really likes it but he drives quite a distance to work and the Piolot is not too good on gas. I think he has decided on a Toyota Camry, Now we just need to find the best deal/

Have a goo d week

Lynn
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Nancy - that's great that you found your wallet!!! I have this Bubba mug that I take when I go senior league bowling. I got one of those extra long straws to go in it. While we were driving to see Jessica, we stopped at this conveniece store to buy gas (and I went to the bathroom). I saw these straws so I took some. Now...for the life of me, I can't find them. they don't sell the extra-long ones in the store. Looks like we'll have to go up to see Jessica again just so I can get those straws. So I know what you mean, I keep hoping that one day out of the clear blue sky I'll find them, but so far no luck.

Did 20 minutes of yoga before I left for the extreme pump class (Mon). Tomorrow there is a board meeting for the Newcomers so I'll probably walk on the stairmaster for a bit before we go.

We went to the post office to mail our tax form and send some packages and we saw Lynette. They are coming for dinner tomorrow night. So I had to hurry up and buy the meat, make the stuffed shells, now I'm making the dessert. It works out well because Lynette doesn't care much for cooking and I love to cook.

JipsyJudy - exercise is a good addiction. I think I'm somewhat addicted to it, too. There are certainly much worse addictions. I left the house at 7:30 this morning (Tues) just so that I could get my exercise in before the Newcomers general meeting, because I knew that if I didn't get it in early, it wouldn't get in.

yvonne - take care of yourself, ya hear???

It's Tues now. Did an hour on the Stairmaster walking up the stairs sideways. Then there was a board meeting for the Newcomers, then did a bit of shopping and then played mahjongg (I maj's three times!). Friends of ours came over for dinner, I made beef stuffed shells, a chocolate Rice Krispie bar for Vince and Lynette and an apple cake for Ken and I had some. Gave them some of the apple cake (the rest I'll take to the bowling alley and to the Y). Tomorrow I'll do the deep water

Jane - lots of prayers

mimi - so glad to see you back!!! I missed your posts!

Sally - feel better fast!

barbie - how long have you had your PUR water filter? We haven't had ours that long (probably only a few years) yet lately when I change the filter, the water not only comes out the filter but it also trickles down the side. Then it'll start to spray lightly while coming out. I'm just wondering if it's a matter of having it for a few years.

jb - keep working that upper body and it WILL get stronger

JamCubeChi - of course there's always room for one more! Glad to have ya. What an interesting name, there must be a good story behind it. I knew someone would answer your question about finding us again. It's really quite easy (as said by a very un-computer-savvy person) Just know that when this link reaches 500 posts, it gets locked out, but you can always find the continuation at the end of the posts. Or....if you must, this is listed under "motivation", just click on that and you'll find part 2. But you shouldn't have to do that, just go to the end of part 1 and there'll be a link to part 2

Going to take a shower now.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    :flowerforyou: Jb, I graduated from high school in Eureka, California and then moved back there a few years after college……it was many years later when hubby and I moved to Hydesville (about 25 miles southeast of Eureka) and did our farming for a few years. Now we live in a manufactured home with very little yard and what there is requires very little care. When we were farming I had a more than full time job so hubby did most of the work…..about pushups, it would be a good idea to let your muscles rest for 48 hours after pushups so doing them every day would be counterproductive.

:flowerforyou: JamCubeChi, we have had a lot of discussion about being a group and decided to stay as a thread…….you are absolutely welcome to join us…..now that you have posted, this topic will come up under “My Topics” and it will be easy to find us. This is a wonderful place to find support and encouragement. I look forward to getting to know you better….I am the mother of two standard poodles and a cat and married to my soul mate……I started this journey over three years ago and can’t imagine my life without my great friends on MFP.

:flowerforyou: Laura, I hope I’ll hear soon that you’ve started some weight training…..many of us have read “Strong Women Stay Young” and used the program the book describes as a starting point.

:flowerforyou: JipsyJudy, I like that “sitting is the new smoking”. When I ride the ferry, I walk the whole way and watch all the people sitting and eating when they could be moving…..of course if they were all walking, it would be very crowded in the aisles.

:flowerforyou: Robin, good luck on the job and the kettlebell.

:flowerforyou: Tallen,I’ve been doing Isagenix cleanse days at least once a month for almost three years. I consider it a major factor in my weight loss and continued maintenance of my new weight.

:flowerforyou: Michele, we’ve had our PUR water filter for a few years, first in the motorhome, now in our house and didn’t have an trouble with it……maybe it has something to do with the washers and the faucet connection.

:flowerforyou: I want to post now so we can watch the “Dancing With the Stars” results show…….hubby and I watch it together. We have several favorites already and we always vote---house phone, two cell phones, texting, and the internet. Today was weight training day and I did my workout while watching a DVR recording of the European figure skating championships. There is something inspiring about watching great athletes while working out.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where it has been sunny and windy all day.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Yes, we are baaack! :happy:

My Grade 6’s are studying data collection, graphing, etc. I don’t, as a rule, give them candy but today was an exception. Each student got a bag of jelly-beans. They had to estimate the total, number of colours, number of each colour, etc. Then count, then make bar and line graphs showing the differences between their estimates and totals. Then…yes, they got to eat the candy. Good thing we had lunch break right after math. :ohwell: I have to write report cards and get everything in order for my replacement, so have been very focused on the record keeping and paperwork side of the job. It’s so much more fun when I can play too.

Those of you working on the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women will appreciate this…I finished the last workout of Stage 1 today. My progress is posted over on the NRWLW group “Stage 1” thread. Suffice to say I feel powerful :explode: and I am quite comfortable on the “boys” side of the gym (but I don’t look like a goddess yet – despite the sub-title of the book.)

A note about strength training and metric confusion: I was doing lunges with 20lb dumbbells in my hands. Hmm, I figured, today I’ll up those weights a bit. The dumbbell rack was across the gym but beside me were the new kettlebells. :smile: “Let’s try 16 kg, that should be good,” I said to myself. Three sets later I was just about falling over. :explode: “Holy hopping bench presses and barbells, Batman, this is tough!” Later I saw the football players using the same weights for their lunges. :noway: At home I did a little conversion and found out that 16kg = just over 35 pounds! Whew.

Barbie - Funny story about Jake’s wallet, and it does sound familiar. It’s a good thing I decided to set the table properly for Sunday dinner or that wallet might have been in the linen drawer until the next time my parents come to visit! :laugh:

JB “Weaker on Weekends” is my theme song. :bigsmile: Something does kick in and say “eat, drink and be merry” on those days that begin with F or S! I have just decided we need a strategy. Hmmm???? OK, for me, I am beginning by making Sunday a “clean day”. No wine with dinner and no going over my calorie goal. If I can make that a habit I’ll be hitting 5 days out of 7 squarely and fairly most of the time.

Push-ups kill me, by the way, I still can’t do enough of the manly style from the floor for my regular workouts (3 sets of 8 pushups) but I’m getting close.

Laura I hope the fires stay far from your home. Did DH have fun with the grandson?

Realpure, Yippee for you & Spring Break. :flowerforyou:

JipsyJudy, I want a treadmill desk! :happy:

RJ, good, good wishes on the job hunt, great lost clothes story.

Tallen, I couldn’t run 5K to save my life! :laugh: I “do” 5K almost every day though, a combination of walk/run intervals.

Michelle, I am glad I am not the only person who can loose things in a completely empty room. In fact, I noticed while helping DH with the construction project that he can loose a hammer or a screw driver in plain sight too, so at least it’s not just us. :wink:

J'Boy is home from band practice, DH is at choir and I am going to get one more load of laundry into the production line before I give in to the desire to read a book and relax. :yawn:

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: Nancy, about pushups, I've been struggling with the manly style on the floor because the knee kind are much too easy. Today I realized that I have a great compromise (thanks to you telling me about the blocks) you were using.......I have very solid heavy wooden chairs and putting my hands on the seat of a chair Is the perfect challenge. I use the seat of the chair for triceps pushups too.

When I taught grade one we did an estimating, counting, and graphing project with the single serving M&Ms. :bigsmile: yum, yum

Today I did two sets of 20 lunges with 5 pound dumbbells in each hand...next time I'll try heavier weight and fewer repetitions.....I love your metric confusion story...I can approximate grams to ounces, kilometers to miles, and Celsius to Fahrenheit but kilograms to pounds would have tricked me too.
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Wow...I am soooo behind. Having a 3 week old and 3 year old in the house certainly throws lots of things out the window...my routine being the very first to go:tongue:

Lyla, our darling 3 year old, had her first lesson on skis yesterday. She did just fine, but was a bit of a "pill" with the instructor. ( Her nose was running, she didn't like her helmet, she wanted a snack...oh, my....there is a good reason you need to pay an instructor to do these thing! My patience would not have made it through her routine!) In the end, she did well and today we took her out with some neighbor's children and they had fun together. She has another lesson tomorrow. We shall see! I am having fun with the 3 week old, but had forgotten how tiny they are! The 3 year old is SO small for her age, but looks like a giant next to her!

Mary: SO happy to have you back!

Barbie: Happy, happy Birthday, dear friend. You are such an inspiration to me and the rest of us here. Thank you for all you do to "keep us together!"

Nancy: Oh, I would have love having you as a teacher! What a great way to make graphs FUN! And I have the "weaker on the weekends" thing too! Can't wait to get the "New RUles of Weight Lifting" book...you ladies are inspiring me!

Oh, heck, my brain is mush. There were so many more of you I meant to comment on individually. Sorry. I need to get to sleep. Everyone had a nap after skiing except for me. I cooked dinner for all of us and our neighbors with 4 little ones. It was WILD here, but fun.

Take care, All. Kackie
  • brunsda
    brunsda Posts: 78
    Options
    Barbie - Belated Birthday wishes to you! You are such a treasure. You touch so many lives in positive ways. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sending good thoughts to those dealing with illness or accident.

have a good week everyone. Off to bed for me.

Dawn
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Nancy, the first step to getting a treadmill desk seems to me to be to start by working standing up. According to the Livestrong website standing rather than sitting burns an extra 50 calories per hour. Since I work on laptops, today I converted both of my desks to standing desks by putting things on the desktops to raise the laptops up to elbow level (all you need is a crate, actually). I worked at least three hours standing today. It might have been four. It felt good. Well, I used to teach, and teachers stand most of the day. My lower legs feel a little bit tight tonight, and my hip tendons or muscles are a bit sore, but it's within my comfort zone.

Tonight I'm celebrating. I got my second quarterly blood tests since starting the insulin resistance diet. Between September and June, my fasting blood sugar dropped from 110 (prediabetic) to 95. Between December and March, it dropped again from 95 to 89. The diet works! I also got tested for Mercury, because I eat seafood nearly every day. My mercury levels were LOW. I also got liver and kidney function tests, because I have wine with dinner most nights. My liver and kidney function tests were great. Also my cholesterol and inflammation tests were normal. Phew. My program here is working. Diet and exercise can be the best medicine!
  • JipsyJudy
    Options
    Barbie, I can't do pushups off the floor, because I have arthritis in my hands. I do mine off the kitchen counter and off the bed. We have a platform bed, which gives me a nice stable platform, and it's a good height.

Last week my DIL, who was a college athlete, spotted me doing squats and told me to do them differently. She said you need to make sure that your knees never ever extend forward beyond your toes. If your knees go ahead of your toes, you can injure your knees. So I'm now pushing my butt aft when I squat. And it definitely exercises the leg muscles differently.
  • dlpappas
    dlpappas Posts: 14
    Options
    Good morning, Ladies - happy Wednesday!

All of your posts are great and I look forward to reading them every day. I've never done much online and have never joined a discussion group, plus I'm not very tech-savvy, so this is all new to me, and I can't stop thinking about all of you. Knowing that you're there and we're all going through the same thing helps keep me motivated to really lose weight. Barbie, Jullian and others, thanks for the warm welcome, and I look forward getting to know all of you more.

Jane, I'm praying for your friend.

Jillian, water does come in flavors :happy: I'm like you and really don't like plain water, but my husband found a couple of flavored waters and I drink them all the time. Nestle Pure Life is one, and Adirondack is another. Neither has calories and both come in many different flavors.

talle3987 - you WILL those those 7 lbs before your cruise - I know you can do it!

JipsyJudy, thanks for the tip on how to follow this converation into the new month. I know I would have lost you all! And, congrats on the great bloodwork results - good job!

Love the running is my drug of choice t-shirt! I don't run so mine would say "execise is ..." It is definitely habit-forming and does give you a wonderful high. I exercised daily since I was in my early 30s, but when arthritis in my hip got so bad that I couldn't do weight-bearing any more, that's when the pounds started packing on. Then, a hip replacement in late '09 followed by polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) since then, I've slowed down even more. Some mornings it's tough to move at all. Hip is great, though! Best thing I ever did was to have it replaced. With meds PMR is getting under conrtol, and now I'm walking again, a little more each day. I found a great walking DVD (in New England, there's much of the year when we can't get outside to walk). It's Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home 5-mile Fat Burning Walk. It's at a 5-mile an hour pace and you can walk one mile, the whole 5 or anywhere in between. And she gets your whole body into it with arm movements, twists and lunges. I'm up to 2 miles now.

Cold an dreary and showery today, so I'm going to go do 2 miles, take a shower and hang some new curtains (have the day off from work).

Have a great day, all; and good luck on your goals!
    Diane
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning one and all, happy Weds. Getting my finger exercises done early this morn. :laugh:

Sure do enjoy reading what everyone has to say about lifting, and squats, and push ups - I learn something every day. Good advice, Judy, about knees not going over the toes while squatting. I'll check that out. And Barbie, you're right about not doing the push ups every day, I'll stay on the 2x a week plan for now, Mondays and Thursdays. Good grief Nancy, holy hefty lifting there, Batman, 35 lbs! :noway: You're all such an inspiration! Your comments keep me thinking in a "stronger" direction, for sure. :smile:

Barbie, I'm familiar with the Eureka area. Nice neck of the woods there. And oh the Redwoods! Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. I'll bet you miss it sometimes, but your place in WA is probably gorgeous as well! :wink:

Hubby and I grow our veggies in a community garden spot a couple of miles from our house. Our 2 plots combined equal 3150 sq. ft. so we have tons and tons of room. Along one edge we have a 45' row of boysenberries, and today we'll be putting in some new fall-bearing, thornless red raspberry plants called "Joan J's" which is of course why we chose the variety. :bigsmile: At home we have a sunny front yard full of perennial flowers and dahlias, and have a large back yard with a nice lawn for doggies and a huge black walnut tree which offers cool shade in the summer. I went crazy for a few years researching shade-loving perennials which now I have several dozen of. I grow my herb garden at the house too, nice and close to the kitchen. Beautiful big bushes of Greek oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary, chives and lovage, with annual plantings of Italian parsley, basil and cilantro. I keep the dill down at the garden but might plant some at the house this year if I can find a spot. Upstairs we have all of our little seedlings growing under lights, they're so cute! Yes, I'm going crazy again this year and planting 100's of annual flowers, starting them all from seed. I must be nuts! But I love it. :flowerforyou:

Salad Sistas! I fixed a beaut yesterday with spinach, romaine, chard, cauliflower, celery, carrot and tomato, dressed with a mixture of hummus, evoo and balsamic. I put half a cup of leftover basil/garlic pasta on the side with a few bites of leftover BBQ pork ribs. Kept me feeling pretty full most of the afternoon until about 5:30 when I got done teaching - hunger struck! Drank a couple giant glasses of water when I got home instead of digging into hubby's chips or something I'd regret. Yay for H2O. I'm drinking 80 oz every day. :tongue:

Guess I'd better scoot on outta this chair. FIngers are sufficiently warmed up. Best go hit the track and warm up the rest o' me. Good day! :drinker:
    jb
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sunny Wednesday,

jb- I do so love boysenberries...and the only place that I've ever had them was through Knott's Berry Farm in S Calif. In Oregon we had wild blackberries and those were the closest to boysenberries that I've ever had. Your garden / flower project will keep you pretty busy. Back in 1980 when we lived in the country on five acres I talked my hubby into helping me plant a garden, I was pregnant with Son #2 and our garden turned into a giant free meal for the deer and bunnies:sad: so hubby said never again because I didn't do my part:blushing: so I just enjoy hearing about all of you that are so garden inclined:wink:

Last night when I got home we left right away to take hubbys truck to the repair shop for work needed, and so this am he brought me to work...not used to getting ready with him up and about and sharing the bathroom...reminded me of how it used to be when he had a job and I would love for it to be that way all the time:smile: But with the running around last night then I didn't get in my exercise :grumble: and when I got home I had other things that needed to be done before bed...hoping tonight I will be able to get right to it when I walk in the door:smile:

The fires are still going in the foothills, yesterday the winds weren't as bad and they have a lot of extra firefighters today so I'm hoping they are able to get some of it contained. We are really a far distance from it but the "campfire" smell seems to be all over the city...marshmellos anyone:wink:

Hubby was behind me when I was walking into my office and commented on seeing that the back of my jeans were a bit baggy not as skin tight as he's used to seeing:noway: so it must be time to wash AND dry my jeans in the dryer:drinker: The scale maynot be moving at the pace I'd like but it's moving in the right direction:drinker:

Everyone have a good day, I've got to log my food for the day (planning ahead what I'm going to eat makes all the difference for me), drinking the water even as I type this:drinker: and let's all move our bodies today.

Laura80111:smile:
  • barbiecat
    Options

I couldn’t run 5K to save my life! :laugh: I “do” 5K almost every day though, a combination of walk/run intervals.

I "do" a 5K every morning before 9AM but none of it is walking and it has lots of breaks to smell and enjoy the scenery and watch the birds......the poodles and I walk for more than two hours every morning and during the earliest part of the walk when it's still dark and I'm only walking one dog,at a time I do at least 100 squats while the dog on the leash is sniffing the bushes.........I'm great at distance but speed is not part of the plan.......I can run a block or two :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! Have I told you all how much I love it here? I'm down another half pound. Won't log it in until it is a whole pound, but I feel like I might make my mini goal. Still haven't got the book yet, but have started to carry my 3-pound dumbbells around with me. I fit in a few arm exercises when I can at work. Part of me says that isn't good enough, but the other part says it is better than nothing.

dlpappas - Thanks for the encouragement!

Thanks to all of you for the inspiration to keep going in the right direction!
  • JipsyJudy
    Options
    Laura, I've become a huge fan of second hand clothing stores since joining MFP. And they usually have lots of choices in jeans.

Barbie, you're a better woman than I am. I could not get up and walk for two hours before the sun comes up.
  • AFabulous50
    AFabulous50 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day Ladies...

Wanted to check in and say hi quickly and will catch up on posts tomorrow. Yesterday was WW weigh-in and I got my official WW 10 pounds lost star! One week from yesterday is my Shedding Pounds for Hounds final weigh in...and I have a bit to go to my pledge. Each week the WW instructor offers a "Magic Tracking Book" to an individual which is the group tracking book...so...I took the challenge. If people are going to see what I have been eating when they use the book...then I WILL BE GOOD! Today I have been starved all day for some reason. Hubby & I are out to dinner, then to a Moody Blues Concert. Oh for the memories:drinker: I was up at 4:30 am today as I had to be in work earlier than normal. Came home and took a 30 minute nap, still felt kind of tired, so I got on the treadmill and revved up those endorphins. Feeling pretty good now...other then sweaty! :ohwell:

So I best go get cleaned up and ready for our date. Looking forward to it, even if it is on a Wednesday night. Could make for a long Thursday & Friday:yawn: :yawn:

Have a great evening all,
    MEG