Why do guys stare at women lifters?

Options

Replies

• gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    I am glad you brought it up because I have heard people that try to say guys dont stare and its us being paranoid. I will agree that I have caught people staring.I do laugh at the ones that try to be sneaky and use their mirrors or peripheal vision.. still obvious.

I think it's so funny when I see them looking in the mirror at me. haha
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy but thought I'd give my opinion:

I wouldn't say I "stare", staring is rude, but I'd look at any women lifting too! I'm the only female at my gym so if a woman walked in (which they do every now and then) and especially if they started lifting, I'd be surprised! That said, if I saw them regularly, that surprise would go.

I may still look at them lifting occasionally, but it's not anymore than I would for guys lifting. I watch guys lift most days when I'm in between sets, I just don't stare and make it obvious. Reasons for watching guys lift:
    1) Wow, that's a lot of weight!
    2) Ooh he's not lifting that much more than me *new goal: lift more than that guy!*
    3) His form is terrible!
    4) I wonder how many more sets he has *while waiting to use said equipment* - I will usually ask him this afterwards, just not while he's actually lifting, obviously!
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It's the only place I get stares anymore... I don't question miracles!!!! :tongue:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's hawt. Simples.
  • fragilestrength
    Options
    I don't like it at all :(

I feel like I'm under a microscope, they are so rude!

And some snicker :|
  • Dazzajes83
    Options
    We just want the bench, hurry up ;)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I think they stare because they have nothing better to do.

I just started barbell lifting and I catch guys staring at me.. when I'm on my own and when I'm with my trainer. Mainly because at my gym it's such a rarity to see girls grab a barbell like they know what they are doing and bust out lifts.. Most girls either grab the dumbells, hit the machines or just mess around and giggle at the personal trainers.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

Snort..that was funny!
  • sphinxdust
    sphinxdust Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I always feel like I am doing the exercise wrong when people stare. Yesterday I actually asked one of the guys there to show me how to do a bunch of different lifts and proper form. It was helpful and I didn't feel like a complete *kitten* afterwards either. Hopefully I don't lose that confidence next time I enter the weight room.
    You're not the only one! I am happiest when the gym is empty. It's easy for it to get all in your head when some dude is eyeballin' you.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Hehehe...yep that's probably true 90% of the time. Girls need to stop being so self conscious and just do your work. Who cares if they stare?!? Btw, I met my husband in a gym. He stared. I stared. 13 years, 2 kids, and 30 lbs later, and guess what??...I'm BACK at the gym trying to get my body back. Lol. And I don't care if I'm all alone or surrounded by meatheads...my workout is getting done! :glasses:
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this too and I don't like it. It makes me very uncomfortable but I just try to ignore it and go about my business.
  • LadyDiaw
    LadyDiaw Posts: 10
    Options
    I've ran into the same situation. The other day I even had a guy say wow, you are lifting the same amount as me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Because a heavy liftin' lady is a thing of beauty!
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I only got looks when I wore muscle shirts and did anything with my shoulders.. Normally they would pretend they weren't watching then the next time I go into the gym, I see half of them doing what I was doing last week :laugh: I have kind of large biceps.

I try to iggnore it.. It's hard though as a woman because you are always wondering what is going through their mind.. Unfortunately, because my hair is always sticking up out of my ponytail, I'm sweaty, I have freakishly huge biceps and a muscle shirt on. I have a pretty good idea what their thinking :grumble: unfortunately.. I will probably never meet a man in a gym LOL!! ahhh well..
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    ya look at others training whilst you are between sets and your a perv, look at your self in the mirror between sets your vain.... are we supposed to rest with our eyes shut ?????
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    "Admiration" pure and simple.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Because a heavy liftin' lady is a thing of beauty!

^^ My hero!! :wink:
  • willthelean61
    Options
    Definitely a question for the ages
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    They could have different reasons, so you might have to ask each starer if you're really curious. My guess is that they're curious about something. I suggest you ignore and concentrate on your lifting. Don't let them distract you, as that could be dangerous. As long as they don't bother you, does it really matter? Learn to ignore.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    How do you know they're looking at you, unless you're looking at them..?