i can't believe i'm writing this ... ppl w/ tattoos

Options

Replies

• Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    All of mine have meaning. Doesn't mean I won't get one in the future just because I like it. Most of my friends tattoos don't have any deep meaning. For me though, thats what inspires me to get them.
  • androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    some of my tattoos have meanings others I just like
  • couturekitty
    couturekitty Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have some that mean something, some that don't and I love them all equally. As long as you aren't going to look down at your arm,leg or whatever and regret your choice, then I think it's all gravy. Some people do piercings, some do tattoos. I am a tattoo gal.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP.
    Some of my tattoos are completely pointless. And when people ask me what it means my typical answer has been
    "It means I was 18 and wanted a tattoo"
    because thats all of them mean.

I had reasons behind getting a few of them, but for the most part, I just thought it looked "cool" or "funny".
  • kimnfrosty5
    kimnfrosty5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    LOL... nope. NOT AT ALL. I thought it would be "cool" to have a 6 inch lizzard on the entire top of my foot, looking like it's going down my foot..LOL .....i still like it...don't care what other people think.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    My husband is a tattoo artist and we have this discussion all the time. I have a mixture. The tattoos for my kids mean something. But I also have a Cthulhu cupcake, a tea pot, a coffee pot, a zombie librarian, an owl, and a black pegasus. The pegasus is something me and my college friends all got, but everything else came from the good ole imagination and it just expresses personality (yes, I am weird).

I think there are two extremes: folks who get crappy, bull**** tattoos just because (my husband said he will scream if he gets one more chick wanting stars on her foot) and then you have people wanting tattoos that are smallish put have a lot of elements and MEAN SOMETHING. I say, keep 'em guessing.

I want to see your Cthulhu cupcake....

I have a few most don't mean anything, one does...I would love sleeves one day.

IMHO, there is NOTHING more deeply meaningful than a Cthulhu cupcake!!!!! SHARE IT WITH THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm actually considering a side piece (ribs down to knee) of Cthulhu....
  • lifeisadancefloor
    lifeisadancefloor Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I was getting fitted for a pair of running shoes a couple weeks ago, this was the conversation:
    Him: "So why sleeves? What do they MEAN?"
    Me: "Why do you have a justin beiber haircut?"
    Him: "Point taken."

YES!!!!!

A couple have a meaning but I mainly got them because I thought it would be neat!
  • tamic1972
    Options
    LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT......I wish I had sleeves....I think that tat's are HOT!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I am getting things that mean something to me. I mean it guess it's just personal preference no?

yeah. 100%. I'm not saying they shouldn't mean anything. My point was just that the most given piece of advice is "make sure it MEANS something". which seems funny to me.

I don't think it's an absolute necessity to 'mean' something, but, since I have several, people who don't have any tend to ask me questions. For people who have none and say they want one, I generally do tell them to get something that will mean something to them. Not that it necessarily needs to have some deep hidden meaning... Just that people who are vacillating and think they want one but don't know what to get... Putting thought into permanent body art isn't a bad idea in my book. What it 'means' to you could be something as simple as you love the way it looks. That means something, at least I think it does. My first one was just a strange flower with a design around it. I got it merely because I wanted a tattoo. I never regretted having it done, but I did get it covered a few years ago. Really because I wanted something that I had more input in, that had 'meaning' for me... I love my tattoos. :heart:
  • simplyliving
    Options
    I have never gotten a tattoo. I am fine with tattoos and know many people with them. I have contemplated getting one, but I always talk myself out of them. Just some nagging thought in the back of my mind telling me "one day you will regret this." LOL!
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    I guess in a way mine all do. B/c if I didn't like it I wouldn't have it on my. So in other words my tattoos mean I like whats there.
  • mickeygirliegirl
    mickeygirliegirl Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    No other deeper meaning for 6 of my tattoos other than I am Irish (not from Ireland, grandparents were though) and they are Irish-based (Shamrock, Claddagh and various Celtic knotwork). The 7th is just a tribal design that the guy I was seeing at the time designed.

And I would like to get more done. Because I like them. There is the deep meaning. I like tattoos. :)
  • steelersfamily6
    steelersfamily6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have tattoos. both arms full sleeved. Among others.

I always end up reading tattoo threads (and stupidly piss myself off) and I always end up reading how people always advice to "get something that MEANS something".

WHY?

Sure, if it means something, awesome. You had something meaningful you wanted immortalize on your skin. Great. But why does it HAVE to? Can't *kitten* just be pretty? (or ugly, or scary, or whatever?) Some of mine do, most of mine, well, I just thought was cool.

When I was getting fitted for a pair of running shoes a couple weeks ago, this was the conversation:

okay, that conversation didn't illustrate my point or question at all, I just found it funny. My real question is ... those WITH tattoos - does all of your ink MEAN something?

Ok so for me yes all my ink means something, even though one of them I wish now I would have never got! Yes I have always said I would only get tattoos that mean something to me, tattoos that illustrate that part of my life. It doesn't mean everyone has to and if you put a tattoo on your body bc you like it doesn't that mean that it meant something to you...lol I want to be sleeved and I can't wait to have the money to it and it will be of things I love or things of significance & yes things that are pretty & cool...lol
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to put my oar in even though the thread is so long no one will end up reading it, lol!

I have three tattoos and NONE of them mean anything. I started off getting one unicorn, but because I was too scared to get the one I really wanted, I ended up getting a different one. Then I wanted a phoenix and then after that one, I got the unicorn I had wanted in the first place. My first tattoo wasn't a whim either. I had wanted a tattoo since I was 16 and hadn't changed my mind when I was 20, so I think 4 years was long enough to decide if it had been a whim.

One thing I will say is: people who get tattoos of their wives/husbands/lovers...how dumb are you? Yes you love them, but if things don't work out, it a pain 'literally' to get them removed. The only names you should have I think are kids names (or maybe mum and dad).
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Maybe he was just making conversation? Sounds like you take offense to someone who doesn't say "omg I love your tats, they rock" lol

heh. no. i didn't take offense at all. Well, to his comment. I was offended by his haircut.

But really, i don't give a fu@k if someone doesn't like my tattoos. I have no idea why you would even say that. (rude people who feel like they need to discuss, ad nauseum, why they don't like tattoos piss me off, but i'm not offended. I just think they are *kitten*.)

Maybe I'm missing it, but asking a question about your tattoos doesn't seem rude.... at least it shouldn't have sparked an insult about his haircut.... just saying.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yes, my Tattoo means something... but I only have one 12" thing down my thigh.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I have one that means a lot to me. It is 3 butterflies to symbolize my children (2 living and 1 angel baby). My second one will be a cross to symbolize my faith and flower around the cross and down my foot (because I think foot tattoos are pretty).

After that I'm not sure how many or where or if they will have meaning or if it is just something I like. We'll cross that bridge when we get there!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I have tattoos. both arms full sleeved. Among others.

I always end up reading tattoo threads (and stupidly piss myself off) and I always end up reading how people always advice to "get something that MEANS something".

WHY?

Sure, if it means something, awesome. You had something meaningful you wanted immortalize on your skin. Great. But why does it HAVE to? Can't *kitten* just be pretty? (or ugly, or scary, or whatever?) Some of mine do, most of mine, well, I just thought was cool.

okay, that conversation didn't illustrate my point or question at all, I just found it funny. My real question is ... those WITH tattoos - does all of your ink MEAN something?

I think the logic behind getting something with meaning is that it won't be as likely to be regretted. If you just get something you think is cool you may outgrow it, and then you're stuck with a tattoo you don't like anymore. That's why teenagers shouldn't get tattoos. Because what's awesome one day may not be awesome the next.

I have one tattoo on my left foot/ankle. It's the Sanskrit symbol "ohm". Hindus believe it is the sound the first god Brahman made to create the universe, so it represents the connection between everything in the universe. I'd like to get another one but since I haven't been able to think of something that means enough to me, I haven't gotten another one.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I would love to get a half sleeved tattoo, why no reason I just think it looks HOT :blushing: but seriously.. I do have some tattoos that have special meaning for me and I have a few just because...
  • razorbecky
    razorbecky Posts: 134
    Options
    I have 3, two of them dont really mean anything. One is a dolphin (just thought it was pretty) and the other is a moon and star
    then I have my initials before i was married, A friend and I both went right after we got engaged

i dont mind people asking