What's the deal with rice hating?

Options

Replies

• emy10284
    emy10284 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Having Mexican rice right now, with chicken cooked in the crock pot all day with tomatoes, bell and jalapeno peppers, spinach, black beans and corn, shredded Mexi-blend cheese, and a side of corn bread. Yummmmmmm. I'm in food-heaven!

seriously want this now
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I have rice in my diet regularly. I even eat some white rice. Sometimes people get hooked on some statements (myths?) about food and tend to think they are "poison". Rice is not "bad" for you. It's just another form of carb. The deal is; you could probably find a more nutritious form of carb to eat than white rice. So, it's not going to kill ya. With me, I don't eat rice all the time, because for the volume vs. calories; I could find something a little more filling for the same calories.
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Rice has been shown to have arsenic in it. I don't avoid it all together (sushi, mmmmmmmm) but if it isn't necessary I skip it.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/02/23/147294466/in-rice-how-much-arsenic-is-too-much
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm Filipino and I :heart: rice. I have it atleast once a week. I'd have it more but my husband is Caucasian and he said he can only have it once in awhile. He's a potato/pasta man anyway. Why did he marry someone who's Asian/Pacific Islander? Lol! My little boys love rice too, yes it can get messy..but that's why I make them clean up after themselves. :wink:
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Great post. I actually watched a TED Talk last night about bread and how it's been improperly demonized recently. We're talking about a staple in the human diet for centuries --- but, suddenly, we all think it's awful for us? I think, to some degree, white varieties of rice have fallen victim to the same conceptions.

The wheat we have offered to us today is Frankenstein / mutant wheat. Can't make the comparison over time like you are trying to do.
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Well I don't eat gluten anymore because I feel much better when I don't...so EVERYTHING I eat is rice based. So I say thank God for rice!! :love:
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Had some Jasmine Rice yesterday with butter chicken - yum!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Anything white is bad if you are trying to lose weight!!

Jesus kills a puppy every time someone falls into a diet myth.

Oh and last time I checked, cauliflower was white...
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I <3 Rice. Sushi rice and brown rice for me. None of that Mahatma BS. I only eat high quality rice. Cheap stuff tastes like crap.
  • delilah47
    Options
    Absolutely love rice. I don't eat the long-grain American rice very much anymore, I have been eating Uzbek rice, which you can only get from Uzbekistan. But I'm sure basmati rice is similar, you know that Indian rice you can get at Indian food markets?

Basmati.. .my absolute favorite rice! yummy
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    nope not a rice hater, complete opposite, I'm a rice lover, brown, white, sticky, fluffy, doesn't matter. I just watch portion control.

it's odd I noticed this post because I was looking up this morning "why is brown rice better for you" and it seems that there is some debate on the topic. White rice is processed and nutrients from the bran or whatever removed but then it is "enriched" so they put some of the nutrients back in. One of the sites I read says this is because if they didn't it wouldn't meet the FDA's standards. Standards of what? Food? So the FDA says it's not food unless it has nutrients in it? What about Doritos, I mean that's not totally nutrient rich. Anyone know what I am talking about and care to shed some light on the subject? I also read that getting most of your fiber from whole grains can "tear up" your insides. hmmm, I eat whole grain bread, brown rice, whole grain pretzels, and whole oats. Oats quite often and rice at least 3 times a week, I don't think there is anything wrong with my digestive track, actually I feel better so I am not sure this is true either.

Here are some of the links I was reading if anyone wants to take a look:

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/what-white-rice-better-than-brown/
    http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20100614/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-better
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Why-Brown-Rice-Better-You-Than-White-Rice-14663025
    http://www.healthiertalk.com/8-reasons-why-brown-rice-healthier-white-rice-3617
  • CRVDiva
    CRVDiva Posts: 104
    Options
    Well said. I totally agree with you, moderation and portion control are key.
    I think if various ethnic groups can have rice-based civilizations and not struggle with obesity as much as America does, then it can't be too bad for you. Moderation and portion control are key!
  • emmamcc1981
    emmamcc1981 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    RIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!! FTW!

i love it - all types. i mostly eat brown rice now but nothing beats sticky white rice with vinegar and salt on. oooooh nom, i'm hungry now!

can't believe there are actual people out there who actively hate rice?! are they mental? lols.
  • melissaslagle
    Options
    I must have my sushi....I am a sushi addict...I have lost 90 pounds so far on my quest and I eat rice a lot...everything in moderation!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I'd say "hate" but in general I try to avoid processed foods. I choose brown rice over white because it's less processed, has more fiber which helps with satiety and weight loss, and since it's more filling I can get full on less of it. Plus, I've grown to prefer the nutty taste of it.
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love rice. I know it isn't the best thing for my blood sugar, but I do love it.

It is also very easy to digest when you are not feeling well. Over the last few years, this has been a lot for me, so rice has been my friend.
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use pearl rice. It is white and is the same cals as brown rice. I only eat a 1/2 c. per serving and have lost weight. I really believe it is about portion control. :wink:
  • delilah47
    Options
    Anything white is bad if you are trying to lose weight!!

I'm not sure where this statement originated, but (I think) the author was a doofus.

As long as you keep track of what you are eating, you can eat anything you want and lose weight. I eat:
    White bread
    Potatoes
    White rice
    Cauliflower
    Pasta
    Popcorn
    ... and whatever else I want, white or not. I'm losing at my goal.. 1 pound per week, plus a few extra, since January.
  • ChinaLexie
    ChinaLexie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well, I live in Northeastern China. Rice (in moderation) WILL NOT make you fat. Period. I probably eat a little over 2 cups a day and that wasn't what caused my weight gain. What caused my weight gain was eating too much fried Chinese dishes and eating too many sweets that were leftovers from making them with my students. Oh, and the back problem I had for 3 months. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Like so many topics on MFP there seems to be confusion over the reasons for some dietary recommendations. Eating brown rice over white doesn't have much to do with weight loss. It has to do with medical health recommendations. White rice has much of the fiber removed which causes more of a spike in blood sugar levels when it's eaten. Fiber aids in digestion and can help prevent some dieases.