Can i move to USA with my degree?

Options

Replies

• ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Start shopping around for employment based in the US, and work yourself into a unique and marketable skillset so you stand out from the crowd. Many American employers are hiring from overseas now for skilled positions that are hard to find in the US.

If that's not possible, then I would consider trying to go to graduate studies here so you can make some connections and weasel your way into a job.

^^^ This !

Graduates often obtain work at a US company (specially of they worked as Interns while finishing their schooling)
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You can marry me. :flowerforyou:

Haha! I realise marriage is an option but I am only a young 19 and not really looking for that quite yet! I have travelled to the US a lot and love it there compared to Scotland. :)

Dude, really? I wouldn't leave Scotland for America xD I enjoy free health care too much.
  • crochelle17
    crochelle17 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    first off i think ur nuts! lol, i married a brit thinking id get to move over there and im still here in the US! ahh! anyway, seriously, look into companies that you could transfer with. I have heard that it is getting harder to just come over here and take jobs unless you transfer with a company. Apparently there are rumors that too many foreigners are taking american jobs, even though the foreigner may have the exact skill sets needed for the job. Eh, its just all politics.

Marrying an american isnt an easy fix!! its expensive! and the paperwork is just nuts!!! that being said.. it was totally worth it ;)
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    if i were thinking of moving out...and i am in europe like you i would go to der deutschland. Much better. You won't find a better country than germany.
  • AndrewXB9
    AndrewXB9 Posts: 114
    Options
    Tanks guys. Any more advice?:)
  • AndrewXB9
    Options
    People n Yahoo answers are telling me its nealy impossible to move to USA without a job, etc... Is this true?

So much mixed Information :/
  • crochelle17
    crochelle17 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    thats what ive heard, your best bet is to get in with a company there and look for a transfer as soon as you can
  • KBside
    KBside Posts: 45
    Options
    Where I use to work we had an engineer who was able to be here in the US because they sponsered him. Start looking for companies here in the US. Not sure how it is done though. I have a friend who designs games for XBOX. Unfortunately his company just closed. Good Luck to you!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Why not go to Rovio with your gaming degree in Finland?

Also, might want to check out what EA, Bioware, Blizzard, etc have going on with regards to their internships.
    Do your homework, it seems like gaming degrees are starting to really take off so it would help to maybe visit these gaming companies before even thinking about moving here?

Have you researched all the gaming companies to see what is open? What they are looking for, etc?
  • AndrewXB9
    Options
    Why not go to Rovio with your gaming degree in Finland?

Also, might want to check out what EA, Bioware, Blizzard, etc have going on with regards to their internships.
    Do your homework, it seems like gaming degrees are starting to really take off so it would help to maybe visit these gaming companies before even thinking about moving here?

Have you researched all the gaming companies to see what is open? What they are looking for, etc?

I have researched a few. I know as of last night that Zynga posted on there Twitter that they are looking for Interns.

Rovno would be a nice start.... but Scotland is cold enough for me!

Only thing is, I don't know how long to wait before I apply for an internship. Not sure how much is needed of me before I go.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    What you should do is go to Mexico and then sneak in from the south. The government looks the other way on that. It's only legal immigration that they seem to have a problem with.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    The US is in a recession and is borderline a Puritanical Theocracy (especially if a certain candidate should become President). We have no free health care. The middle class is getting poorer and the wealthiest are getting richer at their expense. Frankly, I think there may well be a revolution in the next few years if things don't change.

We lived in Germany for 1 1/2 years. We'd go back in a heartbeat. The US used to be the land of the free and the land of opportunity. It's not anymore. Politicians are gradually chipping away at the freedoms and opportunity only really exists if you are born with it or marry into it. It's a lot dirtier too. Germany was so clean we were absolutaly amazed. Then we toured through Europe and unless we were in old Eastern Block countries it was always cleaner than anywhere we'd ever been stateside (and that's most of the states) It's not just trash and litter it's air and water quality too.

On the plus side, gas is cheaper (although not by a whole lot anymore and we don't get free healthcare because of the cost) and you can get a lot more house for a lot less money, especially now that we've had the housing market collapse.

What exactly is it that you liked about the US so much? Where have you been?
  • AndrewXB9
    Options
    The US is in a recession and is borderline a Puritanical Theocracy (especially if a certain candidate should become President). We have no free health care. The middle class is getting poorer and the wealthiest are getting richer at their expense. Frankly, I think there may well be a revolution in the next few years if things don't change.

We lived in Germany for 1 1/2 years. We'd go back in a heartbeat. The US used to be the land of the free and the land of opportunity. It's not anymore. Politicians are gradually chipping away at the freedoms and opportunity only really exists if you are born with it or marry into it. It's a lot dirtier too. Germany was so clean we were absolutaly amazed. Then we toured through Europe and unless we were in old Eastern Block countries it was always cleaner than anywhere we'd ever been stateside (and that's most of the states) It's not just trash and litter it's air and water quality too.

On the plus side, gas is cheaper (although not by a whole lot anymore and we don't get free healthcare because of the cost) and you can get a lot more house for a lot less money, especially now that we've had the housing market collapse.

Compared to Scotland I pretty much loved every single aspect of the US. You may think The US sis bad... Try coming to Scotland! You mentioned unemployment... we have under 6million people living here and around 500,000 of them are unemployed. This rose by 7,000 in the first 3 months of 2012.

Prices in the US are cheaper, the shops are better, far more jobs, more opportunities... And I just loved the country.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    You're crazy Sir. I'd move to Canada before I moved to the States. Though, this opinion is biased as I'm Canadian.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Only thing is, I don't know how long to wait before I apply for an internship. Not sure how much is needed of me before I go.

Call and ask the places that are hosting the internships.

FWIW, I agree with Bahet. I travel to Spain on a regular basis, and if we could afford to move there, we probably would. I'm in love with Madrid and the Atlantic coast of Spain.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Start shopping around for employment based in the US, and work yourself into a unique and marketable skillset so you stand out from the crowd. Many American employers are hiring from overseas now for skilled positions that are hard to find in the US.

If that's not possible, then I would consider trying to go to graduate studies here so you can make some connections and weasel your way into a job.

^^^ This !

Graduates often obtain work at a US company (specially of they worked as Interns while finishing their schooling)

yea, exactly this.
    you scout out and basically get a job before you come over here.. similar to how I would apply for a job in another state and move there if I get it... alot of email, phone, etc.. and maybe a meeting or two face to face first.. maybe not.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    There is a lot of demand for software developers in the USA. When you say your degree is "computer game development", are you saying that you write code to develop games? If so, your skill set is valuable and you could even move on to other types of software product development even if you don't end up developing games here. I know nothing about the visa process though, so can't help you there.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I think you're a bit mad too. The US seems great when you're on holiday, but trust me, living there is a completely different game. No healthcare, and horrible working conditions - nowhere near as much holiday as UK, longer hours, easier to just sack employees) are the biggest two things. As for cost, it's cheap to a tourist who earns £'s converts them to $'s and makes holiday type purchases, but in reality actually living there is really not any cheaper, fuel seems cheaper, but you do lots of miles, health insurance (unless you have an awesome employer and even then you have copays and deductables) and things like property taxes are way higher than in the UK.

Also you imagine it to be a similar culture because of the language, but in reality it is not at all. Holidaying there and living there are definitely completely different experiences.

How do I know this, I'm a Brit, and I have done it.

My other thought is that in the games industry, the UK is actually a fairly big player, so moving may not necessarily be the best thing.

Ignoring the above, if you want to do it, you realistically have a few choices:

H1B - After you finish school find an employee who will sponsor you. The requirements for this are a 4 year degree or equivalent experience, so you meet the criteria, however getting an employee to sponsor is the hard bit. The best way to do this will be through networking, but basically think of it this way - Why would the employee hire you, when it will cost them somewhere between $10-$20k to sponsor the visa (for a H1B they have to pay, so you can't do this for them). If there people who can already do what you do who are in the US, you will need a niche. In the meantime, work on this niche.

L1 A\B - Get a job with a company that has a presence in the UK\US then after a year, you will be able to get an L1 A\B visa to transfer if you can get in a position where the company will do that.

F1 \ Student - After your degree, do postgrad studying in the US. This will give you a chance to network, but you will be very limited in what work you can do, and you have to show you have the funds for schooling up front. This will be very expensive (think tens of thousands of $'s ).

K1 - Marry a US girl. Only do this if you actually fall in love with the right person, don't commit immigration fraud.

Realistically, thats pretty much it, unless you have loads of money that you can afford to lose ($250k+) and would be willing to set up your own US business.

It's not a particularly easy country to get into, but if you work at it, you can get there. If you have any questions about any of this or whatever, feel free to ask and I will happily share my experiences.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

Compared to Scotland I pretty much loved every single aspect of the US. You may think The US sis bad... Try coming to Scotland! You mentioned unemployment... we have under 6million people living here and around 500,000 of them are unemployed. This rose by 7,000 in the first 3 months of 2012.

Prices in the US are cheaper, the shops are better, far more jobs, more opportunities... And I just loved the country.
    There aren't more jobs. Our unemployment rate is 8.3%. To give you an idea, if our population were 6 million that would mean that 498,000 would be unemployed. Mind you, that doesn't include people who have given up and retired or became at home parents. Nor does it include people who are under employed. I know engineers with master's degrees who are delivering pizza years after being laid off because there is no work for them in their field. My uncle has a master's degree. He worked as a high school counselor. He now works as a gate guard in his neighborhood.

I don't know that prices (except gas and housing and utilities) are really any cheaper. I got some serious sticker shock when we moved back here from Germany. Apparently cows became an endangered species while we were gone because beef and dairy prices doubled or more.

I'm not saying the US is bad. I do like it here. I like that I can travel to different climates and still speak English, buy the same foods, and expect a lot of other similarities.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of demand for software developers in the USA. When you say your degree is "computer game development", are you saying that you write code to develop games? If so, your skill set is valuable and you could even move on to other types of software product development even if you don't end up developing games here. I know nothing about the visa process though, so can't help you there.

as a software developer, i can agree with this.

Heres the hard truth.
    If you have a useful skill.. you can get a good job.
    The largest problem the US has, is a lot of people here have no skill. They cant build anything. They cant fix anything. They cant really DO anything.
    Its been beat into their heads that they need some degree, so they get a degree, but they still dont have any marketable skill.

If you can write software well, I guarantee you can get a job. It may not be writing games, but you can get a good job here and then look for a better one.
    Even during the worst part of this "recession", I still got at least 2 calls from headhunters a month with job offers, and often more then that.