How do you say NO to cake?

Options

Replies

• fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I know that once I have anything that i'll think to myself it's ok it's only a small taste then BBBAAAAMMMMMM i'm doing it all the time. Basically I look at where I was and where i'm at and that usually makes the decision for me. Besides taste makes waste
  • Srmmelson
    Srmmelson Posts: 31
    Options
    You don't say no. You work it into your daily calorie intake and macros.
    Working out can help because you really start to ask yourself if something is worth it. I have started to think of things in terms of how much I needed to workout to burn it off. Ice cream is worth my workouts!
  • Kathleen_Presnell
    Kathleen_Presnell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Depends on how good it is and then I only take a small piece and log it! If there are other choices that are better I will do that~ but don't feel you fail if you do eat some...if you have the will power to walk away great job! But if it's a celebration or party why not take a little and log it! Move on and be proud that you didn't eat the whole thing.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    One other thing. If there is cake in the house, it's getting eaten. Fast. So I don't take cake home. Cake is one of two sweets weaknesses I have. The other is donuts. I give in to donuts whenever I have the calories to do so. It keeps me sane.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I actually find it fun to say, no thank you! It shows a step in the right direction everytime I say no to something that is not in my best interest. No I am certainly no saint, cause if you look at my diary, you will see one sweet thing at the end of the day, maybe a tootsie roll, maybe a mini-peppermint pattie, but I only allow that if I have the calories for it.

Actually the first week I started this, I probably made 3 or 4 cakes, some which I made for my parents, some I made for my partner. But my mindset was so strong and still is that saying "no" gives me a sense of empowerment over the old me. Believe me the day one of my sister's made a Kentucky Stack pie for a holiday dinner, I thought long and hard about eating a slice. It's my all time favorite and my sister even tucked a piece into my "go-home" basket. The first thing I did was empty the basket and throw it in the trash when I got home. I had to decide whether it was worth it to me and happily it was not.

But I agree with others too. If you can eat a tiny piece in moderation and work it into your calorie allotment, then that's up to you. i fight that same fight that you do when it comes to pizza. So I switched to Lean Cuisine pizza, which helps temper my longing for a pizza. But rarely and I mean very rarely I order a pizza and just make sure not to eat over my calorie goal for the day.

It's possible to eat anything in moderation and keep under your goal. Just dont make it a daily habit.
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    A Beginner's Guide to Refusing Food:

Step 1: Look to the left
    Step 2: Look to the right
    Step 3: Repeats steps 1 and 2 in rapid succession
    Step 4: Say, "no thanks."

My facial muscles know they can count on u :flowerforyou:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm I never say no. I just ask is this particular item is worth my calories.

Yesterday I went to Sam's club and they finally had my lemon meriguine pie that I absolutely love. It was worth my extra calories to have a piece so I did. That's not always the case though. I've learned how to control my desires.

Its a learning process that you have to practice doing. There has been plenty of times that I though I wanted something and once I got it I was like "this crap wasn't worth my calories". So I learned to really think about my choices before I indulge.
  • SueStubbs
    SueStubbs Posts: 17
    Options
    I don't say no to cake. I buy the weight watchers ice cream and i think they have brownies and cakes. Plus since my son ADHD he cant have alot of sugar. So i made a sugar free cake. It was only 200 calories a slice. There are ways to have the foods you like just have to look for it. good luck!
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Cake and other desserts are a tough one, especially when they are free. I take a regular sized piece. (I hate being the person that says "oh, just a little slice for me" It leaves more cake for everyone to feel pressured to eat.) If no one is around I'll take my two bites and throw the rest in the garbage right there.

If its a breakroom thing and people are around I have a two bites in front of everyone that's milling around, chat a little then head back to my desk and descreetly throw it away. Sometimes I can smell the delicous cake in the garbage can next to me, but then I grab a salt shaker and pour a ton of it on the cake. I'm not about to dumpster dive for that!

Its more difficult in circumstances where you can't get away from everyone to secretly throw away the desert, but if there are enough people I'll walk around and "accidently" leave the plate somewhere. With friends out for dinner I'm usually pretty full from the entree so spliting a dessert or just not ordering any isn't too hard.
  • Chaka_Kahn
    Chaka_Kahn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eat it and log it.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If it's something I REALLY want, I'll have a small piece and log it. More often than not, people are trying to pressure me into it - in that case, I usually make a joke of it and say, "No thanks, I'm trying to quit" I find that gets the point across without offending anyone.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Don't automatically say "yes" or "no." Do the math and make an informed decision. Can you fit it into your allotted numbers? Will you work out to make up for it? Is it worth it?
  • kyt1206
    kyt1206 Posts: 101
    Options
    jinx_portal_the-cake-is-a-lie.jpg

BEST ANSWER EVER!

Second!!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You look at the cake and ask, "Is it really good cake?" If the answer is yes, you eat the cake, log it and move on. If the answer is, "Not my favorite kind" or "the person who made it isn't really a good baker" or "It looks a little stale", you move on :)

haha I do this. If it was bought pre-made from a grocery store I just say no thanks because I know I can make something better myself. And half the time things that show up in our office aren't usually fresh. A lot of groups have meetings in our building with pastries etc and the leftovers just show up in our kitchen area. Gee thanks, we really need those picked-through sweets from your morning meeting that are 5+ hours old now.

I also think of it in calories. If it looks really good, I think okay that's a DEFINITE 30 minutes running today, etc. As long as it's a once in a great while thing, I don't fret.
  • bsauls
    bsauls Posts: 2
    Options
    Exercise more, the more I work out the less I crave the things I should not eat. My weakness is Booze! But indulge in that and it's very hard to get through the workout the next day. I still have my treats and the occasional mixed drink but it's getting less as time goes on
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    i cant say no to cake, which is the reason I dont eat it..at all.

For me I just cant stop at 1 slice..i have to have the entire thing, or want more and more and more and....(you get the idea).

So in my mind i know if i have 1 slice, i will end up eating more and therefore ruin my efforts...so weirdly i now find it easy to say no, because i know its not worth it.

That's how I feel about soda. I know for some people they have it in moderation because they enjoy it, and don't want to give it up - which is fine for them - I just know I couldn't do it.

As for cake - I'm not a big fan, so not a huge problem for me.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    On some days, a piece of cake is totally worth the calories and other days it's not. If it's a day when it's worth it, I say yes and eat a small piece. Track it and move on.
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    Say the "N" before the "O"
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I usually just say no thanks.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You look at the cake and ask, "Is it really good cake?" If the answer is yes, you eat the cake, log it and move on. If the answer is, "Not my favorite kind" or "the person who made it isn't really a good baker" or "It looks a little stale", you move on :)

I used to eat all cakes, cookie, brownies, candies. Now, I still eat those things, but I'm waaaay pickier about them. The calories have to be worth it. If they are, I don't look back. If not, I don't eat it. I also sometimes take a bite, decide I don't really like it, and don't finish. At one time, I would have finished it just because it was there. I'm trying to get into a moderation mindset so I can maintain my weight, because a total denial one does not work for me long term. I think we all find our own balance.

THIS! ^^