What is the obsession with thigh gaps?

Options

Replies

• colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The idea being that the less that gets in the way of a chap getting right there and giving a woman a jolly good seeing to, the more it seems as if they have to offer...

This response was actually pretty deep, and psychological, which I loved - but the quotation above made me laugh - thanks! :D
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'm more obsessed with how awesomely muscular my thighs are.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I've had 'Thunder Thighs' forever. In the summer I would wear a skirt and my thighs would be so sore after walking. They would rub together and cause a rash and sometimes bleeding. I'm 24lbs lighter and I've noticed a small gap appearing when I stand. Its a lovely feeling. I always hated my thighs more than any other part of my body and now I'm noticing a change =) Thigh gaps are great.

^^this. I may not be at my goal weight, but my thighs no longer rub together when I walk. It is the best thing in the world not to have heat rash or chafing. I used to have a hate/hate relationship with pantyhose - and my Mom always insisted I wear them. Now I just wear spanx for the support, but thank goodness than pantyhose is pretty much out except for the rare occasion. Natural legs are more sexy.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I'll never have one. I'm ok with it.

I didn't even know this was something I needed to be self conscious about until like a year ago.
    Worry about how my boobs look? Check! How does my *kitten* look? Check! How does my stomach look? Check! Fat arms? Check!
    Thigh gap? WTF is a thigh gap? Oh I have to worry about this **** now? Nope, no go, eff that
  • GIDGEFIT7
    Options
    I can't comprehend the obsession at all. I've never the thigh gap & don't want it. I guess it's just different strokes for different folks.
  • GIDGEFIT7
    Options
    By the way I've always been what's called closed built - which means my thighs have always touched no matter how much I have weighed. I've never had the problem of chafing or bleeding or any disconfort concerning my thighs. I know I'm not the only one.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I guess it would just be nice if my inner thighs didn't wobble like jelly and rub together so much i look like i've pooped myself from the pain!! I just want to wear a skirt this summer and not have to wear tights!

Baby powder. Or deodorant. :)
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    The most I'd want would be the little diamond between thigh and vadge. I'm filipino, so my legs are HUGE, even when I was at my goal weight. I can only dream of non-rubbing thighs. D:
  • kellyhumphrey
    kellyhumphrey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Even when I was 102 lbs and a size 2 I never had a gap.. I've always been shapely in the butt/thighs even when I was skinnier. My cousin was the same height/weight as me and had one... but she was also muscular and looked bow-legged with no shape to her body (boy-ish). Everyone is build different I guess...

I don't think it's attractive personally, so I'm glad I don't and will never have it.. my husband's glad about that too :)
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m24vx9ecz11rnqqxjo1_500.jpg

Yeah, no thigh gap there. And she's in shorts. Proof that not all people with lack of thigh gap start fires, although we think we do. ;)

That woman is at the peak of fitness, so ladies, don't try to obtain something you just weren't meant to have. I think some people should think about the gaps in their education than between their thighs.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m24vx9ecz11rnqqxjo1_500.jpg

Yeah, no thigh gap there. And she's in shorts. Proof that not all people with lack of thigh gap start fires, although we think we do. ;)

That woman is at the peak of fitness, so ladies, don't try to obtain something you just weren't meant to have. I think some people should think about the gaps in their education than between their thighs.

Exactly!!! I was flab and thigh gap 30 lbs heavier and I'd much rather look like ^This lol
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends a bit on the shape of your legs, but I have this when I am in normal weight and I find it sexy. Also when I get fatter it comes together and it chafes - nothing makes me feel less sexy than thigh rub.

This. This is what happens with me.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I don't want the thigh gap "because it's what all the skinny girls have"...I want it so my thighs will stop rubbing and getting irritated!! I used to never have this probalem as a teen and now as an adult, this is just rediculous! I live in Georgia and it's so hot and humid outside, I cannot wear shorts/a dress/a skirt for a whole day without them starting to rub after just a little while. I don't know why people are making this a trend :/
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I am one of those guys with normal legs, but when I got fat, the legs stayed the same while my upper body ballooned.
    I looked like a freak of nature.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I tried to read through all of the responses and I didn't see anyone say what to do for thigh chafing. When I started my new lifestyle, mine got so sore and chafed that I ended up with a yeast skin infection on my thighs! And mine weren't even that big, maybe 24 inches on one thigh. It was VERY painful and for that reason I prayed for a 'thigh gap', although I didn't even know there was a name for it. lol
    I researched the problem and found that a product named Glide works wonders. I bought some at ****s sporting goods but you can buy it online, in some drugs stores, etc. It was a Godsend. It's like a stick of deodorant, you rub it on your thighs and it stops all chafing. It feels kind of 'gummy' at first but after you start to sweat you can't even tell you're using it. There are a few other brands out there but I never tried them.
    I gladly can say I don't have the problem anymore, but it was nice to have something that helped when I needed it. :)

Edited because MFP censored the name of the store. It starts with a D and ends in ick's. :)
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I had a good one going and it was gross. Thank goodness I've gained muscle. Its almost gone!!!!:happy:
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Girls on tumblr seem to be obsessed with having a thigh gap. I had one when I weighed 114 lbs... but that wasn't a healthy weight for me! I don't care about a thigh gap, I just wanna be healthy and fit.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I am one of those guys with normal legs, but when I got fat, the legs stayed the same while my upper body ballooned.
    I looked like a freak of nature.

Apple shape :D

My ex is like that.
  • Scalesareforthefishes
    Scalesareforthefishes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have really wide hips. I've always had one but since I lost weight it got bigger.
    I don't even notice it though.
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hi Folks,

This topic has been locked. The OP got plenty of information in regards to their question, but there are numerous violations for posting pictures of people in their skivvies. Please keep the guidelines in mind when posting, if you have to question whether you should post it, best not to post it. The guideline in question states:
    12. No Profane, Vulgar, Sexually Explicit or Illegal Images

All images on the site, including all profile pictures and images posted in the forums, should be work-place friendly. While we reserve the right to remove any photo we feel is inappropriate, here are some partial guidelines as to what is not acceptable:

- no nudity
    - no underwear, thongs, g-strings, or banana hammocks
    - no photos in which hands or objects are the only bodily covering
    - no excessive cleavage (if you would wear it to work, it’s probably OK)
    - no close-up shots of cleavage, butt, breasts or crotch in any state of dress
    - no hateful or violent imagery
    - no images containing profanity

If you are photographing yourself to demonstrate successful weight loss, tight fitting spandex is a great way to show the change in your shape, while still abiding by these guidelines. Photos altered to present inaccurate weight-loss results are prohibited. Please keep the experience at MyFitnessPal encouraging by keeping your "success" photos authentic.

This post may be deleted at any time. If you would like to review the guidelines you can do so here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines"

Thank you in advance for your cooperation and understanding.

Cheers,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.