What is the obsession with thigh gaps?

Options

Replies

• kbubbles87
    kbubbles87 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a thigh gap! It SUCKS when I wear a dress or skirt and my thighs rub together to the point where they actually burn! hehe =(
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I have a thigh gap

You jelly?

;P
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I should post pics of a few of the men and women here in South Korea. Then nobody will want a "thigh gap" larger than a pencil width. It looks odd - to say the least and in my opinion.
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I've had 'Thunder Thighs' forever. In the summer I would wear a skirt and my thighs would be so sore after walking. They would rub together and cause a rash and sometimes bleeding. I'm 24lbs lighter and I've noticed a small gap appearing when I stand. Its a lovely feeling. I always hated my thighs more than any other part of my body and now I'm noticing a change =) Thigh gaps are great.

^^^this.
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Even at my thinnest (which was too thin as I'd been ill) my thighs met in the middle. They didn't chafe or anything, it's just the way my legs were/are. I must be lucky in that even at my heaviest, I never got chafing unless it was incredibly cold weather, and even then, it's wasn't particularly bad. I've never found a large thigh gap particularly attractive - it usually makes people look like they're barely strong enough to stand (we're talking the uber skinny models who have large thigh gaps here - I think that lookd hideous!). A nice, shapely, toned thigh is what I'm aiming for. :)

18176012.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Well my BMI is at the high end of normal, and I have over a stone left to lose before I reach my goal, and I already have a small gap at the top of my thighs when I stand up straight and look in the mirror. So I will undoubtably have a noticeable one when I'm done.. but I won't be anywhere near underweight! I'd never specifically AIM for one though.
  • PlasticPsycho
    Options
    I dunno, I just think they look better :/
    I'll probably never have that gap cuz my body is just built differently but I'm trying to get closest I can be by exercising and burning fat.
  • noushsoup
    Options
    Mind the Gap Mondays :D ....Google it! :laugh: :love:

I think the gap is probably one of the most attractive things on a woman. That and a toned stomach :love:
  • Tasha_uk
    Tasha_uk Posts: 70
    Options
    hmmm, i'm not too sure about thigh gaps.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    the ricketts look is in?

Hey now. :grumble:
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say I have never looked, and don't give a hoot! At 58 I am surprised to hear that there is an aspect of women's vanity of which I am completely and blissfully unaware. Perhaps I have always been too focused on my stomach to worry about what goes on below it. In any event, I am happy not to be afflicted with "thigh gap envy."
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    the ricketts look is in?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :sad: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    The funny thing is, I have this little gap between my thighs right now, and I suspect it'll get bigger as I lose weight.

But..

it's nothing I'd aspire to. Go on Tumblr, and you've got 13 year old girls posting pictures of ugly skinny girls with legs the size of my arms, and crying because they can't get a 10cm gap between their thighs. Pathetic.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    No matter how skinny I've been, even under 100lb, my thighs touch. For some women, that is simply how their body fat is distributed and a healthy woman will always have body fat. For other women, their body fat isn't arranged like that and their thighs won't touch if they're a healthy weight. But to deliberately seek to achieve this as a goal seems bizarre.

I've always wondered whether this crazy obsession is linked to men (and women's!) equally crazy obsession with the size of a man's appendage. The idea being that the less that gets in the way of a chap getting right there and giving a woman a jolly good seeing to, the more it seems as if they have to offer...

Or maybe it's that whole thing of some men (and women!) liking the look of women with a prepubescent image, such as zero body hair, no breasts, no hips, &c. basically not liking everything that happens to a girl when she becomes a woman.

Neither seems sensible, but they're the only ideas I can come up with.

I like your thinking.
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks thigh gaps are gross. He likes "womanly" curvy thighs. Sometimes I think the thigh gap makes a woman look sorta broken. It looks like someone snapped her legs. On the other hand, I HATE the big girl inner thigh chub rub. Maybe a happy medium would be my goal.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I think it has to do with having wider hips and low body fat. I want my thighs to touch, but when I sit down on a chair or toilet seat, I do not want them to balloon out to 3x their standing size.

LMFAO - "I do not want them to balloon out to 3x their standing size" :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :sad: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    When my thighs touch and I'm wearing a skirt or dress they chafe and it's so painful, so I have to wear spandex shorts underneath. When I was younger by jeans would get ruined because of the rubbing, so I'd end up with lots of holes in between my legs. So I would prefer to have a gap to prevent this. At my thinnest (140lbs) I had the gap and it was relieving but other than that I don't want a gap just because of appearances. If I was thinner and didn't have it, I don't think I would care much to be honest :P
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks thigh gaps are gross. He likes "womanly" curvy thighs. Sometimes I think the thigh gap makes a woman look sorta broken. It looks like someone snapped her legs. On the other hand, I HATE the big girl inner thigh chub rub. Maybe a happy medium would be my goal.

You beat me to it!

My friends and I used to call that painful inner thigh chafing "chub rub," and it's truly awful. I will probably never have a thigh gap, and that's okay, because I'm in love with my muscular legs and quite happy I can wear a skirt in the summer without repercussions! :laugh:
  • sebbysmommy
    sebbysmommy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When my thighs touch and I'm wearing a skirt or dress they chafe and it's so painful, so I have to wear spandex shorts underneath. When I was younger by jeans would get ruined because of the rubbing, so I'd end up with lots of holes in between my legs. So I would prefer to have a gap to prevent this.
    +1
  • WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    24d34fc.jpg

Why I haven't the faintest idea. :laugh:

But I kid. It's aesthetics. (partially) Some people just think it looks better. I personally, would love a gap. All of my jeans wear straight through in THE worst possible way. I am very tired of buying new pants. Chub rub is no fun. At all.
This discussion has been closed.