to all women! - clothing size and bmi

Options

Replies

• dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options

Obviously all women come in different shapes and sizes. My sister in law is smaller/lighter than I am, but she literally can't fit a size 28 around her hips. Some women have more muscle, some have bigger behinds, etc. I highly doubt people would come on here anonymously and then lie about their sizes. I am completely honest when I say that I am 5'10", 152 lbs and wear either a size 4 or 6. I've had people balk at this, but I have the measurements to support it - my waist is 27 inches and my hips are 35 inches. I have quite a bit of muscle and I've always just weighed more. Who knows - I don't really give a rip about what the scales says anyway.

These sorts of threads are dangerous for people who expect to have the same results as the person next to them - it's just not going to happen in all cases. Enjoy your 8s and 10s and your athletic and curvy body! Embrace it and don't worry about everyone else.

I couldnt agree with you more... I am 5'2 121 pounds .. my bmi is 22.1 .. and I wear a 5/6.

159607137230.jpg
  • Nancyh20
    Nancyh20 Posts: 2
    Options
    Learned a lot recently about my perceptions about myself and others. I am five foot tall and have recently lost twenty pounds. I have always been concerned about my BMI and always harshly compared myself to other women. Recently got the courage to have a session with a personnel trainer she gave me important kind advice. The numbers are guides but we must take into account how we feel and the importance of nourishing our bodies with a variety of foods. Too often she has seen people overly concerned with the numbers they don't fuel their bodies properly.

I am slowly learning to accept my body and to treat it with kindness. Each of us is truly adorable. Sorry for the mini sermon. just something to consider.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and currently 156lbs and I wear a M/L in shirts and 8/10 in pants. My BMI is a little over 27.
  • jilltaylor86
    jilltaylor86 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    5'8, 150 lbs, wear a size 10 in pants and medium in shirts, don't know what my bmi is but my body fat is 24%. I used to be quit muscular and fit and weighed 160 lbs and wore an 8-10 that was loose, so the amount of body fat matters.
  • 280days_keto
    280days_keto Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    5'4
    153lbs
    26.3 bmi (overweight)
    32% BF
    size 8-10
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I was just wondering what people's sizes typically are at a certain BMI. I'm at a 22 BMI which supposedly just above middle (21.75) of the healthy range and I wear a size 8,10, sometimes 12. Usually 10 these days. Here are my stats:

5'8"
    145 lbs.
    BMI 22.0
    BF: 23.6%
    Size: 8-10-12 (it's all over the place depending on stores)
    I usually have to buy Women's Large for shirts, men's small.

I guess i'm asking because when I started I was 175 and size 14, women's large. I don't know if it's my tall build or what but I don't fit into those other sizes anymore but i'm still pretty large in the women's department.
    I imagine I have another 10-15 pounds to go until I get to be fit looking and get my BF down to 20% or so. But going from 36%-23.6% and my size isn't too much lower! I know people who are 5'2", 135lbs. and wear size Small, but that's crazy to me since their bmi would be 23.9.

Can we get a sample aggregation going? I'm curious if it's my body type or if tall girls just end up wearing bigger sizes?? I'm very lemon shaped..small boobs, thin legs..large middle. HAH!

I'm the exact same stats as you!! Except I'm an hourglass shape. I'm from Ireland, mainly a size 10-12, medium to large in clothes sizes. I'll never be a small size because I'm tall and definately not petite :-)
  • kirstand
    kirstand Posts: 76
    Options
    5' 5"
    138 lbs
    bmi 22

size NZ 10-12
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'9
    Weight: 148.4
    BMI: 21.9
    Size: generally an 8
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Trust me... tall girls wear bigger sizes.

I know a little bit about commercial garment making, and yes, the assumption is that as the size gets bigger the customer is taller.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    5'2"
    139 lbs
    BMI: 25.4
    BF ???? No clue
    Size: 6 - 8 right now. Easter dress was an 8P

Yep, the smaller sizes has a lot to do with height.
  • sophie428
    sophie428 Posts: 27
    Options
    That really just goes to show you that body shape and weight distribution makes a huge difference. I'm 5"11 and my SW was 248 lbs I was wearing size 16-18 depending on the store.
  • montlucia
    montlucia Posts: 90
    Options
    5ft 5"
    180 lbs
    I generally wear size 12-14 (uk sizes), medium in shirts. Everything I have tends to get taken in at the waist, and clothes in my wardrobe range from size 8-14.
    BMI: 30. :/ - I'm surprised by the "obese" rating but I have a pretty big bone structure.
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Ok

5'7
    bmi: 19.5ish
    bf: around 20%
    Size: 2-4 in jeans, small tops....

Really working on building muscle and getting STRONG!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I don't think this information is very meaningful, but:

5' 2"
    Weight:About 102
    BF percentage: About 20, at least according to one scale.
    BMI: 18.7, according to the calculator I just used. (Normal Range)

Tops: Petite 0 to 2
    Bottoms: Petite 2 to 4
  • tanyaleighcummings
    Options
    At 5ft 8 I weigh 193.4 with a bmi of 29.5
    I wear a size large in tops and a size 14 Tall in jeans.

When shipping I always grab sizes all over the place but invariably these are the only ones that fit. Go figure.
  • enaptwo
    enaptwo Posts: 1
    Options
    This is a very interesting survey. I'm
    140lbs
    BMI 22.5
    size 8- 10

P.S. I feel so fat being an 8/10 but just looked at the bmi charts and 22bmi is no where near overweight. Media is f***ed up!
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    5 ft 7
    187 pounds
    BMI 29.3%
    BF- no idea and prefer to keep it that way
    clothing size generally a 12. I do have the odd 10 and the odd 14. I am pear so my waist is probably size 8 and my hips sz 14 lol
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'3.5
    Weight: 128
    BMI: 22.7
    Waist: 27.5
    Hips: 37.5
    Bust: 32D

Clothing size: 10-12UK, 6-8US. Depends on the style of dress (i only wear dresses). If the dress is very structured I need a UK12 US8 to accomodate my bust and hips (but the waist will probably be baggy). If it's flowy I can go with a UK10 US6
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My BMI is currently 26.4. 30% bodyfat. I am 5'4" tall, and i wear a size 6-8 in department store clothes, 10 in designer (because i have broad shoulders!).
  • merie08
    merie08 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus

this bmi calculator is cool because it tells your if your body shape, or your clothing size is healthy and proportionate to your weight. it tells me my bmi is in the overweight category, but i have a healthy body shape