Why do guys stare at women lifters?

Options

Replies

• dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm going to check out a good looking woman! I don't care if you're lifting weights or on the treadmill or pushing a shopping cart at the grocery store. I offer no apologies for that.

If I'm staring like a slack jawed idiot and creeping you out, then I'll have something to apologize for.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I actually like it when they stare. That's when I get to show off that I can lift more then they can. :laugh: Actually, whats funny is when I bust out a set of heavy bench presses and then watch their faces in the mirror as I do pec pops. I can only do pec pops after a heavy bench workout because I need the muscle pump to help me with it, but the shocked look on the faces of the guys in my gym to see a woman do it is hilarious!

Oh, and if you don't want them to stare, don't wear a trainer, group exercise instructor, or exercise physiology major shirt. I didn't feel like was being watched at the gym where I currently go and then one day I suddenly noticed that half the gym was staring at me while I worked out. I realized it was because I was wearing my exercise physiology majors club shirt. If they know you're educated in fitness, they will watch you more so that they can learn proper form. I also get a ton of questions when I wear one of those shirts at the gym, even when I'm working out at the gym where I don't work. If you look like you know what you are doing, you may be getting some beginners who are watching you to learn what to do.
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I actually never know when people are staring. I had a friend I'd not seen in awhile pointedly stare at me for 10 minutes to try to get my attention. Finally he had to come stand right beside me before he got my attention. When he was close I could feel his creepy stare! haha. But I get in such a zone (possibly just existing in my own little world) I never know who is around. Plus, I TRY not to stare at others. And its hard to catch people staring if you aren't looking at them, lol.
  • kellyo15
    kellyo15 Posts: 51
    Options
    My most amusing experience with stares while lifting actually came from a dude who thought I was checking him out! I was looking at the clock on the wall to make sure I was only taking like 45 seconds to rest in between sets, and dude walks over, stands right in front of my line of sight (where I'm already looking) and starts doing bicep curls. I even craned my neck to clearly look around him but managed to make eye contact and he starts grinning like an idiot at me. I wanted to tell him I was just looking at the clock behind him but I figured he seemed flattered, so what the heck. Maybe I made his day, haha.

Most of the time, I am too focused on my own workout to really pay attention to other people in the gym and whether or not they're looking at me. If I catch someone staring at me, I assume it's something like that - either they're looking at something or someone around me (and not actually directly at me!), or I look familiar, or they want to use whatever I am currently using. If it's really making you uncomfortable, say something to them! It doesn't have to be "Leave me alone, you're creeping me out!" but you could say "are you waiting for this?" to snap them out of it.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Well here's a couple of reasons...

1) Is she lifting too much weight, her form needs to be fixed..should I say something or should I ask..if I do, she may kick me in the **** thinking I'm picking up on her..

2) Wow, she's amazing and can lift a ton of weight, great form!

3) Is she married, attached, can I have her :wink:

4) Is she almost done, so I can use the machine, as well... (At our gym...the guys tend to sit there, on the weight machines, stare at the girls coming out of the group classes..bahaha, and they totally make themselves known!)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's my job. And to stare at the men as well.

Somebody's got to do it.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I used to lift heavy years ago and I remember the stares very well. They'd even stare when I was there with my boyfriend at the time. It made me uncomfortable at first. As women we have to have a certain awareness that men don't. Once I realized everyone was (relatively) harmless and knew that my form was good I didn't notice as much.

I remember getting stares from the women who were outside of the lifting area. This was almost 20 years ago so women were not often seen in the weight area. I felt a bit like a freak with everyone watching me but I didn't let that stop me. :)
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I always feel like I am doing the exercise wrong when people stare. Yesterday I actually asked one of the guys there to show me how to do a bunch of different lifts and proper form. It was helpful and I didn't feel like a complete *kitten* afterwards either. Hopefully I don't lose that confidence next time I enter the weight room.

Careful alot of male lifters do not use proper form cuz they try to lift too heavy before they are ready. Lat pull downs on a machine is a perfect example. Ask a trainer for help.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    because they're scared we will outlift them ;)
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    ... because we look so freakin' hott lifting weights.
  • scott1080
    scott1080 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    because a women who cares about there body is a thing of beauty weather they are in shape or not quite yet they are giving it there all.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i think its the safety thing! which is kinda annoying.. but actually once i was bench pressing weight and i couldn't lift the bar back up LOL but a guy was there immediately to help me!! so i guess it can be beneficial at times...
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    because it's hot.

Yup! If girls do it right it can attract some eyes. Doesn't make me uncomfortable
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Because it doesn't happen all too often. And women who lift are pretty sexy.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    1) Hmmm, a girl lifting...fascinating! How much weight is she using?
    2) oh, oh, oh shes HOTT!
    3) ****, hope she doesn't hurt something

On a side note, all the guy compliments are making me want to the gym right now! lol :laugh:
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    Options
    I go to the gym with my music playing and my head down, getting down to business. Yes, every once in a while I catch a beauty come in and start to throw the weights around, but my time is limited and I do my business and move on. The guys that focus in on women are usually looking that woman that comes in the gym, with the tighest outfit and a thirsty camel!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i guess some women don't want me to hurt myself either
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    You're ALL wrong. Men always look at women... you just happen to notice it more because you're trapped in the same small area as them, and you have mirrors all around them to catch them looking. Put a bunch of women in a small room with mirrors, and they stare at each other just as much.

Honestly, I never look at a girl lifting, and think "she's strong" or anything like that. I merely think... "look... girl... me like!"

Edited to add: :tongue:
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I will admit I look, but I don't stare. It would make me uncomfortable if someone stared at me. However, I look because I find it impressive when I see a woman lifting. It's not that I don't think they can do it, it's just that I don't actually see many lifting at the ymca I go to. I admire their confidence to get in the arena and go for it. I do look more than once though because some woman are just too damn hot not to look twice. Kudos to you alL who do lift!!
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I watch them to make sure they aren't watching me =P

Oh my GOSH! this is my answer! lol, at the store at the GYM on my walk