CrossFit

Options

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    It is one thing to overcome a fear that is really holding you back in life-- like a fear of flying or a fear of the dark, or something like that.

But I don't refuse to do box jumps out of fear -- I refuse to do them out of common sense! In my life, I have absolutely no need to jump on boxes. So to me, doing box jumps would come under the catagory of taking unnecessary risks.

One time an instructor at a boot camp class at the Y tried to get me to do box jumps. I refused, and I have never regretted it.

Yes, there are risks I am willing to take in life. But personally, I don't believe in doing highly risky things that have little or no real benefit.

I completely get what you are saying and where you are coming from. I guess I just want to do these things just for their own sake and the fun of it, not a need to do them. And man do they gas me out like nothing else, works every stinking part of my body and really screws with my neuromuscular coordination. I see this as something to overcome and a real benefit physically and mentally.

And I like to overcome fears whether they hold me back in life or not. When I see a weakness in myself i tend to become a bit ferocious/hardheaded to overcome. The boost I get from it propels me and gives me courage to take on larger things that could be in my way in life. It may seem silly but I've found it's what works for me. And scars are one thing I'm not afraid of.

I love how everyone is different :)

save your breath. health gal/ rachel is a huuuuuuuge anti-crossfit person. she's never taken a class, and never will.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It is one thing to overcome a fear that is really holding you back in life-- like a fear of flying or a fear of the dark, or something like that.

But I don't refuse to do box jumps out of fear -- I refuse to do them out of common sense! In my life, I have absolutely no need to jump on boxes. So to me, doing box jumps would come under the catagory of taking unnecessary risks.

One time an instructor at a boot camp class at the Y tried to get me to do box jumps. I refused, and I have never regretted it.

Yes, there are risks I am willing to take in life. But personally, I don't believe in doing highly risky things that have little or no real benefit.

I completely get what you are saying and where you are coming from. I guess I just want to do these things just for their own sake and the fun of it, not a need to do them. And man do they gas me out like nothing else, works every stinking part of my body and really screws with my neuromuscular coordination. I see this as something to overcome and a real benefit physically and mentally.

And I like to overcome fears whether they hold me back in life or not. When I see a weakness in myself i tend to become a bit ferocious/hardheaded to overcome. The boost I get from it propels me and gives me courage to take on larger things that could be in my way in life. It may seem silly but I've found it's what works for me. And scars are one thing I'm not afraid of.

I love how everyone is different :)

save your breath. health gal/ rachel is a huuuuuuuge anti-crossfit person. she's never taken a class, and never will.

Exactly - it's like trying to argue with a brick wall

I don't know why she fixates on things that are very basic generalizations about Crossfit.

I have been going for 3 months and none of the workouts I have made me question if I should do something or not. I've even been successful in talking my coach into letting me row instead of running on WOD's that have running.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    There are two articles you should read before considering Crossfit:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_investigative/the_truth_about_crossfit (the most fair article I've read)

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_investigative/crossed_up_by_crossfit {explanation of how ridiculously easy it is to become Crossfit "certified")

My big concern about Crossfit is that to become certified to instruct, all you have to do is pay $1000 and attend a weekend seminar with no pass/fail test. So you really don't know the background of the person teaching you and who is responsible for keeping you safe while doing some highly technical exercises.

Crossfit type workouts are great, but you REALLY need to do research on your local Crossfit gym or just do the workouts for free off the website.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options

I don't know why she fixates on things that are very basic generalizations about Crossfit.

I have been going for 3 months and none of the workouts I have made me question if I should do something or not. I've even been successful in talking my coach into letting me row instead of running on WOD's that have running.

Maybe they teach a more moderate version of Crossfit at your gym. But in general, the Crossfit organization is all about pushing people to do things to the extreme. If you had seen some of the "results" of Crossfit workouts -- unnecessary injuries that keep people out of action for weeks, if not months, some requiring extensive surgery to repair, you would feel the same way about Crossfit that I do.

If Crossfit was just about having a lot of variety in an exercise program without the extreme, "do it or die" attitude, that would be great. But unfortunately, Crossfit is what it is.

And in time, people will get tired of paying their over priced membership fees and being so tired and sore they can barely stand up after a workout, and Crossfit will die out, just like all the other exercise fads that have come and gone.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Everyone that is thinking about doing Crossfit should read this article from the NY Times:

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all
  • thefuzz1290
    Options
    Everyone that is thinking about doing Crossfit should read this article from the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all

You already posted that article once in this threat, please stop. I'm not a Crossfit fan, but stop beating a dead horse!
  • 53cindy
    53cindy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too docrossfit and have never seen results like i have and i have tried it all go for it.
  • Razkler14
    Razkler14 Posts: 74
    Options
    I crossfit and I love it! Results are amazing! Crossfit is for any and everyone truly! Don't be scared! The thing is you will need to explore different crossfit gyms in your area because it is hugely important that they gym have a well trained and certified coach. You need to be taught proper form for each movement before you are able to jump into a fully RX'd workout. If your form is not spot on and you are unable to check your ego at the door you will hurt yourself. A good coach will not allow this to happen and will scale each workout to each athletes need and watch your progress and adjust accordingly. The problem is that a because crossfit has become all the rage right now, folks who really don't care about people but are looking to make a quick buck are becoming coaches, people are getting hurt, and the real crossfit culture is totally lost.

I say if your interested, go check it out. I was a lil nervous at first as well but now that I have been doing it for a while, I regret not tryin it sooner. I go 5 days a week and have never looked back at what I used to do.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Crossfit is NOT for everyone. That is a lie the Crossfit people have been trying to sell the public on for years to get more membership.

Crossfit is for people that have a "do it or die trying" mentality and like to exercise until they are too sore and tired to move or breathe. They don't care if they are so sore they can barely walk the next day.. Some people like to push to that degree when they exercise. And like many other things in this "fast food" age, they want results FAST.

On the other hand, there are many people like me that do not want an exercise program that forces them to use up every bit of energy and completely exausts them. Personally, I would take the slow, safe approach to fitness over fast, but painful and dangerous "Crossfit results" any day!
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    and like to exercise until they are too sore and tired to move or breathe. They don't care if they are so sore they can barely walk the next day.. Some people like to push to that degree when they exercise.
    May be its the Military in me, but if your not pushing yourself hard then your not going to truly better yourself.

I do agree its not for everyone
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i found this to actually be a really pretty good and reasonably fair article.

The only part I would really disagree with is this "The emphasis is on speed and weight hoisted, not technique."

I can only speak to my gym and trainer but we spend a great deal on technique, form, and biomechanics to limit injury and enhance proper body mechanics in all activities in and out of the gym.

Speed and weight are emphasized, but not until technique is addressed thoroughly.

I feel much safer at that gym learning proper mechanics and techniques and having my trainer watch and provide feedback than doing something on my own or in a traditional gym.

But as others have stated, there are problems with the certification process, it's all about finding a good box and trainer, just like anything else.

And yeah, it's not for everyone, but I don't say that to mean it's exclusive to certain ages or abilities, we have all ranges that are being successful. It's more about personality.
  • thefuzz1290
    Options
    Are you talking about the T-Nation article or the NYT article? I'm assuming the 2nd T-Nation article I posted. That concerned me too. They teach proper form, but then tell them that if they're doing proper form, they're doing the exercise too slow.

Now onto pushing yourself, there's nothing wrong with that, but pushing yourself to the point where you are basically useless is just plain stupid. They show videos of Crossfitters doing a bunch of exercises and their palms are bleeding and hands useless. Sure they did 100 kipling pull-ups, but at what cost? You still have to have a life outside of Crossfit.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    My son did it and lost 70lbs to get into the Navy....he loved it. I would never join but that is just because it is not my style. If you are interested try it. I think it is a great thing for the right people, and lets face it...something is better than nothing and you might as well enjoy what you are doing.
    9sfpxy.jpg
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the T-Nation article or the NYT article? I'm assuming the 2nd T-Nation article I posted. That concerned me too. They teach proper form, but then tell them that if they're doing proper form, they're doing the exercise too slow.

Now onto pushing yourself, there's nothing wrong with that, but pushing yourself to the point where you are basically useless is just plain stupid. They show videos of Crossfitters doing a bunch of exercises and their palms are bleeding and hands useless. Sure they did 100 kipling pull-ups, but at what cost? You still have to have a life outside of Crossfit.

NY Times was the one I was referring to.

Like I said, it's not for every personality/attitude but many love it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

You already posted that article once in this threat, please stop. I'm not a Crossfit fan, but stop beating a dead horse!
    That's all this poster does...searches for Crossfit threads and then proceeds to rant about how bad it is. Not sure why she's so obsessed, but it appears to be a mission for her.

Crossfit can be done at your own pace, and nobody can force a (non-military) grown up to do something they don't want to do, simply in the name of fitness!
  • Health_Gal
    Options

That's all this poster does...searches for Crossfit threads and then proceeds to rant about how bad it is. Not sure why she's so obsessed, but it appears to be a mission for her.

Crossfit can be done at your own pace, and nobody can force a (non-military) grown up to do something they don't want to do, simply in the name of fitness!

Actually, that is not all I do. You haven o idea what my missions in life are and why, but believe it or not, they are not all related to educating people about the problems and dangers associated with Crossfit. BTW, I hate to see that Crossfit organization, which is extreme by nature, getting all these corporate sponsorships that should be going to organizations that really deserve it and help people to get fit and stay healthy in sensible ways that are not overly extreme.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Actually, that is not all I do. You haven o idea what my missions in life are and why, but believe it or not, they are not all related to educating people about the problems and dangers associated with Crossfit. BTW, I hate to see that Crossfit organization, which is extreme by nature, getting all these corporate sponsorships that should be going to organizations that really deserve it and help people to get fit and stay healthy in sensible ways that are not overly extreme.

697-u-jelly.png
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

You know what would be awesome...if you stick with talking about things you personally have done - in previous Crossfit topics you have never said you have ever done a crossfit class for a period of time - to justify things you say...in previous topics you have mentioned how friends have done crossfit and somehow couldn't run in a race. Just like anything else there are "extremists"...but to call everyone who does Crossfit an extremist....or to generalize that every Crossfit place is going to push you so hard you are going to break bones or harm yourself...is quite frankly ridiculous...furthermore, a lot of the more extreme things you see posted as Crossfit on the internet are 1) not beginners and 2) far more extreme workouts than what is done on any normal day....

My workout on

Friday
    Clean 3 2 1 1 1
    Front Squat 3 3 3 3 3

Sunday
    Strict Press 3 2 1
    Push Press 3 2 1
    Jerk 1 1 1

Today
    Strict press 4 4 4 4
    row 500m (max effort)
    row 200m X 2 (at 500 pace)

I choose what weights to start out and if i want to add weights - my coach is there to make sure my form is proper and to encourage me...in some cases s/he may encourage me to add weights...in other cases s/he may suggest backing off the weight and work more on the form...because at it's core Crossfit is Strength Training...form is more important then adding a ton of weight just to say you lifted a certain amount...if someone is going to a Crossfit box where they yell at you and encourage you to lift something more than what you feel comfortable with then I would be the first to tell you get away from there....of course the same thing could be said for ANY exercise class where you have a trainer who would yell at you or push you beyond a place you don't feel comfortable with...

Things like Reebok partnering with Crossfit and I have seen some of their commercials - personally I believe what they show in their commercials are more the exception and not the rule for most crossfit workouts...

I have friends that run on a daily basis - they are constantly iceing thier knees, straining foot muscles...hell my one friend broke her tailbone simply from running...and there are a number of articles out there that explain how running can have a detrimental effect to someone's body - I have never run personally nor do I want to...but i don't go on the running threads and tell people it is a horrible form of exercise and it is going to lead to them being hurt and sore all the time....BECAUSE I DON"T DO IT.....
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

You know what would be awesome...if you stick with talking about things you personally have done - in previous Crossfit topics you have never said you have ever done a crossfit class for a period of time - to justify things you say...in previous topics you have mentioned how friends have done crossfit and somehow couldn't run in a race. Just like anything else there are "extremists"...but to call everyone who does Crossfit an extremist....or to generalize that every Crossfit place is going to push you so hard you are going to break bones or harm yourself...is quite frankly ridiculous...furthermore, a lot of the more extreme things you see posted as Crossfit on the internet are 1) not beginners and 2) far more extreme workouts than what is done on any normal day....

My workout on

Friday
    Clean 3 2 1 1 1
    Front Squat 3 3 3 3 3

Sunday
    Strict Press 3 2 1
    Push Press 3 2 1
    Jerk 1 1 1

Today
    Strict press 4 4 4 4
    row 500m (max effort)
    row 200m X 2 (at 500 pace)

I choose what weights to start out and if i want to add weights - my coach is there to make sure my form is proper and to encourage me...in some cases s/he may encourage me to add weights...in other cases s/he may suggest backing off the weight and work more on the form...because at it's core Crossfit is Strength Training...form is more important then adding a ton of weight just to say you lifted a certain amount...if someone is going to a Crossfit box where they yell at you and encourage you to lift something more than what you feel comfortable with then I would be the first to tell you get away from there....of course the same thing could be said for ANY exercise class where you have a trainer who would yell at you or push you beyond a place you don't feel comfortable with...

Things like Reebok partnering with Crossfit and I have seen some of their commercials - personally I believe what they show in their commercials are more the exception and not the rule for most crossfit workouts...

I have friends that run on a daily basis - they are constantly iceing thier knees, straining foot muscles...hell my one friend broke her tailbone simply from running...and there are a number of articles out there that explain how running can have a detrimental effect to someone's body - I have never run personally nor do I want to...but i don't go on the running threads and tell people it is a horrible form of exercise and it is going to lead to them being hurt and sore all the time....BECAUSE I DON"T DO IT.....

1330912219544.gif
  • mrsalisonwd
    Options
    Keep it up, lady! That's awesome! I love Crossfit too and am just starting back since having my daughter (19 months ago, no judgies:-) Good luck at the gym this week!!! :-)