Mega Millions...What would you do with the money??

Options

Replies

• Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I bought some lottery tickets for the first time in like 10 years...lol
    If I were to win:

20 Million: Dental needs for middle class income people in Maine (Its a huuuuge issue here. Almost no business carries dental insurance here)

20 Million: Make a wish foundation

60 Million: Shiners

5 million: Each family member

1 Million: The lady who sold me the winning ticket

The rest, hrmm, a couple houses, a few cars....I don't know what else I would do. I would probably open a no-kill animal shelter.

Money is nothing unless you do something good with it.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    hm, first, I would complain about how much they were taking for taxes:tongue: $320 million as a lump sum-
    Then I would quit my job and DH would quit his job, split the money with our families, set up accounts for our friends and travel and then probably start a foundation that would try to help the world somehow...
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i would pay back our parents, pay off bills, buy new cars, open bank accounts for my kids for the future, buy a summer house in CO, take a vacation to europe, and donate some to various animal shelters..oh, and finally get into school..the rest would sit in the bank until we needed it:happy:

*i would also buy a plane, and take flying lessons so that we could go visit our families more often
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    1) Pay tithes to a church
    2) Pay off all of our debt.
    3) Take my mom & husband to Holland (Mom's dream)
    4) Take my husband & son to a Sandals resort somewhere cozy & warm
    5) Build our dream house
    6) Quit my job & return to school for my business degree
    7) Build my photography shop & pay cash for all the necessary equipment
    8) Pay off my brother's student loan
    9) Pay off my other brother's house
    10) Set up college funds for my nieces & nephews.
    11) Set up myself, my husband & my son for financial success for the rest of our lives.
    12) And last but certainly not least, I'd have my husband quit that danged job of his.
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Build a house out in the country, put up a shop and barn, buy me a new truck (hubby likes his old one), a couple 4 wheelers, horses and pigs for my kids, pay off my family and friends' bills and give them some, donate a bunch to the church, put some away for the kids, give some to my friends and family with kids for them to put away for their kids, save some and donate the rest.
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    Nice... I'd lawyer up, get custody of my kids (this is after I had my trust claim the money so it wasn't my income for child support of course), I have a list of non-extradition treatied countries failing that...

Can you say... "Columbian Drug Lord"?
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Hopefully, I would do the right thing...

:-/

This right here - definitely what I would do.
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Enjoy being debt free!
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Buy a huge lot of land and build our dream house on it. Well, before that pay off all our debt and my parent's and husbands parent's debt, since they supported us through all of our craziness. Put money away for my boy's college. Hire a maid and chef. Buy nice cars. pay off my brother's college loans. Donate to charities. Random acts of kindness. Travel around the world. Lots of things... that is an insane amount of money.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I don't think all the money in the world could buy me what I most want... Cures for my son and brother, both have chronic lifelong illnesses. But I'd definitely donate tons of $ to try to find them cures. I'd put money aside for their treatments, money aside for my kids, nieces and nephews college funds and have some fun with the rest.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I would pay you all to post more cleavage pics. I love the women of MFP!!!

Are you serious???
  • elwinberry
    Options
    First and foremost TITHE. Then I would build a house that included an apartment attached for my Mom. Pay for my brothers care who has ALS. Start a missions group to help sex slave crimes here in America. Missions to help the homeless to rehabilitate them. Also hire a personal chef to make healthier meal for myself and family. Also a personal gym so we can workout. The rest into savings. I would want it for the future of my children and Grandchildren. I think I would take one vacation to South Carolina were my husband has always wanted to go. Somewhere with a beach. Not one really for material things. Cant take them with me in the end. Just my emotional happiness. Just want to be able to pay bills without worry.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    first pay off any and all debt that me and my boyfriend have, buy us both new cars (we both drive old piece of junk), buy a nice house that's big enough for us (not huge) near the town i grew up, buy a bunch of new clothes, stuff for the house (furniture, decor, etc.), probably invest and live a good life, go on vacations see the world, nothing too crazy..just normal ****.
  • Chrisborro
    Options
    Relocate my mom and grans grave stuffs to near me so i can visit all the time.. Donate, invest, live dreamily
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Travel the world anonymously giving it away!!
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Wow, although y'all are saying a lot, it's small change compared to how much you'd make!

Think of it this way, at least in CO, the current amount you'd get for the lump sum (after taxes) is around $328 million.

If you gave 10 people 1% of that, each of them would get $3.3 million and you'd still have almost $300 million!

Also, taxes are paid by the giver, not the recipient, so YOU would pay taxes on that $3.3 million, not them....assuming you bought a house or college, those are also considered taxable, btw. So even if you did pay taxes for all of them, you'd still be up to around $34-35 million spent total.

That would mean you'd have $293 million left. If you are currently 35 and live another 60 years (totally doable), you could spend around $94,000 a week for the rest of your life!

Personally, I don't think most people even understand these numbers - and of course the math above doesn't factor in how much you'd make investing it (and even at a conservative 5% - with paying 15% taxes on those investments - you'd still make $25,000 per week on the bulk of your money, so really you'd be making around $120,000 a week for the rest of your life!

I'd travel, buy tailor made clothes, help others, and invest wisely.
  • 1DEH
    1DEH Posts: 23
    Options
    Put it in the bank and live off the interest... and live VERY well off the interest. $460M cash payout, $230M after taxes give or take, and put that in a measly 1% interest bearing account is 2.3M a year. That would be more than enough to live in an amazing house, drive an amazing car and do just about anything you want with.... at least by my standards. It would be quite fun.

This.
  • sexyrosey
    sexyrosey Posts: 137
    Options
    I would pay you all to post more cleavage pics. I love the women of MFP!!!

I would so take that LOL
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I don't think all the money in the world could buy me what I most want... Cures for my son and brother, both have chronic lifelong illnesses. But I'd definitely donate tons of $ to try to find them cures. I'd put money aside for their treatments, money aside for my kids, nieces and nephews college funds and have some fun with the rest.

:heart: :flowerforyou:
  • hdrider8968
    Options
    After taxes and such... I'd give 95% away... And yes after an extended vacation on my new Harley trike around the USA I'd go back to work.