In place of a road map!

Options

Replies

• ImRadical4Jesus
    ImRadical4Jesus Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    So Carbs would be 40% of BMR = 489?...wow is this right?
    Fat and Protein at 30% BMR=367? Really?
    so carbs= 616 <----double wow!
    fat and protein=462
    So my carbs would be set at 613 ? 40% of BMR
    fat and protein at 460? at 30% of BMR
    Carbs and protein = 4 calories per gram. Fat =9 calories per gram.
    So, for the first lot - Carbs = 122g, fat = 41g, protein = 92g

OK thank you so much. I set my "Net calories consumed at 1224. and carbs at 122, fat at 41 and protein at 92. I will eat back the earned calories. Again thank you!
  • m4nd479
    m4nd479 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :noway:

bump for later
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I am little confused as well..I have read so much my brain is numb lol So any help would be great!
    I have been told of two places to get my BMR so not sure which to use. Dan recommends the McArdle formula, but comparing the two sites the Benedict formula and the one from Fitnessfrog as very close. Which do I use?????? I do not want to starve my body I want to burn fat and loose the weight, but tone at the same time. I've lost 5 pounds but at a stand still now.

On fat2fitradio
    my BMR is 1224 Katch-McArdle Forumla
    TDEE is 1468.8 (at 20% more than my BMR)
    So Carbs would be 40% of BMR = 489?...wow is this right?
    Fat and Protein at 30% BMR=367? Really?

Harris-Benedict Formula says 1540
    TDEE is 1848
    so carbs= 616 <----double wow!
    fat and protein=462

On another site Fitnessfrog,
    my BMR is 1534
    And says my TDEE is 2378
    So my carbs would be set at 613 ? 40% of BMR
    fat and protein at 460? at 30% of BMR

MFP says totally different so I'm confused o-O Which one do I use?

I'm 47
    185 pounds
    want to loose 55 pounds
    5' 4
    BF 53%
    Moderate activities- light weights 3 days a week, walking or stationary bike other days (plus WII & Xbox360 Dancing and bowling with the kids bout 3 times a week lol)

I'd like to set up my own goals, but sure don't want to put in wrong info. I want to burn off the fat!

Can anyone help me figure this out plz?!!!! Thank you!

Wow you are really confusing yourself on this.
    Slow down.
    Relax.

Figure out what calories youll be eating a day.
    Its between TDEE and BMR.
    Set MFP to Protein 30% and Fat 30%.
    Go for 90% whole foods and 10% junk and youll do just fine!
    MFP will track the Grams of macronutrients you eat.
    Some foods are calorie dense and some are not.
    So the numbers that you are trying to understand are not correct.

Set it up then take a day at a time.

Preset your diary the night before so you can see where your macros hit then edit things out and add things in so youll have a perfect or near perfect day.
    If i'm prelogging my diary for the next day and i'm over in carbs, I may drop a carb and add a fat or protein in.
    Personally i'm from the school that thinks Fats are better for you than Carbs on a rest day.
    So Tuesdays and Thursdays youll probably see my Fats in the red while my carbs are under.
    Monday, Weds and Friday youll see my carbs are way in the red because those are the days I lift.

Youll get the hang of it!
    Just keep in mind that stress will set you back so relax!
    =D
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    bumped
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

So if I take my KM BMR 1332 and add 20% to get my TDEE that makes 1598, yet on the fat2fitradio website it 2051, I also read that I can or should minus 15% -20% and aim to eat that to lose weight? (Can't find where it was now) if that is so 2051-15% = 1743 or 2051 - 20% = 1640

TDEE is found by taking the EXACT number given depending on your activity factor and adding 20%.
    So if you work out 3-5 times a week and the number is 1800, you take 1800x1.20=2160
    Youll be eating the 1800 daily but knowing that if you start eating above 2100 daily youll gain weight.
    Do I change my base calories on MFP as 1332 and then eat back all my exercise calories? I average betwwen 220 and 440 a day?!?!? I am a bit confused HELP!!!! Lol

Jen x

Edit: I want to reduce my weight, all over body measurements AND get my BF% down to about 22%

Set MFP to the EXACT number given by F2F under activity.
    Eat back any calories to get Net 200cals above BMR.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    EDIT: deleted my post as I noticed Dan had responded so did not want to confuse further.
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Just did this and MFP didn't like it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tells me I will gain .8# per week. We'll see in a month MFP. :tongue:
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MadusaCait
    MadusaCait Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump and thanks dan!
  • jenny234
    jenny234 Posts: 3
    Options
    Bump
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Just did this and MFP didn't like it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tells me I will gain .8# per week. We'll see in a month MFP. :tongue:

Don't worry about it - It tells me I am going to lose 0.2lb per week.

I don't :)
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    This forum is very helpful, and I was easily able to calculate my numbers thanks to the clear explanation. But I guess the question that isn't answered, and maybe there is no answer is:

If I'm not supposed to eat below my BMR, why is MFP's goal set at close to 500 calories less?

(and that's on no work-out days; I have a hard time setting TDEE because some weeks I'm moderately active, and other sedentary - have a desk job where I don't move - only activity comes from gym - if I don't go to the gym, TDEE is lower).

I am losing following MFP's goal, but likely not as fast as I probably could sustain given my weight. Is it because I'm eating under BMR?

If the answer is just that MFP is wrong - I can handle that. I guess all I can do is try it this way and see if I still lose, right?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This forum is very helpful, and I was easily able to calculate my numbers thanks to the clear explanation. But I guess the question that isn't answered, and maybe there is no answer is:

If I'm not supposed to eat below my BMR, why is MFP's goal set at close to 500 calories less?

(and that's on no work-out days; I have a hard time setting TDEE because some weeks I'm moderately active, and other sedentary - have a desk job where I don't move - only activity comes from gym - if I don't go to the gym, TDEE is lower).

I am losing following MFP's goal, but likely not as fast as I probably could sustain given my weight. Is it because I'm eating under BMR?

If the answer is just that MFP is wrong - I can handle that. I guess all I can do is try it this way and see if I still lose, right?

MFP only gives a threshold of 1200 - otherwise, it is just math. Depending on what you set you weight loss at - it just deducts that from your 'baseline'.
  • cvanbeek
    cvanbeek Posts: 107
    Options
    BUMP
  • krockwell
    krockwell Posts: 34
    Options
    Oh man... I am SO utterly confused, and overwhelmed!!

Anyone care to help me out with this?

Heigh 5'10
    CW: 238.8
    BF% according to the site 47.4%

I'm a stay at home mom, but sit a LOT.

Work out 1/2 hr most days (5/7) running usually 5mph for 15 minutes, 3.5mph for the other 15. No weights, no anything else.

Anyone care to punch the numbers for me? I'm so confused at what I SHOULD be eating/not eating!
  • RachelGraceReed83
    RachelGraceReed83 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Oh man... I am SO utterly confused, and overwhelmed!!

Anyone care to help me out with this?

Heigh 5'10
    CW: 238.8
    BF% according to the site 47.4%

I'm a stay at home mom, but sit a LOT.

Work out 1/2 hr most days (5/7) running usually 5mph for 15 minutes, 3.5mph for the other 15. No weights, no anything else.

Anyone care to punch the numbers for me? I'm so confused at what I SHOULD be eating/not eating!

At least 1700 daily.

Ill type it out again.
    military body fat calf first.
    take that info to the BMR tool.
    use the match mcgartle number as your BMR.
    NEVER eat below this number.

At the bottom of the page is a list of activity settings from sedentary to very active.
    You would want to use the light activity factor.
    eat exactly what that number is daily.
    if you work out and log your activity be sure to eat back if the net is below BMR.
    this is a simple concept unless you start overthinking things.

A quick example:
    My BMR is close to 1600.
    I'm moderately active and F2F is giving me 2000 calories to eat daily.
    so if I eat this number I should lose weight.
    if I go for an hour HIIT routine and burn 600 calories that puts my NET at 1400.
    this isbelow my BMR.
    I now have to eat AT LEAST 200 calories to first get to BMR.
    But with the knowledge that eating at BMR is still not enough to fuelmy activities I should still eat a little more.

presetting diaries the day before a training day is a surefire way to make sure you eat the proper amount of food the next day.
    if you look at today's diary you'll see its front loaded for a huge breakfast 1300 and a big lunch.
    I know that my lifting routine uses about 200 calories so ive accounted for that and will eat up to 3k today to stimulate lean mass growth.

To keep it simple.
    Always eat above BMR and try to get the calories goal daily.
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • sparklefly74
    sparklefly74 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later