• sparklefly74
    sparklefly74 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later
    :wink:
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This is such a great thread, thank you Dan. I think I get everything you've said and it is extremely helpful.

Can anyone give me a bit more info for the obese. I notice in a lot of threads there is a suggestion that if you are very obese the "rules" may be slightly different. I don't suppose anyone can ellaborate on this a bit with advice and information tailored to those of us with rather a lot more spare fat? :laugh:

I am 5ft 4, 187lb (started at 210lb), body fat 45.5% :ohwell: I've worked out, using the site your suggested (the second, more accurate method using body fat %) my BMR as being 1371

Although I am at the gym most days at the moment I have set my activity level to the lowest so that if i excersize I eat my calories back and if I don't exercise I still know my calories. So that makes my TDEE 1645

At the moment my calorie goal is 1400 (not including exercise calories) which is about at my BMR. Is it ok for my calories to be a bit lower like this as I am obese? Should they perhaps be even lower? On the days i exercise I try and eat back the calories but sometimes I save them and go over at the weekend instead.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    This is such a great thread, thank you Dan. I think I get everything you've said and it is extremely helpful.

Can anyone give me a bit more info for the obese. I notice in a lot of threads there is a suggestion that if you are very obese the "rules" may be slightly different. I don't suppose anyone can ellaborate on this a bit with advice and information tailored to those of us with rather a lot more spare fat? :laugh:

I am 5ft 4, 187lb (started at 210lb), body fat 45.5% :ohwell: I've worked out, using the site your suggested (the second, more accurate method using body fat %) my BMR as being 1371

Although I am at the gym most days at the moment I have set my activity level to the lowest so that if i excersize I eat my calories back and if I don't exercise I still know my calories. So that makes my TDEE 1645

At the moment my calorie goal is 1400 (not including exercise calories) which is about at my BMR. Is it ok for my calories to be a bit lower like this as I am obese? Should they perhaps be even lower? On the days i exercise I try and eat back the calories but sometimes I save them and go over at the weekend instead.

Drow elves are hot...just sayin....
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katlynx6
    katlynx6 Posts: 68
    Options
    bump
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Drow elves are hot...just sayin....

Agreed. If I realy looked like my profile pic I would have no issues here :laugh:
  • krockwell
    krockwell Posts: 34
    Options
    Oh man... I am SO utterly confused, and overwhelmed!!

Anyone care to help me out with this?

Heigh 5'10
    CW: 238.8
    BF% according to the site 47.4%

I'm a stay at home mom, but sit a LOT.

Work out 1/2 hr most days (5/7) running usually 5mph for 15 minutes, 3.5mph for the other 15. No weights, no anything else.

Anyone care to punch the numbers for me? I'm so confused at what I SHOULD be eating/not eating!

At least 1700 daily.

Ill type it out again.
    military body fat calf first.
    take that info to the BMR tool.
    use the match mcgartle number as your BMR.
    NEVER eat below this number.

At the bottom of the page is a list of activity settings from sedentary to very active.
    You would want to use the light activity factor.
    eat exactly what that number is daily.
    if you work out and log your activity be sure to eat back if the net is below BMR.
    this is a simple concept unless you start overthinking things.

A quick example:
    My BMR is close to 1600.
    I'm moderately active and F2F is giving me 2000 calories to eat daily.
    so if I eat this number I should lose weight.
    if I go for an hour HIIT routine and burn 600 calories that puts my NET at 1400.
    this isbelow my BMR.
    I now have to eat AT LEAST 200 calories to first get to BMR.
    But with the knowledge that eating at BMR is still not enough to fuelmy activities I should still eat a little more.

presetting diaries the day before a training day is a surefire way to make sure you eat the proper amount of food the next day.
    if you look at today's diary you'll see its front loaded for a huge breakfast 1300 and a big lunch.
    I know that my lifting routine uses about 200 calories so ive accounted for that and will eat up to 3k today to stimulate lean mass growth.

To keep it simple.
    Always eat above BMR and try to get the calories goal daily.

thank you for this! :)
  • Sjvarley123
    Sjvarley123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    BUMP - and thanks for posting!
  • msminkee
    msminkee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • JoKool
    JoKool Posts: 7
    Options