Married guys who lift weights at the gym...

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but I lift heavy.. and I keep my ring on. Of course, it's a simple gold band. I even keep it on to do deadlifts, so if there's an excuse others give for the ring pinching them, etc, it's not true. Or why are you at the gym if you can't take a tiny pinch on the palm?

Huh>?!

It's a piece of jewelry. My heart is with my husband and wearing a ring or not won't change that. I also don't wear it to bed, in the shower, doing dishes, or days I just stay in the house.... And not for nothing...but if I busted that set in any way, I would cry my eyes out and my husband would be sad...so yeah...it stays home.

Wait huh?!

That's how I feel about it, I have some other jewelry from my bf (rings, necklaces, etc) that are very near and dear to me and I don't wear them if I'm working out, washing dishes, out playing with the dog, etc. It would break my heart if anything were to happen to those things.

And when I am wearing rings, it hurts my fingers just to hold the nylon leash while walking my dog (she pulls really hard--I know, bad dog), so I have to think it will be pretty uncomfortable against a metal bar.
  • Sheila1968
    Sheila1968 Posts: 106
    Options
    Married woman here - I always take my ring off, and so does my husband, but we work out at home, not at a gym. More comfortable and won't scratch/ding knock the diamond loose that way.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I never wear my ring, but if I did... it would get destroyed on the first lift.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I do take it off, but I wear it on my phiten necklace so its always on me

^This...Ultimate answer for this problem...I do this now.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my ring at the gym or otherwise these days. It's been way to big for me since last fall. I've been meaning to get to a jeweler to get it resized but haven't been able to find the time. When it did fit, I took it off to play sports & lift weights.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I take it off and glue it to my forehead, shows I'm still married. My college ring too, gotta represent!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I never take mine off, and I have a lovely callous on my palm right below it.

I wear that callous with as much pride as I wear my wedding band!
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    No reason why I ask this... I promise. It's just an innocent question. :blushing: :bigsmile:

Do you wear your ring when you lift weights?? I would imagine it's a hassle taking it off and putting it back on but I also imagine it could hurt or get in the way when you work out.

As a wife... whenever my husband goes to the gym with me, I make him take it off. I don't want it getting scratched. Besides, in his line of work (electrician/construction), he's not allowed to wear his ring for fear of his finger getting ripped off or them having to cut it off if something happens to that finger.

If a woman is worried about her husband NOT wearing the ring at the gym, she's got much more to worry about than just that!
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I wear it mostly. There are some lifts that I may take it off, but not too many.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I used to find wearing a ring distracting. When playing baseball, with my ring on my glove hand, if I caught a ball and it hit that ring, it would hurt pretty badly.
  • monty_williams
    Options
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't wear their wedding ring at all. I took mine off about 2 years ago and never put it back on. My wife was a little disconcerted at first, but she's got nothing to worry about. I'm a homer; I'm either at work, at the grocery store on my way home from work, or at home doing my own thing or with our kids. Otherwise, we're together.

So no, I don't wear mine when I lift, if I did wear it daily, I'd take it off to prevent damage and pinching.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    When I was married, I did.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'd wear mine while lifting if I hadn't lost it. The crazy part is, the wife hasn't noticed I haven't been wearing my ring for the last 3 weeks. I'm just waiting for the day she realizes it, I kind of feel like that kid who's dreading the day his parents see his report card.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting married woman here -- I take mine off for deadlifts.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I do, but I have quite a callous just below it on my hand. It occasionally pinches too. I'm not worried about scratches, it's Tungsten Carbide. It probably scratches the bar!

JM

Same with me
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    No reason why I ask this... I promise. It's just an innocent question. :blushing: :bigsmile:

Do you wear your ring when you lift weights?? I would imagine it's a hassle taking it off and putting it back on but I also imagine it could hurt or get in the way when you work out.

Nope, I think it's a potential danger. While there isn't much that a ring could catch on, if it happened you could lose a finger.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am not a guy, but I think wherein my ring while lifting it gets in the way even when doing other work I take off my rings just because I have almost ripped my finger right off or ripped the skin to the bone while getting it caught on stuff.
    I feel guilty when I don’t where mine and very Naked LOL
  • chriscoates7025
    chriscoates7025 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I always have, but it is getting all bent out of shape. I now try to remember to remove it before lifting.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I take it off to workout even for cardio.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Nope, I think it's a potential danger. While there isn't much that a ring could catch on, if it happened you could lose a finger.

I actually went to school with a guy that had a ring, he jumped up to smack a street sign and lost a finger, and he was on the basketball team, so he was out for a while.