Eating Disorder Recovery (A Different Sort of Success Story)

Options
ajufew.jpg

See this photo? It’s me.

No, I'm not a model. I'm not terribly skinny, but I'm not terribly fat. I'm not extraordinarily beautiful, and my hair doesn't always lay flat. In fact, in terms of looks, I'm pretty darn average. This is the first photo I've ever shared publicly in association with my eating disorder, and I'm posting it for a very specific reason: I want you all to see my smile. Why? Because this is the first photo in months, maybe even a year, that honestly captured a genuine smile.

Want to know why? I'm now over two months into recovery for my eating disorder, and I am honestly so genuinely happy that I wanted to share.

Looking at this photo, you wouldn't know that just a few months ago I was eating too few calories per day to function. My hair was falling out, my body couldn't heal itself, I was failing my classes, and I hated everyone, most of all myself. Every morning was a struggle to shower without passing out, and every night was a fight to stay awake long enough to do even a tiny bit of homework. I was miserable, and despite the fact that my disorder was born of an obsession with control, I had zero control over my own life.

I won't lie: the past two months haven't been easy. In fact, they've been downright challenging. I've cried myself to sleep, spent hours alone staring at food, and sworn I'd give up on recovery a thousand times over. The number of bagels I've eaten is astonishing, if not terrifying, and I've eaten more almonds in two months than most people will in their entire life. I've been grouchy, bloated, and so moody you'd've thought I was pregnant.

But you know what else I've been? Myself. I'm slowly rediscovering the person I was before I let this manipulative, mean, lying voice in my head take over my entire life. This girl loves Nutella, and baking, and cuddling without worrying if her stomach has a roll. She likes back rubs and bikinis and bacon, strapless dresses and sundaes and sleeping naked. So she doesn't wear a 00 or have a BMI below 20 - that's okay! There's so much more to life than counting calories or staring at numbers on a scale, and she's starting to understand that.

Is she perfect? Hell no, and she never will be... and that's okay. There are good days and there are bad days, but the grass truly is greener over here. Recovery is hard, but it's so, so worth it. You only get out of it what you put into it, and I can honestly say I've given it 110% of my effort. You know what else can be said? The grass is greener where you water it. Sure, putting enough food in my mouth each day is half the battle, but the more challenging battle is against myself and this liar who's taken up residence in my head. I'm having to rewrite the script of my daily thoughts, and undoing years of negative self-talk is no easy task. That said, I am already a hundred times happier than I was two months ago. Two months certainly isn't far into the recovery process, and I know I have a great ways left to go. That being said, taking that first step towards recovery is the best decision I've ever made, and I can only wish the same for everyone else, whether you struggle with an eating disorder or are simply trying to get a handle on loving yourself and moving in the right direction with your health habits.

I wish for each of you that you may learn to love yourself and have the courage to seek help with whatever you need. Rest assured in the fact that you are stronger than you realize. Do not be too proud to ask for help, and know that you are loved.

Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need.
-Khalil Gibran

Replies

• hoosier_red
    Options
    I'm so glad that you're in recovery and doing so well. Yes, it will be difficult at times, horribly so. But you're proving with every day that you are stronger, smarter, and better than that horrid voice in your head, and you will overcome it. {{hugs}}
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on your recovery and having the courage to post on here about the battle you have fought.

You are gorgeous and could easily be a model - thankfully just not one of those super skinny ones that you want to send food to. You're smile (which is quite obviously genuine) could light up an entire town, let alone a room and you look absolutely stunning.

Keep up the good fight and thank you for sharing your story :flowerforyou:
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting your story!!! May you be forever blessed with good health, love for yourself and from others!!! :0)
  • ericasmith64
    ericasmith64 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    WELL GOOD FOR YOU
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS girlie i'm so happy for you :D
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You look perfect! Congratulations on your recovery thus far, and keep it up! That beautiful smile should never be hidden!
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    You are very beautiful! Such an inspiring story and so happy for you to have discovered such an important lesson about life and who you are. I hope the struggle gets easier and enjoy the rest of your life now you've taken it back :) xxx
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your recovery. You look amazing, healthy and happy. x
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Kick....*kitten*.

Splendid achievement.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would disagree with is................. you not average your "stronger" and I see a beautiful young woman.

Thanks for putting yourself out there to help others.
  • missbabygirlx
    Options
    Well done!! Totally amazing and a great inspiration to other people!!
  • joebanker24
    joebanker24 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on bringing back that smile and your achievements! Keep going with your progress.
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You truly are inspiring. Any time I feel like relapsing back into old habits, I should take the time to re-read this. Thank you for sharing :3
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am motivated by your story. Nothing is better than self-acceptance. You look great and it shows in your eyes!!!
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Amazing post! You are an inspiration to all who are struggling with eds. I wish you continued success and strength on this most difficult journey xx
  • Tasha_uk
    Tasha_uk Posts: 70
    Options
    I actually cried reading this. well done! you are doing very well x
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! One of the best successes I have read! You are beautiful!
  • Angelhurt
    Angelhurt Posts: 24
    Options
    Your smile says it all......many blessings to you... and always keep smiling :) i hope i can smile like that one day xxx
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Your story is very inspirational and you look beautiful.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I can relate with the daily struggle of recovery. Mine isn't for an ED, but for drugs, and your story is very inspiring! You are stronger than average and keep fighting, you are worth it! Congrats on your success and keep smiling! Well done!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!