Married guys who lift weights at the gym...

Options

Replies

• avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but I don't wear my rings at the gym for the same reason I don't wear them while working pyro, in the machine shop or on the factory floor. When I was in college if the machinist saw you in his shop with rings or dangly jewelry or clothes he'd kick your butt out and tell you to change or put your jewelry in your pockets. Things like that get caught and can cause an injury, not a scratch or a pinch, but a loss of finger. Removing your jewelry around heavy equipment is just a good habit.
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I know I'l catch hell for this... but my husband and I are gonna get wedding band tats! What up!!! We both have jobs where we can't wear our rings when we work... so easy-peasy lemon squeezy probem solved!
  • tamerkins2
    tamerkins2 Posts: 212
    Options
    My husband always takes his off to lift. It used to irk me, but now that I started some lifting, I completely understand why he takes it off!! I always take my rings off, even during Zumba or Kickboxing, for fear of it flying off.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Neither my husband nor I wear our wedding bands when we lift. For two reasons, first, the grips aren't particularly good for the rings (scratches), and second, sometimes it pinches in an odd way. Neither of us particularly likes to wear our ring when exercising in general. We used to take them off juts for the gym, now we just don't wear them much at all. *shrug*

As a side note, I am continually shocked at the number of women who wear rings on the pole. It scratches the pole, and your ring. Just take the damned things off already.
  • dreweth
    dreweth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'd wear mine while lifting if I hadn't lost it. The crazy part is, the wife hasn't noticed I haven't been wearing my ring for the last 3 weeks. I'm just waiting for the day she realizes it, I kind of feel like that kid who's dreading the day his parents see his report card.

Dude - she's noticed. She is waiting to see if you notice and own up.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Been married 21 years and haven't worn my ring since a year after we was married... Use to work on Auto Machine Presses and got the darn thing bent on my finger and barely got it off without cutting it off... We talked about it way back then and decided it was not that big of a deal if I (or she) wore it so since then it has been a non issue... We are both secure in our relationship that our commitment to one another goes alot deeper than any material belongings we may wear... That being said my wife for our 25th Anniversary is eyeballing some new settings for her ring.... lol and I am sure she will be getting it..... :-)
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't wear my ring to the gym at all because it really gets in the way for lifts....that and my hands tend to swell pretty bad. \m/
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Don't wear mine at all now because i have to get it resized smaller- I have lost one- nver to be found, and lost this one, but found it. When I did wear it-- I left it on at the gym....

Same here almost exactly. i've been w/out my wedding band for a long time. A few years at least. I tried to buy a super cheap one just so i have one to wear but I ordered it online and it ended up not fitting. I do bring 2 daughters w/me to the gym so they are kind of like my wedding ring when I'm at the gym. When I did have it I wore it everywhere all the time. I still have the habit of spinning it around my ring finger with my thumb...but there is nothing there to spin now.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I know I'l catch hell for this... but my husband and I are gonna get wedding band tats! What up!!! We both have jobs where we can't wear our rings when we work... so easy-peasy lemon squeezy probem solved!
    love it! I joked that I was going to have my husband's tattooed on, at the wedding ceremony!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

That's cool, I think they're brilliant ideas although my ex husband has my name on his ring finger. Ooops!!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    No reason why I ask this... I promise. It's just an innocent question. :blushing: :bigsmile:

Do you wear your ring when you lift weights?? I would imagine it's a hassle taking it off and putting it back on but I also imagine it could hurt or get in the way when you work out.

Hehe. I've injured my finger so it won't fit over my knuckle anymore. So I haven't worn mine in about 9 years.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I dont wear it for weights or cardio. Too much of a pain...
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    engaged no wedding band yet but i do have rings i usually have on.. but when lifting i have to take it off as the grid ruins the ring, my rings are thick and when hands sweat they create a white "moisture" ring under the finger.. looks like my fingers gonna die lol so i take all my rings off and now i started to take my chain off too as its getting too tight around my neck during certin excersises...
  • yesca192324
    Options
    I'm not a guy but, I'm married and even lifting "woman" weight sets my ring(s) pinches me and I hate it. So, yes I to take mine off to.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I take it off. I'm not ruining the fabulous diamond my husband worked so hard to put on my finger! :love:
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

That's cool, I think they're brilliant ideas although my ex husband has my name on his ring finger. Ooops!!

:heart: ^ I'll never ever get anyone's name tat'd on my body for this very reason.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I find that wearing my weigh gloves stops a lot of the issues of rings and lifting weight ..... I no longer take of my Super Bowl XXVI ring or my pimp ring when I am lifting. :laugh:
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but I lift heavy.. and I keep my ring on. Of course, it's a simple gold band. I even keep it on to do deadlifts, so if there's an excuse others give for the ring pinching them, etc, it's not true. Or why are you at the gym if you can't take a tiny pinch on the palm?
    OH, GIVE ME A BREAK.

I work out in the comfort of my own home, have never stepped foot in a gym, and I ALWAYS take my ring off when I am going to do any kind of workout due to potential damage, loss, AND YES, PINCHING. I take it off if I'm playing drums too, because the pinching is exponentially worse for some reason. If I were in public, I'd wear it around my neck on a chain.
  • b_h_bloomer
    b_h_bloomer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've got a tungsten carbide band that's pretty wide, but I wear it anyway. It only really bothers me when I'm doing free weights. I pretty much never take it off, and certainly wouldn't at the gym... some of those ladies are quite brazen ;)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but I lift heavy.. and I keep my ring on. Of course, it's a simple gold band. I even keep it on to do deadlifts, so if there's an excuse others give for the ring pinching them, etc, it's not true. Or why are you at the gym if you can't take a tiny pinch on the palm?

If your ring doesnt fit well... cause you ... i dunno.... lost weight? then it can pinch so badly if it slips and you get these big black and red blisters on the pads of your palm and lifting sucks then. plus if the bars are that rough metal, it scrapes gold.