Expectations

Options

Replies

• ESP12
    ESP12 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Great reminder, thanks. Going for the long haul!
  • emstgm
    emstgm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This was very timely for me!
  • mummy2dolly
    Options
    a very interesting and informative read - thank you :)
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • JenCat162
    JenCat162 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SWilland
    SWilland Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    bump
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Amandajp79
    Amandajp79 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump
  • angiestoltmanlee
    angiestoltmanlee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bumping so I'll remember to read it every so often. I'm happily in Phase 5 and can use this reminder!
  • angiestoltmanlee
    angiestoltmanlee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    also adding this amendment Banks later posted:

"Oh, I almost forgot:

Phase 6: Maintenance

So this one is probably the hardest of all, not because any particular portion of it is difficult, but there are a few demoralizing aspects to it. First, most of us have spent so long overweight and trying to lose weight, seeing the scale stagnant at one spot for a long time (even if it's our goal weight), can have a negative effect. Second, here is where we look at the big picture, and there are no more goals to try to attain, so the "What now" mentality really comes into play. It's hard enough to stay focused when you have a goal in sight, it's ten times harder when there is nothing left to shoot for. At this point it's a mental game. If you want to avoid YoYoing, you need to find things you really enjoy, both food wise and exercise wise, that take the chore aspect out of a healthy lifestyle. I am smack in the middle of this stage right now, and since my main exercise is Baseball, I am doing anything and everything to bide my time until I can get outside 2 to 3 times a week with the team to practice. There is really no "sure fire" answer to this stage. You just have to be concious of the fact that it's not going to get a heck of a lot easier and you just need to buckle down and ramp up the things you enjoy that will help keep you fit!

Hope this helps."
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    This is brilliant. I'm only in Phase 2, but it really does feel discouraging seeing the higher numbers start dwindling. But I'm liking that I can use this post/topic to just keep going :)

Thanks for posting it :D
  • jenmfpal
    jenmfpal Posts: 124
    Options
    Wow, I'm not new to MFP or to the 'journey' but I'm so glad I happened upon this! Thanks for writing it!
  • Michaelarforbes
    Options
    I need to remember this. Thanks for the info:)
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Great stuff, thank you! I printed it out and will refer to it often, I'm sure!
  • Nadine14040
    Nadine14040 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • Mandie69
    Mandie69 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think this is the best advice that anyone starting the healthy life style needs. It can be hard going and you will stop but keep going nd it will all come good in the end!!
    I am just going through a seperation at the moment, basically we are still together but living apart which is hard emotionally and also for eating habits. Over the last 6 weeks i have managed to maintain and not found it too difficult by keeping the healthy eating up also having a little bit of what you fancy (but not too much!!) and keeping up with some exercise. Now I am feeling a bit more positive i am now about to kick start my plan and hopefully lose the next 21lbs!!!
  • ahelland21
    ahelland21 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump!! This really puts things in perspective!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    for the record, I am Banks1850 (the person who created the original post).

boy, that was a long time ago, every time I read it I think, "man I'd like to change this, or add that..." but in general this post has held up well.

I'm no longer a "7 month veteran" lol, now I'm a 5 year veteran and a Personal Trainer who has mentored hundreds of folks on this site.

So if any of you guys have questions about this post (or any of my posts) feel free to PM me or reply, I still read replies to it. And don't forget to go back to the original and look about 3/4 the way down page 1 for my "maintenance" phase (phase 6 I think) that I added on after the fact.

-Banks